Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

DJI Phantom 2 and 2.4GHz interference

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

DJI Phantom 2 and 2.4GHz interference

Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DJI Phantom 2 and 2.4GHz interference

Something that many may not be aware of;

A recent article in the Canadian Model Association Mag advises that the Phantom 2 cannot be allowed to operate around regular model aviation clubs or events.

Apparently the Phantom uses 2.4GHz to stream the video with a WiFi booster which can potentially interfere / blank out other 2.4GHz remote control links.

Not a good scenario in a club or event environment.

Something that regular clubs members and event organizers should look into.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Interesting. We have them at our club and never had an issue
Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM
W7APD Alan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are some questions to ask about DJI's 2.4GHz downlink.... but .... if they are using a compatible spread spectrum method, or even if their downlink just sits on one of the 2.4GHz channels, it wouldn't really be a problem until you had dozens of models in the air all at once, and perhaps not even then.

I'm thinking about Spektrum's "showoff" trick, where they put 100 DSMX transmitters on a table, turn them all on, and then fly all kinds of models. The reality is that even if your system occasionally hits on the same channel the DJI downlink is using, it would be no different than what happens when there are multiple models all using any of the spread spectrum radios. It would lose that frame of data, move on to the next channel and get the same data again. Odds of a lockout are probably pretty slim...