Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Screwing your Buddy in the classifieds

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: As Seller what would be your course of action?
Sell to First Bidder at asking price
85.05%
Sell to First Bidder at revised highest price
1.78%
Sell to Bidder with highest offer
12.46%
Relist or Revise item and delete all current bids
0.71%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Screwing your Buddy in the classifieds

Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Silver Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your poll was a little deceptive,at first glance it appears to be comparing an open Auction only to find after reading further in the post it is referring to classified selling in RCU. Of course it should go to the one meeting the sellers asking price not the later higher price, it is not an auction.IMO
Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Originally Posted by Silver Flyer
Your poll was a little deceptive,at first glance it appears to be comparing an open Auction only to find after reading further in the post it is referring to classified selling in RCU. Of course it should go to the one meeting the sellers asking price not the later higher price, it is not an auction.IMO
Glancing can be deceptive. A good long stare proves better at understanding what your looking at....although sometimes unsettling to the observed.

Here is a short run down of the Poll questions based on the initial post. What would be the best course of action for you as the Seller to do? Would you accept the First Buyer's full price offer which you have already verbally agreed to? How about accepting a later offer from someone else that is offering more money than your full asking price? Perhaps you would contact the First Buyer and offer a revised higher price for the item based on a later offer? Lastly, maybe you are dating the two ladies bidding on your item and you can't decide, so you cancel or revise your listing so you don't have to deal with them? There are a lot of what if's that don't apply..."what if" the Seller didn't know the value of what he was selling and so on and so forth, "what if" it was a father's wayward son who was selling his dad's collection in an effort to gain attention..."what it" 'what if'...no... no 'what if's"....we are sticking with the basic everyday trade or sale that is made on this site....you all know what I'm talking about...between parties that know what they are buying and what they are selling.

Last edited by DISCUS54; 04-09-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:55 PM
MrShoes
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone I have ever met in this hobby have been nice honest people and the poll reflects that. But there are some rotten people in society too. A price is set for an item and if the a seller and buyer agree, offer accepted, then the deal is done. Anyone that doesn't keep their word can not be trusted and has no integrity.

Last edited by MrShoes; 04-09-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by radiisteve
For instance, I went to a flee market at a local field last weekend (told of the night before) not prepared as I would like and had stuffed the 'Burb with over half my loved items because times are tuff (aren't they for everyone) , and upon arriving was inundated by buyers (with people I didn't know) before getting unloaded, and was asked over and over to quote prices ( I started around 75% of my purchase price typically) and later someone came up to me on an items at my table asking for a price and when i said a price higher than before (I had forgotten in the melee) he said, "hey it was $150 before". Thinking that ok it sounded close to right I said "OK, if I said $150 then $150 it is", and we made the deal. I did better that I've ever done last weekend whether it was having my best stuff or how I made the deals with honesty (even at ave 77% pricing). In our sport as in life, how we treat each other comes back either good or bad, you get back what you give (sometimes).
Gotta slightly disagree with this. Your asking price (in australia at least) is an invitation to treat and doesn't meet the definition of an offer, therefore you are under no obligation to sell to anyone if they offer you the "asking price" because their offer is simply the first part of the contract. It's only when you agree to their offer that the 2nd condition is met for a contract of sale to exist. This protects businesses from having to sell if they have the wrong price on the sticker or in an advert.

As for jacking up the price after sombody walks away without making you an offer then that's legally and morally OK, BUT it still might upset that customer when they return later, and the customer is supposed to be always right
Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM
robwiljas

I voted that I would sell to the higher offer but I missed the part where the seller already accepted the first offer. I don't care if it's through RCU or email or verbally or whatever, once you make a deal you should stick to it.

I actually had something like this happen when selling an old car. I was asking $500, a guy came to look at it and offered me $400 and I accepted. Just then someone else drove up and I told him sorry I already told the other one he could have it. Without even looking at the car the second guy said he'd give me $550 for it. I sold it to the first guy for $400.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by robwiIjas
I voted that I would sell to the higher offer but I missed the part where the seller already accepted the first offer. I don't care if it's through RCU or email or verbally or whatever, once you make a deal you should stick to it.

I actually had something like this happen when selling an old car. I was asking $500, a guy came to look at it and offered me $400 and I accepted. Just then someone else drove up and I told him sorry I already told the other one he could have it. Without even looking at the car the second guy said he'd give me $550 for it. I sold it to the first guy for $400.
Bravo! More people need to maintain that kind of integrity
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Dreddi
Bravo! More people need to maintain that kind of integrity
The thing is you cannot sell the same item twice. And for the time the second buyer came along, you had sold the item already. It was not yours to sell again:-)

Nowadays with e-mail confirmations, we even get a confirmation in written form that an agreement has been reached...

Look at it the other way, if an agreement is reached and the owner says: well, I now changed my mind, now I want xxx for it. It is the same thing.

And how about is the buyer says (after agreeing to the purchase, and the conditions of the seller), well, I said $400, but now I just want to give you $350.

These are just some examples of low life standard procedures. Either way, I would stay away from these kind of characters...

Gerry
Old 04-09-2014, 04:59 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

My actions and expectation of others would be simple. I would sell to the first person who meets the offer. If a person offers significantly less, I may choose to hold off accepting the offer to see if I get an offer closer to my asking price. But once I tell someone it's theirs, I follow through as long as they hold up their part of the deal. Same way I deal selling a lawnmower or ski rack on Craig's list.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Sad to see the percentage of people who would sell to highest bidder, after they already agreed on price and "committed" to sell to someone else, is going up. My wife and I say people like that have "entitlement issues" as in they think they are entitled to this or that....it's their right. It doesn't matter that they made an agreement, or gave their word, they are entitled to get the most they can! The bad thing is, this type behavior spills over into our day to day lives, and it's excepted.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Battle Short
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too chose "Highest bidder".

If "Honor first ACCEPTED offer" had been an option I would have chosen that (someone already made a similar point).

I do firmly believe in integrity and in honoring a deal already made; but I also realize we live in a capitalistic country and believe a person has every right to get top dollar for an item they are selling.

I have put in offers of asking price before and later been told they were selling it to another person. It's their item, they can sell it to whomever for whatever they wish. Even if the other person put in their offer after I did, it does not bother me provided I was not told they were going to sell it to me.

So to sum it up I would still choose "Highest bidder" but agree the OP should have gotten the item because the seller agreed to sell it to him at a set price.

Glenn
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 PM
On2_n_On4

I don't like those 4 options (if I do the deal on the internet).
if its in person (local sale) sure., first person gets it.

If its a "make an offer" sale on the interrnet... goes to the first person to make the payment. "buy here pay here"
Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

I have to agree with the SHOW ME THE MONEY issue. if legal tender changes hands then the deal is done.
It has nothing to do with " A MAN OF HIS WORD " not where money is concerned. A seller can sell to whoever he wants . He doesn't have to sell if he doesn't like your name , your voice or any other reason. I sometimes do not deal with people because of red flags going off in my head. { Scammers }. I have not seen any mention of the fact that a buyer offers a deal and doesn't come through. guess what. A buyer does not have to pay even after he makes a deal. does that make him a bad person ?
you better take all emotions and feelings out of any deals where money is involved. Money don't care it has no feelings.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by dalolyn
I have to agree with the SHOW ME THE MONEY issue. if legal tender changes hands then the deal is done.
It has nothing to do with " A MAN OF HIS WORD " not where money is concerned. A seller can sell to whoever he wants . He doesn't have to sell if he doesn't like your name , your voice or any other reason. I sometimes do not deal with people because of red flags going off in my head. { Scammers }. I have not seen any mention of the fact that a buyer offers a deal and doesn't come through. guess what. A buyer does not have to pay even after he makes a deal. does that make him a bad person ?
you better take all emotions and feelings out of any deals where money is involved. Money don't care it has no feelings.
You are dealing with People who do have feelings.

I love it that people describe trying to get as much money out of someone as possible, regardless of morals as "capitalism" instead of Greed.

If you make a deal with someone and then sell to someone else for more money, that's greed.

And yes, a buyer backing out after agreeing to pay is not good or moral behavior either.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 AM
On2_n_On4

Originally Posted by BadSplice
You are dealing with People who do have feelings.

I love it that people describe trying to get as much money out of someone as possible, regardless of morals as "capitalism" instead of Greed.

If you make a deal with someone and then sell to someone else for more money, that's greed.

And yes, a buyer backing out after agreeing to pay is not good or moral behavior either.

In 2014... I TRUST NO ONE, over the internet.
The deal is: If you want it... pay now or forget it.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM
DISCUS54

Originally Posted by dalolyn
Being "A MAN OF WORD" means different things to different people and some valid comments have been made about it. Like you stated...a Seller can sell to whoever they like for whatever price that is "agreed to." In some cases before the sale conclusion is reached, terms change. The term "agreed to" is in itself a conclusion for many but not all. The question and Poll in this thread is simply "What would be your course of action as the Seller". Do you sell to the First Buyer who you met your full asking price and you verbally "agreed to" sell to them? Do you later sell it to the next guy who come along with a higher offer disregarding what you said to the First Buyer? Do you, realizing that perhaps you asked too little (because of the higher offer from the second guy) don't sell it to the second guy with the higher offer but instead request more money from the first guy, or do you just cancel and revise your listing. The Poll states nothing about being a Good or a Bad person, people do things for different reasons. When a buyer doesn't pay for an item...guess what? He doesn't get the item!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Seen "Screwing your buddy" on homepage.

Came in expecting pictures.

Left dissapointed
Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by DISCUS54
Being "A MAN OF WORD" means different things to different people and some valid comments have been made about it. Like you stated...a Seller can sell to whoever they like for whatever price that is "agreed to." In some cases before the sale conclusion is reached, terms change. The term "agreed to" is in itself a conclusion for many but not all. The question and Poll in this thread is simply "What would be your course of action as the Seller". Do you sell to the First Buyer who you met your full asking price and you verbally "agreed to" sell to them? Do you later sell it to the next guy who come along with a higher offer disregarding what you said to the First Buyer? Do you, realizing that perhaps you asked too little (because of the higher offer from the second guy) don't sell it to the second guy with the higher offer but instead request more money from the first guy, or do you just cancel and revise your listing. The Poll states nothing about being a Good or a Bad person, people do things for different reasons. When a buyer doesn't pay for an item...guess what? He doesn't get the item!
My course of action would be to sell to the one I first agreed to. The internet means nothing as a good ole handshake though. You are right, terms can change at anytime up to the point of agreement. point is when money is concerned morals do not apply. They should and do for some. but unfortunately this is not the case.

My latest deal. sold online a traxxas slash, buyer and I agreed on a price. He showed up, drove the truck around. Then pulled cash out and offered less. To me that is the same low morality as the subject of this thread. of course I said we already agreed on a price. I suppose in this case he should of looked at it first then make an offer.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM
DISCUS54

As is the case with many threads, the longer they get they more convoluted they tend to become. This thread has a good Poll sample with hundreds participating. Based on the many comments and poll numbers it is clear that 85% of our membership feel that Sellers should be honest to their original advertisement. It is also obvious that about 12% of the membership feel that they should be able to get as much as possible for their item without regard to previous commitments or statements. It has been pointed out that one characteristic of the internet is it's level of anonymity. A characteristic supported by 12% of Poll participants. That group's numbers would be even less (based on statements) if their dealings with the buyer were made in person. Surely of the 12%ers some of those individuals represent a much higher percentage of transactions for the group...those are the ones that are damaging their fellow RCU members, RCU credibility, and ultimately RCU membership. Should RCU address and improve upon this issue, surely the integrity of the Classifieds will increase. Thank you to all who participated in Poll and made comments. This thread and Poll has run its course and I would ask the Moderators to please close it. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the incidences of what you based the poll on happens far less often that you think,, or seem to infer,,, just because the poll reflects a 12% opinion doesn't even come close to mean that that scenario happens more than a fraction of 1% of the time.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:06 PM
DISCUS54

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I think the incidences of what you based the poll on happens far less often that you think,, or seem to infer,,, just because the poll reflects a 12% opinion doesn't even come close to mean that that scenario happens more than a fraction of 1% of the time.
so4m, as much as I wish it were true there is nothing to support it...and I am an eternal optimist! It is far more plausible that the opposite is true...of the 85% that said they would keep their word...maybe more of them would act differently in private...money being the motive. Of this fraction of 1% that you postulate...what is the motivation for the other 11 percent to suddenly do the right thing when they state in public that they wouldn't...a vision of Mother Mary perhaps? I think not.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:20 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

What you might do, and what actually happens to you are many times completely different in my experience. Like I would rush into a burning building to save a puppy,, hasn't happened yet though.