Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby Lobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby is opening a new store in our little town in early summer. I did a quick google search on them and could not find where they handled any RC stuff. Does anyone know if this is actually the case or did I miss it?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it Hobby Lobby the craft store?? Hobby Lobby the hobby store has changed their name to Hobby Express.

Ken
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobby Lobby the hobby shop is now Hobby Express

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/

Hobby Lobby the craft store is most likely what's coming to your town, still a good source for many things hobby related, you just won't find anything R/C in there. Visit their website before you go, they always have a 40% ~ 50% off coupon.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM
JollyPopper

I was not aware that Hobby Lobby was now Hobby Express. The commercials they are running on local radio are calling the business moving in here Hobby Lobby. And, like I say, I googled them and see no RC related items in their website. I will google Hobby Express and see what happens.

If they handled RC stuff, I was going to apply for a job because I really enjoy being around RC stuff and talking to people who are in the hobby. Further than that, I might have been able to offer some good advice to people wanting to get in the hobby since I have been in it since 1972. But I have absolutely no desire to work in a store selling ribbons and clock faces. Not that there is anything wrong with those kinds of crafts, but I have no interest in them and am too old to change interests at this point.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:07 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah... HobbyLobby is a craft/home-decor-foo-foo store. They put one here in the valley down in Visalia. Nothing more then a glorified(if that) Michaels.... and I've known that from going in HobbyLobby back in Missouri and Illinois some years ago.....

What I didn't know is the HobbyLobby that we all know and trust was renamed... thanks for that info.

So Jolly, if you want some decor for the home... they really aren't bad.. alot of selection.. but as for RC we're out of luck. Have a nice weekend.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
JollyPopper

Thanks a lot, friend

I did check out Hobby Express. It says in big letters that it was fromerly Hobby Lobby, and they do handle RC stuff. Unfortunately, that is not what is coming to town.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took my wife to a local hobby lobby store, they had a sign for sale " Made In The USA home of the free" turned it over and said made in china.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 AM
topspin

They just opened a new Hobby Lobby not far from us so I was all excited untill we went there. It's just a big craft store and almost nothing that I would want except for paints and sheet balsa but I can get those at the LHS. Oh well....
Old 04-19-2014, 11:25 AM
abelard

The craft-store chain is involved in a Supreme Court battle over a highly polarized political issue...I wouldn't blame the RC model outfit for wanting to stay out of the line of fire.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
RightWing

A Telemaster will not be found there.

Last edited by RightWing; 04-28-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abelard
The craft-store chain is involved in a Supreme Court battle over a highly polarized political issue...I wouldn't blame the RC model outfit for wanting to stay out of the line of fire.
Bingo!

Hot potato there...
Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I found it really odd that there would be two completely unrelated companies , both catering to hobby needs , sharing the same name . Yes , one is arts & crafts while the other was RC , but still it would seem that once one company registers it's name that another company can't come along using that same name ? While I don't have any opinion about the Hobby Lobby name one way or another I do think the name "Hobby Express" sounds a bit cheesy ; "Hobby Express !!!! Your order to your door in 30 min or it's free !!!!" .... Um , yea , I know that didn't work out too well for Domino's now did it ? ... Using the buzzword "Express" just sounds a bit TOO far reaching for this ol RCer ......
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM
abelard

Originally Posted by init4fun
I found it really odd that there would be two completely unrelated companies , both catering to hobby needs , sharing the same name . .
Seven-Eleven, Piggly Wiggly, Ditch Witch...assonance makes brand names easy to remember.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 AM
koastrc

HOBBY LOBBY, now Hobby Express has a long history in the model aviation business. They came along about the time of some other mail order companies that went to 800 numbers and the use of credit cards. They were one of the first I know of that was into electrics. They also sold a large amount of European hobby stuff. Look at this way. They were in the mail order business as Hobby Lobby about the same time Hobby People were called Hobby Shack. Perhaps they were in the mail order business before Tower. Anyway it is history, and we all see history different.