Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Creative but Dumb

Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 AM
usc1990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative but Dumb

Saw this today in the Columbia, SC newspaper....

CHARLESTON S.C. (Reuters) - A drone being flown in a novel attempt to smuggle phones, marijuana and tobacco into a South Carolina maximum security prison crashed outside its walls, authorities said on Wednesday.
The contraband smuggling attempt has been under investigation since the wreckage was discovered in April outside the Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, said state Department of Corrections spokeswoman Stephanie Givens.
Officials believe it was the first time an unmanned aircraft had been used in an effort to breach prison walls in the state, Givens said. Most cellphones are thrown over walls.
"The technology is getting better, and we have to figure out different ways to fight back," she said.
Illegal cellphones, an issue in prisons nationwide, have drawn particular alarm in South Carolina. In 2010, a cell phone smuggled into the same prison was used to order a hit on a prison officer, who was shot six times at his home but survived.
Authorities have arrested one man in the drone incident and are seeking another suspect. Brenton Lee Doyle, 28, appeared in court on Wednesday for a hearing. He faces charges of attempting to introduce contraband into a prison and possession of the drug flunitrazopam, a muscle relaxant known as "roofies."
His case was continued until September.
Doyle has said he has never seen a drone and that police said nothing about a drone at the time of his arrest, his attorney Wayne Floyd said.
Authorities said the search for the second suspect continues.
(This version of the story corrects the dateline to South Carolina, from Florida.)
(Editing by Letitia Stein, Eric Walsh and Bill Trott)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really hating the word drone these days.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 PM
abelard

What do you have against bees?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by raptureboy
I'm really hating the word drone these days.
I was the same at first and used to correct spectators when they called my multicopters "drones"

But I have heard that word so much recently it is growing on me.

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-03-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, what are we calling them nowadays?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by tailskid
I used to call them, "Quads" "Multirotors" "Quad Copter" "Multicopter" and each of those words just created a look of confusion with curious spectators.

Now I say, "its a Drone", and they nod in understanding....

I was in an elevator recently with a 550 Quad going down to my car and an elderly lady enterered the lift, took one look and said "That's a very nice drone"

Media has labelled these to the public now and I think it will be impossible to change.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Rob2160

Deleted, double post.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:44 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

UAVs...unmanned aerial vehicles.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup... imagine a big banner at a Bar: 'Bikers welcome!'
someone on a motorcycle walks in and says 'we're RIDERS, Bike is short for Bicycle, these are Motorcycles....'
I don't think THAT term is going away soon... neither is the term Drone. (sigh.)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I have no problem with the term "Drone" for things with cameras or other payloads/agendas . Once the RC model is being flown for any specific purpose other than for the sheer fun of it , it becomes a tool being used to accomplish the stated goal , and thus a drone . It just so happens that since a stable hovering platform is the best for taking quality photographs , it would be the Quad/multirotor that the public most associates with the word Drone . So far , not one person has mistaken what I fly for a drone and my planes have been met with a universally positive reaction by all who've seen them . It's folk's built in fear of being spied on that gives the word Drone such a bad public name and so being "just an old guy with some cool toy planes" keeps folk's "Drone O Phobia" from wanting me to be chased from the parks I fly in . I'm good with that .....
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, according to one ad I saw....if you don't have a pilot in your plane, you are flying a drone
Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM
W7APD Alan

Originally Posted by tailskid
If you git far enuff outta town, they's called "skeet."