Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Cost of toys VS status as an RCer .......

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cost of toys VS status as an RCer .......

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM
init4fun

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cost of toys VS status as an RCer .......

It seems a sad fact of life that people need to feel superior to others in all aspects of their lives , and hobbies seem to be no exception . I know the world is awash in "Chevy VS Ford" type rivalries and seems to thrive on them , but taken to the low of judgement of one's worth VS economic status makes such rivalries toxic in my opinion . I see in the HK threads where talk of "JUNK !!!" is hurled at the HK friendly and the way it's presented sure makes it seem like ;

"Because you buy cheap toys , you , yourself ARE less of a person and not as worthy an RCer than I"

I dont care which side of the HK debate someone is on , whether pro or anti , we really should be above classing people like this is some kind of snobby Jr high school where ya shunned for not showing up in $400 sneakers ! Yes , of course , I believe HK's customer service could be better , anything better than dead would be a great start but I refuse to look down on ANY fellow hobbyist whose trying to save a dollar or two in today's economy . Remember , we are a very small group of people in this hobby and there really is no reason to go being mean to someone on line over which toystore ya favor . Sure , cheap stuff IS cheap , but the people buying it get just as much of a kick watching it fly* as does a guy who flies a thousand dollar plane , this I can personally vouch for

(* after usually correcting a problem or two , Hell I've had to correct something on just about anybody's planes I've bought , both cheap AND expensive ones !)
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Yeah? Well just so you know my foam planes are better than your foam planes. I use only the most outrageously expensive Fire Power and Emax motors from HURC, and those lofty Gens Ace batteries from Hobbypartz.

I hate to be a snob but lets face it I'm paying a couple of dollars more for my stuff than the Hobby King guys, that just screams affluence..

I hear you and I have seen the same thing at my field where there are a few guys with three to five thousand dollar planes but sometimes one of my cheap and ugly little foamies gets a "WOW" from the onlookers. May be inexpensive but it's still fun.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
It seems a sad fact of life that people need to feel superior to others in all aspects of their lives , and hobbies seem to be no exception . I know the world is awash in "Chevy VS Ford" type rivalries and seems to thrive on them , but taken to the low of judgement of one's worth VS economic status makes such rivalries toxic in my opinion . I see in the HK threads where talk of "JUNK !!!" is hurled at the HK friendly and the way it's presented sure makes it seem like ;

"Because you buy cheap toys , you , yourself ARE less of a person and not as worthy an RCer than I"

I dont care which side of the HK debate someone is on , whether pro or anti , we really should be above classing people like this is some kind of snobby Jr high school where ya shunned for not showing up in $400 sneakers ! Yes , of course , I believe HK's customer service could be better , anything better than dead would be a great start but I refuse to look down on ANY fellow hobbyist whose trying to save a dollar or two in today's economy . Remember , we are a very small group of people in this hobby and there really is no reason to go being mean to someone on line over which toystore ya favor . Sure , cheap stuff IS cheap , but the people buying it get just as much of a kick watching it fly* as does a guy who flies a thousand dollar plane , this I can personally vouch for

(* after usually correcting a problem or two , Hell I've had to correct something on just about anybody's planes I've bought , both cheap AND expensive ones !)
+10. The hobby should be about fun, no matter what the item is that the person is using, from the Harbor Freight Yellow Bee plane, up to a quarter scale giant worth north of $5,000. An equal amount of fun can be had by both fliers, it should be about the experience, not the hardware. You bring up a valid point about the cost factor, I think it can also be about the experience and comfort level too. One of the members of a club I fly with a lawyer and a doctor (overachiever really), and for 5 years I've only see him fly a foamy glider, same one, every time. Drives a 100k car, but flies a $150.00 glider and is happy as can be. He's flown everything but turbine, but this is what he wants to fly. Other guys show up at the field with a new plane or two every month, and are just as happy too. I love seeing noobs show up at the field with the latest trainer, ready to learn, and usually having paid less than $200 rtf too. What's not to like?

Human nature being what it is, there will probably always be disagreements. One would hope the good times and fun involved in this great hobby would win out over that.

And I loves me some Gens Ace batteries, if they could only be in stock.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You learn your way around HK after a while and learn what to pick and what to stay away from. Of course that goes for other retailers too. The HXT 500 and 900 servos are hard to beat, leaving the cost out of it. I bought a Sea Vixen DF 2 yrs ago and hasn't had a screwdriver put to it yet.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 AM
rcmiket

If your hanging around people who judge you by what your toys cost maybe you need a new set of "friends".

Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
If your hanging around people who judge you by what your toys cost maybe you need a new set of "friends".

Mike
Hi guys , Thank You for all the great answers . You know , although I most noticed this kind of snobbishness in the HK threads , it really does go beyond just the HK debate and is seen wherever the "Balsa VS Foam" arguments are fought . I've seen it time and again , on the forums , of folk's need to feel superior by putting down the fact that someone could actually have fun with a foam plane . It's mean and It's wrong . Now here's the funny thing , and the reason I quoted Mike's post ;

I ONLY SEE THIS BEHAVIOR ON THE FORUMS !!!!!

Yep , at the field I fly at , guys who do fly thousand dollar planes WILL help guys with brand new foamie trainers , have fun helping them out , and do it without making the new guy feel like an idiot by acting all superior . Us people from Boston are rumored to be complete snobs by the rest of the country , and yet at the field this couldn't be further from the truth . Heck , I've seen a whole field full of guys give the newbie the free use of empty sky more times than I can count and they all hang around talkin plane stuff while the new guy gets his first few flights in , so he and his instructor don't have the nerve factor of a sky full of planes . This kind of friendliness seems to only be found face to face , as these forums so readily prove .

I just hope folks will think about this before the next time they go ripping on some other poster as a "junk flyer" for trying to have some RC fun in today's "wonderful" economy ....
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM
j41captn
My Feedback: (5)

Mike, you are absolutely right. The guys here in Albuquerque are the greatest because we enjoy the hobby without judging what we fly. We are the friends we hang around with.

Dave
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi guys , Thank You for all the great answers . You know , although I most noticed this kind of snobbishness in the HK threads , it really does go beyond just the HK debate and is seen wherever the "Balsa VS Foam" arguments are fought . I've seen it time and again , on the forums , of folk's need to feel superior by putting down the fact that someone could actually have fun with a foam plane . It's mean and It's wrong . Now here's the funny thing , and the reason I quoted Mike's post ;

I ONLY SEE THIS BEHAVIOR ON THE FORUMS !!!!!

Yep , at the field I fly at , guys who do fly thousand dollar planes WILL help guys with brand new foamie trainers , have fun helping them out , and do it without making the new guy feel like an idiot by acting all superior . Us people from Boston are rumored to be complete snobs by the rest of the country , and yet at the field this couldn't be further from the truth . Heck , I've seen a whole field full of guys give the newbie the free use of empty sky more times than I can count and they all hang around talkin plane stuff while the new guy gets his first few flights in , so he and his instructor don't have the nerve factor of a sky full of planes . This kind of friendliness seems to only be found face to face , as these forums so readily prove .

I just hope folks will think about this before the next time they go ripping on some other poster as a "junk flyer" for trying to have some RC fun in today's "wonderful" economy ....
Nice idea for a thread Init,

It really is better for everyone and the hobby itself when we help others instead of insulting them.

By all means post your own opinions. They are helpful and make good reading. But respect that others can and do have different experiences and may have no choice but to enjoy this hobby on a different budget.

Carrying on with a "Football Fan" or "My planes are better because they cost more" mentality is not how mature adults should behave.

The general public already think that grown men who play with toy aeroplanes are immature.

Name calling, taunting and mimicking others in a mocking way here only proves them right.

How does that help any of us?

RCU should be an "insult free zone" where people can come to relax, share and enjoy a few good stories and maybe learn something too.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-31-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: more on topic.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 AM
roadhawgy

hey dont forget the assembled V built fellas
Old 11-02-2014, 11:44 AM
topspin

We have a guy in our club who is a scratch builder of flat flyers. That is, everything he builds is flat and is made from wood, foam, and even discarded plastic. The cost of these flying contraptions is very low but the fun factor is huge because they are so ingenious. Some of them are incredibly fast and most are a handful to control which says a lot about his flying skills. Even the $5K plus guys are impressed because he is a true builder of flying machines.

I would say that out of 50 or so members there are two snobs who show up and act like they own the field. They never say anything but their demeanor gives them away. That's OK, the rest of us have fun in spite of them.

The 3D heli guys aren't snobs at all but they know everyone is afraid of them and they also know that when they take to the field everyone will run for cover, most of us anyway.

Everyone in the club is extremely nice and will help anyone any time. I usually bring a good supply of tools in my truck and they are there for anyone who needs them, sharing is part of what makes the hobby fun. I have given people parts like servos and props just so they could continue flying. It's a great way to make friends and a great way to spend an afternoon. As for Hobby King, who cares? As long as they fly it's so what, flying is flying even if it's a flat piece of plastic that goes 90MPH.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:58 PM
binns aero

OMG! Now we are talkin! 1950's ironing table I found under my 1939 Log cabin I live in, refinished it, Found the wing for my mambo in the trash,silkspan and dope finish job. Lets start that thread!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aircraft house 327.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2044361  
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by binns aero View Post
OMG! Now we are talkin! 1950's ironing table I found under my 1939 Log cabin I live in, refinished it, Found the wing for my mambo in the trash,silkspan and dope finish job. Lets start that thread!
That is *****en! I didn't even know you could still buy dope, I haven't seen silkspan covering in a very long time. That is a keeper.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 PM
binns aero

Dope is great stuff! if you don't mind the fumes.( I'm sorry that just didn't sound right ) I ment to say butyrate. When you run out silkspan just head for white tissue paper after you open your Christmass presents. The flight box I snagged from my brother-in-law in Culpepper,VA.Don't really now the story on how he got it, but it has a 4 didget AMA number on it. 2282, and the wall paper insdide the draws is to die for.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
init4fun

In my humble opinion , the plastic shrink wrap that all but replaced Dope & Fabric doesn't have the same "soul" . Sure , the plastic is lighter , easier to apply and comes with no fumes in it's application as it's benefits , but it's got a tinny sound when the engine is revved and the vibrations make the wings shake , whereas the dope & fabric has no inherrent "drum tight" tinny sound .

I am in a fairly rotten position in that regard , as I live close by a couple of hobby shops where I could buy Pactra AeroGloss Dope , but my health won't allow me to be in the same room with the stuff as it's being applied and dried . Same goes for CA glue , In fact , as age and health creep up on me , my days of building model airplanes are over , and this is why I embrace the ARF in all of it's many forms . Sure , when I was young and healthy I lived for building not only model airplanes but also real world cars and motorcycles and have a nice scrapbook of all the previous Iron in my younger life .

It is for this reason that I hate to see the "classism" that is on display in many of the Balsa VS foam "debates", as well lately as the HK VS other online retailer threads . I tend to gravitate tword wood ARFs , have had a few nice foam ones , and wouldn't even consider judging another flyer on what he chose to have fun with . Especially with the average age of most of my flying buddys being well over retirement age there ARE apt to be health reasons that keep some from building . And yet no one at the field ever talks badly about what anyone else chooses to fly . And this was driven home to me by reading that trainwreck of an HK thread that has now got over 20K views where no one has anything nice to say to anybody . Folks wouldn't dare speak to each other like that in person , so why do they think it's OK on line ? And the 20K views aspect ? Are these all the folks who stood around yelling "FIGHT !" at the schoolyard brawls of our youth ? Stuff like that is a black mark on RCU and does nothing to promote any image of friendliness with regards to our hobby , that's for sure ...