Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if any one is interested hear is a side picture of my current build, hopping to get it presentable for my club build contest in june.
Well can't seem to be able to post a picture

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-08-2017, 12:59 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Hey Bob T try using advance and scrolling down.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still don't have a clue is there an icon or what do you click on ?

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Scroll down manage attachments. click on it and it gives space to add attachments.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Click on "Go Advanced," then click on "Manage Attachments," then "Upload Files From Your Computer." Click on "Browse."
Old 05-10-2017, 07:02 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The new manage attachments is a PITA. Think I will go back to posting on FB and just link them instead.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just doing a test of the new system showing a couple pictures of my scratch built 69" w/span sports profile with a Mintor 22cc up front turning a Falcon 17x6 prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	2214251   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2214252  

Last edited by karolh; 05-10-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice color scheme!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have recently acquired a Hawker Hurricane kit from Warbirds Replicas. There is wartime film footage of Hurricanes from the famous 56 Squadron taking off to engage the Luftwaffe. Their squadron code was "US," and one of the aircraft was marked US-A. I thought that my American contacts on RC Universe might appreciate it if I finished my model with with that code! However, I found out that US-A was not a lucky code and that six Hurricanes were given that code during the Battle of Britain. I hope it's not an omen!

This is the contact for Warbirds Replicas. Despite what it says on the website, there is still one more Hurricane kit available. warbird_replicas_hawker_hurricane
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking kit! Price of their kits are comparable to the Gold Edition from Top Flite. It goes without saying the shipping would be a bit higher. I see there is a build of the Spitfire MK IXc on another forum as well.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...fire-LF-Mk-IXc
Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I think I have done it now, I could not resist the temptation, at the contest This weekend I saw a Taranis radio set and saw all that it could do and flipped, all for $200. So I was about to order one and saw the new HORUS radio ..................................

Yeah that's right, I should have one in a few days I can't even believe what this radio is capable of it is a open architecture and has no restrictions, GPS, telemetry, and programing that is awesome.

I looked for a picture but couldn't find one that I was able to post.................................I am all twitterpated.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
acdii

Congrats. I have more radios than I can use. an 8 channel DX8, which is for training, a JR 12X 12 channel, which has nice features, like speed controlled flaps that can bind to the throttle, channel mixing of flaps and ailerons for Spoilerons, or flaperons. It has other features which I have yet to discover, and 2 14 channel Futaba, the 8FGs and 14SG (I think those are the models). I also have them setup for training. I got the 14 for its ability to span all three Futaba RX, FHSS, FASST, and FASSTtest, along with Telemetry. For the most part all my planes are on Futaba, the DX8 soured be from Spektrum/JR due to too many hits. I have not had any issues with the JR, and still have a few planes on it, but the ones I fly the most are on Futaba.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM
karolh

The guys here love their FrSky Taranis radios and yes on occasion I have been tempted to switch brands ( as I am a Futaba person ) when I see all that it can do but in truth I love my trusty Fut 8UAF which currently fills all my needs and then some so for now I plan on sticking with it. It just feels so comfortable in my hands and yes I know it's been discontinued for some time now but it still works great, has never given me a problem and every so often I ship it off to Tony at Radio South for a clean bill of health. It's was upgraded from 72 Mhz to 2.4GHz with a FrSky module several years ago.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:47 PM
donnyman

Yes I must confess I really don't need the radio but it will do all the work of all my radios by it self, It has a 30+ model memory on 16 channels upgradeable to 32 and will tell you if it has a weak signal from the Trans. to Rec. with voice command. one of the guys at the meet said his radio told him he lost some signal when he passed over the powerlines. I plan to dispose of all my other radios excepting my Futaba 9c which will be reconfigured to 2.4 mhz.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

Who's 2.4 system is the HORUS radio using? Which color did you order?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:09 PM
karolh

Graves Hobbies seems to be currently offering the best prices on the FrSky Taranis and Horus radio systems.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a horus so there !!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

There's a bit of a back story concerning my Warbirds Replica Hurricane, sorry if I've already mentioned it. I'd always wanted to fly a model Hurricane because of its role in the Battle of Britain, I also like its rounded almost feminine lines. However, there are very few Hurricane kits available even if one wanted to include ARTFs. Spitfires and Mustangs are readily available as are American WW2 naval fighters. Bf109s and FW 190s sell steadily in smaller numbers but the Hurricane is less popular. I can understand why. It was not capable of further development during the war and was replaced by faster aircraft like the Typhoon, the later marks of the Spitfire, the Mustang and the Tempest. In modelling form it is not a popular choice.

But I had options; Mick Reeves and DB Sport and Scale produce rather large and quite expensive kits. Black Horse produce a large and expensive ARTF which requires a 50cc engine. Dynam make a little 50" electric foamie model but I wanted something in between. Warbirds Replicas offered a 61" kit but when I went on-line to order one, I was informed that they were out of stock. I contacted the proprietor to ask when the next batch would be produced. "Never," was the response, "the last lot sat on the shelves for fully a year before I sold them all." So I asked how many confirmed orders he would need to produce another batch. He said ten.

On 11th January 2017 I went onto a popular British aeromodelling website and explained the situation. I said that I was prepared to buy a kit and needed nine other modellers to commit to buying one. Six days later we achieved the target and by 28th January the "squadron" was at full strength as another two modellers opted to buy a Hurricane kit. The proprietor produced fifteen kits to allow for a few extra orders. As I type this there's only one remaining.

Just goes to show what can be done with a bit of effort.

This will be my first warbird and my first model with a retractable undercarriage.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
Graves Hobbies seems to be currently offering the best prices on the FrSky Taranis and Horus radio systems.
A visit to Graves should be second only to Joe Nall on most modelers bucket lists
Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by the pope
I have a horus so there !!
Popey, we are talking about a radio not an Egyptian deity!

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
There's a bit of a back story concerning my Warbirds Replica Hurricane, sorry if I've already mentioned it. I'd always wanted to fly a model Hurricane because of its role in the Battle of Britain, I also like its rounded almost feminine lines. However, there are very few Hurricane kits available even if one wanted to include ARTFs. Spitfires and Mustangs are readily available as are American WW2 naval fighters. Bf109s and FW 190s sell steadily in smaller numbers but the Hurricane is less popular. I can understand why. It was not capable of further development during the war and was replaced by faster aircraft like the Typhoon, the later marks of the Spitfire, the Mustang and the Tempest. In modelling form it is not a popular choice.

But I had options; Mick Reeves and DB Sport and Scale produce rather large and quite expensive kits. Black Horse produce a large and expensive ARTF which requires a 50cc engine. Dynam make a little 50" electric foamie model but I wanted something in between. Warbirds Replicas offered a 61" kit but when I went on-line to order one, I was informed that they were out of stock. I contacted the proprietor to ask when the next batch would be produced. "Never," was the response, "the last lot sat on the shelves for fully a year before I sold them all." So I asked how many confirmed orders he would need to produce another batch. He said ten.

On 11th January 2017 I went onto a popular British aeromodelling website and explained the situation. I said that I was prepared to buy a kit and needed nine other modellers to commit to buying one. Six days later we achieved the target and by 28th January the "squadron" was at full strength as another two modellers opted to buy a Hurricane kit. The proprietor produced fifteen kits to allow for a few extra orders. As I type this there's only one remaining.

Just goes to show what can be done with a bit of effort.

This will be my first warbird and my first model with a retractable undercarriage.

Wish me luck!

Great story!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:21 AM
acdii

I use FrSky RX with my Futaba radios. Can't beat the price, and they have been 100% reliable. I think out of a half dozen that I have, only one gave me fits trying to bind it, but I think it was the radio and not the RX that one time. It bound up to my other radio just fine. I picked up a FrSky 8 channel from HK a couple weeks ago, haven't tested it yet. May or may not use it in the Rascal, haven't decided if I want to use Futaba or JR for that one. I have a triple sat RX for the JR that I might use due to its size.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 AM
donnyman

I think I have a picture.... The top pic is the latest. It seems these radios are in constant upgrade mode. You tube has a host of info!

Hey POPE what is your opinion of this radio? and how long have you had it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1471248674.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	2214457  
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice radio!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by karolh
Just doing a test of the new system showing a couple pictures of my scratch built 69" w/span sports profile with a Mintor 22cc up front turning a Falcon 17x6 prop.
Been looking over your bird, (very smart) It reminds me of my controline days. I have no knowlegde of the mintor engines how long have they been around? I think the plane would be just the ticket for new comers to the hobby.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 AM
donnyman

820,000 x 5= 4,100,000.0 Or registered drones x $5= $ 4,100,000 That's a lot of drones. you can only imagine how many are not registered.

I say this to bring to mind the change in the hobby. It isn't dying it's changing direction. how many business's use drones? the acreage next to me was surveyed with a drone, and several delivery companies are using them.

We ain't in Kansas no more toto!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.