Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 06-17-2018, 12:49 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

My compatibility chart says butyrate over enamel is ok but not the other way around.

If in doubt test in an obscure area.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Enamel is a completely different type of chemical than butyrate they are not comparable at all. If you have to use butyrate then you need to completely cover the enamel with 2 part epoxy, not epoxy in a spray can. Butyrate will desolve all other paint but epoxy, kind of like stripper. You can put enamel over butyrate.

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 06-17-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I am only a few hours away, what do you imply?

Moving there is out of the question, too many storms pass thru there, I will probably move further west.
They speak French in some parts of Louisiana!
Old 06-17-2018, 03:25 PM
rich737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank both of the reply's I got and I think the best way would be to test the compatibility, because the planes are both nitro birds and if I have to strip them down or coat them with epoxy. But if I decide to strip them down what kind of primer would be the best to use. Butyrate dope is lacquer base I think, this hole posses is new to me I guess I should have thought before I primed the plane. Thanks Alot
Old 06-17-2018, 04:30 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Ditch the dope and get latex for the color coat and 2K clear coat for the top coat. More than likely the dope will wrinkle the primer as it has acetone and MEK which both dissolve paint. If you don't have a spray gun, then find spray cans of clear that are 2 part, and you have to hit a button and shake the crap out of the can to mix it. Its the same used for cars which are highly resistant to Methanol and Nitromethane.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Skip the dope if you can if anything to just stay away from the fumes. Nasty stuff to inhale!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM
donnyman

The chemistry of so many things has changed so much one cannot take for granted the compatibility of anything anymore, even Monokote is different. I had wrinkles occur using the same spay can of paint for a second coat, only to find a brush coat of the same paint worked fine, go figure! I now do a test on all my solvent based paints. many have been banned and removed from the market. The auto paint store doesn't smell like paint, and it all has to be special ordered and cost a small fortune.

My paint compatibility chart is passe! but it does show four or five different kinds of enamel paint and one that is not compatible ....... best to test.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

It seems the paint industry is working hard to replace VOCs. I'm not surprised paint formulas are changing. I was surprised to see MEK still on the shelf at Lowe,\'s the other day.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-18-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:05 AM
acdii

You can still get MEK, but not MEK substitute. The substitute was intended to remove some of the harm MEK has. MEK is nasty stuff, but works great.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:15 AM
rexperk
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would call Sig Manufacturing, They have been selling and using Butyrate and nitrate dopes for fifty years covering airplanes. I would ask them.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM
FlyerInOKC

Default Be carful of what you ask a senior...

nt this to me.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 AM
donnyman

Smile

It is to laugh!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's a classic like this one!

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. Well for example, the other day Jane and I went into town and went into a shop. We were only in there for about 5 minutes. When we came out, there was a cop writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and said, "Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?" He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a Nazi turd. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires.
So Jane called him a ****head. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first Then he started writing a third ticket. This went on for about 20 minutes The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote. Personally, we didn't care. we came into town by bus. We try to have a little fun each day now that we are retired. It's important at our age.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's a classic like this one!

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. Well for example, the other day Jane and I went into town and went into a shop. We were only in there for about 5 minutes. When we came out, there was a cop writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and said, "Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?" He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a Nazi turd. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires.
So Jane called him a ****head. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first Then he started writing a third ticket. This went on for about 20 minutes The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote. Personally, we didn't care. we came into town by bus. We try to have a little fun each day now that we are retired. It's important at our age.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

It does sound like fun unless it's your car!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:30 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
They speak French in some parts of Louisiana!
And a popular dog name is Fido, but it's spelled Phideaux.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:08 PM
acdii

My dogs names are Hey Dummy. Yes, they do respond to that name, as well as move it dummy, where's dummy, and what are you doing dummy.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I remember there was a comic where the family dog was named "Dawg". My Boxer/Beagle answers to "Wiggle Butt" She was born with a stump of a tail and the whole back wiggles when she tries to wag it.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Funnily enough last Friday I drove to the west of Paris to pick up a young Beagle ***** for a clubmate from the model aeroplane club. The ***** was called Sibyll which is pronounced "See Bell" in French, which means "So Beautiful" in French, (Si Belle,) and she was so beautiful! If she hadn't settled down in my clubmate's house with his other two Beagles, I would have had to buy her myself!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ah come on you mods, I'm referring to a cute little female dog!

Political correctness gone mad!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 AM
acdii

its a beetch aint it
Old 06-25-2018, 05:23 AM
donnyman

It sure is quiet around here!

I have been grumping about my feet hurting, I went to my daughters commence for her masters degree and I am very proud for her, now if only she can get a job.

I had to return to my car at the event and the walk almost killed me, the heat didn't help either (100 degrees F) so I have been resting my foot a lot and the honeydo's are piling up. Today I reached the ripe old age of 77 and looking forward to 80. If I can get up the stairs I might put in some build time on the old "stang".
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Many Happy Returns Of The Day Donny!

The weather has been pleasantly warm here 23C or 73F but with a strong wind which makes flying less than pleasant. I've been busy repairing the gutters and painting the outside of the house. So far I've got the soffits, facia boards and window frames on the front of the house, washed and rinsed, rubbed down, patch primed, patch undercoated and then undercoated. I found a little hand-held battery powered triangular which I'd previously used only on the models, very useful for the last stage of sanding off. The gloss paint goes on tomorrow and perhaps the coloured masonry paint on the walls as well. The facade of the house is only a single story high so with a 12" roller it shouldn't take long to do, but then there's the other three walls to tackle as well.

A new bloke has joined our club within the last few months and has divided the membership. Some like him, others don't. We will call him J. J is a good looking man in his early sixties who has apparently earned a living as a rock guitarist. He is not short of the proverbial price of a pint. He has several expensive models including jets but he sells them on as quickly as they're built. He owns a small farm and is an excellent pilot and modeller. The trouble is, he's completely insensitive to any body else. He completely dominates every conversation in the club house, buts in and never listens. He's not all bad, he gave a Top Flite P47 kit (without a plan) to one of our younger members and he gave me a damaged sports low winger despite my assertions that I had n't the time to repair it. I passed it onto another clubmate. I don't think he was very pleased.

He has become friendly with the club's treasurer. Last Wednesday evening apparently, he and the club treasurer turned up with their wives and proceded to use the club's barbeque facilities for a private party. I don't suppose there's anything wrong with that but with those members who were there were quite surprised. It didn't go down too well all. The older we get, the more set we become in our ways and the entire membership has always been informed well in advance of any parties or barbeques. It certainly ruffled a few feathers.

I've got a couple of afternoons of instructing to do on Wednesday and Thursday. The wind is forecast to abate so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:01 AM
acdii

Well Dennis DeYoung said it best, when Movie stars and rock stars talk, turn them off. Movie stars? Who would believe them when their job is pretending to be someone else, and Rock stars, who is more full of S*** than they are.

DDY is the lead(was) singer for Styx which makes the above comment funny, he also acted in Jesus Christ Superstar.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you acdii. Unfortunately we cannot turn off J at the flying field!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.