Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:25 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Thank you acdii. Unfortunately we cannot turn off J at the flying field!
This situation appears from time to time and I tend to either befriend or ignore the offender. this person is desiring attention and will probably do most anything to get it.
he can't help himself and will be offended (most likely) if mention is made of his behavior. Things will come to a head and he will fade with time,...good luck!
Old 06-26-2018, 05:29 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
SIG Flyin this weekend. Heading out tonight.
So how'd it go?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:10 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
So how'd it go?
I had a smashing time. Lost my Something Xtra, which I have a brand new in box that I am almost done assembling, just the battery pack and done, but smashed my Rascal 168 when the NiMh pack for the ignition quit. Had a lot of work to do to put it back together as 53 pounds hitting the ground tends to break many things, but thankfully just wood was damaged.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bad day....sorry for your loses.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:17 AM
donnyman

I had a smashing time. Lost my Something Xtra, which I have a brand new in box that I am almost done assembling, just the battery pack and done, but smashed my Rascal 168 when the NiMh pack for the ignition quit. Had a lot of work to do to put it back together as 53 pounds hitting the ground tends to break many things, but thankfully just wood was damaged.
53 lb rascal? how about a picture or two? tell and show us about the event, don't keep it locked up in your head.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I was standing on my ladder yesterday morning, preparing the paintwork on the side of my house when suddenly I felt a severe stabbing pain in my right knee. Neither knee has been up to much for some years, but it was extremely painful and there I was 3 or 4 metres (15-20 feet) up in the air standing with only one foot on the rung and wondering how I was to get down! Eventually the pain subsided and I got down but wasn't much good for anything else for the rest of the day.

So this morning I went to the doctor. She diagnosed a disease which has plagued the wealthy of Europe throughout the ages, gout! Yes me and Henry VIII! She's given me some pills and put me on the water wagon for the next three days. Three days without an alcoholic drink, that's going to test the willpower! Tomatoes are also "interdit."

Which is a pity as I have two nice lamb chops in the fridge and an already-opened Cotes Du Rhone to wash it down with. A cup of tea just won't be the same! Good job it wasn't an expensive wine!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 AM
donnyman

Terlemaster
For a while you and I will just have to hobble along, you will probably do better than I in the long run, if your problem can be solved in a few days. meanwhile you have a good reason to work on some models.
my foot is ever so slowly improving but I fear it will take much more than a few days. Get well soon!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:57 AM
acdii

My workshop flooded again last night. sump pump failed, again. I have tried several different brands and non seem to last long. I have about 7 dead ones now. The one that failed has a lifetime warranty, I found the box floating across the floor for it. So my weekend will be spent cleaning up, again. This time I had nearly 3" of water, enough to overflow the 2x4 threshold that I have to keep water OUT of the workshop as the hallway for the stairs tends to get some water backup due to the floor sinking a bit there. There was so much coming in that it flowed into the next room where the pit for the kitchen is, and promptly filled that, which then got pumped into the septic, so now there are hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of clean water in the septic tank, which means all the bacteria and other junk is now in the field. Going to be a mess out there for the next few weeks. thankfully none of the planes got wet, but my B-25 plans did as the tube was standing against the workbench.

I had just about got all the floor dried off too.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 AM
donnyman

acdii
A friend of mine had the same problem so he had his basement sealed with some paint on sealant and it seemed to do the job quite well, though it is best to do it from the outside which can be very expensive with all the digging and dry time involved. It maybe time for more shelving.........Good luck!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:51 AM
acdii

All the sealing in the world would not have stopped this. When the pump quit the sump filled up and of course water seeks it's own level, which at this time is several inches above the slab. I have sealed up a lot of where water used to come in, some places like you said need to be from outside, so those still leak a little, but last night, that damned pump made a mess.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Funnily enough my own underground garage flooded to a depth of about 2cms, (3/4 inch) a few weeks ago in a thunderstorm. Some seeped into the model aeroplane workshop but not in sufficient quantity to cause a problem. I have a drain just outside the door and it is covered by pieces of iron with holes drilled into them. These holes became blocked and the water flowed into the garage. Once I'd removed the iron plates, the drain coped with the water.

Further storms are forecast for next week. Knee permitting I intend to put all of my old rock 'n' roll gear on a pallet and to dig a trench outside the other garage to divert some of the rain water. My exterior garage flooded to a greater depth than the underground garage but did not damage anything.

Now that I'm on the water wagon myself, I may be able to find the time to do this and to get on with a bit more aeromodelling!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You might consider buying or making a water intrusion alarm. This will give you advance notice that you have a problem. Thus, maybe, saving you time and effort in clean up and water removal. I’m the diy type. I tested this with my homemade voltage/continuity tester. I put leads in a small cup of water horn sounds. I placed leads in faucet running water and horn sounds. Pretty simple. The sensor can be made with a push to test feature so you can test it any time you are near it. Just something to consider

Regarding the multiple pump failures you need to determine if it is the same type failure each time. Then troubleshoot a cause for this problem. Different type pump failures present a harder to troubleshoot situation.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:56 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gorgeous weather here in central France so went flying yesterday. I flew three models: my well-flown, by now somewhat battered SLEC Fun Fly, a Boomerang 2 and a Radian electric powered glider. I had a fifteen minute flight from the Radian from a 40 second motor run. It was a good day for thermals!

The Boomerang was powered by an Enya 45 II and it was the model's maiden flight. It took a fair while to get airborne but otherwise flew well. The Boomerang 2 has a fully sheeted wing and is probably a bit heavier than most ARTF trainers of that size.

This is the second Boomerang 2 I've had. The previous one was powered by an Enya 50 SS which flew it beautifully, but I've wrecked the thread in the aluminium of the cylinder into which you screw one of the cylinder head bolts. I'm going to try liquid metal and an M2 tap.

If that fails I'll be up for a new crankcase because it's far too nice an engine to throw away. Which supplier would you recommend?

P.S. I wasn't wearing my National Coal Board overalls yesterday, it was tee shirt and shorts weather! Thunderstorms forecast for tonight.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-30-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:14 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Donnyman, I've been missing in action for the last few days as my internet service was down so I missed it so from one 77 yr. old to another a belated Happy Birthday.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It was forecast to be hot here on Sunday, 32C or 90F so I made an arrangement with my trainee pilot, another expatriate Englishman, a mere youth of 61 summers, to meet at the field at 10.00 before it got too warm. For the French the hours between 12.00 and 14.00 are sacred and on account of the heat few turned up before 18.00. Initially we flew the Radian three channel electric glider before we moved on to the vintage Junior 60 also a three channel model and very stable. I got it up to a good altitude then gave him control he flew it about in the thermals for a good twenty minutes which did wonders for his self confidence.

We then moved onto the Seagull "Boomerang 2" four channel trainer. This model is powered by an Enya 45 and either it's not very powerful or I haven't got it optimately tuned. Take offs were good fun. Our tarmac runway is 80 metres long by 10 metres wide and the fields on each side are sown to wheat which now stands over a metre tall. With the old Enya the Boomerang just about clears the crop but once it's up to a safe altitude you can throttle back and give control to your trainee. He made the usual beginners' mistakes inputs which are too coarse and not balancing aileron with elevator but he's progressing.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I was going to put this in humor but for some reason it seemed more appropriate here...

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 07-05-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 AM
acdii

Use it? Hell I invented it!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yeah, I learned how to read a map in the Boy Scouts!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Now days these kids can't function without the GPS on their electronic babysitters phones!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:17 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by karolh
Donnyman, I've been missing in action for the last few days as my internet service was down so I missed it so from one 77 yr. old to another a belated Happy Birthday.
Thank you!...............The same internet problem occurred here just got back up yesterday, Bad hardware.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 AM
donnyman

I spent the passed few days on honeydo's, the best is the generator in my motorhome is back on line, It is remarkable how small things can cost you a fortune when you don't have the know how to do otherwise, I have learned a bit about the wireing of the electrical system, and still need to make some changes. But our main power source is looking good.

The muffler on the mower broke loose from it's manifold but I welded it back on, the welds don't look like much but it works, cleaned out a old drafting plotter for it's components and made a lot more room in the garage and still a ton of fiber glass fabric to get rid of which will make more room on my way towards the clean up prior to moving, (we still haven't decided to where) but have to be prepared for it, the progress of change in this area is almost frightening, people are showing up with suitcases full of cash money to buy land.

got to get offline I hear thunder bumpers ..... don't want my system fried.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:20 AM
acdii

Well my shop floor is mostly dried up, now to pull out the crap under the benches and start tossing things that got soaked. I have a box of paper towel rolls, the brown kind used in hand dispensers, that was sitting on 2x4's to keep up in case water got it, well, did not expect the water to be 2" deep there and sure enough the entire box is destroyed. The water level under the slab is finally below the drain tile so I can relax and start the cleanup.

Took the week off and got quite a bit done, built an octagonal picnic table, kids helped, ran a 30 Amp RV circuit, did the full maintenance package on my Kubota, and now to get my truck washed and cleaned up, then attack some of the garage work.

Hey Donny what kind of fabric do you have laying around that you wont use? Were you building boats!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:10 AM
donnyman

Well my shop floor is mostly dried up, now to pull out the crap under the benches and start tossing things that got soaked. I have a box of paper towel rolls, the brown kind used in hand dispensers, that was sitting on 2x4's to keep up in case water got it, well, did not expect the water to be 2" deep there and sure enough the entire box is destroyed. The water level under the slab is finally below the drain tile so I can relax and start the cleanup.

Took the week off and got quite a bit done, built an octagonal picnic table, kids helped, ran a 30 Amp RV circuit, did the full maintenance package on my Kubota, and now to get my truck washed and cleaned up, then attack some of the garage work.

Hey Donny what kind of fabric do you have laying around that you wont use? Were you building boats!
You ran a 30 amp circuit for your RV? I am about to do the same I just purchased the components Thursday.

The fabric I have is glass cloth about four foot wide on a roll, I have three or four different weights even some mat. and a lot more than I will ever need, It came from a estate sale I was involved with,
along with a lot of other stuff.

I will be posting for sale much of what I have to let go to prepare to move. I have a beaut. of a 85"-95" w/span F.W. 190 Fiberglass fuse. Kit that is complete and I mean complete, only thing I don't have is the Gunsight, The retracts are sierra's with tires. I won't have time to build it! I have engines coming out of my ears, they gotta go!

As soon as I can, I will make a inventory list of all my for sale items and do a posting.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 AM
acdii

Yeah, I was running a 15 amp extension cord and the ends got corroded, so the low voltage sensor kept tripping. I went and got 100' roll of 10/3 soft cable, the same used for the extension on the RV and put the 30 AMP RV ends on, then mounted a 30 Amp RV outdoor enclosure on the inside wall of the barn and ran 10/3 w/Ground hard wire to the main panel in the barn. Now I can run the A/c and refer all summer and not worry. I keep both going, the A/C to keep it dry and the refer to keep it from getting narly. I have found from past experience that if you don't use it, you usually lose it. The internals of the refer can rust if left to sit unused, but if they are used, even if the refer is empty, they stay dry and wont rust. That way it is ready at the spur of the moment, hey lets go camping. I am also going to use if for cook out food, and stick the 1 lb propane can in so I can refill them. They fill all the way from the 20lb tank when they are frozen.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 PM
YellowBlueBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered a solid waste pump? They cost more but if it has power it will go. After seven sump pumps it may even be cost effective. I have three dead ones over the last few years due to objects getting in the impeller.

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.