Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-14-2019, 11:40 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

A team of seven will represent the club at this year's Coupe Des Barons on 7th September..

The club's president, Roger Aubard, is our best pilot having once been placed tenth in the French national gliding championships and having competed in the French aerobatic championships in the 1980s. Roger will be powering his aircraft with a 1970s OS 30 and may well win the special prize for the competitor with a period engine.

Ludovic Jouinot is the youngest member of the team at thirty years of age. Unusually for one so young, he loves to build and he builds to a very high standard. His work as a panel beater/paint sprayer for a Volkswagen agent probably has something to do with it. He has only learned to fly in the last two or three years but his models are always impeccably turned out and he never seems to damage them. He flies very well indeed. I will be expecting great things from him.

Francois Dutreuil is the oldest member of the team at 78 years old. A retired ship's engineer, he is the best builder in the club. Last year he researched the aircraft in which his grandfather was killed in 1915, a Farman 11. He drew up a plan in CAD, built and flew the model. It was difficult to fly but it flew. So was the original! Picture above. Francois is a good pilot but tends to get a bit nervous. I don't know how he will manage flying in front of two or three hundred people.

The brothers Jean-Luc and Pascal Denis both work in the building trade and make fine models. They are both men in their fifties living with much younger women, lucky dogs!

Gerard van der Meulen, the club's treasurer, is a retired Belgian bookshop owner who speaks about six languages. He is exclusively an electric ARTF flyer, in fact, I had to finish off his Baron. By "finish off" I mean that I had to build the wing and tail surfaces and cover the model!

The Denis brothers and Gerard all think that I'm a better pilot than they are but I don't know about that!

There'll be time to find out before 7th September. We plan to have a couple of Mini-Coupes before La Coupe proper and will invite other local clubs to join us. I'll post pictures of the Mini-Coupes. As I've said before I'm in the process of building a reserve model just in case!

The weather here is awful at the moment. Either too cold to fly, too wet or too windy. When none of those conditions apply, it's too foggy! We are at over 350 metres above sea level here, (1200 feet.) We are all waiting for the Spring!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-14-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

It's Building Season, not flying season!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts

Well I just finished my second week of rehab with the new knee. It sure takes a lot out of you. The bummer is I can't find a position I can ge in and still work on airplanes. All that time off work and I can't build a thing.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well I just finished my second week of rehab with the new knee. It sure takes a lot out of you. The bummer is I can't find a position I can get in and still work on airplanes. All that time off work and I can't build a thing.
Be patient, orthopaedic injuries and surgeries take time to heal. As time passes, you'll get your mobility back as the body heals. The process takes longer than we are used to.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Be patient, orthopaedic injuries and surgeries take time to heal. As time passes, you'll get your mobility back as the body heals. The process takes longer than we are used to.
Thanks for reminding me and bursting my pity party. I have several modeler friends with replacement knees and they agree the first 2 to 3 weeks are rough but it gets better with time. Everyone I met who has had it done says it was their best decision they ever made. My PT guy told me to expect to see swelling the first 2 months, it goes away gradually. I'm just behaving like an impatient ARF flyer!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 PM
GallopingGhostler

Fortunately your doctor wasn't an ARF surgeon.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Prompt rétablissement Flyer! Repose-toi bien!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX9623
Hello all
I am just getting back to flying after twenty years off.
I spent the last two months rebuilding seven glow engines and gathering my tools and setting up my workshop. I’m a mechanic and a motorcycle racer so that was easy.

I joined a local club and redid my AMA membership. Now I am finishing up a nice pattern plane with a Saito 80 four stroke. My plan is to pick up a couple used planes to use as trainers to get the pass so I can solo at the field and get the OK to fly alone.
I am looking forward to that. I have been flying micro helicopters and a simulator for a couple years. But I’m not going to get cocky. Old guys know better.
i used to fly pylon and pattern back in the early nineties. Now I want to look at 3D once I get back. I’m also looking at these scale electric stuff. A lot has changed in twenty years.
Welcome back to the greatest hobby ever plus to a forum where some really nice guys hang out, so hopefully you will stick around and join in the chatter. I too took a 15 year break from the hobby back in the late 60's and was amazed at the massive strides the hobby took during my absence as when I left there was no plastic coverings, epoxy and CA, but since I've been back it's been one hell of a ride which I am enjoying to the max.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Prompt rétablissement Flyer! Repose-toi bien!
Merci d'avoir posté, jeune homme! En tant que membre de la 264ème Fanfare de l'Armée, Fort Shafter, à Hawaii, nous avons joué "Le Regiment de Sambre et Meuse". (As a member of the 264th Army Band, Fort Shafter, Hawaii, we played "The French National Defile March".)

Longue vie à la France!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I just finished my second week of rehab with the new knee. It sure takes a lot out of you. The bummer is I can't find a position I can ge in and still work on airplanes. All that time off work and I can't build a thing.
My brother in law did both knees at once, and yes the first couple of weeks were hard but now he says it's the best decision he's ever made and wonders why he waited all of ten years to take the plunge, and now one year later he's skipping around like a teenager.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Merci d'avoir posté, jeune homme! En tant que membre de la 264ème Fanfare de l'Armée, Fort Shafter, à Hawaii, nous avons joué "Le Regiment de Sambre et Meuse". (As a member of the 264th Army Band, Fort Shafter, Hawaii, we played "The French National Defile March".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vU6L_7IgcY

Longue vie à la France!
Tres bien GG! Quelle belle musique!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello gentlemen
This weekend was a surprise to me. The Georgetown Texas swap meet occurred and it was a humdanger, a lot of vendors sold out smiles were all over the place. I wasn't in the building five minutes when I saw a kit of a plane I was in the process scratching up ( 1/2A controline Swordsman) very reasonable price. I was bugging G. Ghostler for dimensions,( I even found the exact engine for it at less than a dollar.) there was Factory new in the box kits of almost anything you could think of R/C and Controline on several different tables. I was surprised to see at least two new green label Nobeler kits, the selection from table to table was very good. Engines of all types and sizes, one table had at least fifteen built up models all but one sold. there was a lot of empty tables near the end of the meet. I was mad at myself because I didn't have my camera so I could show you guys. I spent all of $20 dollars and gave away half of what I purchased, What I took home will save me a mountain of time and expense. A good day!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:12 AM
donnyman

Hang in there friend, you will be running in the marathon before long.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

We held our annual "Gallette du Roi?" meeting at the clubhouse yesterday. I believe it commemorates the arrival of the Three Kings in Bethlehem. Basically a special cake is eaten, washed down with a glass of cider. The cake is cut into pieces and served, and the bakers put a small figurine into each cake. If you find a figurine in youre slice then you are the king and get to wear a paper hat! I won. Let's hope it's an omen!

The flying field is waterlogged. I managed to drive out of the field in my rwd van but not without leaving a couple of grooves in the grass. Snow is forecast for during the next few days. As acdii said above, it's building season not flying season!

I will be driving down to Gueret the local administrative centre later today to apply for a "Carte de Sejour," a resident's permit. The equivalent of a Green Card.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hang in there friend, you will be running in the marathon before long.
Marathon?! Too much work I wan to get back to the building board!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
We held our annual "Gallette du Roi?" meeting at the clubhouse yesterday. I believe it commemorates the arrival of the Three Kings in Bethlehem. Basically a special cake is eaten, washed down with a glass of cider. The cake is cut into pieces and served, and the bakers put a small figurine into each cake. If you find a figurine in youre slice then you are the king and get to wear a paper hat! I won. Let's hope it's an omen!

The flying field is waterlogged. I managed to drive out of the field in my rwd van but not without leaving a couple of grooves in the grass. Snow is forecast for during the next few days. As acdii said above, it's building season not flying season!

I will be driving down to Gueret the local administrative centre later today to apply for a "Carte de Sejour," a resident's permit. The equivalent of a Green Card.
A similar if not the same celebration is carried out amongst the Mexican community here with a figurine of the baby CHRIST in a cake. My family participated while visiting Mexico some years ago. NICE!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM
donnyman

Marathon?! Too much work I wan to get back to the building board!
I here you! But my problem isn't the knees it's hunnydo's.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
I here you! But my problem isn't the knees it's hunnydo's.
Worse han knee surgery hey never end!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM
acdii

I see you have a T problem like I have a B problem. The B key is missing on my laptop and I have to press it firmly to get a B.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
FlyerInOKC

Yew, I forgot to check. The "T" works like my old knee did.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:24 PM
donnyman

I spent all week trying to understand why the thermostat control panel in my R/V went dead suddenly, while checking the fuses I found one laying on the floor, well I was lost until I found a trouble shoot chart that said to check the fuse for the control box power..................I rechecked my fuse panel again to find a open slot then remembered the fuse from the floor, yep three days looking to find out the fuse fell out. I now have heat again. darnedest thing is my TV went dead at almost the same time it's in the teardown mode now.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 PM
acdii

Mice
Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Mice
You maybe right! but I have a solution for that also. And the TV is going to the trash. My usual technique with TV's is to dismantle and look for obvious defects finding none I trash it. I do not have electronic trouble shooting skills though I have repaired several TV's by replacing burned and bulging capacitors. using info on you tube.

This TV is toast

By the way those that have keyboard keys sticking can disassemble and clean them, It's easy, try it. use contact cleaner/lube. (disconnect from the computer first)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I, too, am having electrical issues; on my Honda Fourtrax ATV. I’ve been babying a failing battery. I’ve managed to get it started with the starter or kick start; until yesterday. Yesterday I started it with the starter but failed to give it a good warm up period. So it stalled on me when I tried to move it. I made a second start attempt and heard a loud pop. Battery died so I tried the kick start but it didn’t work. Then I noticed that the neutral light was off. I had a total electrical failure.

Today I charged the battery, checked the fuses and tested up to the starter relay. All checked good. Going to study the wiring diagram to see where the failure may be. Not fun. I use this ATV practically every day so I have to get it running.

On the RC electrical side I am doing better in my quest for an electric foamy airplane. I got a couple of cheap motors, ESC and propellers. I’m learning new terminology. Throttle calibration, brake, low voltage cut off, timing, etc. I’ve gotten to the calibration point and have a motor running. I need to get a watt meter so I can get a better understanding of what I have. Slowly getting there. This is fun fun.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ETpilot
On the RC electrical side I am doing better in my quest for an electric foamy airplane. I got a couple of cheap motors, ESC and propellers. I’m learning new terminology. Throttle calibration, brake, low voltage cut off, timing, etc. I’ve gotten to the calibration point and have a motor running. I need to get a watt meter so I can get a better understanding of what I have. Slowly getting there. This is fun fun.
I bought one of these Watt meters and have found it real handy and easy to work. If they are out of stock they will notify you if you ask. You may be able to find he same one elsewhere if you look around.

180 Amp Watt Meter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.