Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah but Litho plate is a lot thicker and heavier. Donny you could use a sharpened tube to simulate flush rivets in the Aerofoil after covering. I would test both methods on a piece of scrap balsa to see what works best for you.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 AM
acdii

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Yeah but Litho plate is a lot thicker and heavier. Donny you could use a sharpened tube to simulate flush rivets in the Aerofoil after covering. I would test both methods on a piece of scrap balsa to see what works best for you.
Yes it is. I meant it tongue and cheek since the one I was referring to is also something like 1/4 scale.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 AM
donnyman

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Litho plate isn't easy to find around here. I wanted to try it out but no luck on getting some. I have done a lot of testing on samples of aluminum and such with varying amounts of success.

I looked for pics but couldn't find them.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Yes it is. I meant it tongue and cheek since the one I was referring to is also something like 1/4 scale.
so is mine!............Old picture.

Last edited by donnyman; 10-10-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Donny, that is one big beautiful bird!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:13 AM
donnyman

It is also one big pain in the ..........
Old 10-10-2019, 06:42 AM
acdii

Aren't they all. Oh,wait, you mean the plane!
Old 10-25-2019, 04:50 AM
donnyman

A cold front has arrived and dropped the temperature into the 50's and I have accomplished a bunch of honey do's (before the cold, but not enough) but it is beginning to look like building season or at least maybe I'll be able to spend more time in my shop. Momma wanted me to cut the grass but I could not build up enough steam so it wasn't done. but I did do other things

If I can get the mustang and King Kobra finished I could fulfill this urge to begin something new. the c47 and the fw-190 has been on my mind for a while but I must resist the urge to start them or I will be over my head in half built models

Are you guys still with me or am I talking to myself? it's been kinda quiet around here HELLO?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:04 AM
acdii

Same boat here, looks like tomorrow will be OK, so have a lot of things to get done, need to wash two trucks, wash the trailer, empty it, clean the interior and winterize it, then shove it in the barn for the winter. Then I have a bunch of other little chores to get done. I did work on my Liberty Sport last night, have some sanding left to do for the top wing, then I need to get the cabane built and drill/tap the mounts, then start covering it. I have the fin and elevator covered already, need to sand the stab so I can cover it, then install the hinges and the elevator so I can install the fin. That would be the last of the building, then it is all covering. Going to use Koverall and dope, I may use latex and 2K clear for the color, haven't decided yet because I may want to go full scale and detail it out which requires two shades of gray, which would get expensive with dope.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold front huh? Was 29 at 6:30 on my way out to breakfast.
Trying to get around to opening the box with the Motion R/C A-10 Thunderbolt 2 in it, good time to start, cold out.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its been raining since Wednesday night here and the windchill last night was 29. Rain won't be stopping until Sunday when it will reach 68!. It may rain again on Monday and Wednesday according to who's forecast you watch.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:05 AM
acdii

I am so tired of rain. Seems like every time it gets to be almost dried out(my back lot) it rains again, and heavy rains too. My septic had just finally dried, and now it's a swamp again. The field itself under the ground is not the issue, it's not backing up, but the ground above it is saturated. We have one of those dome fields that have the plastic tent shape with the perforated pipe hanging in the middle with a large air gap over the gravel bed. The ground above it is soaked, and water pools all along the stretch it is buried in. Nasty stagnant water. I had knocked down a bunch of scrub trees along the backside with the tractor, and it rained. just as it gets dry again, the weekend comes and it rains again. Supposed to get another 1/2" of rain Saturday night. Great, more water in the basement.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

I am really starting to understand why basements never caught on in Oklahoma.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:40 AM
acdii

Well down south they don't need a foundation to be 6+ feet deep. Only up here where the ground freezes do we need them. Y'all down there need root cellars to escape the toronadoes.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Well down south they don't need a foundation to be 6+ feet deep. Only up here where the ground freezes do we need them. Y'all down there need root cellars to escape the toronadoes.
My son rented a farm house in northern Kansas that had a basement and a door in the outside basement wall leading to a root cellar. It was full of antique looking bottles.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:39 PM
donnyman

I see the weather is hitting a lot of us! it has been cold and windy all day, the wind is calming a bit but still busy. I have been sitting right here reading some of the old post in this thread, it is still good reading. my concentration was broken when my wife handed me some just delivered parts for my motor home, (sway bar bushings) I am not sure if I will install them I have to do some other stuff underneath as well. and put in a fuel filter but not in this weather.

I was reading some post about electrics, and remembered a picture I took at our last electric meet ........ check this thing out! That's what I call a battery charger "extrordanier" it could power my house. I think it cost close to 4 grand (don't quote me)

we got about 4.5" of rain last night along with a lot of lightning thunder bumpers and wind it is in the fifties now and tomorrow will heat up into the seventies, We got a flash flood warning but no tornado's so I am ok , Tornadoes scare the hell out of me!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

Donny, you are like me. The closest you want to get to a Tornado is on TV!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

My brother lives in Port Richey, Florida, experiences bad weather all too often, had damage from the last two tornado's.
I live in Gardnerville, Nevada, noth'n ever happen here...... knock on wood.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:27 PM
ETpilot

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well after getting my roof done l needed to paint the woodwork, soffits, eaves, shutters. etc. Roofer recommended a painter. So I said send him over for an estimate. They didnít show up for a long time so I decided I would do it myself. Which was my original plan. So I got started.

Well into my prep work, the painter shows up. I said thanks but no thanks. But I got his phone number just in case. Painter stated the roofer had just told him about this job. So I didnít fault him.

So I get this house prepped, caulked, filling where needed, masked all the areas not needing paint, purchased my paint. Had a good work window for spraying. When the big day arrived, my sprayer let me down. It would not prime. I couldnít believe it. It always worked so I never did a pre check. I checked all that could be checked. Called the factory went through a bunch of steps. A mystery why it will not prime. Factory canít figure it out either. Iím going to try a couple of new Oírings but I fear the problem is the pump piston. Will see. Time for plan B.

I call the painter and he will be here next weekend and do the job. So today with all this rain I got to touch that airplane build that has been going on forever. Just about done with the covering and final to do. I want this plane out of my way. Will post a picture when done. Trying to relax with all this going on. Iíll be glad when the painting Is over.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like your painter is a busy man. That's a good sign.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:12 AM
ETpilot

Yes, the painter does stay busy. Highly recommended so should do good work. With all the rain we had yesterday my masking of the house held good. I mask with paper. The painter uses plastic. So I see how this works out.

I'm going to do the final couple of things on my airplane build. Should be done today. Then take a picture and set in storage for a while.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:53 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Donny, you are like me. The closest you want to get to a Tornado is on TV!
sometimes that's too close, them things are making me wanting to move away from here, I have shingles to replace because the clown that installed them did not remove the protective covering on the adhesive strip which permitted the wind to flip them up.

we are thinking of moving but California is burning to the dirt so that's out. Now at one time we thought of Nevada but doesn't it snow there? Florida impressed us, and we looked at homes in Orlando but once again it get's mighty windy sometimes just like here then sinks into the ground. we checked out Georgia too. .......................thus far we have been blessed the the real bad stuff has passed us by but I am still kinda worried.

Last edited by donnyman; 10-26-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:23 AM
ETpilot

The East coast you get Hurricanes. The Gulf coast you get Hurricanes. The North coast you get very cold weather and Blizzards. The West coast you get fires and high winds. The Midwest Tornado alley. Central Texas is on the fringe. Best stay here. Move farther West maybe but you loose all the nice trees we have.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Papasal

Default The Clubhouse

Hello all " Ye Olde Timers" New to the forum, but not to the hobby. Been flying, er trying to fly since was 5-6 years old. My Dad took me to a local hobby shop in Torrance Ca. That's when I saw it..... a brand new control line Cox .049 Corsair in a cool see through box; man I remember the dreams to this day of it flying that model, boy was I hooked! My Dad was a WWII POW, an B-17 bombardier , shot down over Berlin. This was the early 60's now, Christmas is still special for me, for many reasons, one of them was that brand new plane wrapped under the tree! The next day we went to the LHS and bought the fuel kit complete with a filler top for the Cox fuel can, and a glow plug connector, all we needed to complete the purchase was a Cat-O'- Nine 1-1/2V dry battery. The next morning we went to the horse race track parking lot with all of our glorious goodies. Dad let me fill the little gas tank; I remember the fuel ran down my hand, and how cold the fuel was! Dad brought that little...then...but huge to me....engine to life while I held the plane still.......Dad grabbed the elevator control (I knew what all the flying parts were already), pulled the line taught......and gave me the "OK" to let go......The plane started to roll faster and faster...........an went straight up.....then straight into the asphalt parking lot.........and that was just the start of my model plane life. Fast forward to 1970, I, built quite a few plastic models and a couple of Gullow models,and my time behind the control was two of to this day favorite control line planes: a Sterling Ring Master with silkspan and cloth control hinges, doped and painted black and red, my favorite color combo to this day. and a Flying Fool Bi-Plane. in 1972ish I built my first RC plane, (pictured) It was an RCM trainer 40 with a K+B 40 RC engine, and a Kraft 7ch radio system. Very Cool! That plane flew so good! It still may be somewhere out there in RC land. I had to sell my hobby quite a few times in my life. Been flying old timers ( Kload King) on and off with 4cy. Saito engines. Fast forward again to 1999, the world was coming to an end and my Sister-in Law bought all the guys a little indoor RC helicopter. I use to think that RC rotor- wing pilots had a screw loose,..........guess I have several screws loose! It started with that little indoor heli and progressed to a T-Rex 450XL which I still have to this day, even though it has had SEVERAL Lives and transformations. (pictured). Had a scale heli too! What a blast! AND by using a simulator my reflexes have really gotten pretty quick, a true blessing for my dumb thumbs. It's now 2019 and in the hanger is a Gold Wing Pitts Python 50cc gasser. Told you I had screws loose! Flying Futaba since 1975 and to this day. Glad I stumbled into this forum! Notice the Python color! (Sorry not enough posts YET).

Last edited by Papasal; 10-26-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 10-26-2019, 03:39 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Yesterday morning when I went to work at 6:15 it was 29 degrees, made it into the mid 50's yesterday. Today it hit 62. Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 46. Cold front coming through tonight. My right knees says it's here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.