Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

Any of you guys got experience of fitting floats to a model aeroplane?I've gone and bit the bullet and I've bought a set of ready-made floats. I thought I'd prepare a model for floats over the winter. The floats were advertised on the internet advertised as being suitable for models weighing up to 5kgs or 11lbs. I had intended to fit them either to my Senior Telemaster or perhaps to my WOT 4 XL. When they arrived they turned out to be VQ Model 635 2481 Floats intended for a 40-46 size model.

I consulted the book "Radio Control Airplane Workshop Secrets" and was advised that the length of the floats should be 75% of the length of the fuselage. As the floats are 92cms long or almost exactly 36" then the maximum fuselage length should be 115cms or 48".

My Senior Telemaster, with flaps, Barn Door ailerons, spruce spars and a glider tow release weighs 12lbs 4ozs (5.5kgs) and its fuselage length is 1.5 metres or 60" so it fails to meet the criteria for both the weight or the fuselage length.

My WOT 4 XL has a fuselage of only 48" but it is powered by a 150 V twin fourstroke. In the picture it has an Enya 120 FS installed. The problem with the WOT 4 XL is that underside of the fuselage is far from flat which may make the installation of floats difficult.

Click image for larger version

Name:	675740.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	2266052

I have a vintage Uproar, a replica of the model which placed second in the European Airobatics Championships in 1959. It has a flat fuselage bottom but it only has a tiny rudder so whether that would be suitable as the basis for a float plane I don't know.

Name:	588398.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2266053

Otherwise I could build a Telemaster 40 fuselage and tailplane. I still have the wing. It broke off one day when I was demonstrating the model to a potential buyer! That'll teach me!

Name:	522194.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	2266054

Or I could buy an ARTF 40-46 size trainer and convert that.

What are your views?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts

What about a Baron wouldn't it fit the criteria for those floats ?
Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I messed around with floats a bunch over the years, and I would scratch-build a fuselage to fit the Telemaster wing. A Big Stik style of fuse, robust, and with hard points to mount the floats, is how I would go. Pay close attention to the thrust line and the angle of attack on the floats, and consider a water rudder on the floats if the rudder on the vertical stab is small. Also consider recovery options - flying off water introduces lots of challenges to plan for.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I thought about using a Baron but its fuselage is a bit too short for the length of the floats.

I think that I will follow your advice Stickum and build another Telemaster 40 fuselage and tailplane as it's about the correct length for the floats, besides I was thinking of resurrecting the T40 as a trainer anyway, it flies so well and I do a fair bit of instructing. I may simplify the fuselage construction however, and cover the fuselage with 1/32" balsa sheet as I am currently building a vintage model called The Big Guff and I have been impressed by how much rigidity has been imparted by the 1/32" sheet covering on this model.As you can see in my previous post, the tailplane survived the crash but two house moves later it has disappeared. I am wondering whether to fit an electric motor as per my original Telemaster 40, or whether to fit a four stroke engine. I have a few homeless 48-70 four strokes which would fit.

Telemaster 40.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey acdii I just had a thought (I know that's dangerous!) now that you have a laser cutter I have an idea for a builder's tool you could cut if only for your own uses. I know someone was selling a wood laser cut version of these a while back. It would be handy when you are building wings. You could make some in additional sizes like a second version with 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" though I don't recall seeing and wing ribs thicker than 3/16".

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 01-10-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a lot of three of those - group buy?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283720477861
Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hey acdii I just had a thought (I know that's dangerous!) now that you have a laser cutter I have an idea for a builder's tool you could cut if only for your own uses. I know someone was selling a wood laser cut version of these a while back. It would be handy when you are building wings. You could make some in additional sizes like a second version with 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" though I don't recall seeing and wing ribs thicker than 3/16".

When mine wears out I can. Though a package of them for dry assembling wings would come in handy, so thanks for the tip.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:54 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The construction of the Big Guff continues. I have covered the tail surfaces in Red and Antique Solartex. I intend to cover the fuselage too and to move both of them into the guest bedroom while I attend to smaller models requiring servicing or repair before the flying season starts in earnest. The tailplane is over a yard wide (94cms) and could have been easily damaged in its uncovered state. Building the tailplane with its "eggbox" system of construction has been good practice for the wings which are built in a similar way. The assembly weighs 8.5 oza or 241 grammes. I have not yet glued the hinges in place nor the fin to the tailplane.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking tail my friend!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'll say this for the French, they really know how to break up what could otherwise be a long cold dreary winter! Just before Christmas three local villages got together and held a fund raising dinner to aid children's charities. After the dinner there was dancing to a live band. In February we can anticipate another social evening where a tartiflette will be served. This is a traditional French peasants' dish made up of potatoes, onions, and diced bacon with a cheese sauce. There will be dancing to a live band at this function too and funds will be raised for organisations which help the disabled. I believe that this year they will be concentrating on helping the mentally ill; a hidden form of illness but one which is too widespread and unacknowledged in Western societies.

Yesterday we held a "Gallette du Rois" at the model aeroplane club's premises. Over twenty members of the club turned up, some with their wives and children and even grandchildren. A Gallette du Rois is a cake consisting of two layers of puff pastry with a frangipane filling, sometimes they are baked with apples inside as well and they are washed down with sweet cider from Normandy. They are traditionally eaten at this time of year in France to commemorate the arrival of the kings when they visited the baby Jesus. Afterwards, as it was still sunny and calm, I put in an hour and a half's instructing.

In March we will be putting on a static display of our models at a local community centre. We have invited two other clubs to participate.

12th January has dawned clear and bright, very calm with a heavy frost. Perfect flying weather I plan to maiden the T6 today providing that I can get the slow speed running right on the OS 61 Surpass. I've had my cooked English breakfast and my orange miner's overalls are ready, so I've no excuse!

12th January is the anniversary of when Miss Blue Eyes and I first met so I'd better phone her up or my life won't be worth living!

Trish, Bertie and your humble servant at La Coupe Des Barons 2019.

Ditto. My entry has been accepted for this year too.

I'll bet that you look good on the dance floor. I could lose a few pounds mind!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-12-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

On your last comment above I would estimate too much wine, tartiflette, and Gallette du Rois. I prescribe more dancing with Miss Blue Eyes. You make we want to move to France!

On an airplane note I have a new friend name Douglas in lives in
Lassay-les-Châteaux, Pays de la Loire, France. Douglas received a new 3D printer for Christmas and was looking for a project. After hearing about the Pink airplane I am working on it printed me a pilot and observer. Allow me to present Capt. Panthère Rose and his observer Lt. Panthère Noire.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

This came from my brother this morning:

Old 01-14-2020, 05:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

What was it that came from your brother this morning Flyer? If I click on the box below your text I get a picture of my own Senior Telemaster in flight!
Old 01-14-2020, 05:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
What was it that came from your brother this morning Flyer? If I click on the box below your text I get a picture of my own Senior Telemaster in flight!
Weird, it shows on my screen. I will add it as an attachment.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Very true Flyer unless you came from South Wales, Devon or Cornwall. They like a bit of seaweed in those places, served for breakfast with bacon, egg, tomatoes, black or white pudding, sausages, mushrooms and soya beans in tomato sauce. Now go and lay 800 bricks in a eight hour shift, or work hewing coal for six hours, or spend a day out on the fishing trawlers! Those were the days!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Very true Flyer unless you came from South Wales, Devon or Cornwall. They like a bit of seaweed in those places, served for breakfast with bacon, egg, tomatoes, black or white pudding, sausages, mushrooms and soya beans in tomato sauce. Now go and lay 800 bricks in a eight hour shift, or work hewing coal for six hours, or spend a day out on the fishing trawlers! Those were the days!
Those guys must have burned through calories like crazy. I would dare to say the were a stouter bunch then us slackers these days.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

David has been giving us regular reports on his Big Guff and I thought I would pass along some new information I just spotted. I regularly hit a couple laser cutting sites to see what if anything new they have added to their projects they offer. Low and behold Bob over at LDS has added the Big Guff to his inventory! He offers short kit with plans and a wood pack. He provides a link to the three part build article from the November & December 1940 issues and the January 1941 issue of Air trails written by the designers Bill and Walter good. I was unable to upload the .pdf of the article it exceeded RCU's size limit. David if you need the article and can't get it thru the link send me a PM.

Big Guff + Wood Pack - $183.50 : Laser Design Services
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
David has been giving us regular reports on his Big Guff and I thought I would pass along some new information I just spotted. I regularly hit a couple laser cutting sites to see what if anything new they have added to their projects they offer. Low and behold Bob over at LDS has added the Big Guff to his inventory! He offers short kit with plans and a wood pack. He provides a link to the three part build article from the November & December 1940 issues and the January 1941 issue of Air trails written by the designers Bill and Walter good. I was unable to upload the .pdf of the article it exceeded RCU's size limit. David if you need the article and can't get it thru the link send me a PM.

Big Guff + Wood Pack - $183.50 : Laser Design Services
I am actually using an LDS short kit to build my Big Guff. The lazer cutting is very good but I cannot say the same for the plan. I have a build log for it on RC Groups.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...f-This-is-mine
Old 01-15-2020, 07:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

I am actually using an LDS short kit to build my Big Guff. The lazer cutting is very good but I cannot say the same for the plan. I have a build log for it on RC Groups.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...f-This-is-mine
Well since you quit keeping the thread a secret I will go over and subscribe to it.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:23 AM
acdii

So.... Are you going to have custom graphics for it?

Something like

The Big Guff-AWW
Old 01-15-2020, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
So.... Are you going to have custom graphics for it?

Something like

The Big Guff-AWW
Lol! As big as it is I would suggest something like Hot Rod flames to add a bit of color.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am going to have, "Gagnant du Championnat Américain Telecommande 1938-1941" printed on the fin.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds good!
Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 AM
acdii

pfft no humor
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
pfft no humor
I guess were a bunch of curmudgeons around here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.