Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM
acdii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, must just be me wanting to be different. After all, everyone paints their B-25 to look like an olive drab WWII bomber, not me, mine is bright blue with a white belly with Tootsie on her nose. When I build a P-40, no shark teeth for me, mine will be Raptor teeth.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:10 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Well, must just be me wanting to be different. After all, everyone paints their B-25 to look like an olive drab WWII bomber, not me, mine is bright blue with a white belly with Tootsie on her nose. When I build a P-40, no shark teeth for me, mine will be Raptor teeth.
I think it can be safely said I like different too. I present a Pink Saito with a pink airplane to follow. I like ugly airplanes you don't forget them.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Lol! As big as it is I would suggest something like Hot Rod flames to add a bit of color.
Not on the Big Guff! The Hot Rod flames are going to go on the WOT 4 XL once I've got round to re-covering it!

I will be fitting a Laser 150 V Twin to it too just to be different.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

The Wot4 looks really good in that picture!
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Nearly three years after I had fitted the engine to the airframe, I finally got round to maidening the Harvard this afternoon. I had been having some problems with the slow speed running of the engine, an OS 61 FS Surpass, but that was only a question of making a few mechanical adjustments and regulating the control throws on the transmitter, a Spektrum DX9.

I tested the running of the engine on the stand and measured the cg. It was 10mms in front of the recommended position but I finally ran out of excuses and decided to fly it anyway! It was fine, calm and sunny this afternoon but cold at about 7C or 45F. I turned up at the flying field at about a quarter past three. None of my club mates were there but I unloaded the van, filled the tank, started the engine, and took it to out runway. The wind had picked up and I began to have second thoughts, but I comforted myself with the thought that I am a competent and experienced pilot, although my experience with low wing models is not that extensive, besides I had a 10cc fourstroke in the nose so the model should be capable of handling a bit of a breeze.

I placed the model onto our tarmac runway and advanced the throttle, initially the model wanted to tip over onto its nose but I held it. It accelerated and then I watched amazed as the model took off and tracked beautifully in a steady climb. It required no more than a little aileron and elevator trim before it flew beautifully. I didn't try any aerobatics just circuits and eights but it flew beautifully. I've only fitted a 6 oz or 180 cc tank to it so I brought it in to a superb wheeler landing right on the "piste!"

As I was all alone I have no pictures of the occasion bit here's a pictute of the model on the stand, and another of our runway.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

Good looking plane David! We Douglas really came through for me. I am pleased to announce my flight crew has arrived! A couple of photos for your viewing pleasure. Its weird though every time I turned my back I swore I heard someone making airplane noises. I would say the scale looks about right. What do you think?

Old 01-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Looking good Flyer!

Do you think that Douglas could do a quarter-scale replica of Albert Ball for me to match my unbuilt DB Sport and Scale SE5?

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-18-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:25 PM
FlyerInOKC

You could ask. The Panthers and Piglet he found files for and then added the flying cap. It would probably depend on what he could find in a ready made file..
Old 01-20-2020, 10:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
Looking good Flyer!

Do you think that Douglas could do a quarter-scale replica of Albert Ball for me to match my unbuilt DB Sport and Scale SE5?
David I just sent you a PM on the subject.

Mike
Old 01-21-2020, 02:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thanks for the pm Mike.

I successfully maidened the Flair AT6/Harvard last Saturday and was delighted with its flying characteristics, but many years ago I bought a Brian Taylor North American AT6/Harvard from an old boy in Somerset in the South West of England. He'd made a lovely job of it. It's finished in post war RAF colours, two pilots, retracts the lot. It's slightly bigger than the Flair Harvard but it's covered overall in sheet balsa so it's going to be heavier than the Flair version which means of course that it's going to fly more quickly and stall at a higher speed.

This will be my first experience of flying a model with retracts. Does anyone have any experience of flying this model or of anything similar? Is there anything I should look out for?

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product...-harvard-68-5/

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-21-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:49 AM
acdii

Remember to put the gear down, BEFORE you land. Use the flaps, and keep the speed up, they land hot. Do what I do, go 3 mistakes high and stall it a few times with and without flaps to see what it does. Should fly pretty good though considering it is a heavy metal trainer, and not a Mustang.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget to put the gear down before you land
Old 01-21-2020, 05:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, you might touch base with Douglas he is interested in visit the next Coupe Des Barons. Maybe the two of you could meet up then?

Mike
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you gentlemen, that's exactly what I did when landing the Flair AT6, kept the speed up, I had been warned! I don't think that my Brian Taylor model has flaps. Until this afternoon I hadn't even looked at the model for years. I found out however that my retracts feature oleos so that's fortunate.

Mike, I'll get in touch with Douglas about La Coupe Des Barons. It's being held on 13th June this year and 70 miles (113 kms) nearer to my home. The Corsicans objected to the event being held in September, so did the younger element because it interfered with their education. The twin girls have entered, Iris and Clara Fesquet. They'll be sixteen or seventeen now. Proper young ladies. At least four entrants have dropped out already but their places have been taken by people on the waiting list. All of the Berry Marche Modelisme team are in except for Gilbert who's a very inexperienced pilot anyway and probably not yet ready for the cut and thrust of competition. They have increased the size of eligible four strokes to 0.56 cubic inches. I am thinking of removing the OS 48 from my model and fitting a Thunder Tiger 54.

It's nice to have a few contributions from people other than Mike and myself. We were beginning to feel neglected! I look forward to hearing everybody's stories even if it's only about shovelling snow in Saskatchewan.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

I suspect with the weather of late Donny and the others are spending their time trying to keep warm.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I suspect with the weather of late Donny and the others are spending their time trying to keep warm.

If it's that cold they should all have heated workshops and be posting pictures of their winter builds.

22nd January has dawned cold but bright. A heady 9C (48F) is forecast with light winds. I've a couple of shutters to offer up to the French doors and once they're ok, it'll be on with the orange overalls, then I'm going flying!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-22-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Have fun!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:27 AM
donnyman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Donny is here just keeping my mouth shut. I've been taking care of many details here and haven't had much to say.
Building has been sporadic to say the least, my shop is on the second floor and climbing the stairs puts the hurts on my knees and such. I tried to build a shop at ground level and could not finish it so it is now a pile of rubble.
We have a swap meet this week end and I have to get my motor home licensed which I will do today so I can stay at the meet site overnight. This motor home is a pain in the neck but is hard to beat when you are at a remote location
and mother nature calls. so I just got it back from the shop and I was pleasantly surprised by the reasonable cost of repairs. all my problems have been fixed and driving it is very nice.

I have been meaning to post pics of the landing gear I mentioned but keep forgetting I will have some pics soon.

bye for now!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck at the swap meet Donny!
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Nice to hear from you Donny, Happy New Year!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey David I warned Douglas you might put the bite on him for an Albert Ball bust. He hasn't shot the idea down yet so he just might be considering it.

Mike
Old 01-23-2020, 12:54 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
Nice to hear from you Donny, Happy New Year!

Looks like someone may have a new toy in the wings! You should have this picture in your email.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:32 PM
GallopingGhostler

Talking

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Donny is here just keeping my mouth shut. I've been taking care of many details here and haven't had much to say.
Good to hear from you Donny, it's not like you to keep silent in this forum for long, welcome back!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 PM
donnyman

Good luck at the swap meet Donny!
Thank you!

And a happy new year to you too David belated as it is.

I looked for all the retract landing gear I wanted to sell and wouldn't you know the p-61 gear is in a box at the bottom of a pile of boxes, don't know when I'll get to them. I wanted a picture for you. so I tokk picture of some of the other gear I need to let go.................. I have a bunch more!

these are Robart 60 size--air

60 size mustang gear from century jet models

spring air

90 degree robarts

1/4 scale Robart 90 degree rotating

some I do not recognize
Old 01-23-2020, 05:47 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler View Post
Good to hear from you Donny, it's not like you to keep silent in this forum for long, welcome back!
I really been peeking in every now and then, this political situation we have is a disgusting/depressing mess. Our politicians are ignoring the Constitution .......................... no!..... I better let this go!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.