Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Sounds like a great celebration David! I do believe Miss Blue Eyes is a keeper!
Indeed she is. I'm thinking of selling up and moving back to England, high house prices, lousy climate, road tax, expensive wines and all!

Meanwhile I may be going back to England for my sister's 70th birthday in early June depending upon what arrangements my sister may have already made. Miss Blue Eyes, also known as Patricia or "Trish" is coming out on 5th June to play the role of my mechanic at La Coupe Des Barons on June 13th and I intend on driving back for the Cocklebarrow Vintage Fly-In in August or September.

I do miss her when she's not by my side and putting her on the aircraft in Limoges was an emotional strain for both of us. The house is very quiet.

On a brighter note however, we saw a Red Squirrel on the grass by the side of the road while driving to the airport in Limoges so Spring cannot be far away and calm weather is forecast for the next three days. I'm going flying!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-12-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:30 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts

Moving is a fate worse than death! But I can see Trish might be a very tempting excuse.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Moving is a fate worse than death! But I can see Trish might be a very tempting excuse.
I know all about moving having moved from England to France in 2015, from one village to another in 2016 and having moved Trish back to England in the two tonner last year but besides any emotional attachment, I was seventy-two on Wednesday and Trish is only eight months younger. Realistically, we are only going to get older and weaker in whatever time is left to us before our date with the Grim Reaper. It would be good to have someone to care for and someone to care for me.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is a big plus. Me and the Mrs are coming up on 41 years in May. This Coronavirus thing has really got her scarred.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:13 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It took several days for my daughter to pack her stuff up for her move to Arkansas and didn't take close to half of her things so she will be back in a few weeks.

We are worried about the virus thing also and are glad we live a long way from other people. and I won't be going to the swap meet this month. (too many people)

David........ It is a good thing to have a mate, the wife and I are almost at 58 years it's not all peaches and cream but well worth it.

The weather here is fantastic yesterday and today but rain is forecast for this weekend we'll see. but it has me in the building mood and I am back in my shop.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Going to have a Virus and Disease party this weekend

Old 03-13-2020, 10:45 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Every time I hear the word "Corona" it makes me smile.

Corona was a manufacturer of carbonated soft drinks and the Corona van was part of my childhood. The van, actually a flatbed lorry or truck, had a structure built onto the flatbed to enable wooden boxes to be stored at a slight angle, that way the boxes and the bottles would not tip out. I believe the van used to turn up on a Friday evening when all of the husbands had been paid and I can remember my mother buying us lemonade, ginger beer, orangeade, raspberryade and dandelion and burdock!

The business was originally set up by a couple of Welshmen, William Thomas and William Evans, in the late nineteenth century. At the time there was a lot of heavy industry in South Wales, principally coal mining, steel production and heavy engineering. These jobs demanded considerable physical effort and the men used to sweat pints every shift. Many made up for this by drinking beer but there was a strong Temperence Movement at the time and after talking with an American, they set up a soft drinks factory with the original intention of selling the drinks to the pubs. This was not successful but then they hit on to idea of selling door to door, initially with horse drawn vehicles, and business boomed. Indeed South Wales at the time, boasted the biggest and the second-biggest soft drinks factories in the world. The third-biggest was in County Durham, another centre of coal production and Methodism.

By the 1980s everyone had a car and shopped at supermarkets and the business slowly faded away. Full details here for those who are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(soft_drink)

I can understand people worrying about the Corona Virus but at the moment you are more likely to die in a car accident. Keep smiling!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-13-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:57 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Every time I hear the word "Corona" it makes me smile.

Corona was a manufacturer of carbonated soft drinks and the Corona van was part of my childhood. The van, actually a flatbed lorry or truck, had a structure built onto the flatbed to enable wooden boxes to be stored at a slight angle, that way the boxes and the bottles would not tip out. I believe the van used to turn up on a Friday evening when all of the husbands had been paid and I can remember my mother buying us lemonade, ginger beer, orangeade, raspberryade and dandelion and burdock!

The business was originally set up by a couple of Welshmen, William Thomas and William Evans, in the late nineteenth century. At the time there was a lot of heavy industry in South Wales, principally coal mining, steel production and heavy engineering. These jobs demanded considerable physical effort and the men used to sweat pints every shift. Many made up for this by drinking beer but there was a strong Temperence Movement at the time and after talking with an American, they set up a soft drinks factory with the original intention of selling the drinks to the pubs. This was not successful but then they hit on to idea of selling door to door, initially with horse drawn vehicles, and business boomed. Indeed South Wales at the time, boasted the biggest and the second-biggest soft drinks factories in the world. The third-biggest was in County Durham, another centre of coal production and Methodism.

By the 1980s everyone had a car and shopped at supermarkets and the business slowly faded away. Full details here for those who are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(soft_drink)

I can understand people worrying about the Corona Virus but at the moment you are more likely to die in a car accident. Keep smiling!
The truck brings back memories, they were used in New York city in large numbers in the 1940's and 50's. One day about a mile or two from my home one of the trucks made too fast a turn and dumped the boxes on a very busy street most of the bottles were empty and being returned to the factory. my friends and I assisted in the cleanup and got paid by the driver but we relieved him of quite a few undamaged bottles because each had a return deposit of two to five cents and we had about three cases of them spirited away. Our little group had a profitable day selling the bottles at local stores.

This virus thing has us concerned and we will be careful too many people are unsanitary for sure, but death isn't my biggest concern it's getting dead that upsets me I do not want to lay around hacking and coughing my brains out until the grim reaper arrives.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Same here Donny!
Old 03-14-2020, 07:13 AM
acdii

I wont know until Monday, but it's possible that my wife was exposed to it. A guy at her workplace in another building had a fever and was coughing a lot, and was sent home and told to get tested. She should have results from that guys test on Monday. While he didn't go into the building she is in, he worked at their plastics plant, which makes containers for food items, supervisors that work there, visit the main building often and could potentially carry it through the plant. If it was determined that the guy has Covid19, then they may shut the plant down, and we will all be in self quarantine.

Stay inside and build planes. What more could I ask for? Oh, yeah, money. Would suck to burn up 80 hours PTO.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:04 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

In France, as I understand it, they have closed down all of the schools, colleges and universities as a result of the virus. The FFAM, the equivalent of the AMA in the USA or the BMFA in England and Wales, has suggesed that at club fields, no more than ten people should gather together. If an eleventh were to turn up I suppose that the first to arrive should leave! They have also prohibited all indoor meetings and fly-ins. Hell, they may even ban La Coupe Des Barons!

In Belgium all of the cafes and relstaurants have been forced to close for the time being. All of the professional football (soccer) matches have been postponed in the UK. Either the authorities are being very careful or they're panicking!

Stay safe.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-14-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM
acdii

What makes this one different than the N1H1 and Ebola is that it spreads extremely fast, BUT, the number of people that it affects is small, and of a smaller group, those with immune issues are more likely to succumb to it, and this latter part is what they are trying to avoid.

However, the genie is already out of the bottle, the horse is out of the barn and the train has left the station. Right now, just need to ride it out and make sure to stay healthy to avoid getting sick from it.

On a different note, gathering information for short kits I am making. If you were to purchase one, how do you want the parts, flat in the sheet taped together, or bundled up in a bag, securely of course to prevent damage? The latter saves on shipping, but the flat sheets give you a bit of spare material, though not a lot with how I optimize the most per sheet.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:32 PM
FlyerInOKC

From my previous experience in having received short kits both ways. I find having them still in the sheet gives them better protection in shipping. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:56 PM
acdii

Seventeen pounds of wood right here. Would need a 7 x 13 x 25 box to ship it in.

The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (03-16-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM
FlyerInOKC

Great job on the cutting!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:03 PM
acdii

Now to check fit all the pieces and adjust where needed. Then try to maximize material use on the balsa to cut down on waste. I also need to find out if I can tighten the beam on the laser for a finer cut. The slots are within 1/32" of actual due to the beam width. I found a little bit of slop in the slots, and where the plywood interlocks with the plywood slots, the Lite Ply is 3mm, the slots are sized for 1/4 and 1/8, so there is a slight gap. Overall though the parts are all lining up with the plans.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Great job on the cutting!
I agree with that!

Sunday 15th March has dawned cold, bright and frosty in central France. Scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, a little fettling of the SNJ-4 then I'm going flying!

Flair Harvard powered by an OS 61FS. I have to admit that I bought this model, I didn't build it but don't tell any of my French colleagues!

Flying the SNJ-4. 14th March 2020. Engine slow speed running needs adjustment.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-14-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:42 AM
acdii

Look at all that GREEN!! I look out and see brown and white. We had a dusting of snow yesterday. Supposed to hit 39 (thats 3.8889 for you metric dudes) today. I'll be in my shop assembling the Corsair parts for fit.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ok the first picture was taken on 19th November last year but the second one was taken yesterday. I went out to the flying field today, French style at 14.00, after lunch. By then the wind was too strong for teaching novices and I didn't bother flying for my own pleasure.

I think I've got the throttle stop too far advanced on the OS's carburetter so it's spinner, prop and cowling off in order to investigate matters
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
What makes this one different than the N1H1 and Ebola is that it spreads extremely fast, BUT, the number of people that it affects is small, and of a smaller group, those with immune issues are more likely to succumb to it, and this latter part is what they are trying to avoid.

However, the genie is already out of the bottle, the horse is out of the barn and the train has left the station. Right now, just need to ride it out and make sure to stay healthy to avoid getting sick from it.

On a different note, gathering information for short kits I am making. If you were to purchase one, how do you want the parts, flat in the sheet taped together, or bundled up in a bag, securely of course to prevent damage? The latter saves on shipping, but the flat sheets give you a bit of spare material, though not a lot with how I optimize the most per sheet.
HI, There is guy here in Wichita Falls TX that makes short kits. He has a huge industrial laser Cutter/engraver and he calls his kits parts packs. You get the ribs fuse side and tail feathers in these packs. He doesn't supply plans or things such as leading and trailing edges wing spars or wing tips. He wraps all the balsa cut outs in plastic wrap and ships it in boxes to his customers.
Michael Johnston
The following users liked this post:
acdii (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 AM
acdii

On marketing it, I found that if I sell as repair kits, it should work around any copyrights since I'm not marketing it as a whole kit. Repair kit bundle, wing, fuse and tail parts that work for the Top Flite giant scale or other similar sized planes.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

OK get ready for a new take on an old scam! Some guy calling himself Winston11 (Winston Chu from Hong Kong) is using RCU Private Messaging to send out a fraudulent investment scam based on the old Nigerian Prince scam that has been around 20 years. I can't believe people still fall for it. The guy is a joke!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:57 AM
acdii

So, you don't have a special bank account with $1 in it for that special occasion that it just might NOT be fake? LOL
Old 03-16-2020, 04:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
So, you don't have a special bank account with $1 in it for that special occasion that it just might NOT be fake? LOL
I am still waiting for that $4.5 million from a Nigerian princess whose husband passed away and she can't find anyone else to give it too.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I am still waiting for that $4.5 million from a Nigerian princess whose husband passed away and she can't find anyone else to give it too.
You would just blow the wad on airplanes any way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.