Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-17-2020, 03:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Report from the French Corona Virus Front Lines.

The French Government has imposed severe restrictions to prevent the spread of the virus. All educational institutions are closed as are all shops except those selling food, medicines or newspapers (and tabacco!)

I take two tablets every day, one in the morning against excess blood pressure and another every evening to combat cholesterol. I am down to my last few pills and rather than bother my doctor for a prescription , I'm sure she's very busy at the moment, I went into the chemist to see whether they would sell me my pills without a prescription given the current situation. There were three or four people standing outside the chemist each with a space of 1.5 to 2 metres (4-7 feet) between them. When I got into the pharmacy all of the staff were wearing masks and pharmaceutical gloves.I managed to get my medication alright then went to the bakers. It was now 10.00 but most of the bread was already sold. It didn't matter to me because I never buy white bread so I managed to get a couple of brown loaves before I went for a little stroll to see which shops were still trading.

The restaurants, cafés and bars were all shut. The barber was closed until 15th April which is a pity for I'm in dire need of a haircut. The furniture store is closed until the government allows them to open again and the florist was closed until further notice but could take orders over the telphone. Then I went to the supermarket to buy a few bits and pieces.

The car park was almost full and there was a sign by the entrance restricting people to one shopping trolley per person. Sure enough all of the toilet rolls were sold which confuses me because I thought that the virus attacked the lungs not the anus, but apparently people use the toilet paper to sneeze into. Similarly there was no rice and only limited amounts of pasta. I managed to get a box of paper handkerchiefs, some tea, marmalade and seeds for the garden. Nothing like getting the essentials in! It took me 45 minutes to get served, people were halfway down the aisles with their shopping trolleys. I then checked to see that the garden machinery business was still open which it was. I need to cut the grass and get them to service my motor mower before the Spring.

I am aware of a very slight sore throat which is said to be an indication of the onset of the illnes. This is rather annoying as I had the flu followed by a throat infection in February. Otherwise I'm not feeling too bad. I'm going to get changed out of my "town clothes" and into working clothes and get going on the vegetable patch. If I have to self-isolate I can carry on with building the Big Guff, I got the port wing framed up yesterday and I can get the rest of my squadron serviceable.

Fortunately I have good stocks of rice, pasta, dried beans, frozen meat, tinned (canned) food, potatoes and onions, so I'm not going to starve. Grew the last two myself!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-17-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts

But do you have enough wine & beer? you can't forget the necessities!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
But do you have enough wine & beer? you can't forget the necessities!
I drank the last of the English beer last night but the cellar is well stocked with wine!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

You have my sympathies, but in times like this you must continue to soldier on.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

We make fun of all of this but suddenly the situation has become much more serious. The French government has issued a form which we are all supposed to carry whenever we go out of the house and government agents like the police or gendarmerie have the power to stop anyone and ask them why they are not at home. This makes me think that either this virus is much more serious than I previously thought or they're panicking! I'm taking even money on both! They are obviously trying to restrict movement as much as possible to contain the spread of the virus but the powers seem to be somewhat draconian for a Western democracy. There are five boxes on the form which you could tick which are sufficient reason for you to be out. You could be fined up to 350€ if you breach any of the conditions.

The first box is for people who have to go to a specific place in order to work, hence the garden machinery place being open. The second is to go shopping to buy essential food items. The third allows you to visit the doctor, hospital or chemist. The fourth allows you to go out on essential family matters or to assist vulnerable people or children and the last one allows us to take a brief stroll near the house or to look after farm animals, but sporting activity is banned!

As I understand it, in England, they've closed the pubs but are keeping schools open! I ask you!

I didn't vote for the idiot!

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think we should take America's idiot and the British idiot and put them in quarantine together, preferably somewhere without cell phone reception or internet, until their terms expire and then deport them to a desert island!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I think we should take America's idiot and the British idiot and put them in quarantine together, preferably somewhere without cell phone reception or internet, until their terms expire and then deport them to a desert island!
I'm sure they'd get on very well together!

Now I must stop wasting time on the internet, get some lunch and get out in the garden. It's a lovely day here.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Have fun!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:36 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There isn't an island big enough for all the american idiots. that is like 7/8's of house, congress, etc.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

I didn't say they had to be comfortable, standing room only works for me. Preferably an island with a large number of hungry sharks circling it.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 AM
acdii

Then Bernie and AOC can play paddycake all they want. LOL Find one with a few hungry tigers too.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Then Bernie and AOC can play paddycake all they want. LOL Find one with a few hungry tigers too.
I think you can appreciate this one. It cracked me up!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:17 AM
acdii

LOL I love it!!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

There is one silver lining if Bernie or Joe get elected at their age a one term president is likely.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Interesting, we are now under worldwide martial law.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

What makes you say that?
I saw something that deflates the idea summer would slow the virus:
"More than 100 cases have been confirmed in Singapore, where it's hot and muggy pretty much year round. Australia, Brazil and Argentina, all currently in the middle of summer, have also reported dozens of cases."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/asia/..._blogfooterold
Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 AM
acdii

What makes you say that?
I saw something that deflates the idea summer would slow the virus:
"More than 100 cases have been confirmed in Singapore, where it's hot and muggy pretty much year round. Australia, Brazil and Argentina, all currently in the middle of summer, have also reported dozens of cases."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/asia/..._blogfooterold

Yep. When I heard of the Hanks having it while in Down under, I thought, wait, it's summer there! We aren't at Martial law....yet. In any case, going to clean my guns tonight, Just In Case.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yep. When I heard of the Hanks having it while in Down under, I thought, wait, it's summer there! We aren't at Martial law....yet. In any case, going to clean my guns tonight, Just In Case.
Is someone going to steal your toilet paper acdii?
Old 03-17-2020, 08:46 AM
acdii

Yah Never know!

Actually I live out in the country, nearest neighbor is 600' away, it could be 20 minutes for county to show after calling 911, so you can never be too safe. May swing by the local shop and grab another 100 rounds of 9mil. If it comes down to Martial Law, you just never know. I have 3 women to protect.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Last year, as you may already know, I won the on-going affection of a lady who has become known as Miss Blue Eyes in these pages. Her daughter has multiple sclerosis so MBE sold her house in France and moved back to England to support her. She came over from England last week to celebrate my seventy-second birthday and one morning while I was sat at the PC she asked me, "If I were a model aeroplane, what would I be?"

Immediately I replied, "A Keil Kraft Super Sixty, a fine looking British Classic which is easy to live with!" When I showed her what a Super Sixty looked like her (blue) eyes lit up and rather foolishly I suggested that we could build one together. She replied that she would like to build the model with me provided it was finished in pink and purple!

As a result of this conversation I have two questions for you gentlemen.

1. If your wife, girlfriend, lover or partner were a model aeroplane, what would she be?

2. If you had to finish a Super Sixty in pink and purple how would you go about it?

Pictures of the lady concerned with Bertie, my entry for La Coupe Des Barons last year and Your Humble Servant, and my old Super Sixty before I flew across the disc of the sun and became disorientated.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:11 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

My wife would be a SIG Kadet LT-40 in it for the long haul!

As for the Super 60 I would go with the traditional scheme with pink as the base colour with purple as the accent colour. I might also add an leading edge of purple to the vertical stabilizer.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:50 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Cleaning your gun and getting extra bullets won't help Hanks and his wife. anyway what makes you so sure you will get to use it? I feel the do nothing head up the a-- of the orange fool majority of the senate needs removal.

telemaster
(ans. 1) If my other half were a plane she would be flown, (ans. 2) by the plans covered with Monokote or the like.

I do not (as best I know do not have this virus stuff) but it can't be much worse than the sinus draining cough producing stuff I do have. I used my Neti pot to rinse my nasal passages and it helped a lot.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:09 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman

I do not (as best I know do not have this virus stuff) but it can't be much worse than the sinus draining cough producing stuff I do have. I used my Neti pot to rinse my nasal passages and it helped a lot.
Any chance it would work if ya ran out of toilet paper?
Old 03-18-2020, 07:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Texas is like Oklahoma if you don't have allergies when you move to the state you will afterwards. I remember the first time I flew to San Jose, California for work. I could not believe how different the air smelled with all the Eucalyptus trees. I never breathed so easy and my sinuses were unbelievably clear. With my lung issues it would be tempting to move there but its way to expensive live. I would miss Oklahoma any way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.