Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-18-2020, 07:46 AM
  #7876  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Propworn
Any chance it would work if ya ran out of toilet paper?
It is obvious to me you never used a Neti pot. and if you have, what are you doing with it? but yes! just wash your hands well.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 AM
  #7877  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

I was reading something on the BBC website and they mention some countries, one being India, don't use toilet paper but have a special water pot in the bathroom to clean up with. They made it sound like TP was an American invention. I think I'll stick with my Charmin Extra soft.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:37 AM
  #7878  
ETpilot
 
ETpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,203
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

A friend several months back mentioned the use of a Bidet. So I installed one in the Florida house. Worked so well I got one in Texas too. Not exactly India. We do use a minor amount of TP to dry up. Be a long time before we run out of TP.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:40 AM
  #7879  
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)
 
Propworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,484
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I was reading something on the BBC website and they mention some countries, one being India, don't use toilet paper but have a special water pot in the bathroom to clean up with. They made it sound like TP was an American invention. I think I'll stick with my Charmin Extra soft.
How about those miss matched socks. Or old Tshirts. Or ask a vet what they did when they didn't have TP handy.

Dennis
Old 03-18-2020, 01:01 PM
  #7880  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Nah, just use your hands, Have to wash them afterwards anyways. Who will know?
Old 03-18-2020, 01:52 PM
  #7881  
ETpilot
 
ETpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,203
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Made my last trip to town. Got some farm diesel fuel and wonít be back for a long while. Hunkering down, see how this pandemic goes. When you run out of bread, just bake your own. Good way to go.





The following 2 users liked this post by ETpilot:
GallopingGhostler (03-18-2020), Telemaster Sales UK (03-18-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 12:01 AM
  #7882  
GallopingGhostler
 
GallopingGhostler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 2,324
Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I was reading something on the BBC website and they mention some countries, one being India, don't use toilet paper but have a special water pot in the bathroom to clean up with.
In Philippines it is called a "tabo". I gather that much of the third world doesn't rely on first world paper products except where absolutely required, like in business.

BTW, found this recent article of interest on how to handle the Coronavirus Covid19 situation.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/james-phillips-americans-must-take-responsibility-on-coronavirus
Originally Posted by emergency room physician professor Dr. James Phillips
"The only proven behavior to ensure you donít get it is to act as though you and everyone else could be carrying it," he continued. "If we do so, we dramatically reduce the risk of interpersonal transmission. That means distancing and schools across the country will be closed, and you should not expect them to reopen before next year. Take care of yourself and your less fortunate neighbors. Do not panic, do not hoard, and plan for new routines at home for your children -- they thrive on routine."

He added: "Most of all: be prepared, not scared."
Old 03-19-2020, 12:13 AM
  #7883  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,141
Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Schools not to reopen before next year?

My this is serious.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:10 AM
  #7884  
ETpilot
 
ETpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,203
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

So last night I was in bed watching TV when I got a text from a friend saying ď I think you had the virus when you got sick with that coldĒ. I replied ď funny that you mention it. I have been thinking the same thing all dayĒ. That prompted me to go back through my messages to see when it started. It was January 21st. I had texted this friend that ďI had a headache, a fever and not feeling very good. Think Iím coming down with a coldĒ.

The next day the coughing started. Getting progressively worse as the day went on. By the following day it was a constant cough. That night was the worse. Constant cough, difficulty trying to sleep. I finally did get to sleep. By morning I had coughed so much during the night, my stomach muscles just below the rib cage hurt something terrible. Slight pain not coughing but very painful when coughing. Now my plan was to try not to cough. Not easy to do. Not take any deep breaths. See if I can give it time to heal. The day after that I still had a persistent cough but felt it was getting a little better. Figured time will heal it. I stayed indoors for 8 days. By then I felt better but the coughing persisted. I felt I could go out and do things around the house but not go to town nor make contact with anyone. Doing so I slowly started feeling better but took weeks before the cough finally went away.

By that time the news coverage of CoronaVirus increased. As they started mentioning symptoms I started identifying with my symptoms. So very close. Headache, fever, constant cough but I had no difficulty breathing and no significant body aches. Symptoms are so close between flu and virus. I never felt I had to see a doctor. Symptoms came on fast. I self medicated. If it was the virus I donít know where or how I got it. Cases in the area are now being reported. I donít think I passed this on to anyone I know. Iíll never know. Iím pretty healthy for my age. It was a strange case that happened fast and worse than I've ever experienced and I donít want another bout.

On the plus side, last year I pulled a muscle in my right leg. It was very painful and I started using crutches. Then I bought a cane to be mobile. One day I left the house without the cane. I had to buy another one just to get around. It wasnít a knee problem as many suggested but a muscle problem. The days I spent inside the house with little activity helped heal my leg problem. Iím back to normal but still treat my right leg gently.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:27 AM
  #7885  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

Funny how things like that work out.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:48 AM
  #7886  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,141
Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Port wing of the Big Guff under construction. The wing tips are a bit of a challenge as they slope upwards from the building board. The last four ribs are different from all of the others and though the kit manufacturer supplies the last two, the next two ribs have to be altered by the builder to accommodate the 1/8" (3mm) sheet wing tips. Considerable cutting, filling, filing and generally making good is required and there's still a bit more to do. Fortunately most of this will be covered by the sheeting. I have decided to use 1/32" (0.8mm) balsa for the wing sheeting despite cogent arguments recommending 1/16" simply because I have already bought and paid for the 1/32" sheet and if I were to use 1/16" balsa I do not know what I would do with the 1/32" sheet. I plan to add fine fibre glass sheet to the top of the centre sheeting to support the balsa under the elastic bands. I suppose that I could also reinforce the balsa with 1/16" sheet underneath the top sheeting.

I have started to get some of the symptoms of this Corona Virus. I'm attacking it with an indifferent rosť as I type this. If alcohol on your hands wards off the virus, then alcohol inside will do no harm. All this is very annoying because I had proper man-flu in February when I was in England. I must be getting soft in these warm southern climes! I was thinking of going into town to buy some supplies tomorrow from the open market but I'll probably give it a miss. I've got enough food in stock to survive for at least a week. We eat too much in The West anyway.



Port Wing Under Construction. Note the smart new blue matching modelling pins.



Old 03-19-2020, 04:49 AM
  #7887  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

I hope you didn't give it to Miss Blue Eyes!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:02 AM
  #7888  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,141
Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Doubt it, she's been gone a week. I'll find out tonight. Her daughter-in law and two of her grandchildren are suffering and her son is running himself ragged looking after them. He has been told to work from home as has Miss Blue Eyes' son-in-law.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:25 AM
  #7889  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

The NYT got their hands on a government report saying they expect this to go on for 18 months and for everyone who can be infected will get infected.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 AM
  #7890  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,141
Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

We all do this don't we?

Just for a laugh I weighed the model. It is of course without wing sheeting or covering, servos, switch, receiver, battery, undercarriage or wheels. The weight came out at 5lbs 6oz or 2.44kilogrammes. Mind you my genuine Dubro wheels weigh over a pound. Perhaps I'll fit something lighter at least for the first few flights




The following users liked this post:
GallopingGhostler (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 AM
  #7891  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

Check the balance before you swap wheels you might need the weight.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:03 AM
  #7892  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ETpilot
So last night I was in bed watching TV when I got a text from a friend saying ď I think you had the virus when you got sick with that coldĒ. I replied ď funny that you mention it. I have been thinking the same thing all dayĒ. That prompted me to go back through my messages to see when it started. It was January 21st. I had texted this friend that ďI had a headache, a fever and not feeling very good. Think Iím coming down with a coldĒ.

The next day the coughing started. Getting progressively worse as the day went on. By the following day it was a constant cough. That night was the worse. Constant cough, difficulty trying to sleep. I finally did get to sleep. By morning I had coughed so much during the night, my stomach muscles just below the rib cage hurt something terrible. Slight pain not coughing but very painful when coughing. Now my plan was to try not to cough. Not easy to do. Not take any deep breaths. See if I can give it time to heal. The day after that I still had a persistent cough but felt it was getting a little better. Figured time will heal it. I stayed indoors for 8 days. By then I felt better but the coughing persisted. I felt I could go out and do things around the house but not go to town nor make contact with anyone. Doing so I slowly started feeling better but took weeks before the cough finally went away.

By that time the news coverage of CoronaVirus increased. As they started mentioning symptoms I started identifying with my symptoms. So very close. Headache, fever, constant cough but I had no difficulty breathing and no significant body aches. Symptoms are so close between flu and virus. I never felt I had to see a doctor. Symptoms came on fast. I self medicated. If it was the virus I donít know where or how I got it. Cases in the area are now being reported. I donít think I passed this on to anyone I know. Iíll never know. Iím pretty healthy for my age. It was a strange case that happened fast and worse than I've ever experienced and I donít want another bout.

On the plus side, last year I pulled a muscle in my right leg. It was very painful and I started using crutches. Then I bought a cane to be mobile. One day I left the house without the cane. I had to buy another one just to get around. It wasnít a knee problem as many suggested but a muscle problem. The days I spent inside the house with little activity helped heal my leg problem. Iím back to normal but still treat my right leg gently.

I don't have a fever but I do have the all the other stuff! I was up all night coughing and clearing my throat. I found great relief with the use of Neti pot sinus rinsing. currently, coughing is reduced quite a bit especially when I am active. If I get warm my sinus drainage go's wild causing me to cough. I am learning how to reduce my misery, I am fearful I will drown in my own body fluids.

be safe guys and don't take any chances this stuff is no fun.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:12 AM
  #7893  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,141
Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
I don't have a fever but I do have the all the other stuff! I was up all night coughing and clearing my throat. I found great relief with the use of Neti pot sinus rinsing. currently, coughing is reduced quite a bit especially when I am active. If I get warm my sinus drainage go's wild causing me to cough. I am learning how to reduce my misery, I am fearful I will drown in my own body fluids.

be safe guys and don't take any chances this stuff is no fun.
Wise words Donny. Get well soon.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:25 AM
  #7894  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Flyerinokc

I tried to dowload the plans of this spitfire for your viewing pleasure but it would not download. but it is available for free on the Outerzone or Aefofred
Old 03-20-2020, 02:16 AM
  #7895  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,141
Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Well whatever it was which made me feel under the weather it was not the Corona Virus! I'm only aware of blocked sinuses today.

Went in to Aigurande to the street market. There was hardly anybody there and everyone was standing at least four feet (1.5 metres) away from anybody else. I called into the supermarket as well. Spent 80€ on food but that did include a big box of strawberries, two punnets of raspberries, patť, fresh prawns and three bottles of white wine amongst other things! That should see me through for a further period of house arrest!

At the entrance to the supermarket there were two young gendarmes probably checking that everyone had his "Attestaion De Deplacement Obligatoire." They were talking to somebody and it looked as if they were about to leave but I flashed my attestation to them anyway. They weren't interested!

It's a gorgeous day here. I wore my lightweight suede jacket for the first time this year and I've opened all of the windows to air the house. I've turned off the central heating! Shame we can't go flying.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 AM
  #7896  
GallopingGhostler
 
GallopingGhostler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 2,324
Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I have started to get some of the symptoms of this Corona Virus. I'm attacking it with an indifferent rosť as I type this. If alcohol on your hands wards off the virus, then alcohol inside will do no harm. All this is very annoying because I had proper man-flu in February when I was in England.
Anything is possible. You could have Covid19, on the other hand there are so many virii abounding it could be another virus. What little mentioned in media is that at least here in US some 20,000 died last year from flu sans Covid19. Also from what I gather, those who so far have died from Covid19 are not children but those who have very weak immune systems among the elderly and some others. Even elderly have survived. 80,000 died of diabetes. There are a lot more things abounding that can kill us if we are not careful, and some that still can even if we are healthy.

Until they closed Planet Fitness gym a few days ago, I was working out 5 - 7 days a week, doing 1.5 to 2 hours for workouts. At 66, I may be considered a young pup, but I try to stay in shape. So far I have been able to avoid all medications even blood pressure and cholesterol except for prescribed nutritional supplements and those allergy related, like the anti-inflammatory nose drops. I've continued my own physical therapy after several months of medically supervised physical therapy on my bad knee, avoiding a knee replacement altogether.

The lesson? We need to take care of our bodies in the best way possible. If we are out of shape, now is the time to start working quietly and getting into shape. The very life one may save may be his very own.

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Nice vid. There is also a young lass and an older one too from UK who are excellent musicians that I recently discovered, enjoy their fine performances. The band in the first reminds me of Chicago.


Old 03-20-2020, 03:16 AM
  #7897  
ETpilot
 
ETpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,203
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Ah! Strawberries! I had a box of delicious strawberries in the fridge. While stocking supplies for this pandemic they got pushed to the back and forgotten. I found them the other day and were rotten. I managed to eat just one.

My last trip to town was Wednesday. Traffic was super light and activity in town was 50% of normal. We are not on total lockdown but starting today Texas shuts down dining in restaurants, drinking in bars, gyms closed, I believe all schools closed. Just hunkering down here. I have enough projects here to keep me busy. Watching the news is interfering with work.

I have a friend in the medical field in NYC. Protection supplies for medical teams are running low. Hospitals are getting increasing cases. Conditions not too good.

All stay safe.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 AM
  #7898  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

Our kids have volunteered to do our grocery shopping. Here in OKC we have confirmed cases of two children under the age of 4 both on life support with the virus. The odds of them surviving are looking low.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:51 AM
  #7899  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Then there are those who are to young and dumb to understand the impact this virus has, and go party on the beaches of Florida. They don't realize that is exactly what happened inItaly. They were told to go home, not go to work, so what did they do instead? Went out and partied, spread the virus amongst themselves, then brought it home to their elderly parent and grand parent who then got sick and died.

Speaking of amazing talent, and not bad looking either. Wait for the smile at the end.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:57 AM
  #7900  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,177
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

As my old flying buddy says : You can't fix stupid.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.