Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-22-2020, 05:34 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
The building process once learned was something that put a lot of smiles on my chops but I still can't touch what the the guy did in post 8095 even today.
Donny you have a lot of company in that last comment!

Mike
Old 04-22-2020, 08:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

Telemaster
I have been looking at that stick built fuse and think of how long it took me to learn how to put one together like that. Nice work. cutting one out was like major surgery for me, Literally! the use of double edge razor blades played havoc with my fingers, until like G.G. I learned to break them in halves and angles. Success came when my dad had the time to show me how to properly slice the wood instead of pushing the blade straight through.

The building process once learned was something that put a lot of smiles on my chops but I still can't touch what the the guy did in post 8095 even today.
I suppose we all learned using split razor blades, I know I did with that Keil Kraft Ajax when I was eleven, my first and to date only rubber powered model.

Has anyone seen that English lady's four enginned scale free flight rubber powered job or the New York maths professor who builds little vintage rubber powered models and flies them single channel in a New York park?
Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, you should see some of the FF rubberband jobs that shop in the AMA's monthly magazine in the March edition there was a Airco D.H. 4 you wouldn't believe! I was able to cut/paste a photo, see attached. By the way did Douglas ever get Albert Ball printed?

Mike

de Havalland Airco D.H. 4
Old 04-23-2020, 05:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
David, you should see some of the FF rubberband jobs that shop in the AMA's monthly magazine in the March edition there was a Airco D.H. 4 you wouldn't believe! I was able to cut/paste a photo, see attached. By the way did Douglas ever get Albert Ball printed?

Mike

de Havalland Airco D.H. 4
Yes but I didn't think that it looked much like Albert Ball!

Did you know that Albert Ball was shot down close to the northern French town of Annoeullin? A few years ago, they opened a new college in Annoeullin for local young people. The kids were asked to choose a name for the new college and were given five or six choices. They chose "College Albert Ball." https://albert-ball-annoeullin.enthdf.fr/ Furthermore, of all of the hundreds of thousands of British servicemen who died in the Great War in France or Belgium, Albert Ball is the only one who remains buried in a German cemetery.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-23-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

He was such a baby face only 20 years old! I'm sure the war aged him well beyond his years. I was wondering why Ball's body was never relocated then I saw he was left were he lays at the request of his father. Considering the name chosen for the college I'm sure his grave will be well attended to.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

His father also bought the field near Annoeullin where Ball's SE5 crashed and erected a monument to him there.

The British, French, German and American cemeteries on the Western Front are all very well cared for. In the German cemeteries there are usually four men buried under each cross. Two names on each arm of the cross and another two on the other side. There are also mass graves in the German cemeteries with the names listed on a bronze cover. Many are buried unknown of course.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

There names may not be know but they are still honored that is the way it should be.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:42 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This looked like a good place to do some memory recall.
who remembers the jum Walker gliders?
We had many of these when growing up. . For some reason just a good flight wasn’t good enough for me. It probably was the beginning of my hotrodding career.
back in these days we were about first or second graders. Every one had a few squirt guns. We all brought them to school to cause trouble. Standard proceedure in class was to stand for the pledge of allegiance. Then all boys had to walk to the front of the room to salute the flag. Then we had to turn around for i”inspection”. All boys with water spots on their pants had to put their squirt guns on the table. If we behaved well we would get them back at the end of class. I had a dress white shirt that I wore inside out this allowed me to carry my squirt gun in the pocket like the cops shoulder holsters. The squirt guns always leaked so even my white shirt would have the tell tale spot. The teach would say “officer Nelson” please place your weapons on the table”. I was caught. Sometimes she would ask why we has weapons in school. The best response was to say” I want to shoot the flys” oe bees. Trimming little Mary’s pig tails with a scissors was a pretty serious offense. Usually a trip to the office and a call home. Of course dad would have a fit when he got home.

after school was playing time. We all had JW gliders. The coolest one was the folding wing one we could send up pretty far with a big rubber band. Again there wasn’t a good enough so I used some of my allowance to get some real rubber bands . We got a stick and notched it out to hold the thicker rubber band. We found that just a little more weight worked better so we stuck a nail up front instead of the originator weight. I held the stick and the neighbor kid pulled the plane way back. Unfortunately the nail was sticking out a ways and when he let the plane go, the nail caught the top of my hand and ripped it wide open. This was the first big injury I ever had. I still have the scar from this one. Of course everyone ran screaming. I ran home and mom hustled me off to the doctor. Back then there weren’t the fast acting pain killers so it was a painfull Novocain shot in my hand. I don’t know whether I was mor scarred of the doctor or what dad would say when he got home from work. I got sewed up and went home with mom. Dad was not happy at all. My hot rod plane got put away but he did get me a new one. I think I was grounded for a day.
too. I think he said something about being careful with my hopped up slingshot too.the neighbor lady had peony flowers . They were a favorite target. A dead center hit with a marble was pretty spectacular. I had not done that yet. We all had RedRider BB guns so the gliders were great targets. bb’s and marbles were like rain in the neighborhood. Most of us had gun training in Boy Scouts so we were more careful with the BB guns. A little molasses and a card board box would keep us busy all day shooting flys. We used to go down to the creek with home made sail boats and shoot BB guns and slingshots at them. It was a few years before the older boys had us throwing firecrackers with the slingshots. It’s amazing more of us didn’t get hurt. Fights caused more injuries than hardware. The older kids sort of helped us play safer games. Shooting at someone was almost never done. Every one had pea shooters and pocket fulls of peas. You could run after the gliders firing peas at them. We could do that with the BB guns but the older kids prevented reckless shooting. An interesting thing was that you learned not to offend the older kids because they would pound you up.
Worse than anything that you got at home. They rarely got into trouble. I did calm down until I got old enough to get involved with cars and motor bikes.
Then racing and various vehicle events got me into trouble wa few times.

anyone else want to recall growing up?

The following users liked this post:
Flicker (04-29-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:03 PM
FlyerInOKC

You are assuming we have enough brain cells left to remember what we had for dinner on last Thursday.

Let's see what was it????
Old 04-23-2020, 02:30 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Humbolt Pie

*(only a Chicagoan knows what that is)*
Old 04-24-2020, 12:11 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

He was such a baby face only 20 years old! I'm sure the war aged him well beyond his years. I was wondering why Ball's body was never relocated then I saw he was left were he lays at the request of his father. Considering the name chosen for the college I'm sure his grave will be well attended to.
There is an organisation in Germany which looks after all of their WW1 cemeteries. The exception I believe, is the cemetery at Langemark. This cemetery contains inter alia the graves of members of the German 4th Division which was made up of university students. They advanced shoulder to shoulder at the First Battle Of Ypres in 1914 and were cut to ribbons by British rifle fire. The British infantryman of the day was trained to fire fifteen rounds a minute, a faster rate than that of any other army. An expert could get off thirty. I believe that the maintenance of that cemetery is paid for by the German equivalent of the National Union of Students.

A few years ago I got to know a Geman lady who lives about ten miles away from me. She told me that her grandfather had been killed in August 1917 on the Chemin des Dames. She had all of the details, name, date of birth, date and place of death and I put her in touch with the organisation. She phoned them up but there was no trace of him. The fate of hundreds of thousands at the time of course.

Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge (VDK): German war graves agency

Old 04-24-2020, 04:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

My wife's grandfather and his brother both served in WWI on the German side but both of them survived the war. Her grandfather was wounded but the only thing we know about his service is from a few old pictures. He never spoke of it.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:04 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bentwings
This looked like a good place to do some memory recall.
who remembers the jum Walker gliders?
We had many of these when growing up. . For some reason just a good flight wasn’t good enough for me. It probably was the beginning of my hotrodding career.
back in these days we were about first or second graders. Every one had a few squirt guns. We all brought them to school to cause trouble. Standard proceedure in class was to stand for the pledge of allegiance. Then all boys had to walk to the front of the room to salute the flag. Then we had to turn around for i”inspection”. All boys with water spots on their pants had to put their squirt guns on the table. If we behaved well we would get them back at the end of class. I had a dress white shirt that I wore inside out this allowed me to carry my squirt gun in the pocket like the cops shoulder holsters. The squirt guns always leaked so even my white shirt would have the tell tale spot. The teach would say “officer Nelson” please place your weapons on the table”. I was caught. Sometimes she would ask why we has weapons in school. The best response was to say” I want to shoot the flys” oe bees. Trimming little Mary’s pig tails with a scissors was a pretty serious offense. Usually a trip to the office and a call home. Of course dad would have a fit when he got home.

after school was playing time. We all had JW gliders. The coolest one was the folding wing one we could send up pretty far with a big rubber band. Again there wasn’t a good enough so I used some of my allowance to get some real rubber bands . We got a stick and notched it out to hold the thicker rubber band. We found that just a little more weight worked better so we stuck a nail up front instead of the originator weight. I held the stick and the neighbor kid pulled the plane way back. Unfortunately the nail was sticking out a ways and when he let the plane go, the nail caught the top of my hand and ripped it wide open. This was the first big injury I ever had. I still have the scar from this one. Of course everyone ran screaming. I ran home and mom hustled me off to the doctor. Back then there weren’t the fast acting pain killers so it was a painfull Novocain shot in my hand. I don’t know whether I was mor scarred of the doctor or what dad would say when he got home from work. I got sewed up and went home with mom. Dad was not happy at all. My hot rod plane got put away but he did get me a new one. I think I was grounded for a day.
too. I think he said something about being careful with my hopped up slingshot too.the neighbor lady had peony flowers . They were a favorite target. A dead center hit with a marble was pretty spectacular. I had not done that yet. We all had RedRider BB guns so the gliders were great targets. bb’s and marbles were like rain in the neighborhood. Most of us had gun training in Boy Scouts so we were more careful with the BB guns. A little molasses and a card board box would keep us busy all day shooting flys. We used to go down to the creek with home made sail boats and shoot BB guns and slingshots at them. It was a few years before the older boys had us throwing firecrackers with the slingshots. It’s amazing more of us didn’t get hurt. Fights caused more injuries than hardware. The older kids sort of helped us play safer games. Shooting at someone was almost never done. Every one had pea shooters and pocket fulls of peas. You could run after the gliders firing peas at them. We could do that with the BB guns but the older kids prevented reckless shooting. An interesting thing was that you learned not to offend the older kids because they would pound you up.
Worse than anything that you got at home. They rarely got into trouble. I did calm down until I got old enough to get involved with cars and motor bikes.
Then racing and various vehicle events got me into trouble wa few times.

anyone else want to recall growing up?
Hello Bentwings!

I hear you load and clear, This thread is loaded with many stories such as yours and most of us thrive on them. I have come to realize that most of us have more similarities than not and can relate to one another. even when we do not agree.
please stay with us and enjoy.
Donnyman
Old 04-25-2020, 05:38 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sometimes its almost uncanny the amount of stuff we have in common with each other, other than that of being 50 years or over. Bentwings post reads just like a well written story and give an insight of just how many things we might have in common without us knowing, so many thanks to him for sharing his experiences with us.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:27 AM
donnyman

That plane in post 8095 has me bugged, can anyone tell me what it is covered with? every now and then I will build a model like that but my covering job looks like a prune. no matter if the covering is applied wet or dry. maybe I am rushing?
I have been too proud to ask sometimes, and when I did the answers were too brief. so I'll ask again.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:13 PM
donnyman

Never mind guys

You tube provided me with the info I needed. The plane I mentioned in 8095 appears to be covered with doculum!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Never mind guys

You tube provided me with the info I needed. The plane I mentioned in 8095 appears to be covered with doculum!
Tissue over doculam is a popular way of finishing lightweight models these days.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:06 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I stalled my WOT 4 XL on landing from a height of 12 feet (3.5 metres) in 2018 and broke its back. I was going to buy a new one when I found out how much they cost! I changed the cooking Enya 120 FS for an old Laser 150 V Twin which I've owned for years but never fitted into a model. I paid strong money for the engine at an auction. There was a note with it saying that it had been overhauled at the factory. It certainly runs very well so I believe that it is in as new condition.

The tick over's a bit high but that's easily adjusted, I need to replace the elevator servo and there are still a few cosmetic jobs to do but otherwise she's ready to fly once the lock down is over.

For years I've been banging on about the virtues of Laser engines without ever having turned up at the patch with a model with one fitted. They won't believe their eyes when this!

Laser 150 V Twin

WOT 4 XL Restored

Laser V Twin running.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-28-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

The Laser engines have always had a good reputation but I have been a bit pricey You get what you pay for! David, do you have an experience with the RCV engines? I always wanted a RCV 91 SP for a Top Fite P-51D kit I have but they have hard to find and a bit out of the range of my pocketbook. I'm not sure if they still make them or the 120 SP.

Mike
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The Laser engines have always had a good reputation but I have been a bit pricey You get what you pay for! David, do you have an experience with the RCV engines? I always wanted a RCV 91 SP for a Top Fite P-51D kit I have but they have hard to find and a bit out of the range of my pocketbook. I'm not sure if they still make them or the 120 SP.

Mike
  1. Laser Engines are currently cheaper than OS engines at least here in Europe. For example the Laser 70 sells at £230 in Europe plus postage. £230 equates to 264€ or $286 US. If I wanted to buy an OS 72 here in France it would cost me 326€ which is $354 US or £315 Sterling.
  2. If anyone buys a Laser from outside Europe, that means you guys, they only pay £200 plus postage for a Laser 70. £200 is about $250 US. Single Cylinder Engines | Laser Engines
  3. As for RCV SP engines, I can't ever recall seeing an SP engine fitted to an airframe. They weren't very popular and apparently had a reputation for overheating. A friend had an RCV CD 90 engine in a Flair Puppeteer, a 1/6 stand-off scale Sopwith Pup. It flew it very well. I believe that at least one of the CD engines is being produced by Weston UK, perhaps they could produce the SP series too. They may be worth an email. https://www.westonuk.co.uk/Rcv/
Old 04-28-2020, 06:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't think the RCV R/C airplanes engines are in production anymore with the possible exception of the RCV 58 Weston carries. Weston does list spare parts but that could be limited to parts o nhand. There is still a RCV engine company but the smallest thing they offer is a single cylinder 35cc engine. The rest of the line up includes two 70cc twin cylinder engines and a 140 cc 4 cylinder engine. The engine specs all say "Designed as a UAV engine not modified from a hobby engine". The engines are all designed to run on Kerosene based fuels such as JP5, JP8, Jet A1 and gasoline. Its obvious they are after the commercial UAV and drone markets.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Got my grumpy old man plane going so I can hang out with you guys again

Hangar-9 60CC XCub

Old 04-28-2020, 11:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

And I see its in a visually challenged size too!

Old 04-29-2020, 12:58 PM
FlyerInOKC

Well the fun is never ending around here. My lung problems are kicking my tail I was dragging all weekend couldn't breath, no energy, chest hurt, back where your lungs are hurt, all in all life sucked. I called the doctor Monday and they changed all my lung medicines and put on a 2 week round of prednisone. My RN daughter in-law came by lsat night to check up on me and put me in the know. She told me I was a borderline case of Pneumonia and that was why the doctor put me on the prednisone which makes me bloat up. She and my son her husband the Paramedic started getting after me about calling the pulmonologist about getting tested and this morning his office sent me over for a drive in COVID-19 test. It seems us old folks can be oxygen deprived without symptoms, I was lucky my level was good. My son had already had one patient who went into full pulmonary failure and almost died on the trip to the hospital. He says if I'm number 2 he is going to revive me so he can kill me himself. Now they tells me I shouldn't leave the house for anything until a few days after I finish the two week round of prednisone because it affects the immune system and I will be a magnet for infection, etc. I have officially reached the point I have to listen to and act on my kid's advise. I guess it still beats a dirt nap. Now if I can get to the point I actually feel like working on an airplane and get the time to do it! Thanks for putting up with the rant fellas!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 04-29-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:33 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The Vid is no joke, do what they tell you too and don't be bull headed. My 79 YO mother gets bronchitis regularly, is diabetic and is one of those who can succumb to the Vid. She works at one of those Del Webby type places part time, and I am on her about it, but she takes the necessary precautions. My FIL though, and my wife and SIL and MIL I want to smack. He suffers from lack of oxygen has severe COPD and if he gets it it WILL kill him, yet they, the wife, sil and mil think nothing of going out all the time, and my sil works at a grocery store. My Wife works at a factory that is on reduced staffing, and following protocols to reduce spread.

However, I have been following the numbers and they aren't adding up to what WHO and CDC said they would be, and I am highly skeptical that the number of deaths are true, I honestly think they are padding the numbers because a lot of deaths are due to underlying health reasons, like yours, that increased the risks, though quite a few were already on limited time to begin with, the Vid just moved the time table up on them. When compared to the Flu, yes the Vid is more voracious than the Flu, it is really no more deadly, in fact last year Flu was near pandemic levels, yet, you didn't have the panic we do now. There was a video on YT with a few doctors in California who were going over the numbers and their experiences and came to the conclusion that it isn't what WHO and CDC said it was going to be, and YT pulled the video.

Going to be an interesting year or two until they get a Vaccine and Herd Immunity kicks in. Reality is, we will ALL get it at some point, just hope we are healthy enough to fight it off, so stay well everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.