Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Here in the US, the death numbers are being padded. If it quacks like a duck it is added to the covid death counts. CDC freely admitted they have added "possible" covid related to the count without any sort of confirmation that it actually was the cause. The official count is 2% of all deaths are confirmed, or possible Covid. In perspective, 24% of all deaths since February were heart attack deaths. In NYC they have confirmed 13.9% of all tested are confirmed, meaning 13.9% of the population of NYC is infected, bringing the actual death count down to 0.6%. The JAMA has done studies on this and they are finding consistency across the country that between 13 and 21% are already showing antibodies to Covid. If that is true, and say 20% are already infected, that means 65,200,000 is the true number of the spread here in the US.

When compared to the average flu season, those numbers are on par. The fact is, people have it, and don't know they have it because it is so mild that only those with underlying medical issues or advanced age are affected by it. Researchers have also indicated that those 18 and under do not spread it, their immune system prevents it from replicating to spread.

Germany did their safeguards different than other countries. They had the elderly group,. the one most susceptible to the virus stay isolated and had the working group, those 19-59 continue their daily routines. This is different than other countries that had everyone shut in. By letting the younger group, that is more resistant to the virus continue their daily routines, but keeping them away from the elderly, appears to have worked as can be shown by the very low death count. Germany was just under 59 deaths per million where Italy was 445 per million.

Here in the US the problem was that elderly people who contracted it were sent back to their nursing homes which further spread it, the majority of the deaths are coming from nursing homes where this happened.

Some states governors are abusing their powers though. As long as people follow cdc guidelines and wear a mask, they should be allowed to attend church, but some states are violating the First Amendment by closing down churches, and fining people who attend. Heir Lightfoot in Chicago, You must Comply. Uh, get off your highhorse. The power has gone to her head, same with the governor. Time to open things back up, like churches and businesses, but not gathering places like bars or events and reduced capacity in restaurants. People are getting fed up and those who are doing their own research are finding out that what the media and CDC are saying are false, that the real amount of spread is far greater and the danger is far less than reported. Initially the CDC said it had a 10% death rate. Well that is not true, and studies are now showing it is only 0.6%. The death rate for the Elderly is much higher, so continued isolation for the elderly is a must, but for the 15-59 crowd, we need to get back to business.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

You first statement is totally wrong! I don't know who your source is but they are either out right lying for their own personal gain or are making up their numbers. All reported deaths have shown positive to the same test every COVID-19 patient is receiving to diagnose the disease, period. You got to check your news sources and not just the ones within the United States. A lot of suspected deaths were never tested and will never be known because their isn't any way of detecting it with out exhuming the body. There are a lot of the websites that make huge profits out of made up conspiracy theories, alternative radical political messages, and racial purity subjects, all protected by the First Amendment! You add in the work North Korean, Chinese, and Russian Cyber Warfare units who feed some of these sites and other more mainstream sites. These guys have the government financial backing and the high power infrastructure and software to make their spiel believable and extremely hard to detect. It use to be you had newspapers, radio, and television networks and stations with real live reports using shoe leather, phone calls etc to search out records witnesses and the like so you could trust the sources a lot more. Now any idiot with an axe to grind living in basement somewhere can make stuff out of thin air to refute credible news and there is always a group that will swallow it hook line and sinker and still more who become suspicious despite what logic will tell them. Never take a single outlet's word for anything, research them, compare them, and look for where and from whom their money comes from, how much they are making and where it is going. Its a lot of work but its the only way you avoid being fooled.

As for masks a single ply mask is 15% effective a 2 ply mask is 30% effective provide you use the correct type of materiel. A simple scarf is less than 15% effective. It takes more than just a simple mask to stop the spread. The church down the street setup a portable tent with the pupal under it and everyone stayed in their cars and honk the horn and flash the lights to participate. Everyone stayed safe. Sitting in a pew is going to endanger and spread the virus. The church is the people, the body of Christ, NOT the building. They could wipe every church building on the face of the earth but the church would still exist and still worship. My best argument comes from Matthew 4 verse 7 New King James edition:
Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’ ”

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-04-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:01 AM
acdii

I don't base it on news reports, I base it on factual data which is freely available from the CDC website

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health...S9GZTEp8PhMjH4

Actual COVID19 deaths, 11,356
Deaths from Flu, Pnuemonia, or possible, but unconfirmed Covid19, 54,217

Doctors who may think covid19 was involved, but not tested to verify the patient actually had covid19 are being added to the totals. Someone coughs, while having a heart attack, OH he died from Covid!

Deaths with confirmed or presumed COVID-19, coded to ICD-10 code U07.1.
Deaths with confirmed or presumed COVID-19, Pneumonia, or Influenza, coded to ICD-10 codes U07.1 or J09-18.9.

I prefer factual over presumed. Did they, or did they not in fact HAVE the virus, or are they assuming that because they have flu like symptoms that it is the virus? When you compare flu statistics from past years with what the CDC has put forth, take away a percentage based on those years for the Flu, and you will see that the numbers that are being reported do not add up. It's not like the flu suddenly disappeared when this new virus arrived.

So from that chart, confirmed Covid19 cases, between 2-01-20 and 4-11-20 is only 11,356, the 54,217 cases are unconfirmed, possible, but untested, maybe they had the virus.

During the same time period each and every year, on average, 3000-3700 people die each week from Pneumonia. When comparing week to week 2019 to 2020, there is an increase of Pnuemonia and flu related deaths, so subtracting last years peak numbers from this years peak numbers, there is a 3500 count. These could possibly be the Covid related ones. Even with these, it still is not adding up to what is being reported as Covid deaths. Week to week direct comparison, 2019 week 5 though 16, there were 45324 pneumonia and flu deaths, 2020 weeks 5 through 16 there were 66,115 pneumonia and flu deaths. That is a difference of 20,791. So when you add this all up, what I really am seeing as Covid related is closer to 32,047 Covid deaths, not the reported 42,000 for the week of 4/20/20. Data past that date is incomplete yet to compare to what is currently being reported.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:15 PM
FlyerInOKC

OK Let's go with the more up to date facts and numbers:

Confirm COVID-19 deaths
Queens County, NY 4,035
Kings County, NY 4.014 (Think Brooklyn)
Bronx County, NY 2,886
Nassau County, NY 1,770 (Eastern part of Queens)
New York County, NY 1,752 (Think Manhattan)
Total Confirmed deaths 12,705
That is just one city for 2 months and I'm missing Staten Island which is Richmond County
The CVC reports the total deaths from Influenza AND Pneumonia (they always report these together) for the entire year of 2018 (Most recent year available) for the entire state of New York was 4,749 They came in second to California in total deaths). So COVID-19 killed 267.5% more people in one city in 1/6th in two months time than Influenza and Pneumonia killed in the entire state in a year. And that's not worse? As for the number of suspected but unconfirmed and untested deaths I would much rather used the too few limited number of tests available on the living than waste them on the already dead. They are beyond caring or help.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:53 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Whatever the ins and outs of it, to me it is obvious that this virus, Covid 19, is much more serious than anything that has preceeded it, otherwise 190 governements of a variety of political hues would not have enforced a lockdown. Secondly, it is also obvious to me that this virus has killed people who would still be alive but for the virus. I am prepared to concede that many died of underlying health conditions exacerbated by the virus so that they died with, rather than of Covid 19. They're just as dead.

In February I returned to my home town to attend the funeral of my cousin. I stayed for over a week and was invited to a party by a lady I know quite well but who is more of a friend of a friend. At the party I met her father for the first time.

He died of Covid 19 last month after fighting for his life for three weeks in intensive care. He had no underlying health conditions. He was 63 years old and prior to his illness he was still working full time.

It brings it home to you when you have met someone who has died of the virus.

Take care gentlemen and stay safe.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

What gets me is all the weird new symptoms that they keep discovering, like the rash on toes that looks like frostbite, etc.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:51 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

RCjet flyer

I have been bothered by what has been shown in your video all my life.

It is reported that Bob Violet passed away in March.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
RCjet flyer

I have been bothered by what has been shown in your video all my life.

It is reported that Bob Violet passed away in March.
Did you hear John Brodak died 4/25/2020? When he started his little mail order company everybody thought he was crazy but he has been doing real well with small electrics and supporting the control line fliers. I know my LHS bought a lot from him and I had stuff ordered thru them from him too.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:12 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have experienced three steps forward two steps back in the Big Guff build.

I initially installed a switch with a remote push off-pull on button on the end of a rod through the fuselage but then thought better of it. It was only a cheap switch with three sets of cables coming out of it, one for the rx battery, one for the receiver itself and the third as a charging lead. You know the type. I was concerned about what might happen if the switch were to fail. I had several new switches of of a superior quality so I removed the cheap one and fitted a better one. However, the switch wouldn't fit where the old one was installed so I fitted it inside the fuselage on one of the rails which used to support the Good brothers' receiver.

However, to switch on the receiver I now have to open the door! I was not happy with the existing door so I built a new one, reinforcing the joints with carbon fibre rod. The new door is a much better fit though it's still not perfect, woodwork never having been my strong suit. That said every model I've ever built has flown, some better than others I'll admit. The door still needs sanding, doping, painting and glazing.

I have connected up the rudder and elevator servos to their closed loop cables and pushrod respectively and I've fitted one of those new Spektrum AR410 receivers, the type with the internal antenna. Everything works.

I now just have to finish preparing the wings for covering and wait for the restrictions to be lifted so that my friend can come round with his welder to make up the undercarriage.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I like your switch and receiver setup, doors just seem to make for a better looking project.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 PM
qtix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I went to bed before midnight. I don't know what gives, have my time zone correct in my profile settings. I met a healthy 78 YO still riding a 2 wheeler Honda Goldwing on my way to the Golden Aspen motorcycle rally in Ruidoso, NM last September. He uses his spare time to help widows with repairs to their houses. By his age, many I know have had to give up motorcycles or ride 3 wheelers because their health won't let them ride 2 wheelers.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by qtix
I'm pretty sure I went to bed before midnight. I don't know what gives, have my time zone correct in my profile settings. I met a healthy 78 YO still riding a 2 wheeler Honda Goldwing on my way to the Golden Aspen motorcycle rally in Ruidoso, NM last September. He uses his spare time to help widows with repairs to their houses. By his age, many I know have had to give up motorcycles or ride 3 wheelers because their health won't let them ride 2 wheelers.
Wanna buy my Triumph? It's getting a bit too heavy for my seventy-two year old legs! Consider px Suzuki SV 650.

Talking of legs, I used to have lovely chunky hairy rugby-playing legs. Now they look as if they've been stolen from a supermodel!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

I feel our pain! My wife and kids won't let me wear shorts because of my bird legs! The silver lining of my change in medications and the heavy steroid the Pulmanologist put me on for Pneumonia my leg swelling has gone down in severity!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:10 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by qtix
That Goldwing rider's name may be Ron V.? 5 years ago I met a rider in his 70's still on a 2 wheeler, who was helping widows when I was at the Ruidoso rally.

Here in Clovis NM, sometimes my cellphone locks on to the Texas tower, other times the New Mexico tower. When on the Texas tower, time shown is 1 hour ahead (TX is in central zone). Since my fitness watch is linked to my cell (Bluetooth), it will sometimes reflect the TX time. Could you have been on the border to time zone?
Old 05-08-2020, 11:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

I thought you guys might like this video.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52593...-ww2-in-europe
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

My Big Guff. I just need to get my tame welder to make up an undercarriage and we're good to go! One metre long ruler lends scale to the model. It's not too bad if you don't look too closely!

Old 05-09-2020, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

Beautiful!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Beautiful!
Thank you Flyer. It's not that beautiful if you see it up close!

Not sure whether to give it a couple of coats of fuel proofer or not. The model is covered in Solartex which is fuel proof it but soon gets dirty and I've found in the past that soap and water does not clean it adequately. I'm running a Laser 70 using 15% oil content. As it stands the model weighs 7lbs 4 ozs (3301 grammes). With the DuBro wheels that will go up to 8lbs 8ozs (3864 grammes). I could fit lighter wheels but the Du Bros were a gift from Miss Blue Eyes for my birthday so they'll have to go on!

I am a concerned about adding weight but on the other hand the model must have a 9 or 10 foot wing area so it should be alright.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

How about filling the weave with a water based Poly like Minwax or a water based finishing resin like Deluxe Materials?
Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 AM
acdii

The Deluxe is fuel proof, the Minwax is not. It works fine for gas engines, but glow will soften it.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:08 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you probably can.t get this over there but I use ZIP WAX mixed with a bit of water in a spray bottle . I also use a product called " AWSOME " ( sp ? ) that you probably also can't get over there, but I had to try . They work well on Electric or Glow . Red
Old 05-10-2020, 01:46 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GUFF; Final Finish Coatings

Originally Posted by red head
I know you probably can.t get this over there but I use ZIP WAX mixed with a bit of water in a spray bottle . I also use a product called " AWSOME " ( sp ? ) that you probably also can't get over there, but I had to try . They work well on Electric or Glow . Red
Hi Dave;

Greetings to you from very warm Wickenburg, Arizona.

Your GUFF looks incredible, luv it. As a long time builder, [almost 70 years worth], into RC since '68, I would suggest a final finish technique of 2 light coats of thinned clear epoxy sprayed on. I used to use good old HobbyPoxy by Petit Paint Co., but it is no longer produced, [I still have a small stash of same], but now you could use a similar clear epoxy coating produced by Klass Kote Epoxy Coatings. They seem to be almost the same as the old HobbyPoxy paints. One thing though, before attempting to Final Coat GUFF, experiment on a dummy surface finished the way GUFF was, to make sure there is no strange, ruining interaction of the different paints. If OK, spray on a light thinned first coat, wait for at least 24 hours to let it cure/dry, then spray on a 2nd slightly heavier coat, again let dry/cure for 24 hours. Then you should have a beautiful high gloss finish that looks like glass, and fully fuel proof. But, as I said above, experiment first on a similar dummy subject. My method is a bit old-timey but works.

That is all I got this time. Any news on the '20 Coupe' meet, as I certainly enjoyed your '19 meet videos. Oh yes, our small western, frontier, rodeo town of Wickenburg, and surrounding rural area is virtually Covoid 19 free, as a lot of us older retired folks are remaining at home, like myself, my Wife Shirley, [also a French Miss Blue Eyes], leaves the house only for masked grocery/drugstore runs, and to drive me to my endless rounds of Docs' appointments; best to be safe/stay home and build/dream model airplanes. Will close for now, best regards to Everyone from a fellow Old Timer,

Joe Nagy.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

What are you flying these days Joe?
Old 05-11-2020, 01:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you for your advice Joe but I think I'll let the Solartex develop its own patina with use. I don't have spray equipment. I could always buy some but I'm trying to reduce the number of my possessions with a view to returning to England and spending the rest of my life with Miss Blue Eyes. She's not French but a Typical English Rose. She had to return home because her daughter has MS and a two-year old son to care for so there's nothing for it but for me to return to Blighty with its winds, its traffic, its high taxes and rain. Maybe I'll get a compressor when I'm installed in my final home.

Just at the moment the borders are closed so I can't even go there on a visit. Indeed until yesterday I could not even travel to the next village without an official French document in my pocket explaining why I wasn't at home. Draconian? Perhaps but it appears to have reduced the spread of this virus. From today we are allowed to go flying, provided that no more than ten people are on site, that we don't shake hands, that we maintain social distancing, that we sign a register on arrival and that we wear masks! Of course on the first day of the relaxation of the regulations it's blowing a gale and raining!

As for La Coupe Des Barons it's scheduled to take place on 13th June. I haven't heard anything official but the new restrictions will stay in place until 15th July and assemblies of more than ten people are banned. Last year our club took down six pilots and five supporters. If all eighty pilots turned up with supporters in the same ratio you would have nearly 150 people there, then there's the Contest Director, the caterers, the non-flying members of organising club and curious locals passing by, you could easily have 200 people on site. Maybe they'll postpone it but they won't be able to hold it any later than September or October at the absolute latest even that far south. I'll fire off an email later today to the organisers to find out what's happening. When I've got some other aeromodelling things sorted out I plan to fit a Thunder Tiger 54 to my entry. Picture of both of us at La Coupe last year. I tried to squeeze the last rpms put of my OS 48. That was a mistake but I did achieve my ambition of finishing in a higher position than in the previous year. I finished 53rd out of 65 in 2018 and 51st out of 75 last year!

Stay safe gentlemen. We are not out of the woods yet. This terrible virus has already claimed the life of a friend's father who was only 63 and prior to his illness had been in full time work. It is not just this year's version of the flu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.