Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 05-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Here's another one. They're not built much differently to the ones we make!

Old 05-31-2020, 05:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Very interesting!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:51 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Reminds me of my high school days. the stick build model construction is almost identical. but I do not remember the water shrink age being used on the fabric (old age)
The video's are most enjoyable, thanks! keep them coming.

Today I am feeling pretty good, I have returned to my blood pressure pills. not using them was a bad mistake. my blood pressure is dropping from a dangerous high, my dentist would not touch my mouth because my pressure was too high.
so I am resting and enjoying your videos while monitoring my blood pressure. I ain't the smartest cooky in the bowl.

be safe!
Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Nice to hear from you again Donny.

I've just come back from the flying field where I flew my WOT 4 XL with the old twin cylinder Laser engine. It flew beautifully, even though there was quite a wind blowing. The loops appeared to be perfectly round. The engine emitted quite a bit of smoke, I am running 15% oil but the smoke described the manoeuvres perfectly. Still one or two adjustments to make to the engine's slow running but generally very pleased.

If the weather's fine I should maiden the Big Guff next weekend.

Stay safe and keep well gentlemen.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-31-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:41 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Very nice looking model and I especially like the shape of the horiz. stab. Can't recall ever seeing one of those twin cylinder Laser engines before now and thanks for sharing. Nice to know that someone went flying today and all went well as my last time out flying about a week ago never ended well. Took my old GP Big Stik 60 with its CDI G20 out for a turn and on the first flight at approx. 30 ft after takeoff the engine quit. I kept the wings level and landed as best I could in the adjoining cane piece but the model still suffered some damage. The impact tore off the landing gear and dislodged the engine firewall, all of which were clean breaks...Öthe worst damage it has ever had in it's 27 years and countless enjoyable flights. Now she is all back together again and looking as good as new. Looking forward to taking her out again sometime this week.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:34 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Dorve to the field today to check it out, I haven't been there for a while, they removed a lot of trees, really opening it up. No one was there of course, so wasn't going to go back home and grab the trailer, I don't fly alone after what happened to a fellow member, so no flying, though would have been a great day for it.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 PM
NW Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what happened to a fellow member at your field - that causes you not to fly alone?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:56 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont like to fly alone as many years ago I was flying an airplane at this field when I some how stuck my fingers in the prop and had to go hospital and get it sewed up!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

A Prop strike does makes a good argument to always fly with a friend.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:16 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by NW Guy
So what happened to a fellow member at your field - that causes you not to fly alone?
The club President had his high wing plane on the run up stand and was standing behind it on the right side. When he throttled up the left wing picked up and went over the top of the holdback, spinning the plane around and the prop caught his right forearm, ripping it open from his hand to his elbow. Luckily for him two others were there to help stop the bleeding and get a call to 911. They flew in a Flight for Life helicopter to get him to the hospital. Thankfully they were able to restore 90% of the use of his hand, but has had skin graphs done to replace what was torn away, but they could only fix so much. He lost muscle mass in his forearm so he has valleys where you can see where the prop struck and left gouges.

I have 3 electrics I could fly without too much worry, but I enjoy the sound of the Saito too much. My electrics are well safetied, so I don't have a risk of cutting myself like what can happen starting a glow or gas engine.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Years ago we were testing the noise output of our engines. The club treasurer had a low wing sports aerobatic model called an Acro Wot fitted with a 61 two stroke, picture of my own specimen below. His was glassed and beautifully finished in a black and yellow scheme, the paint having been obtained from the local RAF helicopter pilot training unit. He had already flown his model when it was time to see how noisy it was. He started the engine and for some reason, instead of going behind the model to pick it up, he reached over from the front and picked it up one handed. The fuselage was of course quite oily and it slipped in his grasp with the engine going well. The propeller cut the inside of his forearm and there was blood everywhere.

Fortunately it was a beautiful day and there was quite a crowd at the field. We broke out the first aid box but he soon bled through the bandages. Fortunately the hospital was only a matter of three or four miles away and the bloke with the fastest car took him there with his arm held out of the window so that his blood had to travel uphill. I drove his car back to his home that evening.

Just think of what might have happened if he had been all alone.

Acro Wot OS 61 SF up.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-01-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Style. There is another reason?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Quick update on the Big Guff's progress.

The undercarriage was welded up, painted and the wheels attached but when I pushed the model across the workshop floor the wire broke. Obviously the heat of the welding process was too much for the wire and had weakened it considerably. A blessing in disguise really because the first undercarriage was too tall. I had used Walt Good's original measurements and that was for the raked-forward undercarriage. I obviously had to shorten the undercarriage to get rid of the broken section so now it looks much more like the post-war version. Andy is coming round later and we plan to silver solder it.

I rigged the Big Guff last night in the workshop with the wheels just pushed on to the axles and I checked it for centre of gravity, not an easy task in a confined space! The model is too tall off the ground to enable the use of my centre of gravity rig so I used the fingers under the wing method and if anything the model is slightly nose heavy. Once the soldering has been done then it's only a question of painting and fuel proofing the undercarriage, running up the engine and waiting for a calm day before that maiden flight.

There's not much chance of that happening here for several days because we are in for a few thunderstorms.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

The thunderstorms will give you an change to make new gear and get it painted.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:31 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't fly alone anymore for pretty much the same reasons as stated earlier. Went to the field alone as I so often did back then and in one of those real dumb ass moments I just reached right through the spinning 16" APS on a ASP 74 to remove the glow igniter and bam....blood everywhere. I wrapped my injured hand in the wipe down cloth on hand and luckily for me the flying site was just a few minutes away from the community Health Center who doctored up my right hand. Thank goodness the site was private and fairly well secured as when I returned everything was just as I had left them, but it was a real scary experience for me.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:44 AM
acdii

There was one time when I was alone and I had just started the engine and got it ready to fly. When I went to stand, my back gave out and I nearly landed face first on the plane. Thankfully I was able to throw myself off to the side and land next to the plane. Took about a minute before the spasm stopped and I was able to get up. It is that incident that reminds me why I don't fly alone anymore.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:12 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been working, mostly, alone since my move to Texas. So some jobs I have to do, I spend a good time thinking how to do it safely. So far Iíve worked safely. Iíve been surprised on a couple of jobs. So I think a lot before starting some projects.

Regarding airplanes I fly alone. My rule is once that engine starts I only approach it from behind the prop. I start from my engine starting stand. If the engine stops on the runway I made a tail hold down used for a restart. Or I take it back to the starting stand.

For my engine test stand I made an on board ignition system. Flip a lever on then Flip it off. Iím now thinking of adding such a system to the airplane. Switch on Switch off. Will give it a try on my SPAD and see how it may works.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:23 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the summer of 1982 I was flying alone and had just start this old Max 25 up in an C.G. Eaglet that was loaned to me as I had tore up my Sig Kadet that year. I picked up the airplane and was adjusting the high speed needle when I stuckmy thumb and index finger on my left hand into the prop. I didn't feel it at first and I stop the engine and then wrapped a paper towel around my two fingers loaded up and went home and had my mom take me to the emergency room where there sewed my fingers up and bandaged them for me. To this day I don't know how I did that and I don't like to fly alone now! Im very scared of a rotating prop even on Electrics which I have a strong dislike for!
Michael Johnston
Old 06-03-2020, 01:40 PM
acdii

#1 reason I avoid 2 strokes, that carb needle is too close to a rotating knife blade.

So I ordered a 100 count bag of 1/8" hinge pins from Robart since I some how screwed up and ordered 3/16" pins bonus pack. I am waiting on confirmation and shipment on them still, have it in Paypal but has not been charged to my card yet since it wasn't processed by Robart yet.

Well, walk out to my mailbox and there is this package from Robart. I think hmm, haven't seen anything yet, and thought, wow, didn't realize how big and heavy 100 pins weigh. Box weighs about 3 pounds. I go downstairs and open it up and it's not pins. What the hell man, No, instead of a $40 bag of pins its $120 air pumps. These are nice and all, but not what I ordered. https://robart.com/collections/pumps/products/164e

Quite confused and yes I did check my accounts and the only charge is for the pins and only paypal since it hasn't processed yet.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
#1 reason I avoid 2 strokes, that carb needle is too close to a rotating knife blade.

So I ordered a 100 count bag of 1/8" hinge pins from Robart since I some how screwed up and ordered 3/16" pins bonus pack. I am waiting on confirmation and shipment on them still, have it in Paypal but has not been charged to my card yet since it wasn't processed by Robart yet.

Well, walk out to my mailbox and there is this package from Robart. I think hmm, haven't seen anything yet, and thought, wow, didn't realize how big and heavy 100 pins weigh. Box weighs about 3 pounds. I go downstairs and open it up and it's not pins. What the hell man, No, instead of a $40 bag of pins its $120 air pumps. These are nice and all, but not what I ordered. https://robart.com/collections/pumps/products/164e

Quite confused and yes I did check my accounts and the only charge is for the pins and only paypal since it hasn't processed yet.
What did Robart say when you told them you got a box of air pumps instead of hinges? I wonder if someone is looking for a job now?
Old 06-04-2020, 01:50 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It was a good move putting that white coroplast cover on my starting bench. Tools and parts stand out. I bought some stainless steel screws and washers to screw the plastic to the bench.

This is my SPAD airplane in for an annual inspection. The plane had been in storage for a long time. I had the shop roof reshingled and there was tons of crud all over the plane. First thing up was a wash down and clean up. Then I tested the batteries. LIFE battery in the airplane was 6.72 volts. A123 battery pack in the starter was 19.65 volts. Amazing. Canít recall when I last charged these batteries. But it has been a while.

I thought my inspection would be just a look and see. But I found a few problems I need to address. The plane is basically glued with tie wraps for reinforcement. The aileron horns had come loose, reglued. A plastic plate for the wing hold down bolts had cracked in pieces. Have to make another one. The mini throttle servo had broken from its mounting and tie wrap. Never did like the mini servo. Iím going back to a full size servo. Pulling servo connectors from the receiver can be a pain. I made this tool to make it easy. Like pulling a tooth out of the stack.

Good thing to do this inspection. I wonít be flying any time soon. Have repairs to make. My SPAD is like a Timex. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

BTW, note that the engine needle valve on these late model OS engines have the needle at an angle. Keeps the hand and fingers well away from that prop.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

The Big Guff saga is nearly over!

The next job will be to weigh the model split down tho three seperate components as it's far too big to fit onto my kitchen scales. After that, a final cg check and an engine run up.

I was going to maiden the model next Wednesday 10th June 2020 but I've just had a look at the weather forecast and Sunday afternoon, 7th June looks possible.

Watch this space.

PS. I have just weighed the model. The fuselage with all of its equipment weighs 2441 grammes, the undercarriage and wheels 653 grammes and the wings 795 grammes giving a total of 3889 grammes or 3.889 kgs.

The Imperial equivalents are 86 ozs, 23 ozs and 28 ozs respectively giving a total weight of 137 ozs or 8.56 lbs. A little heavier than I would have liked but part of that is down to the very heavy Dubro wheels which can be replaced with lighter ones if necessary.

Given that the wing area approaches 10 square feet, the wing loading should be about 14 ozs per square foot so I'm not particularly bothered.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

The weather in central France has been unseasonably wet and windy over the last couple of weeks but tomorrow is forecast to be dry with light winds. I intend to maiden the Big Guff.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck David with the maiden of the Big Guff!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The weather in central France has been unseasonably wet and windy over the last couple of weeks but tomorrow is forecast to be dry with light winds. I intend to maiden the Big Guff.
Thats from everybody staying inside, no hot heads outside to sap all the moisture from the air! LOL Good luck with the maiden, take your time, don't rush and make sure you put all the screws in all the servos. I am hoping tomorrow I can get out to the field, supposed to be light winds and mild. I have things to do today and it is supposed to be above 12 MPH steady. 10-15 is OK as long as it is not a steady wind that knocks planes around. Today supposed to be a steady wind.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you gentlemen.

I decided to dodge the raindrops and run up the engine on the Big Guff this afternoon. All good.

Fun and games with the wheels this morning but the problem was solved with some brass sleeving. There is a one metre rule alongside the fuselage which gives you an idea of how big it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.