Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 06-06-2020, 10:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

She looks to be itching to take off!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:44 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

One Big Gust for the Big Guff and she Be Gone.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:07 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The weather in central France has been unseasonably wet and windy over the last couple of weeks but tomorrow is forecast to be dry with light winds. I intend to maiden the Big Guff.
Good luck with your planned maiden of the Big Guff which I hope will be a howling success.

Last edited by karolh; 06-06-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi David;

Your Guff looks simply beautiful; I am sure the Good Bros. would be proud of your efforts. Best of Luck on your maiden flight, plus subsequent ones, and do like acdii said, check everything, once, twice-3times to be sure! And Please, please film the fllights ala the Coupe films from last year; can't wait to see them, will close, best regards from Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:16 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

On the morning of the maiden flight, Sunday 7th June 2020, I made a change to the Laser 70ís slow running settings The previous day I had started the engine in the model, on my Best Mate stand. I thought that the engine was running a bit rich at low speed so I resorted to the old trick of finding a clean piece of fuel tubing and blowing into the tube while progressively closing the slow running needle until you could only just blow in to it and hear air escaping. Then I left things alone.

I arrived at the flying field at 2pm to find myself the only pilot there. I assembled the model and took it down to the runway and pushed it up and down the tarmac. I was dressed in brand new red overalls especially for the occasion! Roger Aubard, the clubís president turned up after five minutes with his camera. He saw my exertions on the runway and pronounced, ďAh ca va aller je pense!Ē (I think that will do!) A few minutes later, the clubís treasurer, Gerard van der Meulin turned up, another camera enthusiast. I expressed a concern about having the centre of gravity somewhat forward of the recommended position. The receiver battery was held in place with velcro on the fuselage floor but I had added more velcro further to the rear just in case a more rearward balance point was recommended. Having agreed that it would be better to move the receiver battery backwards, I took off the wings and repositioned the battery. This had the effect of bringing the centre of gravity closer to the 40% chord position as recommended in the instructions.

I had been told that modern Laser engines like to run on a fuel containing 5% nitro. I didnít have any but I had some 10% and I had some ďstraightĒ so I mixed the two into a large pink plastic bucket and poured the mixture back into their original containers which where then marked ď5%Ē with a permanent marker.

So there was now nothing left to do but to fuel up with the 5%, switch on the radio, fit the glow igniter and fire up the engine. To switch on the radio on my model you have to open the door! The Good brothers had their switch mounted in the nose.

The engine started ďin a quarter of a turnĒ as the French say. Turning a 13 x6 prop it gave plenty of power at full revs and at tick over it appeared to be running like the proverbial Swiss watch but much more slowly! By now there were several clubmates on site and one of them, Gilbert Kohler offered to carry my transmitter down to the runway while I carried the model.

I am not normally that nervous on maiden flights but I was on this occasion. I had to remind myself that I was an experienced r/c pilot, a qualified club-level instructor in two countries, an A Certificate holder in both England and France and Iím even qualified to fly at public events in France! There was no wind, the model was the straightest model Iíve ever built, so what was I worried about? I was imagining all sorts of unpleasant possibilities as I checked the controls one last time, peaked out the engine then stood aside as I advanced the throttle.

The model rolled off down the runway and suddenly deviated from my intended track but it was soon airborne, flying slowly straight into wind. I reduced power and turned with the wind. The model still climbed, I added down trim. Roger Aubard was at my side snapping away. Observing the model he advised more down trim. I had already decided that this was what I was going to do and I reduced power yet further.

In the end I got the model down to a lower level so that the camera enthusiasts could take their pictures and I proceeded to fly left hand circuits with the throttle only one or two clicks above the lowest position on the transmitter with the trim back as far as it would go. I decided to land the model which I achieved by lining the model up with the runway and moving the throttle fully back. The model landed to spontaneous applause from the assembled company. With the model on the ground I hit the kill switch but the engine continued to rotate. My slow running adjustment of the morning was obviously having its effect! I stood over the model and asked Gilbert to get me a rag from the van. I tossed it into the prop to stop the engine.

I made a second flight later that afternoon which was much the same as the first but I made sure that the model could turn to the right this time! I found that Iím using 36% down elevator trim and nothing at all on the rudder. The running off course on take off I put down to a combination of my being unfamiliar with the model and of using a propeller with too much pitch. I have a 13x4. Iíll see what difference that makes. On packing up I was amazed at how clean the model was despite running on 15% oil. The engine exhausts through a Heath Robinson extension pipe made up of two different thicknesses of silicone tube and an aluminium pipe. Surprisingly it all stayed together!

So Iíve got to adjust the kill switch and make a better job of mounting the receiver battery but generally Iím impressed by the model and Iím especially impressed by the engine.

Itís not a model for aerobatics though doubtless some enthusiasts would try that, neither is it a model for breezy days but itís forecast to be calm on Wednesday so Iím going to fly it again!

Pictures to follow. I regret Joe that what video footage was taken was not that impressive but for the moment you will have to accept this picture of one highly relieved aeromodeller posing with his model after the maiden flight. The video at La Coupe Des Barons was made by a professional.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:08 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Big Guff looks beautiful. Nice build. Maiden flights are always nervous affairs. Glad you got past the first flights. Now you can make adjustments for better flights in the future.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:17 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

congrats David!
The flight went as I suspected it would. the guff is a good natured free flight with massive wing area, though quite large not much power is needed to haul it around and free flights were designed to climb which was controlled with down thrust on the engine.

I had no doubt you would be successful your flying and building skills assured that.

Happy flying!
Old 06-08-2020, 04:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

A successful flight! David, no one here had any doubts, snappy looking matching red overalls too!

Mike
Old 06-08-2020, 05:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

On the advice of the laser factory I'm going to try a 16 x 4 prop on this model. Maybe a couple of washers under the engine might help too.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck! The Lasers have always been such good looking and well designed engines.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM
karolh

Heartiest congratulations David on a successful maiden flight. Reading your narrative reminded me that maiden flight nerves respects no one so well done. Hopefully your model and you will experience lots more enjoyable outings.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM
donnyman

David

Your model and successful maiden got my brain in gear. when the guff was designed it had to carry massive, batteries and heavy radios, while using engines that were heavy with little power (Comparatively) therefore they were quite large and slow moving modified free flight type.
The same model today with a engine of equal displacement would be quite over powered as much as 50%, and lighter. so a smaller engine would work well. in no way is aerobatics in it's repertoire or at best limited. especially with the huge flat airfoil that is designed to climb with any increase in airspeed.

I look at the older type models as clumpy gliders, that used much different aerodynamic setups than what is in use today. though when properly setup can be a lot of fun.

B.T.W. were did you get the graphics on your vert stab? ....Very neat!

The guff is a cool nostalgic model that would probably fly just fine with a modern 15-25 size engine on 5% nitro fuel.

Last edited by donnyman; 06-08-2020 at 08:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stikum (06-13-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:10 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Donny, she does weigh 8 lbs 9 ozs which is 9 ozs more than Walt Good's original equipped with a valve (tube) receiver and heavy batteries. On the other hand, Miss Blue Eyes' wheels weigh 1 lbs 4 ozs, the 70 fourstroke is probably heavier than a Brown Junior and the covering is Solartex which is much heavier than the tissue paper and dope finish that probably would have been used. I'm making this assumption on the basis that the replica in the AMA Museum in Muncie Indiana is covered in tissue paper.

I don't intend changing the engine just yet but I have a few unemployed smaller fourstrokes just looking for a job! I'm not sure about a modern 15-20 being able to fly the Big Guff but a 40 two-stroke would probably do it. It wouldn't sound as nice though!

I used to have a Radio Queen, a replica of the first model aeroplane to fly across the English Channel. It was great for training nervous novices. Wish I'd never sold it now! It's a little smaller than the Big Guff but still a substantial model. Initially I flew it on an OS 52FS then fitted an OS 48 FS. Even that was too powerful! I've seen one fly well on an Enya 40 FS.The picture below with the model and your humble servant was taken thirteen years ago. Dig the patriotic shorts!

As for the grahics on the fin Donny I had them made up at a copy shop in Gueret. They charged me 18€, that's £16 Sterling or $20.33 US! I have subsequently found a cheaper firm on line.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-08-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

A few pictures of yesterday afternoon's maiden flight taken by our club's treasurer Gerard van der Meulin.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:02 PM
donnyman

The Guff must be a fun flying bird, I made several assumptions based on info articles I've read and pictures I've seen, but I am surprised your bird weighs the same/more. and isn't overpowered.

It looks good. I hope you have years of pleasure with it.......................................... enjoy!

I was just speaking with a friend, we were thinking of putting in a runway. with over three hundred acres we can do just about anything we want "but" my body can't handle the load It is a strain to get on my little tractor. getting old sucks!
looking thru my motorhome yesterday I found a new NiMH battery pack which I am in need of ... I had forgotten all about it
Old 06-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

There is video footage but it's on our club's Facebook page.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:20 AM
acdii

Guess your club is a private group.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by acdii
Guess your club is a private group.
Unfortunately yes and I don't have the skill or knowledge to move the footage from the private group to a public arena like RCU.

I like this picture. Never realised I was a silver fox!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-09-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry couldn't get the link to work.

Miss Blue Eyes wants to have a framed copy of the picture above to show to friends and relatives. She said something about George Clooney having to watch this space. I don't know what she meant!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-10-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Some years ago I was given a DB Sport and Scale Auster. The fuselage, wing and tailplane were all built and covered in white Solartex and it only needed the fin, rudder and wing struts to be built. The donor had intended to power it with a Laser 70 but had then gone exclusively electric. That's alright, I have two of those, one new and the other second hand just waiting for a home. I bought the plan and the canopy glazing and trawled the internet looking for white Austers because I'm useless at painting models though strangely, I have worked as a house painter in the past when I couldn't find anything more remunerative, I even went on a course where I learned "distressing" or broken paint finishes.

I had decided on G-APSR, a converted crop duster...

... but then I saw this one and thought that it would be fun to try to reproduce it in this condition! Note the decidedly non-standard windscreen! Most of my models look like this after a couple of months anyway!

I only need to build the fin, rudder and struts, and fit the radio and engine so even I will probably be able to do that before the end of the year.

What could possibly go wrong?

PS. Note the blotches of red paint on the Australian Auster. Some kind of primer?
Old 06-13-2020, 04:30 AM
karolh

All great looking pictures Ö.thanks for sharing David.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:05 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

What could possibly go wrong?
Ooooooh! NEVER ask that question! Now you are guaranteed to find out!
Old 06-13-2020, 10:19 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Odd windshield on the latter Auster could be an A&P mechanic's replacement who lacked the fabrication equipment to heat and bend plexiglass? That windshield is reminiscient of the old 1930's Curtiss Robin, but would be easy to duplicate and with the photo you could show that it is also scale, Telemaster. It would be historic enough to qualify for Hollywood scale. (It looks historic enough on camera to suffice for the story.)

Nice recreation of the Big Guff BTW, brings back mental images of single channel escapement flying and stunting.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am in the process of finishing off the 1/5 scale Auster as shown in Post 8320 but I may chicken out and finish it as this one. It's nice and simple and I can get a vinyl cutter to make up the markings and registration letters. I won't be entering any competitions with it!

However, I am having some difficulty finding a 1/5 scale full length civilian pilot for the model. The seats are already installed. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for a good model pilot but I don't want one which looks like a doll!

Do any of you gentlemen know where such a pilot may be obtained?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:13 AM
acdii

https://www.iflytailies.com/store/pi...-scale-pilots/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.