Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-20-2020, 02:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your Humble Servant about to take off with the BE2e, also known as The Flying Barbeque within the club! Sunday 19th July 2020.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

She does smoke a bit doesn't she?
Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Warning New Virus affecting our age group!

New Virus: Even the most advanced programs from Norton or McAfee cannot take care of this one. It appears to mostly affect those of us who were born prior to 1960.

Symptoms:

1. Causes you to send the same e-mail twice..
2. Causes you to send a blank e-mail. .
3. Causes you to send e-mail to the wrong person. .
4. Causes you to send it back to the person who sent it to you. .
5. Causes you to forget to attach the attachment. .
6. Causes you to hit "SEND" before you've finished. .
7. Causes you to hit "DELETE" instead of "SEND"..

IT'S CALLED THE C-NILE VIRUS.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
She does smoke a bit doesn't she?
I think that the reason for the smoke is that the exhaust system is so long that the smoke cools on its journey to the end of the exhaust pipes and produces more oil droplets. If it were fitted with a standard exhaust you would not see so much smoke.

The engine is an OS 70 FL. The Big Guff is fitted with a Laser 70 with a standard exhaust and an exhaust extension. Running on a fuel with the same oil content, it doesn't seem to smoke as much.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Call the smoke a "scale" detail.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:58 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

If you go back to Post 8243 on 24th May, you'll be able to read of how I lost my Junior 60 which was my first successful r/c aircraft in 1988. At the time I had just given it to one of my trainees so it was technically no longer my property. We lost signal and the model proceeded to glide into a wheat field and despite the model being finished in orange overall, and despite several of my clubmates helping us to search for it, we couldn't find it.

Looks like the farmer found it in his combine harvester! Wing looks salvageable but I expect that my trainee will expect me to help him build a new fuselage and tailplane.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:51 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Everyone;
A way back when, probably early to mid '70s, still lived in southern Ontario, Canada my brother and I lost planes in a large cornfield bordering our club's field; tried our best to locate the ships, other club members' assisting, worked our butts off, but failed to find them. One of the club members happened to know a nearby farmer who flew full size planes, and had his own aircraft and private runway on his farm.....Ta-Dah! A small fee changed hands and my brother went up for an airplane ride, and spotted the lost planes rite away, mine orange and his white, and we soon rescued them, otherwise they would have gone lost. While I lived up there, this happened to several more club members, and they likewise located lost aircraft via that helpful flying farmer.

Joe Nagy.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:24 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an article in a recent issue of Model Aviation issue where some lost an airplane in a nearby field. The pilot spent hours on end going through that field and couldn't find his airplane. Then a drone flier did several flight around the field and he found the airplane not in the filed but on the back of a creek that went through the area.
Michael Johnston
Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Those drones do come in handy at times.

Anyone heard from Donny lately?
Old 07-27-2020, 01:56 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same kind of thing happened at my field years ago.
I had a midair with my World Mustang and a trainer, the trainer lost its engine and each fell into the field next to our runway.
I crash landed in the heli area after loosing most of my right wing, the trainer was retriivied but the engine could not be found until the farmer harvested the crop later that year.
The owner searched the field and found the engine, it looked like it was ingested by a machine of some kind and pooted out the other end, useless.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:43 AM
ETpilot

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in post #8327 I mentioned a mystery in the shop. Something was knocking over things on a shelf above the entry door. Never could find what it was and finally just forgot about it.

Yesterday I was finishing up work on my Jeep. I was installing the battery. I happened to glance at the shop doorway and I saw the tail end of a snake. It was thick, so larger than the ones I have encountered before. I ran to get my gun and a pick up tool. The snake had gone into a box canyon between a cabinet and the shop wall. One way out. I cleared the area for good access. I pondered how to get the snake out to relocate it. But the location was not good and I feared it would get away from me and go hide somewhere else. The snake had come from a shelving unit that I go to for supplies and tools. Good thing I havenít been bitten.

Sadly, I made the decision to shoot the snake. Once I shot it, it came out slowly and made strikes to bite. I took it outside and put it out of its misery. I took it to a back pasture where the critters will take care of it. I hope this is a one snake situation. I will be careful for a while.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Too bad you had to shoot it I'll bet he was cleaning out the rodents in your shop.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:36 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Better sleep with one eye open fer a while.
Set out some mouse traps to act as alarms.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:14 AM
otrcman

I'm not familiar with the snakes in your part of Texas, ET. Was that a poisonous variety or a harmless ?

I have harmless gopher snakes in my workshop occasionally. They're good about getting mice and gophers. But there's still that startle factor and adrenaline when you almost step on one. I figure the gopher snakes may be harmless, but sooner or later I'm gonna have a heart attack when one sneaks up on me.

Dick
Old 07-29-2020, 10:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

He is in East Texas so he has both kinds.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM
ETpilot

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This snake is the harmless type. Iíve relocated a few of them. If they get loose from you they are hard to catch. I donít have the right tools for catching snakes. This particular snake was quite large. While harmless it could give you a couple of bites that will ruin your day. Too many hiding places in a shop. So I needed it out. For mice Iíve had good luck with glue traps. The key is setting the trap along a wall. Mice like to follow the wall. Plus you need to weigh down the trap. Some mice can move a glue trap while stuck to it.

Venomous snakes I have water moccasins by the pond. I shoot then occasionally. Iíve had 1 copperhead come up to the house. Shot it dead. My dog alerted me to the snake. Iíve never seen a rattlesnake nor a coral snake around my place.

Other critters this year Iíve been stung 3 times by wasps in hand and arm and twice by yellow jackets, forehead above right eye and upper lip below the nose. That last one hurt. I always have to keep alert. I have coyotes, skunks and wild hogs that come around. And a Bobcat.

Iíve been in the foam RC world lately. Working on building a profile foamy airplane. I built another PC power supply. Working on a spot welder for making battery packs. Iím cutting foam for that first foamy build.

The spot welder is not going too good. Hit and miss at first. I thought it was the old lawn and garden battery. So while working on an electrical issue on my Jeep, I decided to try that battery. I found that the solenoid I was using is defective. It sticks on. So Iím at square one.

For the foam airplane Iíve been thinning the foam panels down to ĹĒ. I have a few 1/8Ē thin sheets. Then Iíll cut the airplane out. Iíll weigh the foam and decide if I want to reduce it to ⅜Ē. Itís been fun so far.

Texas heat is horrible. Worked a little bit in the firewood pile today. Canít wait for cooler weather.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 PM
donnyman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys!
I haven't been around because I did not have internet access, but I am ok now my access has been renewed just a couple hours ago. (expensive) and yes me and the misses have been trying to keep away from everything except I must let the repairs person in the house because my body won't let me do my own repairs. sore bones is killing me. (arthur itus) i am not sure but the pains show up at the wrong times and I have to be careful.

it is one in the morning gotta get some sleep, check with ya tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Nice to hear from you again Donny, some of us were starting to worry about you! I hope those pains soon go away.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:07 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Welcome back Donny; we all missed you and your colourful wit and discussions herein.

I got a shock last evening watching something on DISH-TV, Ch 193 I think, about giant giga manufacturing factories, one of which was the TESLA plants in Nevada, Texas and Califorinia; then the shocker: a huge plant in England producing the blades for the North Sea Wind Turbines generating energy. These wind tubine blades are each 246' long and take a week or so to manufacture, out of lots of fiberglass cloth, [acres of the stuff], huge swimming pools worth of epoxy resins, and acres and acres of BALSA WOOD in each blade, for light high strength stiffining; I guess the same reason we have been using it for so long in our little model airplane hobby. I knew the shipping industry was using a lot of balsa for liteweight pallets and such, and am now realizing why balsa is costing so much for our simple uses. OMG; Balsa has now gone Hi Tech, and is in High Demand and is going to cost us a lot more.....Damn.

Fortunantely for me, I have a good stash of Balsa, and lots'o'kits hidden away for my old age.......[Yeah! Like I don't know it, I'm in the midst of my Old Age, turning 76 a couple of weeks back, wid all da aches and pains, surgeries, Docs' visits, pills.....Damn again! You just cannot win.]

Will close, and stop complaining, and again, a big Welcome Back for Donny, best regards from Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Hi guys!
I haven't been around because I did not have internet access, but I am ok now my access has been renewed just a couple hours ago. (expensive) and yes me and the misses have been trying to keep away from everything except I must let the repairs person in the house because my body won't let me do my own repairs. sore bones is killing me. (arthur itus) i am not sure but the pains show up at the wrong times and I have to be careful.

it is one in the morning gotta get some sleep, check with ya tomorrow.
Its good to hear from you Donny! Your were missed terribly! Might I suggest some Osteo Bi-flex Triple strength? It helps my arthritis a lot. I have my old Lab on a similar supplement except she gets Hemp in her mixture. I have also heard CBD helps too. I don't use the stuff myself do to my employment and I have to be tested as part of my security clearance..
Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 AM
donnyman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The greetings is appreciated! thank you one and all. this being old stuff is a pain, literally. I really don't know what is the cause of my aches and such so a doctors visit is in order But I am worried the doctors office maybe just the place to catch up with old covid. this Internet thing is expensive, $183 down and $85 a month with a big a-- antenna on the roof. I guess if you dance to the music ya gotta pay the piper.

my motorhome is back in the shop, been there going on a month, The electrical system is going nuts everything is burning up, The mechanic is a good man but I think this time he is going to wax my wallet.
Oh yea....The honey do's getting attacked just not by me! I am looking at having the house and garage roof covered in metal, which will cost a minor fortune, and at my age is it worth it? I want to sell out and down size but can't seem to get things in gear like I have no idea where to put down new stakes.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't think there is any perfect place to move to and the ones that look good may not stay that way with these ever changing weather patterns. Lately it seems even the weather people are befuddled by what is happening and their long range predictions (anything more than 3 days) have been spotty at best.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:16 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proctor Anitiv

Originally Posted by Learn_CNC View Post
Hello Old Timers...

I got commissioned to re-cover and restore a Proctor Antic (for the son of the original owner, who flew it back in the mid-1970's). I've got all of the re-gluing, covering, cleaning, etc. completed, and am now dealing with the wire rigging. Since I received the plane as bunch of parts in a basket.... and it's been easily 40 years since I have seen an assembled Antic, I'm at a bit of a loss about some of the rigging. The wires that support the wing dihedral were no problem, but I've got one stray wire (probably 14 inches long) that comes off the center attach point at the top of the "bird cage" wire strut assembly. I have no idea where the loose end is supposed to attach, or what it's purpose is. And I've got two wires that come forward from the forward, upper dihedral wire attach points, that I assume are intended to keep the wings from sweeping backwards under load. Their length is such that they seem to need to be attached to the sides of the cowling, but I don't find any evidence of attach points there ?

Does anybody reading this have a drawing of the Antic rigging?.... or a memory of how things should be? I'm sure I can improvise something, but I'd rather do it "by the book", if possible...

I can provide photos, etc., if it helps...???

Thanks!

-Taylor
Hi Taylor, I saw one of these fly in 1978 but I have no experience in building one! but look at this link Proctor Antic Kits.
This the current manufacture of the Proctor line they might be able to help you with your problem
good luck
Michael
Old 07-31-2020, 02:09 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Nagy View Post
These wind tubine blades are each 246' long and take a week or so to manufacture, out of [....] acres of BALSA WOOD in each blade, [....] the shipping industry was using a lot of balsa for liteweight pallets [....] Balsa [....] is in High Demand and is going to cost us a lot more
We will see resourcefulness similar to the WW2 years, where hardwoods such as basswood, hardwood dowels and sheet foam replace balsa. To lower weight one can reduce cross section size and maintain same strength.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The title of this thread is "Old Timers Look Here..." I am seventy-two but like most of us, still nineteen inside. I am fortunate enough still to enjoy good health, except for my knees.

I flew to England on 20th July to spend a few days with Miss Blue Eyes. After the aircraft had landed at Bristol, I was removing my pack from the overhead locker when a thirty something asked me whether I needed help with it!

I've never felt old before!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.