Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 08-01-2020, 09:51 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel old when I go into a store and hear a song playing over the loudspeaker, and I can remember that song when it first came out many years ago!
Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 PM
donnyman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OLD! I don't feel old, as long as I am resting. but getting up from any position can sometimes be a challenge. I am 10 months away from being 80 and it amazes me because it just don't seem that long, what blows my mind is how fast the days pass now. my hands don't do what I expect from them more often than I like and I seem to fall asleep at odd hours of the day. with all that and more my feeble brain still has me thinking I am in my twenties right up to the moment I .......................

Last edited by donnyman; 08-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:36 PM
acdii

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Today I got the dual action out and polished and waxed my F350. I remember when I could do that all day and feel fine. EH, not so much anymore. My hands and wrists ache, along with things I didn't even know I have. Sucks getting old. I still have 25 years to go to reach Donny's age! Arthritis is a *****, and can really take the fun out of doing things I used to love to do, now I dread them. But hey, my 8 YO truck is looking nice and shining again.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's of any comfort, I used to play rugby in my teens and early twenties. Scrum half for those who know anything bout the game. I was replaced by a younger, better player and as I was no longer being selected I decided to give up playing the game at the end of the season. Several years later, I was working with a man who played rugby for the county and who was friendly with a teacher who played for Exeter. It was a tradition at this man's school that the teachers played a rugby match against the Sixth Form, that is against boys who were seventeen or eighteen years old. The teachers couldn't quite make up a team so my workmate and I volunteered to play. The game was only 20 minutes each half rather than the normal 40 minutes, probably out of respect for some of the older teachers. I was pretty fit at the time having taken up long distance running for charities, ten milers and half marathons mostly with a few ten kilometre "sprints" thrown in. We easily beat the boys because in addition to my colleague and the man who played for Exeter, another teacher, had had a trial for Wales so for scratch team we were a pretty classy outfit. They put me in the three quarters, not my usual position. I was tackled once in the entire game and fell over twice! The following morning I ached everywhere and it took a further two days for things to get back to normal.

I was thirty years old at the time!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-01-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:00 AM
ETpilot

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is appropriately named; OldTimers. I went in for my wellness visit with the doctor this month. My bloodwork came back just over the limit on three tests. Looks minor to me, I get to see the doctor Wednesday for a review. Iím lucky to be in good physical condition or I could not do the things that I do. Only medication so far is for high blood pressure. Iím 77 but think and act like 19. Iíve had to shorten my work day and I canít handle this Texas heat like I used to. Just adapting to the times. I tried setting the clock back to slow down the year; but it didnít work.

Yesterday I spent my time hot wire cutting this foam airplane. Foam is new to me but Iím learning. Keeping the brain working helps keep me young.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:35 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is a few yard signs I figure this bunch can appreciate.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL yea no kidding
Old 08-03-2020, 04:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It was a lovely calm day here in central France yesterday so I thought I'd fly my scruffy old Roy Scott BE2e. It's not over-powered by an OS 70 FL and because of it's draggy airframe it only flies on calm days. I don't find it an easy model to fly. I find myself having to use aileron, rudder and elevator all at the same time and yesterday was no exception so I thought nothing of it. I once had a Sopwith Pup and that displayed simillar characteristics but the Pup was easier to fly and capable of aerobatics. Perhaps the BE2 needs a little more nose weight, the president of my club certainly thinks so, but I took off alright and flew it through a few circuits and eights until it was time to land. The landing was uneventful and I taxied it back.

It was then that I noticed that the clevis on the port ailerons had detached itself and for some of the flight I had been flying on only one set of ailerons! I must be a better pilot than I thought!

The picture of it in flight yesterday must have been taken before the clevis detached itself!

Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I don't think that we have anybody as old as the British scientist James Lovelock amongst our regular correspondents, but this little film cheered me up no end. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-...kynja-nZLG6NYE
Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
I don't think that we have anybody as old as the British scientist James Lovelock amongst our regular correspondents, but this little film cheered me up no end. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-...kynja-nZLG6NYE

Hmm... He is old enough to have dated Olivia de Havilland.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Hmm... He is old enough to have dated Olivia de Havilland.
Absolutely!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:37 AM
donnyman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess my age or something made me let my guard down just long enough to get scammed, I hope I woke up early enough to save my money, $200 sent on a gift card supposedly to a friend. My preoccupation with other matters made me react without thinking, I've alerted the gift card people to stop payment and maybe I will be made whole but one can't be sure until the funds are returned. what bugs me most is I was fully aware of this type of scam and was warned at the store were i purchased the card that it maybe a scam but my brain didn't respond until it was too late. I will not send cash to anyone this way in the future.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

My buddy Les just invested in a new P-47 kit he says they only thing missing in it is the covering, engine, and radio gear. All wood is laser cut and even the accessories and the glue are in the box. The plans are in a separate package to protect them. He said the instruction book is so full of pictures it loos like a small town phone book. Les is the 78 and he said it was the most complete and the best built kit he has ever seen. He has built about every brand you can think of too including Top Flite, SIG, Balsa USA and it puts them to shame. I'm going over to see it this afternoon or tomorrow.

https://gator-rc.com/p-47-thunderbol...ship-early-may
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 05:42 AM
acdii

Geez, a real kit! If I hadn't just spent $1100 to replace the pressure tank and water softener yesterday, I would snag one. Only downside is I never find time to fly. You know, if the bladder in the water tank fails, it can store a lot of water in it. Tank must have weighed 300 pounds, I could barely move it, and when I finally got it to move it fell over and got a big dent in it. I had to drill a hole so it could drain. Today my back is telling me, You FOOL!
Old 08-06-2020, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

They have an equally complete Zero kit too. The only bummer is they only have 2 P-47 kits and 1 Zero kit left. The kits are made in Vietnam by Seagull along with a whole lot of ARFs. .
Old 08-06-2020, 06:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I had a strange experience yesterday while instructing. We were flying an electric foamy trainer and my trainee was flying circuits and horizontal eights quite well when the model somehow rolled over on its back and plummeted towards the ground above a field of sunflowers.We saw it disappear apparently amongst the sunflowers. Immediately I thought that we would have to send a search party to find the wreckage amongst the crop but I had regained control and had given it full power and full up elevator. Suddenly the model came back into sight climbing vertically at high speed! I was able to bring it back to a landing without further incident.

The field slopes down from the clubsite and what must have happened was that the model must have dived below the level of the nearest sunflowers which obscured it from my sight. Then, having been given the command "up elevator and full power," it must have climbed from a low altitude back into the air aided by the speed it had built up in the dive! I wonder how close to the ground it was before it recovered!

Logically I don't believe in lucky models but I've had one or two which survived a number of scrapes.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

God looks after fools and little children, and don't forget better lucky than smart! (Personal experience on both counts)
Old 08-06-2020, 07:44 AM
acdii

Hmm, looked at what they have, and that B-25 would make a nice plane, even if it is an ARF. Just a bit smaller than the Ziroli I am still working on after 4 years.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

They do have some nice looking ARFs I would love to see kitted. If I had a spare $500 laying around I would have already bought the P-47 and Zero kits.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 AM
acdii

My problem is I don't have room for anymore kits or planes. As it is I have to store all my planes in my trailer, at least until after the Vid scare is done and can return to work as normal. My workshop is now also my daily office. At least I can build plastic models at my desk in between jobs. Working on a 1/72 scale B-17 at the moment.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
God looks after fools and little children
Well, I'm not a little child anymore, so.....
Old 08-06-2020, 05:49 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
Logically I don't believe in lucky models but I've had one or two which survived a number of scrapes.
Count your blessings.

Back in Spring 1973 I was learning to fly R/C by myself in a grassy open field. First fully fuelled flight after several short fuelled test flights for adjustments, shortly after launch gaining about 100 feet altitude, I lost control of my Cox .020 Pee Wee powered 27" Top Flite Schoolboy on single channel pulse proportional. It spiralled down into a small tree, sparing it. It had nary a scratch.

Then after, through many trials, errors, crashes over the next several weeks, I learned to successfully fly single channel rudder only control. This is why I still love to fly single channel rudder only, it is pure fun.