Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

I have developed the habit of waking up, switching on the lap top, making a mug tea and taking both back to bed. I then look at three aeromodelling websites and Facebook before going into my email account where I send an email to Miss Blue Eyes describing what I plan to do for the day. If I don't send her an email she starts to worry about me!

Having opened my email account I found that I'd received an email from Amazon. Someone in Russia using a Galaxy Smartphone was trying to access my Amazon account and they asked whether it was me. As I've never been to Russia and don't have a smartphone of any description, I soon told them that it wasn't me and they've blocked the hacker.

Whatever next? You can't be too careful can you?
Old 08-11-2020, 04:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 246 Likes on 220 Posts

It could be worse last month I received noticed my credit was used for a loan application with the Small Business Administration for a disaster loan. I shut that down in a hurry! I monitor my bank accounts daily and credit file weekly for that reason.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:31 AM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Same here, caught someone who had stolen cards from Jewel/Osco and used my wifes number for small stuff at gas stations. It was about $120, but I knew those purchases were not right since they were in areas my wife had never been to. Bank took care of it all.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

With us all being high risk for all this virus running around I thought a bit of humor might be in order. The second picture is just because I like a good tweak to the nose of the younger generation..

Old 08-11-2020, 09:50 AM
donnyman

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

Banking on line is something I stay away from, today there are far to many ways to lose your savings. after my fiasco with the gift card I am ever more vigilant though it was mostly my fault. the gift card people said they would send a form through email for me to fill out ..so far nothing, and why are the people helping you so hard to understand? I use my debit card as a buffer from being wiped out it has very limited cash reserve.

I enjoyed your post flyer! keep them coming.

my internet company had to reset my satellite dish because of constant hesitations and slow downloads, they gave me one month free...we'll see. they will have to come back soon the roof needs new shingles.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

I would get the dish company to mount it somewhere other than through the shingles. The fewer holes in the roofing materials the better.

I'm glad you like the post!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:39 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I would get the dish company to mount it somewhere other than through the shingles. The fewer holes in the roofing materials the better.
I agree. Never mount through the roof. Leaks may occur over time. I had one mounted on the eave of the house That one leaked overtime and rotted my eave board. Best location is a metal pole in the ground placed with a clear view of the sky. Mine is, now, on a pole by the corner of the house not visible from the front. Antenna about 7 feet high.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 338 Likes on 270 Posts

Removed the politics, don't do it again please.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:03 AM
donnyman

[QUOTE=ETpilot;12624049]I agree. Never mount through the roof. Leaks may occur over time. I had one mounted on the eave of the house That one leaked overtime and rotted my eave board. Best location is a metal pole in the ground placed with a clear view of the sky. Mine is, now, on a pole by the corner of the house not visible from the front. Antenna about 7 feet high.[/QUOT

Mine will eventually end up on a pole also, but I am getting calls from persons interested in my land so I am not sure if I will be with this house long enough to concern myself about it. right now I am being offered the lowball offers.
I was watching on tv the show Hogs gone wild? anyway I was wondering, why do some people capture the pigs alive or even relocate such a pest?
Old 08-17-2020, 10:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

The only thing that really works on wild hogs is a high power boattail bullet between the eyes.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:28 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

They make good eating or so I'm told.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:57 AM
ETpilot

There are state laws on how to handle hogs. Iíve sold a bunch to licensed buyers. They are great eating. If you ever see a wild hog BBQ give it a try. My first BBQ was in Immokalee, Fl. Held at the airport so I just flew in. What a treat; flying and eating. Some of my neighbors like the meat so now any I catch goes for food. I have shot a few. Right between the eyes as Flyer stated. They are dangerous. My worst catch was a Momma and a baby. Talk about a wild animal.

Relocation is not allowed unless they are male and go to a hunting location; club. Females are a no no as they reproduce with large litters. I havenít reviewed the laws lately but transport and relocation is covered. Texas has a large hog problem.

This I believe was my last catch; September 2017. They destroyed part of my runway. Trapped on the green runway. They havenít bothered me since but have hit my neighbors. Iíve set my trap for my neighbors but no luck on trapping any. They are pretty smart

This lone hog was in the 250-300 lb. range. Shot by a neighbor on the property border and removed through my property. Large tusk, can do damage.

Good luck with your land sale.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

What is with the quality of manufacturing today? Saturday I bought a new Hunter fan, got it installed only to discover the motor had a bearing ticking and put out a foul odor after running a while. I take it back yesterday and bought a Hampton Bay to replace it. The Hampton Bay fan will not spin the blades all I get is a loud hum from the motor. I'm two for two!
Old 08-18-2020, 05:11 AM
donnyman

That hog looks scary even dead. and ugly! I haven't seen any hogs locally but if I do would a long rifle 22 hollow pound put one down? or should I only consider 30 cal. or larger? so I don't piss m off.

While stationed in Arizona with the air force we had barbecued Javelina, it tasted fine but it took the whole days worth of chewing to swallow. the meat was real tough even after being cooked all day.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:23 AM
donnyman

[QUOTE=FlyerInOKC;12625490]What is with the quality of manufacturing today? Saturday I bought a new Hunter fan, got it installed only to discover the motor had a bearing ticking and put out a foul odor after running a while. I take it back yesterday and bought a Hampton Bay to replace it. The Hampton Bay fan will not spin the blades all I get is a loud hum from the motor. I'm two for two![/QUOTE

That's typical low quality manufacturing! I had the same problem sometime back with four fans , they all failed after one day's run I found the lubricant that was used dried and hardened so I tore them down cleaned and re-lubed the motor bearings.
that was well over thirty year ago and I still use one today. One of the engineers I worked with developed a cleaning process that was beyond excellent and offered to clean the bearings for a fan company for one cent each, he was turned down for being too expensive to use. the fan company and he went out of business.

Last edited by donnyman; 08-18-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
While stationed in Arizona with the air force we had barbecued Javelina, it tasted fine but it took the whole days worth of chewing to swallow. the meat was real tough even after being cooked all day.
My Dad use to tell the story when he was in the Pacific theater in WWII. They had not seen meat in 6 months so they cut a deal with the Sea Bees (they had refrigeration) to split a stolen water buffalo. They tried baking it, broiling, it boiling, it, and frying it but the one thing they could not do was make it eatable! It was too tough to even chew! He also said that farmer was really mad and the government paid him a fortune for his missing buffalo.

I would recommend a .30 caliber those boars get to 300 to 400 lbs. and if he charges you want some stopping power. A 30-30 Winchester would work for a fast second shot. I would also carry a 1911 style .45 or a Blackhawk .44 Magnum as a back up if he gets too close.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:31 AM
donnyman

The biggest weapons I have is a 38, 30 cal carbine and a worn out 9mm. maybe I'll do some gun shopping.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 AM
acdii

Good luck with that. Been looking for a .223 Semi Auto, only thing left are bolt action. Hell I can't even find bulk .22 anymore.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

See if you can find one of the Marlin Model 1895s. They are chambered for a 45-70 that should do it.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:16 PM
ETpilot

Most of the hogs Iíve shot were captured hogs. Between the eyes with a .22 or .38. Hogs that are out roaming best kill shot is behind the ear or a broadside shot just above and just behind the front legs. That is where I aim. The vital organs are located in that area. For a charging hog, best find some place to hide. They are very quick. In all my trapping I lost just one hog. A little one squeezed out between the trap and the loading trailer. He was amazingly fast heading for the woods. The bad thing is they learn to be wary of traps. So itís reported in all the literature I have read. If you trap them you have to do something with them other than letting them go.

When shooting hogs you only get one shot. You have to make it count. They all scatter when they hear the shot.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:45 AM
donnyman

ETpilot
What you've said sounds about right to me. I have made some very long shots with my scoped 22, everyone a kill. but not on hogs. a 22 at short range is lethal when properly utilized and is my favorited choice. I use the bulk shells for general use It's cheaper, other than that I try for more quality, either way I have only been disappointed once. I have a bolt action and it is very accurate. But when i need rapid fire my semi auto works like a charm. I keep both well protected and handy.

What I will seek in the near future is a pistol of no less than a 38 or 9mm not sure which, the last pistol I used was a magnum 44 but that gets expensive and I am not sure I need that much whup as_.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:24 AM
acdii

Go for broke, Desert Eagle .50.

How much stopping power does a 9 mm have compared to others? I only have one because of the size for ccw. Not a comfortable one for target practice with either, my hand starts to hurt, not from the recoil but from the grip, it rubs wrong. I would like a standard size sidearm, just don't know what caliber would be best.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Go for broke, Desert Eagle .50.
That way if you miss its heavy enough to beat them to death.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:57 AM
acdii

You can shoot a hog in the ass and have it come out it's snout, taking the entrails with it!
Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

How about a Thompson Center Contender in a .223 caliber?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.