Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 08-19-2020, 01:33 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m not a hunter. I’ve read of the kill shot for a deer vs a hog. Different areas to aim for. I just shoot predatory animals. I do have all kinds of deer on my property. My property is a sanctuary for them.

Handgun wise my 2 favorites are a S&W M&P .22. And a Glock 9mm. I shoot left handed and the S&W is easy to handle left handed. The Glock also. Rifle wise I have an M-1 Carbine which I rarely shoot. A scoped Ruger 1022 which is my go to Rifle. Has a large capacity clip. Another favorite is a pump action rifle .22. Can’t remember the manufacturer. An old one from around the 1920's, I think. I get along with these weapons. A shotgun for around the pond.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:03 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I forgot about my shotgun, a 12 gauge. maybe 00 buck shot would do some damage but I don't use it much anymore, it kicks like a mule.

I purchase weapons like I am buying shoes it has to be comfortable in my hands no matter the size. my son purchased a Ruger 9mm some time back, it's a good looking weapon and fits my hand well but he paid over $600 for it.
The 9mm pistol I have was a gift but I am afraid to use it, the flights in the barrel is worn down quite a bit. I looked it up on line and it got very low marks for quality and reliability so I haven't used it. the quality is in the metals used to construct it hence the prices. my wife's 38 snug nose is real nice but it's a women's weapon and does not fit my hand so my accuracy with it is sub standard, maybe I will try to trade it in on one for me. I want something to wear on my hip.

ETpilot --------- those dear look real pretty, my wife would have a fit if I shot one. I used to shoot rabbits but not anymore it is getting to populated here and you have to be careful, I haven't seen any jack rabbits for quite some time.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:41 AM
ETpilot

I have a removable rifle scabbard for the Honda ATV. I can carry a rifle or the shotgun. I missed out on a left hand holster for the S&W. When I went back to buy it it was gone. Now I can’t find one. I carry it in a basket on the ATV. For a weapon on the hip, I carry the Glock as I have a holster for it. My weapon collection is going to my nephew when I’m gone. He is into guns.

Speaking of rabbits, I have a few of those too. They hang out by the bird feeder. I occasionally throw out some unsalted crackers for them. They apparently like crackers.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:24 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Its easy enough to make your own Western style holster. All you need is a good piece of leather and a leather strip to stitch it with. I have a book from an old holster smith named Chic Gaylord. He was the original expert on Practical Handgun shooting. He made custom rigs for a lot of the FBI and other Federal agncies back in the 60s. If you are interested I can dig it up. Years ago I followed his directions and made a left handed holster for Harrington Richardson 6" revolver.

I found an article that talks about Chic here:

https://americanhandgunner.com/our-e.../chic-gaylord/

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-20-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:41 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Er...any of you guys notice that Joe Bridi died a few days ago. He was 92.

I've just received a Super Kaos Junior short-kit from Eureka Aircraft. I plan to build it over the winter and power it with an OS 40V rear exhaust engine which I've had sculling about unemployed for years. The kit came without a plan. I really must read the small print next time! I haven't yet decided whether to mount the engine upright or on its side. Either way the exhaust might make the model difficult to carry. Inverted the tuned pipe exhaust would foul the nose leg. I suppose that I could convert it to a conventional undercarriage. I'll see when I get the plan.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

No I hadn't heard Joe died. A giant in the hobby has passed!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:55 AM
ETpilot

Sorry to hear about Joe Bridi. I followed his plan in building the Killer Chaos.

Flyer thanks for posting that article on Chic Gaylord. Interesting reading. I appreciate your offer regarding making a holster but I’m just too busy right now for any more projects. With this pandemic I’ve stopped all handyman work for neighbors. I’m now concentrating on taking care of postponed projects at my home. I’ve been working hard to finish those. I started on the barn yesterday. I have to reroof a section of some wind damaged roof panels and replace rotted wood. Hope to one day be free of home repair projects.

I did do a search on making holsters a while back. I used to do leather work back when I was young. I got my tools and supplies from the Tandy Leather Company. They were affiliated with Radio Shack. I can’t remember what I did with those tools.

I may try the holster project later. Right now I’m finishing my foam airplane and that will end airplane building for now.

Thanks again. I may call on you, later, for that holster information.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Sorry to hear about Joe Bridi. I followed his plan in building the Killer Chaos.

Flyer thanks for posting that article on Chic Gaylord. Interesting reading. I appreciate your offer regarding making a holster but I’m just too busy right now for any more projects. With this pandemic I’ve stopped all handyman work for neighbors. I’m now concentrating on taking care of postponed projects at my home. I’ve been working hard to finish those. I started on the barn yesterday. I have to reroof a section of some wind damaged roof panels and replace rotted wood. Hope to one day be free of home repair projects.

I did do a search on making holsters a while back. I used to do leather work back when I was young. I got my tools and supplies from the Tandy Leather Company. They were affiliated with Radio Shack. I can’t remember what I did with those tools.

I may try the holster project later. Right now I’m finishing my foam airplane and that will end airplane building for now.

Thanks again. I may call on you, later, for that holster information.
Just let me know when you want it. Basically you use a hammer and nails to nail the leather to a board in the shape you want then remove it and stitch it up. The leather is then soaked in water then the gun is well oiled placed in a plastic bag and inserted into the holster to dry completely. This forms the holster to the gun for a custom fit. Its easy peasy!
Old 08-23-2020, 04:54 AM
ETpilot

Thanks. Sounds easy enough. I’ll have to give it a try when I have some time.

I had a dead animal in the shop. I guessed it would be a mouse. The trouble was finding it. I traced it down to a drawer In my workbench. So I got my headlamp on, a grabber tool, a poking tool and gloves. I had a lot of tools in the drawer. Slowly poking around I got a mouse moving about trying to get out. So I cleared an area and placed a glue pad to get it.

Yesterday I checked and had no luck. So I proceeded to empty the drawer. I got it down to an area of eaten up paper. It had to be there. When I disturbed the paper this mouse came running and jumped out of the drawer and escaped. But I had 6 little ones moving about. I had to force them onto the glue pad to get them out. I left them there hoping momma would come back and I could get her. I’ll find out this morning. Maybe I should have left the snake in the shop. On the plus side I found a straight draw shave I’ve been looking for for months. No idea why I put it in that drawer.

Working on my foamy, I’m almost done. I have to buy the electronics before I can put it together. I also have to attach the control surfaces. It has been an interesting and educational build. Working with foam is different.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks. Sounds easy enough. I’ll have to give it a try when I have some time.

I had a dead animal in the shop. I guessed it would be a mouse. The trouble was finding it. I traced it down to a drawer In my workbench. So I got my headlamp on, a grabber tool, a poking tool and gloves. I had a lot of tools in the drawer. Slowly poking around I got a mouse moving about trying to get out. So I cleared an area and placed a glue pad to get it.

Yesterday I checked and had no luck. So I proceeded to empty the drawer. I got it down to an area of eaten up paper. It had to be there. When I disturbed the paper this mouse came running and jumped out of the drawer and escaped. But I had 6 little ones moving about. I had to force them onto the glue pad to get them out. I left them there hoping momma would come back and I could get her. I’ll find out this morning. Maybe I should have left the snake in the shop. On the plus side I found a straight draw shave I’ve been looking for for months. No idea why I put it in that drawer.

Working on my foamy, I’m almost done. I have to buy the electronics before I can put it together. I also have to attach the control surfaces. It has been an interesting and educational build. Working with foam is different.

Occasionally we find a dead rat that the dog got. Don't know where they are nesting.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:52 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Occasionally we find a dead rat that the dog got. Don't know where they are nesting.
A bull snake would find them.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:02 AM
ETpilot

Rats are worse. I’d rather deal with mice. I learned something from this. When I checked again I found that the young mice had been eaten. I thought maybe I had another snake. I did an internet search and found that mice, under certain conditions, eat their young. Interesting.

Looks like Laura is forecast to pass close by. Mostly wind and rain here. A potential for a power loss here. I have to buy some gas. I have to do some prep work to get ready. I have old metal roof panels on the grass. I have to weigh them down. Bring a few things in. Just a little work to do to get ready. Just what I needed; a tropical depression.

Now they are saying 80mph winds. Worse forecast than before.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Rats are worse. I’d rather deal with mice. I learned something from this. When I checked again I found that the young mice had been eaten. I thought maybe I had another snake. I did an internet search and found that mice, under certain conditions, eat their young. Interesting.

Looks like Laura is forecast to pass close by. Mostly wind and rain here. A potential for a power loss here. I have to buy some gas. I have to do some prep work to get ready. I have old metal roof panels on the grass. I have to weigh them down. Bring a few things in. Just a little work to do to get ready. Just what I needed; a tropical depression.

Now they are saying 80mph winds. Worse forecast than before.
Sounds depressing!

Could be worse you could be in NOLA. Looking at the projected path it will be a near direct hit.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, I used to live in Spring Texas which is on the north side of Houston, just south of the Woodlands on I-45. I remember the last Hurricane that I endured there and I told the wife that I had enough of this lets move and we did. My job prospects are terrible here but life is a little better for me and my family.My heart bleeds for old friends that still live on the gulf coast! Yikes two storms one after the other what could be worse right!
Yesterday afternoon I took my GP easy sport to the field and I get up in the air and throttle back.Then I flew two laps around and my engine dies.My friend and I spent the next 2 hours trying to get my OS 46 ax to run. it fires right every time but at half throttle it will just die and then I saw air bubbles in the line again. I have rebuilt the fuel tank twice and I am still getting air in the line.I might replace the tank as it is a little old I think. I even thought about getting my brand new 46ax out and break it in and run on this to see if that is the issue! The engine is 2 hand and the guy I got it from told me that it was just broke in. I ran it through break in process again and it did well on the bench.This issue has been going on from day one and I cant seem to solve it!
I hope your weekend was better than mine!
Michael

Last edited by mkjohnston; 08-24-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

A bad of flying is still better than one day of work in my book!
Old 08-24-2020, 08:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sometimes I really hate reading medical journals for work:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/88234
Old 08-24-2020, 05:31 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
A bad of flying is still better than one day of work in my book!
We say the same of motorcycles: The worst ride is better than the best day of work.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:54 AM
mkjohnston

Hi, I got an email from tower hobbies about changes to their website. I tried to view their website and a menu popped up and asked me for a user name and password! I was wondering what is going on with them! Has anyone tried to order something from them this week? I was going to purchase a new OS 65 for my ultrasport 60 this week.
Michael
Old 08-26-2020, 10:09 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi, I got an email from tower hobbies about changes to their website. I tried to view their website and a menu popped up and asked me for a user name and password! I was wondering what is going on with them! Has anyone tried to order something from them this week? I was going to purchase a new OS 65 for my ultrasport 60 this week.
Michael
I tired to make an order last week but nothing was in stock, and then I got the pop up stating the "Big Change" coming and all the services that won't be available.
I found all I needed at Grayson, Motion RC and Amazon. I really don't see Tower being around much longer since it seems to be a redundant draw down for Horizon.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think Tower's website is getting an major overhaul probably because the old site was heavy dependent on Adobe Flash. When was the last time they upgraded it? I don't remember then again I have problems remembering last Tuesday. Any way, Adobe has stopped all support and will kill off Adobe Flash completely on 1/1/2021. Any websites using Flash will have to be updated to new services or risk a shutdown. Once Tower is done I would not be surprised if the Horizon site goes thru the same transition. Flash was overdue to go away it just doesn't cut the mustard with modern security requirements. I for one found the old Tower site a heck of a lot user friendly than the Horizon site. Both sites can easily be run on the same software application with very little additional cost over a single site. The application would just insert the appropriate logo into the webpage based on the URL the customer entered to access the site. There are a lot of companies who have been doing the same thing for years and no one suspected a thing.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:41 PM
acdii

Java isn't far behind. Oracle bought up Java and now charges licensing fees. We had to switch everything over to OpenJDK so that we could continue using Java based apps.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:01 AM
mkjohnston

its back up today but they sure don't carry the parts Im looking for. particularly Im looking for some music wire to make new landing gear for my GP easy sport. I need to go see my LHS as he still has some K&S metal wire.
Michael
Old 08-27-2020, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
its back up today but they sure don't carry the parts Im looking for. particularly Im looking for some music wire to make new landing gear for my GP easy sport. I need to go see my LHS as he still has some K&S metal wire.
Michael
Michael if push comes to shove you can get it here:

https://brodak.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Music+wire

Mike
Old 08-27-2020, 09:27 AM
acdii

Sadly Tower, now that Horizon owns it, will go the way of the ARF assembler, and builders will no longer have the option of stocking up from TH. I will be surprised if you can still get tanks and other items since HH is mostly electric now too.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

I made the first order from Tower in years a couple of months ago. They had one of their unadvertised sales and I picked up 4 receiver battery packs for about $20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.