Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 09-05-2020, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

The foamy looks good!
Stikum you are the unfortunate winner of the human demolition derby!
I agree with you I think you get better care from clinics affiliated with med schools. Granted appointments take longer first you get the student's exam then you get the teach's exam. The student is slow and through because they are learning and don't want to miss something. The Orthopedic surgeon who put my back together in 2014 is Dean of Orthopedics and works 2 days at the VA hospital. He requires ALL of the Orthopedic students to due a minimum of 1 year of residency at the VA hospital or they don't graduate. He takes a 2 week vacation every year to India to give free healthcare to the poor. I like his attitude! He also chose my knee and hand doctors for me at my request.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-05-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:42 AM
donnyman

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
I stumbled across this topic while surfing some aeromodelling sites this morning. An engineer called Edward Perera from Sri Lanka has built a model aeroplane powered by a steam engine which he built himself!

Negombo Aeromodellers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Think what a small nuclear power supply could do with that steam engine. fly for twenty years straight without refueling.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:20 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Think what a small nuclear power supply could do with that steam engine. fly for twenty years straight without refueling.
Yeah but wouldn't it be a bit dangerous if you crashed it?
Old 09-05-2020, 08:36 AM
donnyman

Yeah but wouldn't it be a bit dangerous if you crashed it?
Not on a mass destructive basis, several nuclear bombs have been dropped and none have exploded. other than the possibility of radiation exposure things should be ok.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

Not on a mass destructive basis, several nuclear bombs have been dropped and none have exploded. other than the possibility of radiation exposure things should be ok.
Donny you might enjoy readying up on the NB-36H the only nuclear powered bomber the USAF ever built. It was cancelled in 1958.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:09 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Donny you might enjoy readying up on the NB-36H the only nuclear powered bomber the USAF ever built. It was cancelled in 1958.
If I am not mistaken that plane was a stupid design. it polluted the atmosphere, I will look it up to be sure.

I took a quick look at the nb-36 it isn't the one I remember but the technology of the day would not permit a reasonably safe design. what I remember was a rocket engine, a real bummer for pollution.

With todays technology many other sources of power is available that is much safer, but nuclear submarines used the nuclear steam technology I was thinkng of originally.

Last edited by donnyman; 09-05-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 PM
donnyman

A thought........................................... . most medicines render only temporary relief or cover up the symptoms, If a pill or whatever cured the situation how would the (xyz company) make any money? temporary relieving the problem keeps the cash flow going.
Have you paid much attention to the after affects of using the medicines? offered to the public? I took a medicine? for a urinary problem that put me in total incapacitation, no need to say I only used one.

Question............... would many countries economy be as strong as it is without some type of war on some part of this world? It won't be long before it will be the same in space.

Is it true man's quest is to acquire the most sex, money, and power?
Old 09-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know Donny. Neither Hitler nor Stalin were interested in sex or money.

Were you thinking of somebody else perhaps?
Old 09-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Stikum

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chernobyl and Fukushima were not nuclear bombs, either. They were nuclear power supplies, albeit too large to fly. Certainly more dangerous than LiPos....
Old 09-06-2020, 05:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Stikum View Post
Chernobyl and Fukushima were not nuclear bombs, either. They were nuclear power supplies, albeit too large to fly. Certainly more dangerous than LiPos....
Don't forget our one close call Three Mile Island
Old 09-06-2020, 09:57 AM
donnyman

I don't know Donny. Neither Hitler nor Stalin were interested in sex or money.

Were you thinking of somebody else perhaps?
How can you be so sure? power gets the other two.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:08 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Stikum View Post
True, I acknowledge that, and, they/those (power plants) were not designed to be put in a aircraft either. but we do use them in spacecraft. they can be amazingly small.

Last edited by donnyman; 09-06-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

What got me about NB-36H was they would only assign pilots and crew members in the later part of their careers and the big water tank installed between the crew compartment and the reactor for radiation protection.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:05 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it true man's quest is to acquire the most sex, money, and power?
Man's quest is to be his own God, and that leads to all the other issues.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:15 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
What got me about NB-36H was they would only assign pilots and crew members in the later part of their careers and the big water tank installed between the crew compartment and the reactor for radiation protection.
I hope that tank was made of lead. do you have any pictorial info on the nb-36h? it would be interesting to see how it was assembled.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:26 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
Man's quest is to be his own God, and that leads to all the other issues.
According to my teachings that's a fools errand. I have wondered why one desires the position of power, I appreciate the situation much as it is now, low responsibility, quiet life style and peaceful existence, (current upheavals excepted) life is too short for all the B.S. associated with this imagined power, it doesn't last past ones death.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

I hope that tank was made of lead. do you have any pictorial info on the nb-36h? it would be interesting to see how it was assembled.
Actually I think the tank was aluminum, its the water that blocks the radiation from getting to the crew. That is why fuel rods are stored in water. Its considered a very efficient insulator for radiation. I haven't seen any pictorials of the airplane probably because it was top-secret for so long and any documentation was probably destroyed long ago.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:20 PM
acdii

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Donny. Been too busy with work. My work from home situation happens to also be in my workshop. Thinking maybe I could do some laser work while working, or working on my planes, didn't pan out. The last thing I worked on was cutting up some card stock for a profile P-39, a copy of a WWII ID kit from the 40's that could be glued together and sanded into a scale replica. Have not had a chance to proof it against the original yet. We just got back from a mini vacation, first of the year and maiden voyage of our new trailer. Other than the wife forgetting aluminum foil the trip was excellent. Exciting too as I forgot to turn the mini fridge in the outdoor kitchen down after arriving. I had cranked it up the night before so that everything would stay cold during the trip, it is a 120v, and no inverter is installed for it yet. Needless to say a day later a grape soda decided to relieve itself of the stress, blew the door open and cracked one of the bins. There was grape soda everywhere! Thankfully the beer was on the top shelf and didnt get as cold, but man it was cold enough for an icy blast.

I am so looking forward to the end of this plandemic. Truth is starting to come out about the testing. Too many false positives now, there is a NYT report that goes through the details and it appears they are running the most used test at too high a cycle, so even bits of the virus show, and last years flu shot contained Covid from SARS-Cov, which is 78% identical to the SARS-Cov-2, which could trigger a false positive as well. There is something called amplification that is used during the test, with the average high times on some testing for other virus to be 35, and the Covid test is being run between 37-40 times amplification, which they claim is leading to a 90% false positive rate for that test. If this turns out to be true, the infection rate is far far lower than they are claiming. My work place has the WFH in place until February of next year. On the flip side, saving a lot on not needing gas, only filled my truck once since March, and the tank is still full today.

Donny, the thigh muscles are the largest in the body, so walking, running, deep knee bends, climbing stairs, etc, work up the highest heart rates. If you have artery or vein thinning, it could affect your heart rate, which in turn can affect the breathing. A few years ago, climbing stairs would get my heart up and out of breath, and they ran that test where they shove a catheter up an arm or by the crotch, for me, the arm, and they check the arteries and veins of the heart. Mine were clear, no heart issues. Turned out to be a lung infection that antibiotics resolved. I didn't feel like I wasn't getting enough oxygen, but apparently it was restricting something. A week later I no longer had issues climbing the stairs at work. Good luck on your tests, hopefully they find something simple to correct.

Now my issue is arthritis of the lower spine and degradation of the spine in the area directly behind my heart, which makes exercising painful, so of course, now I gained back all the weight I had lost and am huffing and puffing just walking to the barn.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:34 PM
FlyerInOKC

The problem with the testing its just not accurate enough depend on, too many false positives and too many false negatives as well. I had a quick test yesterday, it was negative, so I can go to the hospital tomorrow for testing and possible treatment. All that shows is I was clean yesterday but that could change at anytime and I could be positive and not know it tomorrow AM. If I don't post for a few days you will know where I will be, Cardiac unit.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-07-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
acdii

Wholeheartedly agree!
Old 09-07-2020, 08:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Wholeheartedly agree!
Well we do think a lot a like on some things.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:00 AM
donnyman

All this testing for covid is confusing, I feel the only true test is how many are infected, many would not be infected if they would follow proper prevention procedures.

I haven't been informed about the test I've had but as usual the results will show up normal. except for the fact I am to darn fat. I have a cholesterol? test scheduled for tomorrow maybe that will show something. I am told to lose weight but not how.
At my age I can barely walk much less get physical but I will increase my walking as best I can. It is odd some days I don't have any problems at all it just don't stay that way.

acdii
I haven't accomplished much in my shop either, as far as trips go my motorhome has been in the shop three months, my mechanic says it will be ready in a few days but he doesn't contact me in weeks. it will be worth it if he can resolve all the weird things going on with it like the furnace starting by it self burning up all the propane and wont shut down. it came on while the mechanic was working on it and he didn't know what it was for a while. He is replacing some wiring harnesses.

I am looking at a 3d printer that's very cheap but works very well, so they say on you tube. it's the creality unit sells for $170 as a kit, I just don't know where I'll put it things are real tight in my shop.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 AM
acdii

I hear you on the testing. All they say is x number tested positive, but they never say how many are actually sick. Where my wife works, one of the office workers there had his mother come up from I think Alabama. She wasn't feeling well a day after she arrived, so she got tested. Came up positive. His family then had to get tested, now none of them were sick, but all of them tested positive. They each retook the test, including the mother, all but one then came up negative, the co-worker tested positive. They then took a third round of tests, all came up negative. The mother had a cold with a slight fever, she was fine a few days later. My wife has to keep track of all these tests, so she has the insight on them. One other thing, are they tracking retests, or just adding them to the pile? We don't know, so how can we trust what is being reported? Hard to have faith in a system when the system can't be trusted.

Over the weekend the family took our first trip in our new 5th wheel RV, the campground is in Grant County WI. None of the campers wore a mask, of course we are all outdoors enjoying the weather, and keeping distance, according to the CDC thats all you need. My wife had gone to the stores in the area a couple times, and she had noticed that there were 4 bars she saw, no one wearing masks at all, and they were crowded. I checked the cases for Grant County, 98 the past 14 days, however, it does not specify if these are just positive test cases, or actually sick cases. The county has 51,439 people, so the rate is less than .002%. Guess just wait and see where this all goes, but it is looking less and less like a pandemic now, so fingers crossed it will all be over soon and we can get back to living our lives like we have always done.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:37 AM
donnyman

It could be the test are being conducted improperly and reported in a convoluted manner, but I am not going to take any chances, staying safe is better than ending up in some hospital. test or no test. better safe than sorry.
I can only hope this covid thing is ending, meanwhile I am wearing a mask.

The traffic around here has increased in the passed few weeks and is beginning to look more normal which makes me think folks are returning to work, but the unemployment rate is still very high. jobs are hard to find. I am glad to be retired.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:52 AM
acdii

No doubt, better to play it safe, especially if not feeling 100%. There are a lot of people looking for work up here, but nothing is allowed to fully open yet, and a lot of places have gone out of business for good. There are also a lot who don't want to work, one of the issues my company faces yearly when ramping up for peak season, finding temp warehouse workers is getting harder and harder to find.

Not only has traffic increased on my road, but has actually gone beyond what is normal. I never had to wait for traffic, or block someone when backing my trailer in, but the last few times I have to wait for traffic to go by or go around. I don't know where they are coming from or going to, and wonder why they chose such an awful rough road to take, but I am even seeing a few semi's go by, and this road is in such poor condition, that is the last thing needed on them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.