Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 09-14-2020, 10:56 AM
Stikum

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, it took several months to get used to my partial knee replacement. Range of motion exercises first, then strength later. Don't overdo it, and avoid high-impact activities. I'm done with dirt bikes and running. Swimming is GREAT!

Of all the joint replacements, shoulders seem to be the worst - most pain and longest rehab. So far, this one's doing OK.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:02 PM
ETpilot

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Today started out cool, a nice wind and good cloud cover. Time to get back on the barn roof removing more metal panels. I use my 8í step ladder on the low part working off the ladder. An extension ladder on the tall side working off ladder and getting up on roof with 2x lumber to rest on.

All was going good but then a mistake. Stepping down the 8í ladder, I thought I was on the last step before ground. I stepped off to find I was 2 steps up. Out of balance the ladder and I started to tumble. The ladder hit part of the structure and came to a stop. I held on and it slowed my fall. I fell on a slightly moist area of mud. I was a mess. Fortunately no injuries. I had cleared the area of some wood pallets and a few other things. Had I not cleared the area I would have been injured and probably seriously.

Not deterred, I pulled a couple of more panels then called it a good day. The worst is yet to come. Six last panels all over a rotted structure. Iíll have to use the ladders for these and use good care not to repeat a fall.

Hopefully Iíll get to fly this season. Cooler weather is coming.

You all take care. Those on the sick list heal well.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:11 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Watch those ladders my friend! I hope the job gets completed in record time and with no further missteps!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

15th September marks the commemoration of the heaviest day's fighting of the Battle of Britain. Just listen to these Merlins!

Old 09-15-2020, 04:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Prettiest music I ever heard!
Old 09-15-2020, 05:57 AM
donnyman

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi gentlemen Been reading your medical gripes and have concluded I am not doing so bad after all. BUT! (here it comes) I can't do anything without pain, we had a pipe break, and the guy (henry) cutting my lawn saved me, I shoveled three limps of dirt and almost collapsed. Henry finished the entire job. The black clay soil stuck to every shovel full. when I tried turning the water valve off I fell so I did it laying on the ground, luckily I was able to get up. this morning I feel ok? only my right hip protesting. I am concerned about my balance failing when I bend over, My doctors appointment tomorrow will be loaded with gripes.

I also recently had xrays- ultra sound on my lower spine and ankles, been run through some sort of MRI looking machine for my heart, stress test with ultra sound. nothing unusual! Too bad gripeing doesn't cause weight loss, I'd be thin as a rail.

ETPILOT
I need to rebuild the roof on my shed And the house need re-shingling also, but no way I get on a ladder I have fallen three times because the ladder slid off something, one time my leg got caught in the ladder and darn near broke it below the knee (very painful) But those sudden stops is a killer.

I wish you all well! no pain and loads of flying, The sounds of those Merlins got my blood pumping (post 8579)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

I loss a little weight and some girth in my belly from all the fluid they pulled off me. I'm chest pain free for now and they put me on Metoprolol to keep the blood moving. The bummer is I won't gain any strength or endurance back. Final diagnosis is Unstable Angina, its a step or two down from a a full blown heart attack. I have an enlargement of the right ventricle they blame on my lung condition stressing the heart. The great news the blood enzyme tests indicate no dead tissue in the heart! Long story short I'll live I just may not enjoy it as much. I looked up "Unstable Angina" and one of the major risk factors is being "male over 45". They said to try and avoid stress so I'm considering hibernating until mid November to avoid anything election related.

Donny, look at the grips this way it still beats a dirt nap!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-15-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:23 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Prettiest music I ever heard!
The Sound of Freedom!

According to Steven Bishop's book, "Fighter Boys," 2917 men flew in the Battle of Britain. 2334 were British so 583 were from other countries.

11 were from the USA. Of these at least one paid the supreme sacrifice. His name was William Meade Fiske, known as Billy. He was the son of an international banker from Chicago who had gone to Cambridge University and married an Englishwoman, the former wife of the Earl of Warwick! He had joined the RAF two weeks after war was declared, technically an act of treason in the USA, which probably explains why the Americans wore ordinary RAF uniforms without a shoulder tab denoting the country they came from. Air crew from Canada, New Zealand and Poland for example wore tunics with the name of their homeland on the shoulder; of course the USA was not at war in 1940 so that may explain it. Fiske was posted to 601 Squadron on 10th July 1940. This squadron's pilots largely came from priviledged backgrounds and included several of Fiske's friends, indeed it was known informally as "The Millionaires' Squadron" and they sported blue ties instead of the regulation black ! The squadron had recently converted from Blenheims to Hurricanes and although Fiske was an experienced pilot, he had never flown a Hurricane before arriving at the squadron. He was shot down on 16th August but managed to land on the aerodrome suffering from superficial burns to the hands and face. He was visited in hospital by the adjutant the following day who reported that he was "As perky as hell!" The following day he was dead. Shock? There is a plaque to him in St Paul's Cathedral in London.

Of the 2917 men who had fought in Fighter Command in the summer of 1940, 544 were killed in the Battle of Britain, just under 19%. A further 795 died before the war was over, so about 46% of those young men who sprang into the cockpits of their fighters during the Battle of Britain, never lived long enough to see peace. Lest we foreget.

Oh and statistically of the eleven American pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain, at least one other American pilot would have been killed that summer and perhaps another four would have been dead before the war was over.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-16-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Regardless of which country they were from they knew what they were doing was more important than their individual lives so they risk it all.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (09-16-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:20 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

As we are all sharing medical problems brought on the ageing process I thought I'd share mine.

Last Friday evening just before going to bed, I felt a dull pain around the knee and calf muscle of my right leg. I managed to get off to sleep alright but when I awoke I had bruises all over the thigh and calf and at the back of the knee and I assure you that I have not played rugby for over forty years!. Lurid pictures below. I went online and indications seem to suggest that they were burst blood vessels and that I may have a problem with blood circulation. I have had a varicose vein in the right thigh for at least twenty five years. I felt ok on the Saturday and went flying. I showed the bruises to Roger Aubard, the president of the model aeroplane club. He used to be a nurse and recommended making an appointment with my doctor and not leaving it too long. My doctor has been on holiday for the past fortnight but she returned to work on Monday. I had an appointment with her at 12.00 on Tuesday when she diagnosed burst blood vessels in a vein and she prescribed Pradaxa which I believe are pills to thin the blood together with surgical stockings which I'll pick up later today!

So not the first rustle of the wings of the Angel of Death as I'd feared! I should be ok for driving over to England at the end of the month and spending the autumn with Miss Blue Eyes.

bisco (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, are you sure Miss Blue eyes wasn't visiting and you got a little cheeky with her and she put you in your place?
bisco (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:19 AM
bisco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waiting for covid to end so i can get my cataract done. until then, flying (partially) blind. but a good excuse for landing in trees
Old 09-17-2020, 07:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

You could have a long wait in that case. I had both eyes done in July 2019 if it wasn't for the astigmatism in my left eye I wouldn't need glasses at all except to read. It wasn't worth the extra cost of fixing it and the fancy lenses to replace readers to me.
bisco (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 AM
bisco

agreed, i'm hoping by the end of 2021, early 2022. we'll see. only 65, but everything is starting to fall apart

great hobby for an old derelict, especially the chat room. nothing hurts in my easy chair.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by bisco View Post
agreed, i'm hoping by the end of 2021, early 2022. we'll see. only 65, but everything is starting to fall apart

great hobby for an old derelict, especially the chat room. nothing hurts in my easy chair.
I resemble that comment!
bisco (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:09 AM
donnyman

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well guys talking with my doctor yesterday revealed nothing of real consequence, none of which will bring about my demise just pain, lots and lots of pain. arthritis everywhere. A few days ago I had a plact test of some sort that resembled and MRI only ten minutes or so and just my mid to upper torso was scanned. I will visit my cardiologist on the 24 for a explanation of results I know all he'll say is I'm too fat. SO, I'll take a tylenol plop down at my computer and suffer.

I have reached a point Where getting a cup of coffee wears me out and I have to sit for several minutes. Gonna get me another cup!
bisco (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:28 AM
bisco

that's not fat, it's good living!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
ETpilot

Speaking of easy chairs, Iím in my easy chair now, relaxing. Of course I have to fight my 2 dogs for my share of the easy chair. They seem to want to own it. We fight often.

Iíve been off ladders for a couple of days. But, getting ready for those final 6 panel removal. Then it will be a lot easier; carpentry work.

I ordered some electronics for my latest foamy. I got an email on 9-15 saying it had shipped and included the tracking number. So far nothing from USPS. Just shows the label made awaiting the package. No telling when Iíll get my order. I try to order using UPS or FED EX. when I can. Fast delivery. USPS has gotten screwed up by someone.

You all get well. I work hard to try to keep in good shape. Especially at my age which is the fall apart break apart period.

bisco (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM
acdii

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

USPS non priority priority mail is a joke. Took 21 days to send a simple letter from SF to Omaha Nebraska. Imagine if they did mass mailing ballots how long it would take to receive them all, probably June next year. Someone said If you trust the USPS, put $500 in an envelope and mail it to yourself. Uh, I think I will stick with the real carriers, UPS and Fed Ex, though Fed Ex has issues too, for the important stuff. Supposed to be getting my new Saito tomorrow, will see.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:58 PM
bisco

fed ex delivered my sneakers to the elementary school across the street, even though the label had my correct name and address.

it wasn't until the vendor said it was delivered, and i had to track it, only to find out it was sitting on a table in the lobby, and no one bothered to give it back to fed ex.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 AM
ETpilot

Yes, it is not all perfect. I found a medicine package by my door one time. Turned out to be for my neighbor down the road. I live in the country. A good while back they went from rural PO Box home address to regular street address, for 911 system. Good for the PO but not for the other carriers. Took a while for them to find me. UPS is best for me. FED EX is next and has gotten better. Occasionally, I get a DHL delivery; a rare event.

I finally got notification that my package will arrive on Monday. I will see if that holds true. My last package was held at the distribution facility, 60 miles away, for 4 day past the delivery date. No reason given. I filed a complaint, but the package was delivered on that date. Iíll wait and see.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:02 AM
acdii

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Saito 120R3 on its way via FedEx, supposed to arrive today and good thing I looked at the tracking because they require a signature. Last time I had a sig required delivery they didn't bother to ring the bell, just posted a note and left. I have in the delivery instructions to call or text so that it can be signed, and posted a big note on my door to text me since I am downstairs and wont hear the doorbell. The last time they did this I waited all the next day, and at 6 PM got a text stating missed delivery no one home. I was in the front freaking yard all day long waiting for them. I called an ripped into them, and they finally delivered it the next day which was a saturday. When I got it the box had holes in it and appeared to have been thrown around. It was the water chiller for my laser, and when I took it out no apparent damage externally, but inside the starter capacitor had broken loose. Glad I checked before plugging it in or it would have shorted out.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Over on the British website "Model Flying," is a thread, "The Dark Nights Fix-Up 2020," which encourages modellers to repair damaged models which have been in "storage," for some time. I will be entering my Chris Olsen Uproar, the grandfather of all Stiks! It has a broken wing. The picture below shows it before the wing broke. The Uproar was the British Aerobatics champion in 1959 and runner up in the European Championship that year. Basically the OP wants us to record the progress of our repairs between 1st October 2020 and 1st April 2021. Of course you don't have to be British to enter, just register with the site and post your repairs. Could be fun!

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums...?th=167862&p=1

bisco (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 05:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Last word on the Battle of Britain. If you haven't the time to watch the whole of this little video, check out the section from 10.16 to 12.10.

Lest we foreget.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

I went to a swap meet today at a local field turn out for sellers and buyers was miserable. I did buy a NIP GP engine mount for 1.20 to 1.80 engines for $5. The only engine for sale was a DLE 20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.