Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
ETpilot
you hit on the reason I think we have been so slow to find someplace else to live, We know that it will wear us out to get rid of and move all this junk we have accumulated over the years.

Not being able to control the TV with the telephone is almost a daily occurrence here, not due to being tired but old and sleepy, we kinda zonk out between 9 and 10 in the evening and our brains go into limp mode so confusion sets in, and having three remotes and a phone doesn't help.

After four months of repairs on my motorhome we hope to have it back at the house Monday, we need it to go to Arkansas. After all the hubbub of politics and medical problems we are exhausted and need a diversion. I have been considering getting back into the shop and finish building my big bird. and I have decided (I think) to place many of the kits and planes in my shop up for sale, there is just too much stuff setting around unused and I will not live long enough to deal with it all, so I may as well build a cash nest egg for my offspring, I got a lot of stuff.
Miss Blue Eyes and I are also "zonked out" between 9 and 10 most evenings but we have stayed awake long enough to watch a series called "The Fall" about a fictitious mass murderer in Belfast. The leading actor was Gillian Anderson late of "The X-Files," who played the role of an English police superintendant from the Metropolitan Police Force transferred to Belfast because of her expertise in catching mass murderers. She was excellent as was the actor who played the part of the murderer, Jamie Dornan.

I also intend to sell a couple of kits: a 1/4 scale DB Sport & Scale SE5 and 1/6 scale Fokker DVII.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:18 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Those kits should sell fast!

After 14 days and 2 1/2 hours they got the power back on! Yesterday afternoon was spent labeling cables and extension cords, and plugging everything back into house power. Today is generator maintenance with airplanes scheduled for this weekend.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-10-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Those kits should sell fast!

After 14 days and 2 1/2 hours they got the power back on! Yesterday afternoon was spent labeling cables and extension cords, and plugging everything back into house power. Today is generator maintenance with airplanes scheduled for this weekend.
I feel confident to say you are happy to get things back to normal, that's a long time to rely on a generator. we picked up our motorhome yesterday after what seemed a eternity, the mechanic apologized for taking so long and gave me a very good discount on the bill I didn't mind paying it at all and the unit performed perfectly on the way home. Only problem is it is filthy and will need a lot of cleaning. I am hoping the weather stays nice which will make working on it much easier. but I am not confident we can get it ready for a trip to Arkansas this weekend.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Try some of those Mr. Clean magic eraser sheets they work very well.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=FlyerInOKC;12643758]Those kits should sell fast!....[QUOTE]

I also have ten metres of Dark Green Solartex which could be sold with the SE5.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:26 PM

Bearing in mind that I will be here in England for another couple of months and away from all my supplies of balsa, glue and wheels, I decided to order a DB Sport and Scale "Skyrider" plan-pack to give me something else to build once the Super 60 is complete and as a follow-on model for Trish. The plan-pack cost me over 50 , (55€ or $65 US, ) once you'd taken the postage into account. Not having access to my stocks, I was forced to buy some balsa and ply from a local model shop as well as a few other bits and pieces. That cost me another 50!

No wonder ARTFs are so popular!
Old 11-11-2020, 02:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Flyer, wow 14 days on generator power is extreme. Storm must have done extensive damage. One week for me is my max outage time. I like that Honda generator. Too expensive for my needs. My generator needs have been all just short term use so far. It is by the barn now. I lost the key to the welding trailer lock so I have to cut the lock off. Later weld up a new wheel set up for the generator.

Donny, you need to get that motor home going. The tree leaves in my area are turning colors, just beautiful. Those up in Arkansas will be brilliant. You have to go see and enjoy them.

David, the challenge of the build does more for me than the flying. I just love to build things. Enjoy your build. I have 2 foamies built but not completed. No time right now. With the move from Florida I now have lost my hangar in the spare bedroom. Airplanes evicted. I have to build racks and move them to the workshop. Hang them from the roof truss. Lots going on for me.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:42 AM

The ice storm was the second worse storm for damage to the electrical utility on record! I bought the Honda last year after we had a wind storm tear up the house and I loss the meter box off the house.
David, I still say buying an ARF is like kissing your sister, yeah you could do it but what's the point? Friends don't let friends buy ARFs!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:38 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

70 MPH straight line winds yesterday.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:42 AM

Wow! That is some strong wind! Are you going to try to fix it yourself or call a roofer? I got good news I had a contractor out yesterday to inspect the roof and in spite of the mountain of fallen tree limbs I had no damage. The front gutter is a little bent up but I thought I would take a body hammer and dolly to it and straighten it out myself.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:08 AM

Depends on the extent of damage. If it's only a square of shingles I will do it myself, but of the rest of the roof has damage, then will call the insurance company. I have a $2500 deductible, so if its just this little bit, not worth it. I did have water damage inside, my kitchen slowly got destroyed, and now I can't get the cabinets anymore to replace the damaged ones, so have to gut the kitchen. Didn't see the damage until some floor tiles started cracking, then found the back of the cabinet had expanded from water. Had to empty out the cabinet to see it. I put hundreds of hours remodeling the kitchen all by myself, removed a french door, built an exterior wall and put a window in, ran new plumbing from one side to the other, new electric, put in an island with a downdraft hood and big 5 burner cooktop. And now the entire window wall side is destroyed. The water came in from a poorly constructed room addition valley, it missed the gutter, ran under the eave, and entered through the soffit. The room addition eave is higher than the main house eave, so no way to prevent it.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:34 AM

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear all that hard work on the kitchen being destroyed.

About six months after my current roof was installed I had a small roof leak show up around the chimney. I was fortunate in the hallway is on the back side of the chimney had the water ran down the return air duct so I caught the leak right off the bat before the ceiling was ruined. Better lucky then smart! I called the contractor and they had two guys out the next day to inspect the leak and they immediately started re-flashing the chimney. I was surprised how far back they peeled the shingles back to installed a self sealing membrane and re-shingle. They must have been told by their boss he didn't want see any leaks after that.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
What computer problem? We should be able to get you going under your original account.
After having "refreshed" my lap top on Firefox's advice I found that I could not access my gmail account. I couldn't remember the password. I normally use a password which is easy to remember like the date of birth of close relatives but none of those worked. I expect that I'd had some problems in the past and Google issued me with a computer generated password which I'd failed to note down or remember.

Furthermore,I used to have an internet and mobile phone account with a company called Orange but they stopped providing email services in the UK some time ago. Consequently I changed to a Google account for my mobile phone, but my email acccount with Google, though it had my new mobile phone number still had my old internet address.I'd obviously never updated it. We tried lots of things but gmail thought that I was an imposter trying to hack my account. I even took the problem to a computer programmer but he couldn't help and suggested setting up a new gmail account. So I did.

As far as aeromodelling sites are concerned, I found that RC Groups and Facebook remained unaffected. I could access the British site Model Flying and I could read the posts of others but not post myself and as for RC Universe I could not access the site at all!

Still, all's well that ends well.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:05 AM

If you treat it as a minor annoyance then it just doesn't matter.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

Happy Veterans Day to any fellow vets.
USN AT-1

Old 11-11-2020, 11:55 PM

Yesterday was the centenary of the internment of The Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey, London.

In 1920, an unidentifiable soldier's body was disinterred from a cemetery in France and brought to London and re-buried in the Abbey amongst kings and poets, the Great and the Good. King George threw a handful of the soil of France onto the coffin.

The present queen's mother, on her wedding day, placed her bridal bouquet on the tomb. Since then, every royal bride who has been married in the abbey has left her bridal bouquet on the tomb.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...-d&safe=strict
Old 11-12-2020, 04:52 PM

A very nice touch!
Old 11-13-2020, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
A very nice touch!
A few days ago the Queen left a replica of her bridal bouquet on the tomb as a part of the centennial commemorations.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:49 AM

Good for Liz! Let us not forget the Queen is a Veteran too!

I got a letter from the cemetery my father is in and found out a medallion could be added to his headstone marking him as a WWII Veteran. They helped me with the paperwork too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bronze_medallion_image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2268620
Old 11-13-2020, 10:32 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Mike, My father is buried in his home town of Oswego Kansas and because he was in the US army during the Korean war the VA had a plaque installed on the back of his grave stone noting his service. He was in Indiana Nation Guard which was deployed to Germany from 1950 to 1951. it was a nice feature and he would be proud of It.
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 11-13-2020, 01:42 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey, friends! (Well.... I think of most of you as friends, anyway!) You may (or may not) have noticed that I haven't been around to bother y'all for almost a week now. That's because: I get to make an addition to the 'health problems' sub-thread running through here. It's true: getting older isn't for sissies!
But anyway:
Last Friday, 11-6-2020, I took the day off (pre-approved) and got most of the leaves bagged and into the trailer. Saturday morning I hooked the trailer up to the Trailblazer and took it all to the landfill. Came home and unhooked the trailer, and spent most of the afternoon running errands. The remainder of the afternoon was spent working on the model railroad layout. I felt just fine... up until about 7:00 that evening. At about that time I gradually started feeling uncomfortable in my lower right side. I thought maybe it was just indigestion or gas. Then it really started to HURT! I went into the bathroom and discovered a definite bulge in my side, down low around the level of my hip joint. I told my wife she was going to need to take me to the emergency room. By this time the pain was growing quite intense. We got to the ER at around 8:00. They looked me over, and at around 11:30 PM they wheeled me into the operating room for surgery on a strangulating hernia. They said I was in the OR for about 3 hours. They had to remove about 4" of my small intestine that was turning purple and dying. They also repaired an umbilical hernia I wasn't even aware of! So now I have an incision in my right groin area, and a 4" long 'S' incision running through my abdominal area. I'm supposed to have the sutures removed from the groin incision, and the staples removed from my tummy incision, next Friday, 11-20.
I spent almost exactly 5 days in the hospital, from the time we got to the ER until my wife got there to pick me up. I was discharged last night, 11-12. It felt soooooooooooo good to sleep in my own bed last night and not being woken up every few hours because the nurses had to do something! I was on a clear liquid diet from Sunday morning until suppertime on Wednesday. I will never eat Jello again (unless it's cherry flavored with Cool-Whip and little marshmallows in it) !
I'm feeling pretty good, other than lack of energy and some soreness around my tummy. I don't really have any pain otherwise. I have to take it easy for a while, no lifting over 10 lbs. until cleared by the doctor. I have an appointment to have my incision closure devices removed on the 20th, then an appointment with my regular doctor on the 25th (the day before Thanksgiving). So I'll be off work until the 30th, at least, because the whole plant will be shut down on the 26-27th. After I get back it'll probably be light duty for a while.So that's why I haven't been around to torment y'all for the past week.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:05 PM

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

When I was 18, I had to come home from work because I wasn't feeling well. Got worse at home. Went to take a leak and saw a bump sticking up just under the beltline. When I gave a urine sample at the hospital, the bump went away. Lost a lot of body modesty that week.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum
Lost a lot of body modesty that week.
I know what you mean!
Old 11-13-2020, 06:42 PM

At our age, modesty, schmodesty, just be thankful things still somewhat function! Glad to hear you are doing well, My friend at work had the same thing happen.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I have an appointment to have my incision closure devices removed on the 20th, then an appointment with my regular doctor on the 25th (the day before Thanksgiving). So I'll be off work until the 30th, at least, because the whole plant will be shut down on the 26-27th. After I get back it'll probably be light duty for a while.So that's why I haven't been around to torment y'all for the past week.
Wait until about the 18th or 19th by then the staples will be pulling and then you can't wait to get them out. I have staples inside in a couple of places I still feel them from time to time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.