Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-22-2020, 07:39 AM

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

After waiting four months to get my unit back I am reluctant to take it back for more work I will attempt repairs myself. I believe one of my transfer relays has frozen There is no power coming into the unit from the landline or the generator, and one can hear the solenoids/relays when they function mine are silent so out they come. I wonder if heavier duty solenoids can be gotten. OEM parts are generally of low quality in these units. As much work and parts I have put into this unit I am convinced I bought a real dog and I am in the process of reviving it. when this thing is doing it's job properly it is a real pleasure and convenience.

I think diesels are fine for many applications, my farm tractor is diesel but for the one reason you mention --don't let it run out of gas--- I will not use one for open road use.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is what I bought this year to replace the Coleman I sold in June. We bought the truck last year because we were looking to upgrade the trailer, the truck made it much easier to choose a trailer.

The following users liked this post:
bisco (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

wow, a luxury hotel on wheels!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

Nice trailer! What is your mileage when you are pulling it?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:50 AM

Pretty much. has a bunk room with a queen sleeper sofa and bunk above, above that a queen loft, at the rear is a queen sleeper sofa, and in the front a King bed. https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...3660SUITE/4824

It's in for repairs at the moment, one slide has a 1/4" gap at the top of the rear seal that can allow water to get in if the rain hits it at the right angle. The 12v Reefer may also get replaced, the freezer tends to melt more than freeze. For what I paid for it, it's about what one would expect out of it. Heck I have seen $80K trailer with far worse issues. Paid $42K for it brand new.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Nice trailer! What is your mileage when you are pulling it?

10.5 - 13 depending on speed. Interstate it pulls nicely at 73MPH, if I travel rural highway doing 60 it gets 13. My F150 with the old Coleman got about 9. Went from 12,000 GCW to 22,000 GCW.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:54 AM

So you get a nice bump on space and mileage, way to go! Is the truck Gas or Diesel?
Old 11-22-2020, 11:07 AM

Deleted 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel. Didn't know it was deleted until after I got it home and looked at the exhaust system since I never saw what the DPF looked like and found a straight 5" pipe front to back. Didn't even dawn on me at the time that it would have been deleted. IOW no DEF needed. Runs really good too.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
After waiting four months to get my unit back I am reluctant to take it back for more work I will attempt repairs myself. I believe one of my transfer relays has frozen There is no power coming into the unit from the landline or the generator, and one can hear the solenoids/relays when they function mine are silent so out they come. I wonder if heavier duty solenoids can be gotten. OEM parts are generally of low quality in these units. As much work and parts I have put into this unit I am convinced I bought a real dog and I am in the process of reviving it. when this thing is doing it's job properly it is a real pleasure and convenience.

I think diesels are fine for many applications, my farm tractor is diesel but for the one reason you mention --don't let it run out of gas--- I will not use one for open road use.

Donny before pulling things you need to do some troubleshooting. See what you have. Test to see if solenoid/ relay is stuck on. Check to see if the trigger circuit is getting constant power keeping them on. You can remove the wiring and test the relay function to see if they are good. If they are good then the problem is somewhere else. Electricity works in mysterious ways sometimes.

I had a situation where my tractor starter was stuck on. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Troubleshooting, the starter/solenoid checked out good. So I had to trace the wiring. I found a wire that had insulation worn off due to vibration and was making contact with the tractor frame thus energizing the starter. A little electrical tape and tie wrap to secure the wire and it was fixed. Troubleshoot first, fix later.

My Dodge Ram Truck is my first and only diesel truck. I bought it, new, in 1995. New to diesel I had a lot to learn. It is an amazing truck. Too good to replace. 366,000 mile and still on its first clutch, amazing. I know it well now.

Running out of fuel was a dumb on duty situation LOL

acdii, that is a beautiful trailer. I followed the link you posted and took the video tour. Wow, all the comforts of home and on the road. I can handle that.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:03 AM

It's destined to be our retirement home on the road. At some point we will get rid of the house and all the junk accumulated over time, hit the road, and move around until we find the perfect spot to drop the trailer. Hopefully by that time it will be easier to get a home base registration for vehicle plates and mailing address. I know one thing for sure, I want to get out of this damned tax to death state of IL. Thankfully the progressive tax was shot down on the 3rd. Would have had even more yes votes had they actually put on the ballot that the change to the constitution was the progressive tax bill. That was one very bad idea punkin head came up with and fooled a lot of people. It is for setting up tax brackets, those making over $400K pay a higher rate, then the next group pay a slightly lower rate all the way down to those making less than 25K a year pay the lowest rate. Sounds great, until you actually read the bill and find out they can slide the brackets anywhere they want at any time they want as the rich leave the state. Right now IL has a fixed tax rate for all, and has to be voted on to raise it given the people the voice, the PT bill would take that away from us. Once people understood that, they were VERY against it. Pretty Sneaky what he did.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 AM

Check out the mail forwarding places in Florida. You rent a mail box and you get a physical address that looks like an apartment number to be used as your permanent address. You pay a fee and they FedEx your mail to where ever you are for a small fee. Then you register your vehicles and trailer in Florida. You are now a resident of Florida. My brother lives on a lake in Oklahoma now but is still a Florida resident and has been for 6 years. He did this after selling his house right after retiring and by an RV Van. They traveled a lot the first 6 months after that they started tapering off until they found their lake place, a double wide sitting on a permanent foundation. They sold the RV a few years later and added a garage to the property for the car. My brother bought a Tesla and added solar panels to the house. I thought that was a little excessive I don't think he will ever make the cost back. I like the Tesla though great driving car with a hue amount of power.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:29 AM

At least he is Epocolypse ready with the solar panels!
Old 11-23-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
At least he is Epocolypse ready with the solar panels!
Considering the number of power failures and their length over the last several years I'm starting to think he had a good idea!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

My faithfull old VW 2.5 litre diesel van failed to start yesterday for the first time in five years, mind you I'd only used it once since 28th September so the battery was unsurprisingly flat!

The trick with diesels is not too let the fuel level drop too far. Whenever the fuel guage registers 1/4 full I fill the tank.

Going into town later to buy a set of jump leads.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 AM

Are you sure Miss Blue Eyes didn't disconnect the battery to get you out of the house for 5 minutes of peace and quiet?
Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you sure Miss Blue Eyes didn't disconnect the battery to get you out of the house for 5 minutes of peace and quiet?
Women can be sneaky like that!
Old 11-25-2020, 07:02 AM

Hey Donny, I still have you in mind for those retracts, just waiting on the right time.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:16 PM

Yesterday was supposed to be a nice sunny day. Threat of rain later in the night. Well it started windy so no chance to maiden my foamy. I, instead, just cut the runway. The weather was changing fast and by noon it was overcast, misty and sprinkles started falling. Cold weather ahead so I decided to move firewood to my wood rack to keep it dry. By the time I finished a cold wet rain was falling. The rainy weather forecast arrived early.

I went to bed and heard the front passing through. Sometime in the morning I looked at my phone to see the time and I read a notification, I was without power. Good, I can just sleep through it.

Well no, morning comes still no power. I had to make coffee on the BBQ grill. I then get a notification power is restored. But, I still have no power. I called in and was informed my area still had a problem. A few more hours to fix. Waiting I decide to get the generator from the barn and move it to the house, just in case. It was now about 7.5 hours with no power. So I turned a switch for an outside light I could see from the barn just in case. After I pulled the generator out, which doesnít roll easily on dirt and grass due to one wheel, I looked and the outside light was on. So I left everything as is and went back to the house. This storm system was a lot stronger than I expected. Thousands without power. There are days like this. This one wasnít too bad.

Iím spending the rest of the day baking bread and preparing a dinner. Having a spanish Thanksgiving meal tomorrow by myself. My wife is in Florida with the house. We do have a contract on it. They want to close fast so set, if all goes well, for December 23rd. I see myself flying back to Orlando, renting another U-Haul truck, loading and driving back Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Lots going on here.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:07 PM

I just have to ask, what is on the menu for a Spanish Thanksgiving?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:51 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I just have to ask, what is on the menu for a Spanish Thanksgiving?
Turkey tortillas?
Old 11-26-2020, 03:52 AM

Flyer, you had to ask!!

It is not the typical Thanksgiving meal which is mainly Turkey or Roast Pork. This is a meal I prepare for myself because my wife does not like it.

It is called Tasajo. I find it in some of the Spanish markets in Florida. A dried very hard and very salted beef. Iíve had it in water since Tuesday to remove the salt. Pressure cook to soften, cut into pieces and pound into a shredded mess. Then cook with sauce and spices. Served along with rice with pigeon peas and salad. No dessert this time. Also Cuban bread I baked. Canít wait.

You all have a Happy Thanksgiving and take care.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:23 AM

Just think of all the Mexican meals for Turkey day. Turkey Tacos, Turkey Tostadas, Tomatillo Turkey, Turkey enchiladas, Turkey Tamales, Turkey taquitos, Turkey Tortas.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Flyer, you had to ask!!

It is not the typical Thanksgiving meal which is mainly Turkey or Roast Pork. This is a meal I prepare for myself because my wife does not like it.

It is called Tasajo. I find it in some of the Spanish markets in Florida. A dried very hard and very salted beef. Iíve had it in water since Tuesday to remove the salt. Pressure cook to soften, cut into pieces and pound into a shredded mess. Then cook with sauce and spices. Served along with rice with pigeon peas and salad. No dessert this time. Also Cuban bread I baked. Canít wait.

You all have a Happy Thanksgiving and take care.
Originally Posted by acdii
Just think of all the Mexican meals for Turkey day. Turkey Tacos, Turkey Tostadas, Tomatillo Turkey, Turkey enchiladas, Turkey Tamales, Turkey taquitos, Turkey Tortas.
It all sounds yummy!
Old 11-26-2020, 08:31 AM

so...did you catch the bubba gump I did there?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:17 AM

It all sounds yummy!
Ďit was Yummy!

I have enough left over for a second helping today. Yum yum!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.