Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 08:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

A lot of manufacturers are using "big thick plastic cover on top of the engine and another plastic under-tray beneath it" on there cars to discourage you from even looking at the powertrain. My guess is they will say it is better to control airflow around the engine but really they figure out of sight out of mind and you'll be encouraged to take it back to the dealer.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:25 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There actually is a lot of truth behind aerodynamics and engine bay covers. The underbelly covers play a significant role in drag reduction. The engine covers help with heat control too. When I pulled the front bumper off my F150 to install tow hooks, I found a lot of parts behind it designed to redirect airflow. Just above the bumper on each side and below the headlight trim there is a duct that moves frontal air and directs it to flow around the front tires. There are also flaps in front of the rear tire to direct the airflow downward so it doesn't impact the tire treads dead on, but to flow around and under the tires. Heck even the design of the tailgate is for air flow and drag reduction. By themselves they don't mean much, but add them all together and you are talking about 1-5 MPG increases.

If you do pull the top cover off, there really isn't much to see either, majority of sensors are buried around the block, and with engines being direct fired, there is no distributer or wires anymore, all there is to see if the throttle body and the intakes. Everything else is under the valve covers.

Now my Diesel, that's a different story. There is a lot to see, but you have to get past the intake pipes first. I have a CP4 disaster prevention kit on the way that attaches to the Top engine fuel filter, replacing the line to the fuel pump, a fitting that replaces a part on the pump and a return line with filter that attaches tot he return line to the tank. The most important part is the part that is replaced on the pump. It isolates the crankcase of the fuel pump from the fuel going to the injectors. The return filter is to catch any debris in case the pump does consume itself.

The CP4 pump on Powerstrokes and a few other engines has a nasty habit of delaminating if water gets in the fuel. The crankcase is lubricated by the diesel fuel and the pump design uses the same fuel for the pump itself, so when the crank case starts peeling, those particles wind up taking out the injectors as well. The pump is only like $400-500, but the repairs are upwards to $10,000 because everything from the pump to the cylinders has to be replaced. You cannot reuse the piping either its a torque to yield type, one and done, and they are not cheap. Way I see it, $430 for the disaster kit is a lot less expensive than the entire fuel system.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:53 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
In 2002, having watched my best friend slowly dying of leukaemia
My condolences to you. I know how hard it is to watch your best friend die slowly. I met my best friend on Sept. 4th, 1967. It was the first day of kindergarten. We were practically inseparable from then on. He died on January 30, 1995 at age 32 after an illness that lasted 1-1/2 years. I still miss him. They say that time heals al wounds. BS!
Old 03-25-2021, 10:54 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I have similar feelings about purchasing rental vehicles,as this is my second rental purchase the first was just fine. I hope this thing does not let me down.

The estimate of repair is less than $2000 thus far on my rogue but it hasn't been torn down so that can change, we will take it in tomorrow. the windshield crack is going to be repaired? I am a bit skeptical but the repair method is supposed to be permanent (we'll see)

I don't ever intend to work on this vehicle because my body wont let me so I will keep my fingers crossed in hopes for the best

Now maybe I can get back to patching up the house.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'll b et the labor rate for a diesel mechanic is a little higher than a gasoline engine mechanic too! The disaster kit sounds like cheap insurance to me. I got a call from No. 1 son in Chicago. He wanted to see what future plans we have so he and his wife can come down and buy a new car. He has an older Honda CRV with over a 170K that is starting to develop maintenance issues and they want to trade it in for a 2021 CRV Hybrid. He says he can save at least $2K buying it here. We said come on anytime after Easter.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:00 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

When my friend Michael Harker, mentioned in 9475, was still alive but getting weaker from the effects of leukaemia, he expressed an interest in building a model aeroplane. He'd had shares in a real Druine Turbulent and he'd had a Private Pilot's Licence but could no longer fly owing to the illness and he'd never built a model aeroplane before. However, he was extremely practical and I suggested several models suitable for a beginner but Michael fancied something more challenging, a scale model of the HM 18 Flying Flea! This was an experimental home-built aircraft from the 1930s in which the tailplane was stationary and pitch control was affected by slight changes in the angle of attack of the mainplane. I flew an electric powered version of the model at a vintage meeting in England a few years ago. I hasten to add that I had not built that model, neither did I own it, another pilot offered me a go on the sticks and it flew like a trainer.

After he died, Michael's widow gave me a cardboard box with most of the parts cut out for the model. I still have the box with all of the parts and the plan. Next year it will be twenty years since Michael died. I plan to finish the model. I have a nice OS 40 Surpass which will suit it very well. Plan details here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12222

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-26-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, it sounds like the Flea will make a great project. Now all you need is a pilot bust in Michael's likeness!
Old 03-26-2021, 10:50 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
David, it sounds like the Flea will make a great project. Now all you need is a pilot bust in Michael's likeness!
A replica of Michael in the cockpit? I think that would be a step too far, besides, as it's such an unconventional aircraft I have visions of crashing it on the first flight!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-27-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
A replica of Michael in the cockpit? I think that would be a step too far, besides, as it's such an unconventioanl aircraft I have visions of crashing it on the first flight!
Its not a crash just an early expiration date on the airplane and a way to free up hanger space!
Old 03-27-2021, 07:10 AM
acdii

OK you Texans and others in that local, we are starting our vacation planning, and texas has come up a few times. Avoiding the cities, what time of year is the best when no so damned hot you don't want to leave the AC and what areas are best to explore but not touristy? It's either that or another trip to Utah.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:03 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
OK you Texans and others in that local, we are starting our vacation planning, and texas has come up a few times. Avoiding the cities, what time of year is the best when no so damned hot you don't want to leave the AC and what areas are best to explore but not touristy? It's either that or another trip to Utah.
It may seem strange but I haven't paid much attention the the things you ask about , but It appears to me the time is now, before the high heat arrives, so much is happens year round here and getting worse? I am confused. best check with the tourist bureau and time your visit around scheduled events, this place can be a mad house. especially the Austin area.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:13 PM
acdii

I would much prefere this time of year, but the kids are in indoctrination, er I mean school .
Old 03-28-2021, 01:04 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Here in central France we are allowed to fly providing that we observe social distancing and that we are all home before the 7 o'clock evening curfew. I took two models to the flying field yesterday afternoon: a foamy trainer which I'd just repaired and my Baron, a simple three channel iconic French trainer with which I will compete in la Coupe Des Barons on 12th June, Covid restrictions permitting. I test flew the foamy prior to taking up novices on it, then it was the turn of the Baron.

We will be taking a team of six down to the competition and the club president Roger Aubard was airborn with his Baron as I took off. After I'd gained altitude he told me that he was going to attack me. I put my model into a tight left-hand turn and after a few turns succeeded in getting behind his model uttering rat-a tat-tat-tat noises at the same time!

Do we ever grow up?

I was particularly pleased as Roger's model was fitted with an OS 35 AX, the favoured engine of hot shot pilots at La Coupe while mine had an old Thunder Tiger 54 fourstroke and he had often competed in the French nationals and I'm not that standard!

Old 03-28-2021, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

So Roger went down in flames, metaphorically. I'm sure he will be gunning for you next time!
Old 03-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi donneyman;

Re Purchasing Rental Cars: over the past 41 years, I have purchased 4 rental cars, all from Rental Car Agencies; 1 from Avis Car Rental/Sales Division, a 79 Chevy Caprice, drove it for almost 100K trouble free miles. Then 3 more cars from Enterprise Car Rental/ Sale division. an '08 or '09 Nissan Armada, a huge SUV/Model Aircraft Carrier, wonderful vehicle, traded it in at same Enterprise outlet for a '13 Infinity QX56, a beautiful luxury SUV/twin Bro to the Armada, also a great big RC aircraft carrier; and finally from the same Enterprise outlet, I treated myself to my first and only 2 seater sports car, an '03 Mercedes SL500, a beautiful but very complicated little car, with just too much electronics for me, had 2 12 volt batteries, $800 for the pair, [Yikes!]. However, the secret herein: All of these cars were warranteed for 12 months by the Sellers, + I paid extra for 4 year extended warrantees, for each of the cars; only needed to use the warantees on the little Mercedes: to replace a damaged front tire, the 2 matched set batteries, and a pair of very expensive hydrallic engine mounts.

These cars all gave me excellant service, and would buy from Rental car/sales division again, anytime, but always pay for the extended warranty, just in case. as car repairs these days cost a fortune, so bewares. Dat's all I gots today, best regards from Wickenburg, AZ,

Joe Nagy.......[Got both Vaccine shots finally..Yeah!}
Old 04-01-2021, 09:13 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Nagy
Hi donneyman;

Re Purchasing Rental Cars: over the past 41 years, I have purchased 4 rental cars, all from Rental Car Agencies; 1 from Avis Car Rental/Sales Division, a 79 Chevy Caprice, drove it for almost 100K trouble free miles. Then 3 more cars from Enterprise Car Rental/ Sale division. an '08 or '09 Nissan Armada, a huge SUV/Model Aircraft Carrier, wonderful vehicle, traded it in at same Enterprise outlet for a '13 Infinity QX56, a beautiful luxury SUV/twin Bro to the Armada, also a great big RC aircraft carrier; and finally from the same Enterprise outlet, I treated myself to my first and only 2 seater sports car, an '03 Mercedes SL500, a beautiful but very complicated little car, with just too much electronics for me, had 2 12 volt batteries, $800 for the pair, [Yikes!]. However, the secret herein: All of these cars were warranteed for 12 months by the Sellers, + I paid extra for 4 year extended warrantees, for each of the cars; only needed to use the warantees on the little Mercedes: to replace a damaged front tire, the 2 matched set batteries, and a pair of very expensive hydrallic engine mounts.

These cars all gave me excellant service, and would buy from Rental car/sales division again, anytime, but always pay for the extended warranty, just in case. as car repairs these days cost a fortune, so bewares. Dat's all I gots today, best regards from Wickenburg, AZ,

Joe Nagy.......[Got both Vaccine shots finally..Yeah!}
We recently got our first vaccine shots also our second shot is due in a week or so.
we picked up our new to us rental purchase from the repair shop yesterday and it looks fantastic, even the crack in the windshield was very hard to find. Like you we have had little to no problems with cars purchased from rental companies and now we are being bombarded to buy a extended warranty policy for it. I will do some serious shopping for the best deal. I am too old to do car repairs like in the past. I have no idea what these policies cost.

Now all I need is to get reimbursed from the Hartford insurance company for my expenses and things may settle down a bit.
A long time friend just emailed me that he got a Nosen p-51 kit. If he is like me it will be a million years before he completes building it, that's a lot of balsa.

By the way we have been looking at the map considering possibly purchasing land in you area we just don't seem to be able to decide.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-01-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Donny the on question you want to ask is if the warranty covers tear down to determine the problem. I know two people that got hit paying for that because the car warranty didn't cover it.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:57 AM
donnyman

Hey Donny the on question you want to ask is if the warranty covers tear down to determine the problem. I know two people that got hit paying for that because the car warranty didn't cover it.
Thanks, I heard something about that also, will keep it in mind. ........................ seems everything is a ripoff.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

At 73 I realise that I am not going to live long enough to build every plan I have. I'm not even going to live long enough to build every plan I've retained! So I have so have sorted out the following thirteen which I am willing to give away free of charge, for the cost of the postage from the middle of France. All wingspans are accurate to with 1/2 inch. The plans have never been used though there are one or two small tears in a few of them, but nothing to stop you building from them. Those modellers more used to the Metric System please mutiply by 2.54 for the wingspans in centimetres.
  1. Ilyushin IL2. Doug March. 80".
  2. Sawdust. Chris Foss. 35". N.B. This plan has been downloaded from The Outerzone and printed onto several A4 sheets.
  3. Luscomber Silvaire. Mike Lovel Designs. 80" with instructions.
  4. Sopwith One and a Half Strutter. Dale Tattam. 79." Scale WW1 aircraft.
  5. Taylorcraft 057. Ben Buckle Plan. 71."
  6. STOL Mark 2. Peter Russell. 55."
  7. ZY400. Nigel Bathe. 60" electric powered glider.
  8. Bristol Scout. D. Wormesley. 54" Scale WW1 aircraft.
  9. Pisces. M. Reynolds. Flying wing. May be fitted with an electric motor or small i/c engine. 72."
  10. BE2c. David Hurrell. 74." Scale WW1 aircraft.
  11. Aeronca Champion. Don Stothers. 71."
  12. ABC Robin. Phil Kent. 51." Scale interwars light aircraft.
  13. Waveguide. Burton and Woods. 62" vintage model.
PM me if interested.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, I'm younger than you are and I am in the same position!

Mike
Old 04-05-2021, 05:57 AM
acdii

I pretty much knew going into it that I would never be able to do all the planes I wanted, so just got a few on the shelves. Other than 2 planes that were for others, they are easy builds, can be done is a couple weekends, everything I have are complex, long term builds. Finishing up one, the Corsair, should be done by this weekend. Then I need to finish the B-25 and P-51B, both are constructed, and in the finishing stage, which takes the longest, with the glassing, and sanding, and filling and sanding and priming and sanding. The only other kit I have left is the P-61. Everything else are plans. I will be making short kits from all of the plans as well as hand made 1/8th scale plans for a B-17E with the F/G options.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

David, I'm younger than you are and I am in the same position!

Mike
I thought I might as well get rid of them, saves taking them back to England or having my loved ones throw them away when I die!

I put the same post on a well-known social media website and was immediately swamped with offers. So far I have got rid of all of the scale plans except the Sopwith and the ABC.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Cool!

I got to thinking and decided to inventory my projects. Plans have not been included because I'll probably be dead and never get to them or half of the projects listed below!.
Current projects

Ryan SC-W

Ken Willard Sunday Fighter Fokker Heinschmidt

Planes in need of finishing

Top Flite Cessna 185

Top Flite .60 size Corsair

Goldberg Tiger II

House of Balsa AT-6

House of Balsa P-51D

J-3 Cub of unknown design

Shortkits

Musicano Ryan Navion modified for retracts

Ziroli Staggerwing reduced to 75% of original design.

Caddell A36 Bonanza

Brian Taylor Spitfire MK 1a

Fournier FD-4

Zeppelin - Dornier D1

Sopwith Baby

Globe Swift

Kits

SIG Maxey Hester’s Ryan STA Special (arrives Friday)

Midwest Aero Star

Top Flite P-51D Mustang Gold Edition

Top Flite P-51D Sea Fury Gold Edition (If a friend doesn’t convince me to sell it)

Graupner Junker J-52

Dumas DH89 Rapide

Ace R/C Simple Series Staggerwing
Old 04-06-2021, 01:19 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm 6 years David's junior, got close to 40 unbuilt kits, will probably have to downsize in near future, to live closer to one of our children.

If we lose or are further restricted on the privilege to fly R/C here in US, the rubber powered and C/L will probably be where I'll concentrate on.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

AT least the F/F and C/L are smaller projects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.