Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-06-2021, 05:06 AM
acdii

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

How big are the Sea Fury plans? That's one I haven't found a manual on yet for my collection.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
How big are the Sea Fury plans? That's one I haven't found a manual on yet for my collection.
Let see if I can attach the manuals to this post. I have electronic versions of the kit manual and the cockpit kit manual. I haven't unrolled the plans but they are big.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sea Fury topa0155-manual.pdf (3.84 MB, 5 views)
Old 04-06-2021, 06:29 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Let see if I can attach the manuals to this post. I have electronic versions of the kit manual and the cockpit kit manual. I haven't unrolled the plans but they are big.
Cool, good find on the digitals. You don't need to unroll the plans, I was just wondering if they are 36" or less. Both the Corsair .60 and the P-51 .60 plans are over 36" and don't fit in my scanner. I have to figure out how to scan and stitch them back together to make printable copies.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Cool, good find on the digitals. You don't need to unroll the plans, I was just wondering if they are 36" or less. Both the Corsair .60 and the P-51 .60 plans are over 36" and don't fit in my scanner. I have to figure out how to scan and stitch them back together to make printable copies.
I will measure the box later and let you know. The plans just fit inside the box.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:34 AM
karitas44jr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your title is a little misleading in that it sounds like you want people 50 and over to participate rather than those who have been modeling for 50+ years. I'm only 58 but stil remember some of the good old days before CA and monokote.
The following users liked this post:
flyboy2610 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 AM
donnyman

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
I thought I might as well get rid of them, saves taking them back to England or having my loved ones throw them away when I die!

I put the same post on a well-known social media website and was immediately swamped with offers. So far I have got rid of all of the scale plans except the Sopwith and the ABC.
You have a excellent Idea here, I have more plans on paper and digital than I can count, hundreds, digitals plans will be free, paper drawings at my cost plus postage (cheap) not sure how to list them. for now let me know your needs.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 AM
donnyman

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by karitas44jr View Post
I think your title is a little misleading in that it sounds like you want people 50 and over to participate rather than those who have been modeling for 50+ years. I'm only 58 but stil remember some of the good old days before CA and monokote.
No one will check your credentials ................... you qualify!
Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like they were so narrow minded they can see thru a keyhole with both eyes at the same time!
Old 04-06-2021, 03:27 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karitas44jr View Post
I'm 59 and they let ME in! How picky can they be?
Old 04-06-2021, 04:06 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

AT least the F/F and C/L are smaller projects.
They are fun projects. The smaller Comet I built several times over the years, starting with when I was 10 or 11 years old. First was the Ryan SC, simplified scale, in standard Comet black tissue. I also learned to dope the tissue after shrinking with water with clear dope. It would shrink up nice and taut, wouldn't sag when the humidity got high, which was common since the beach was only a half mile from us. Those Comets came with a tiny 3.5" prop with hardly any width to bite the air from the rubber motor, looked more like glow props.

My favorite out of the little ones is the Bellanca Jr. It looks rather scant but built into a very pretty looking aircraft. Later I found I could shave the 0.5"x0.125" wing trailing edge to a tapered triangle, which reduced weight further. They fly better if one takes a larger standard prop and cut the diameter down. They'd probably make decent R/C sport aircraft if tripled in size to 48" wingspan, the Bellanca would be a knockoff counterpart to the Robin Hood .10 or .25 sport stand-way-off-scale aircraft.

However, since I am heavily involved with charitable work as a volunteer, haven't been spending as much time in the hobby.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:34 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler View Post
They are fun projects. The smaller Comet I built several times over the years, starting with when I was 10 or 11 years old. First was the Ryan SC, simplified scale, in standard Comet black tissue. I also learned to dope the tissue after shrinking with water with clear dope. It would shrink up nice and taut, wouldn't sag when the humidity got high, which was common since the beach was only a half mile from us. Those Comets came with a tiny 3.5" prop with hardly any width to bite the air from the rubber motor, looked more like glow props.
The Comet kit was my first too! I'm building a 15th scale Ryan SC-W now.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need the Help of Dave in UK: re John Woodfield Glider

Hi Dave:

Over the past weekend was browsing RC Gliders on the net, as I am currently building a Bill Evans design called the WINTERHAWK, a simple foam wing, rugged glider; whereupon I came onto a video site with one of your fellow UK Countryman, John WoodField slope soaring some simply beautiful classic looking gliders, one of which 'stole my heart', called the TORPEDO. I searched for plans for John's designs, to no avail, but did find a reference to an article about his designs in the Aug. '20 issue of your English Magazine , RCM&E, no plans, just a writeup, and there is a small photo of John on the cover holding the said TORPEDO.

I would dearly request of you, if you could, once you get back UK side from France, see if any of John Woodfield's glider plans have been published or if same are available, as I would sincerely like to purchase plans or kits of his designs, especially theTORPEDO. I know how you feel about your GUFF design, well, John's TORPEDO has plucked my heartstrings; what can I say?

So Dave, that is my new assignment for you: John Woodfield's TORPEDO design plans or kit for your little Friend in Arizona, USA. And yes, of course, you will be richly rewarded for same. Many thanx to you in advance for your efforts, and best regards from very warm Wickenburg, Arizona,

Little Joey Nagy. eMail: [email protected]
Old 04-07-2021, 05:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

I can understand your feels about the glider, I feel the same about the Ryan SC-W I'm building. I also have a Fournier RF-4D plans and short kit to build. Being in the great plains state of Oklahoma isn't conducive to glider flying. I don't want to be dependent on a tow plane so a powered glide was just the ticket.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:39 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Nagy View Post
Hi Dave:

Over the past weekend was browsing RC Gliders on the net, as I am currently building a Bill Evans design called the WINTERHAWK, a simple foam wing, rugged glider; whereupon I came onto a video site with one of your fellow UK Countryman, John WoodField slope soaring some simply beautiful classic looking gliders, one of which 'stole my heart', called the TORPEDO. I searched for plans for John's designs, to no avail, but did find a reference to an article about his designs in the Aug. '20 issue of your English Magazine , RCM&E, no plans, just a writeup, and there is a small photo of John on the cover holding the said TORPEDO.

I would dearly request of you, if you could, once you get back UK side from France, see if any of John Woodfield's glider plans have been published or if same are available, as I would sincerely like to purchase plans or kits of his designs, especially theTORPEDO. I know how you feel about your GUFF design, well, John's TORPEDO has plucked my heartstrings; what can I say?

So Dave, that is my new assignment for you: John Woodfield's TORPEDO design plans or kit for your little Friend in Arizona, USA. And yes, of course, you will be richly rewarded for same. Many thanx to you in advance for your efforts, and best regards from very warm Wickenburg, Arizona,

Little Joey Nagy. eMail: [email protected]

Hi Joe,

John Woodfield is a friend on a well-known social media website so I've sent him a message about your interest in the Torpedo which is apparently his glider interpretation of Carl Goldberg's Cumulus. The chairman of my old club in England built a Cumulus for electric powerand covered it in polyester dress lining.

I'll keep you posted.

David
Old 04-07-2021, 10:03 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

PS.

I wont be going back to England anytime soon. We are in lockdown in France until late April and I cannot legally go to the nearest supermarket in Aigurande, 5kms away, without an official document, an "attestation," on my person. This is because Aigurande is not only in a different "department," it's in a different "region." An American equivalent would be county and state, so going to the nearest supermarket, for me, involves crossing over the state line. The Mayor of Aigurande has waived this requirement. Some of the suburbs of his town are actually in a different region and you could walk from there to the town centre in five minutes!

Besides,I haven't finished a few jobs on the house yet, then I'll get it valued. If it's above a certain value I'll sell it. If below, we'll keep it as a holiday home.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

I apologize for the wait it been nuts around here. I managed to get close enough to throw a measuring tape on the box and it was 47.5" long so I'm reasonable sure the plans are more than 36" wide. Sorry for the bad news!

Mike
Old 04-08-2021, 04:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
We are in lockdown in France until late April and I cannot legally go to the nearest supermarket in Aigurande, 5kms away, without an official document, an "attestation," on my person. This is because Aigurande is not only in a different "department," it's in a different "region." An American equivalent would be county and state, so going to the nearest supermarket, for me, involves crossing over the state line. The Mayor of Aigurande has waived this requirement. Some of the suburbs of his town are actually in a different region and you could walk from there to the town centre in five minutes!
I know the feeling, and as such any further details would be beyond discussion in this open forum. What you describe is like travel out of state here in US in some states. Earlier during a more severe lockdown, although state border is only 7 miles away, during my travels I felt like I was smuggling Bibles into cold war Russia. $5,000 fine for violating lockdown rules, medical travels exempted. Anyway, 'nuff said.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:56 PM
acdii

I apologize for the wait it been nuts around here. I managed to get close enough to throw a measuring tape on the box and it was 47.5" long so I'm reasonable sure the plans are more than 36" wide. Sorry for the bad news!

Mike
Oh well, was worth a shot. I wonder if they did that on purpose to make them hard to copy. Not many places have a 48" scanner. I have already put mine to good use, scanned and printed a lot of items already and if I were to add it all up, I would be close to having spent $600 or more if I went to Office Depot or others to have it done. Just a couple photo prints I did would have been $40 or more. 24" x 36" photos for Mothers day. They look AWESOME.

I am working on a Dumas Chris Craft Super Sport, and had the frames all done and was finishing up the stringers and Chines and realized that I had put frame 4 in the wrong position. In the process of correcting I busted up frame 2. I made a new one with the laser. I just now realized the scrap I used was the birch, so it will be the strongest part of the entire boat, the rest is lite ply. All I have left now are the chines, then I can sand and start to plank.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:45 PM
FlyerInOKC

I believe if you check with a blueprint shop you will find they have a 48" scanner. I know at least one of the local blueprint shops here can copy up to 48".
Old 04-08-2021, 07:53 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler View Post
I know the feeling, and as such any further details would be beyond discussion in this open forum. What you describe is like travel out of state here in US in some states. Earlier during a more severe lockdown, although state border is only 7 miles away, during my travels I felt like I was smuggling Bibles into cold war Russia. $5,000 fine for violating lockdown rules, medical travels exempted. Anyway, 'nuff said.
Nothing new there its an old story! I remember my father telling me about back in the 1950s when Oklahoma was still a dry state the highway patrol would setup roadblocks on the major roads coming into Oklahoma from Kansas and Missouri to ask if you had liquor in the car. They would send undercover officers to Joplin, MO to sit in the package store parking lots to radio back the tag numbers of Oklahoma cars to catch people bootlegging. My dad's foster sister and her husband would regularly go to Wichita, KS and bring back drink for themselves and a few friends. Dad said they must have had a lot of friends too because the car's rear shocks would be bottomed out! They would get stopped at the roadblocks and lie through their teeth and say thy didn't drink and weren't carrying any liquor in the car. They couldn't get a warrant by radio like they can now.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Look at what the Santa Claus in the big brown truck and uniformed showed up at my place with last night. I was thinking a Saito .72 or .80 would be a good fit. I have a friend who is going to sell a TF Sea Fury kit I have to finance the project. They go for big bucks these days. This is my last kit purchase I have planned (Famous last words). All together now! "Yeah, right!" I am planning on upgrading the pants and cowling to fiberglass parts from Fiberglass Specialties. Craig does good work and they are bit more robust than the plastic parts in a questionable landing. Back in the 1970s I use to stare at this airplane in the SIG catalog when I was a young dumb wet behind the ears kid.