Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 01:24 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
True, there are a lot of online things. I still need a pilot for my Corsair, but I can't find any that fit, they are too long or tall.
tried www.warbirdpilots.com ?
Old 04-20-2021, 02:02 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yep, they are too big. Need one less than 7" tall, and those are all 10" tall. Will work for the B-25, but not my small Corsair.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:54 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It is my understanding the size of a object can be sized in the software to fit your needs, this is important to me as I build in different scales. I will know more after using the printer.

I have been watching as many videos on you tube to get myself in the right frame of mind and reduce my learning curve. considering it cost less than $200 I am not that concerned if things go amuck which I feel confident wont happen. (i hope)
I have found that many people use this printer so I will be able to get assistance plus there is a guy locally that has been very successful with this printer and is eager for me to get going so I will pick his brain. I came to a final conclusion to purchase this particular unit after seeing his, I was very impressed with the rigidity and solidness of this printer.

A computer isn't a absolute necessity as many models can be obtained from a SD card We will see! but a computer cad program is needed to modify or build a model file.

I got some bad news we found the construction behind us will be a "pull your parts" junk yard it's far enough away that it wont seriously affect us but affect us it will, now I am worried what is going to be built on the south end of my property fence line
Old 04-20-2021, 04:01 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

That sucks! Where did you find the 3D printer for less than $200?
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That sucks! Where did you find the 3D printer for less than $200?
printers are easy to find, just search 3d printers and you will get a load of listings. mine is a creality ender 3 It sells for $165 as a semi kit that is easy to assemble.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have hear good things about that printer if I had a better computer I would take the plunge.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:51 AM
acdii

Going to need a bigger shop! I just took a glance around, I have no place to even PUT another contraption down here. If it could be networked, then I could stick it with the plotter.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Going to need a bigger shop! I just took a glance around, I have no place to even PUT another contraption down here. If it could be networked, then I could stick it with the plotter.
You still have some unused ceiling space!
Old 04-21-2021, 08:08 AM
donnyman

Right now I recommend holding off until you see what happens with me. you may decide it isn't what you want to be bothered with. meanwhile "you tube" will give you all the info you need, it is overflowing with videos and info.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:54 PM
donnyman

My printer has arrived! but it is in the middle of us looking at real estate prices, I can't believe the prices. The developers are going nuts the land south of me is being divided for housing which is better than a junk yard.

I am not sure when I will assemble the printer this real estate stuff has us in a flutter, a developer is supposed to make us a offer next week but I am not holding my breath though he sounded very excited when he looked at my location.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I had my house valued on Tuesday. The price was not quite as high as I'd hoped.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

BUMMER! SO will you keep it or sell it? I know housing has jumped over here and some people are cashing out but then you got to figure out were you would move. Not a problem you have David!
Old 04-23-2021, 08:20 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I had my house valued on Tuesday. The price was not quite as high as I'd hoped.
I KNOW NOTHING OF THE APPRAISALS WHERE YOU ARE but. the appraisals here by the county is as much as ten times lower than the actual selling prices. don't let them lowball you! initial offers here were ten times lower than the average selling prices in this area, remember everyone will try to maximize their profit. You should too.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Quite so gentlemen. There's nothing stopping me from keeping the house and spending time with Miss Blue Eyes, other than the Covid 19 travel restrictions that is.

I'll get a second and third opinion.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Tell the appraiser you expect it to sell at XXX price, and name a price slightly higher than you really want. You would be surprised how often they will appraise a property for what they think it is selling for. I have yet to see a real estate sale fall thru because of the appraisal price.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:47 AM
acdii

Usually sale prices are based on previous last 24 month sales in the area for similar property. You can see what houses are listing for in the area to get an idea of what yours may be worth. For me, 1 mile up the road is an estate selling for $3,000,000, however it has been up for sale for at LEAST 10 years or more.

This fine *cough* *choke* state of hellinois now has an exit tax on your property when you sell. Talk about taxation without representation.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:15 PM
donnyman

The first part is now on the 3d printer and I am very pleased with it's operation. I thought it would be noisy and stink of melted plastic, based on the info on you tube but I have nothing bad to say about this unit thus far. I assembled it on a whim earlier and it took longer than I thought because I got things turned around backward several times. and leveling the bed had me intimidated but it is really no big deal. Tomorrow I will definitely get more molding plastic this is fascinating.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:42 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Quite so gentlemen. There's nothing stopping me from keeping the house and spending time with Miss Blue Eyes, other than the Covid 19 travel restrictions that is.

I'll get a second and third opinion.
I had several opinions before I sold my home, I wasn't happy with any of them, bottom line is I got $25,000 more than all the opinions/appraisals. don't rush, patients pays,
Old 04-25-2021, 08:26 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Frans and I fitted the cockpit windows yesterday. Because he was so busy with other things he elected only to have one window at the side of the model instead of three. The front glazing, which is normally such a pain to fit, went on perfectly straight away! That was a first! It was too windy for a maiden flight yesterday or today but the wind is forecast to be very calm on Tuesday 27th April so we will be flying it then for the first time at 10 o'clock in the morning! That'll be another first. I've never known my club to assemble for a morning flying session before!

I will also take the opportunity to fly Boris Baron, my Baron 1914 finished in Great War Russian colours. The Coupe Des Barons is scheduled for 12th June Covid regulations permitting, and I need to get in some practise. The model has been fitted with a Magnum 52 four-stroke. I ran it up yesterday for the first time in ages and it ran perfectly.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

We took the model to the flying field on Saturday to show it to the rest of the boys. Frans assembled it for the camera. There are one or two cosmetic faults in the covering on the nose but I've let that pass otherwise it would have been me building the model and not Frans. He says he's going to recover the nose when his covering iron turns up. Although it may not be obvious in the pictures, the canopy glazing had not yet been fitted.

He seems to be pleased with it!

Old 04-27-2021, 04:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looks like a great day for flying!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:03 AM
donnyman

Fran has a good looking model, He has a good instructor........................ Happy flying!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

I wish I had a guy like David mentoring when I started in the hobby!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Well we maidened the thing this morning. I was immediately aware that we had a few problems. The motor, selected by the oldest man in the club, a retired engineer and exclusively an electric flyer these days, proved to be much too powerful. Electric flight is not really my thing but I'm aware that about 50 Watts per lb (110 Watts per kilo,) is usually sufficient for a vintage model like a Junior 60. It had pulled 35 amps on test and given a 3S LiPo, that's not far short of 400 Watts! I haven't weighed the model but I suspect that it weighs about 4 lbs, (1.8 kilos) no wonder it climbed like the proverbial rat up a drainpipe.

Secondly, I'd read on one of the forums that Junior 60s were not that sensitive to the CG position. This one was! With full down trim I brought her into a good landing. We added lead to the nose and introduced some downthrust on the motor. The next flight was better but the motor was still too powerful. On the advice of the club's president, we added small piece of ply under the trailing edge of the wing and tried again. It flew in a very non-Junior 60, diving on the glide when the power was shut off, so I brought it in again and added another washer of downthrust.

The third flight was much better. Frans was on the buddy box and he enjoyed himself for several minutes on low throttle settings. Then he asked me to land it. I shut off the motor and the model glided for several minutes without losing much altitude.

Having been advised by George Stringwell over on RC Groups, I will try progressively smaller propellers until the motor is drawing about 20 amps then Frans will have a much more manageable model.

George Strigwell is very knowledgeable about electric flight and vintage models and is the former British and Irish glider champion.

The camera snappers in the club recorded the event for posterity!

Old 04-27-2021, 12:41 PM
acdii

Ahh, climbs like my Cub! Stick a block of wood on the throttle tick so he can't go past half throttle and enjoy! LOL

Hey Donny, Still have those P-61 retracts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.