Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 02:18 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Ahh, climbs like my Cub! Stick a block of wood on the throttle tick so he can't go past half throttle and enjoy! LOL

Hey Donny, Still have those P-61 retracts?

yeah!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

It's been over a month since I posted any progress on the Big Guff rebuild. There have been several reasons for this including helping my clubmate Frans Cormans to build his very first model aeroplane which we maidened last Tuesday. http://https://www.rcgroups.com/foru...Novice-Builder

I've also been busy practising for La Coupe Des Barons, a competition for an iconic French trainer which is held every year near Lyon. I tried to get ten minutes running time out of a six ounce tank. The engine ran out of fuel at nine minutes. Barons glide like bricks especially with a 52 fourstroke in the nose and I forcelanded in the long grass damaging the undercarriage. More repairs! Name:  mad.gif
Views: 404
Size:  1.0 KB For those of you who are still unfamiliar with La Coupe Des Barons look here: https://www.google.com/search?client...es+Barons+2017

Furthermore, I've been laying paving slabs and trying to do as much gardening as my arthritic knees can manage.

HOWEVER, the real reason for the lack of progress is that although I used a fuselage gig in the rebuild I have somehow succeeded in building the front of the fuselage out of square, and not by a few mm either! Name:  redface.gif
Views: 401
Size:  1.0 KB I have spent the last month hoping that it would somehow correct itself but there's nothing for it, I'm going to have to grasp the nettle, demolish much of what I have built and hope that with a few judicious sawcuts I can persuade the nose back into correct alignment. The alternative is to saw off the entire nose and to build a new one as a sub assembly.

I'll let you know how I get on and will include a few pictures if I'm not too embarrassed.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:54 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm sure you are just gutted David! Here is a little inspiration from Pete down under!
The following users liked this post:
brookeantoinette72 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 10:54 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
yeah!
Shoot me a PM with the price and paypal.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

My collegues surprised me with a video of the construction and first flight of the Junior 60. There's also some footage of me flying my Baron. I hadn't flown it for a year. It was way out of trim and the engine needed tweaking. Unfortunately the video is on a well-known social media site and the cybernetics won't let me post it here. Anyone know how to get round it?

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-03-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

It's limited by the owner of the video. Nothing to do with RCU.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:54 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by Stikum
https://www.facebook.com/gerard.vand...8726038545256/

It's limited by the owner of the video. Nothing to do with RCU.
Thanks for that information Stikum but I have been able to copy and paste the link on the British "Model Flying" Forum. Maybe it'll work this way round.

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums...comment-883503
Old 05-03-2021, 08:58 AM
Stikum

Same issue:

This Content Isn't Available Right Now
When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.
Go to News Feed
Old 05-03-2021, 09:02 AM
Stikum

This is what comes up on the FB link.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:13 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, that's normal with FB. Private settings are in effect.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Any of you guys check out the new UASidekick app the AMA is providing to meet the new FAA regs? Its pretty slick!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yea, I got a preview, pretty cool.

HQ staff is constantly trying to provide additional value to members, this is another great example.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

I like the way the AMA fields are marked as well as what constitutes controlled airspace in the area.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:38 PM
donnyman

Hello!............... I just wanted to stop by and say hello, am still looking for a location to move to. getting rid of all my junk is killing me and is stopping my playing with the 3d printer. but I have a bit more space now.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:10 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I stumbled across this while wasting time looking at YouTube. Al Murray is a British stand-up comedian whose persona is "The Pub Landlord," a charicature of an opinionated pub landlord from the poorer parts of London. In reality he's the son of a Lieutenant-Colonel, a graduate of Oxford University and a descendant of William Makepeace Thackery.

I found his explanation of British politics most enlightening and amusing so I thought I'd share it with you.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hello!............... I just wanted to stop by and say hello, am still looking for a location to move to. getting rid of all my junk is killing me and is stopping my playing with the 3d printer. but I have a bit more space now.
The printer was a good excuse to clean out any way. Its amazing the amount of stuff we collect and what we find that we didn't know we had when we clean out!
Old 05-11-2021, 03:26 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I stumbled across this while wasting time looking at YouTube. Al Murray is a British stand-up comedian whose persona is "The Pub Landlord," a charicature of an opinionated pub landlord from the poorer parts of London. In reality he's the son of a Lieutenant-Colonel, a graduate of Oxford University and a descendant of William Makepeace Thackery.

I found his explanation of British politics most enlightening and amusing so I thought I'd share it with you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IOO-xQ_Vew
I was watching Eric Metaxas' program "Socrates in the City" one night, and he had as his guest Joseph Loconte. Loconte told a story of a conversation he had had with his Italian uncle who, as best I can recall Loconte's words, had been in America for decades and sounded like he got off the boat yesterday. Loconte asked the question "Why do the people in Italy change their government every 2 or 3 years?" Loconte's uncle leaned across the table and said "Giuseppe, you gotta unnastand Italian politics. In Italy, if we don't like you, we get rid of you."
Telemaster Sales UK (05-11-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 09:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

There is now only one surviving pilot from the Battle of Britain, an Irishman, John Hemingway, who lives in a retirement home in Dublin County. In the summer of 1940, he flew the Hawker Hurricane. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...-few-1.4249763
Old 05-13-2021, 03:25 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
There is now only one surviving pilot from the Battle of Britain, an Irishman, John Hemingway, who lives in a retirement home in Dublin County. In the summer of 1940, he flew the Hawker Hurricane. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...-few-1.4249763
Interesting!........ I remember you saying something of sargeant pilots of ww2 can you give us anymore info of them?
Old 05-13-2021, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

The only American Sergeant pilots to see combat were the Marine pilots at Guadalcanal. The Brits had a lot of them in the Battle of Britain. I'll bet David will be along in a bit and fill in the blanks. He is really knowledgeable on the subject.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:06 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The only American Sergeant pilots to see combat were the Marine pilots at Guadalcanal. The Brits had a lot of them in the Battle of Britain. I'll bet David will be along in a bit and fill in the blanks. He is really knowledgeable on the subject.
Oh I don't know about that!

I remember watching a BBC Television progamme about sergeant pilots in the Battle of Britain in which one sergeant pilot was sent with two others to a Hurricane squadron having never even seen a Hurricane let alone flown one. They were allowed a quick trial flight and were given a rapid introduction to the cockpit and they were in action the following day!

As war clouds began to gather over Europe from 1935 onwards, it was obvious that the RAF would need to be greatly expanded. The regular recruitment system could not accomodate such large numbers. Many joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve were trained to fly. At the end of the course some men were commissioned, others were not. Quite a few groundstaff became pilots as well. A system for training groundstaff as pilots had existed from the 1920s or even before. They tended to look down upon the the RAFVR sergeant pilots because they hadn't been in the RAF as long as they had! These differences soon disappeared once battle was joined.

Patrick Bishop, in his book "Fighter Boys," claims that of the 2917* men who flew in Fighter Command in the Battle of Britain, about 30% ,so 875 of them were sergeant pilots. Most of these were commisioned later on in the war if they survived.

Bishop also states that 544 pilots were killed in the Battle of Britain, that's about 19% of the total. As sergeant pilots made up about 30% of the total then something like 163 of them would have died while serving as sergeant pilots in the Battle of Britain.

A further 795 Battle of Britain pilots died later on in the war. Combining that figure with the 544 pilots lost in the Battle of Britain means that 46% of Battle of Britain pilots were killed in the war.

Sergeant pilots were not that unusual even in the Great War. James McCudden the second-most successful British fighter pilot of the WW1 flew as a sergeant pilot from July to December 1916 and Mr Wheeler, a friend's father who worked as a train driver and lived in the same street where I grew up, flew the Hawker Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest, in the later years of the Second World War as a sergeant pilot.

The RAF dispensed with sergeant pilots in 1946 when fewer pilots were required but a sergeant could still fly a helicoptor in the British Army Air Corps to this day.

*Some sources suggest that 2937 pilots flew in the Battle of Britain.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-13-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:11 PM
donnyman

Thanks David !
Old 05-13-2021, 11:59 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

TLAR!

(That Looks About Right!)

Today's task is to get the firewall installed on the Big Guff and to make a good job of securing the nose to the rest of the model. I had to cut through the old glue joints in order to pull the forward fuselage sides in. It's only the 1/16" sheeting which is holding it in place at the moment. I plan to run warm epoxy into the old joint then fit a ribbon of glass fibre tape over the joint.

The entire fuselage will then be covered in 1/32" sheet as per Walt Good's plan. Actually it will be 1mm sheet which is a bit thicker than 1/32." I am anticipating this fuselage being a little heavier than the first one but with all of that wing area I don't think that it would make much difference to its flying chanacteristics.

I'm tempted to try a tissue and dope finish on the fuselage to save a little weight but I haven't done this for sixty years and I'm scared of making a Horlicks of it on a model of this size.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:51 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You seem to be making good progress there. Can't wait to see it all finished.
Telemaster Sales UK (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 04:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Is it done yet?!
Telemaster Sales UK (05-14-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.