Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 09:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Is it done yet?!
I'm making progress.

I received an email from the organisers of La Coupe Des Barons yesterday. The event is ON on 12th June! I need to get some practice in but it's raining all the time here and blowing a gale!
Old 05-16-2021, 09:28 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Is it done yet?!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

You missed a spot!
Old 05-17-2021, 11:37 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

You missed a spot!
No, that's where the disgronificator goes.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:20 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I used even more pins for the side sheeting!

Cheap Poundstore white PVA glue worked well. Poundstore is a chain of shops where everything costs £1! (1.16 € or $1.41 US.) Mind you I wouldn't trust it for anything structural!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-17-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looking good David! Hey I am going to the Manchester area for a wedding in September do you know any good hobby shops in that area?
Old 05-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Looking good David! Hey I am going to the Manchester area for a wedding in September do you know any good hobby shops in that area?
Hi Mike,

First the bad news. I put up a post on the RCM&E website "Model Flying" last night at about 11pm. So far I have I only received one reply.

"Sadly if your friend specifically wants to visit a shop that sells r/c aircraft in Manchester then there isn’t one to the best of my knowledge. There are quite a few good ones that still do model railways and plastic kits, and I think one in Bolton that also does r/c cars.

The good news is that if they can get over to Frodsham then Steve Webb models is well worth a visit for r/c gear. Great shop with friendly helpful staff.

I’m hoping someone will prove me wrong here and say I’ve forgotten about such and such a shop!"Name:  1f91e.png
Views: 351
Size:  858 Bytes

Incredible when you think that Manchester is the third largest city in England but it's a sign of the times. My "local" model shop in Shropshire which was 20 miles away from my home has just announced that it is going to close at the end of May.

The good news is that Steve Webb Models is only 30 miles away at Frodsham in Cheshire and that is well worth a visit. It's easy to get to straight down the M56 if you can get someone to drive you there for the cost of the petrol which will be much more expensive than what you're used to! https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/.

I still give Steve Webb some trade even though I live in France. Amongst other things he's an Enya agent and I managed to get a new cranckcase for my Enya 50 SS for just over £30 which I thought was more than reasonable.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:12 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

PS.

There are quite a few aeromodelling events scheduled for September. Details here: https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums...lendar/2021/9/

On 5th September I plan to be at the Cockelbarrow Farm Vintage Model Fly-In at Aldsworth on the Oxfordshire/ Gloucestershire border. A vintage model in the UK is defined as a model which first flew before 1965 but they are allowing an extra four years for this event, not that anyone scrutinises the models anyway. I hope to have the Big Guff, the Super 60, the Double size Tomboy and my Uproar ready for the event. Aldsworth is over 150 miles away from Manchester and a three hour drive so you probably won't be able to get there without staying somewhere overnight so maybe some of the other events would be more convenient for you.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-18-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:46 AM
DeeCee 57

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink another old fart

fantastic stories and pictures in this thread! And an amazing evolution of the hobby

I'm in EU, my year in my handle, and started models around 1967... Graupner was pretty much the only name around here. My first was the very popular Der Kleine Uhu. Spent about 2 weeks glueing it together, applying the thin paper covering, balancing it by inserting the fishing weights in the nose compartment, then first flight! My throw was probably a tiny bit too enthusiastic, and the Kleine Uhu made nice long flight, probably equal to the Wright brothers first, followed by a nice splash in our swimming pool
Had then a couple of free flight models powered by the Cox Peewee .020... deflect that rudder some, fill 1/2 of the tank, start the glowing, needle to max RPM, launch... and see your expensive hobby take to the air, majestically climbing in ever increasing turns. Almost outta sight the motor finally stops. The only problem is that higher up the wind is stronger and that you launched from a clearing. Finding and then recovering and repairing the model took most of the time, but was fun

Then came puberty, hunting, work...

Started real RC when I moved to the UK, 1981. At first choppers only (Kalt, Japanese quality at the time), then airplanes.
Quit RC for the 1/1 stuff, private and prof, now happily retired. Got bitten again in 2000, for good now... time flies

Old 05-19-2021, 02:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Nice to hear from you DC.

My Big Guff reminds me of a chicken shed I once built!

Old 05-19-2021, 03:43 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

DeeCee57
it is good hearing from you welcome! the Bipe is quite colorful and reminds me of a Stinson. Are you a active flyer?
Old 05-19-2021, 04:09 AM
DeeCee 57

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Donny, thanks.

The bipe is a Focke-Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz which I was privileged to fly whilst stationed in Germany for 3 1/2 years, and yes, it ain't RC It was a joy to fly once airborne, but getting that BMW radial to start (manual crank) was a real PitN
Now retired from commercial flying, still avidly engaged in SEP flying, RC is almost on par as hobbies go...
Old 05-19-2021, 04:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Welcome DeeCee! I have a classic Graupner Junker JU-52 kit with electric motors in my kit stash.

David, I think the Gruff is almost big enough to be a Chicken shed! But she is really looking good! Are you going with the same color scheme? Thanks for the info on Webb's.

Mike
Old 05-19-2021, 04:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

... David, I think the Gruff is almost big enough to be a Chicken shed! But she is really looking good! Are you going with the same color scheme? Thanks for the info on Webb's.

Mike
Darker shade of red to differentiate it from the first one. Oratex Stinson Red. Same colour as Frans's Junior 60.

Incidently DC 57, I see that your Steiglitz was called Emil. Did you know that in the First World War all pilots of German two-seater aircraft were called Emil and all observers Franz? No-one seems to know why. A comedy act of the time perhaps?

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-19-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

So you and Frans will have twins! Maybe you guys could fly in formation?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:40 PM
donnyman

It appears our government has acknowledged UFO's or as they put it UAP's (unidentified aerial phenomenon) do exist, a official report is supposed to be announced next month, and I am sure it will be a bunch of "horsepuckery" A navy pilot said he see's them everyday and many other military and civilian pilots are saying similar things. several video's have been shown that the military took and they are not any better than what the average person has shown. even infrared images taken at night from ships at sea. I feel the military doesn't have anymore info than the rest of us but they have so much going on they can no longer say something isn't out there the question is WHAT?????

Of course I have my own opinion which amounts to a spoonful of beans but I'd be thrilled to know we are being watched.

The blue bar below says we have 1040 guests on this thread right now.....................wow! odd that many people with nothing to say.

Last edited by donnyman; 05-21-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:45 PM
donnyman

Oh man! I posted about ufo's and the post disappeared. Is it uncle sam or ET??

OK it's back.

lemme hear from ya I know you have some smart a.. remarks

Last edited by donnyman; 05-21-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:52 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
It appears our government has acknowledged UFO's or as they put it UAP's (unidentified aerial phenomenon) do exist, a official report is supposed to be announced next month, and I am sure it will be a bunch of "horsepuckery" A navy pilot said he see's them everyday and many other military and civilian pilots are saying similar things. several video's have been shown that the military took and they are not any better than what the average person has shown. even infrared images taken at night from ships at sea. I feel the military doesn't have anymore info than the rest of us but they have so much going on they can no longer say something isn't out there the question is WHAT?????

Of course I have my own opinion which amounts to a spoonful of beans but I'd be thrilled to know we are being watched.

The blue bar below says we have 1040 guests on this thread right now.....................wow! odd that many people with nothing to say.
I think its a bad case of they don't know what the darn things are and that scares the crap out of them. The don't like admitting they don't have a clue. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:27 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I think its a bad case of they don't know what the darn things are and that scares the crap out of them. The don't like admitting they don't have a clue. Just my 2 cents.
That's one hell of a kick you just gave the football and scored a big time goal.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:24 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, it falls under, Scotty Beam me up, there's no intelligent life down here. They visit, see people sitting in traffic in 4WD vehicles on paved roads, with all the open land around them. Great first impression, right?

Then again, what IF they are here spreading cooties around, messing with peoples brains making them think they are something they are not, a form of population control. I see it, Aliens from the planet Fagalot come here to turn all the people on Earth Gay. We are so doomed.

Then again, maybe they are the same aliens who seeded the planet with Dinosaur bones just to mess with us.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:51 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I happen to be of the belief that UFO's are inter-dimensional, not inter-planetary. It is my belief that they are demonic and part of the last days delusion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interd...nal_hypothesis

2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

That's my story and I'm stuck with it.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:58 AM
donnyman

FlyerinOKC and Karolh you response is quite neutral, what is your position? (if you have one) on the ufo/uap situation? have you even given it a thought?

I cannot believe with all the billions of planets we are the only "intelligence" be it inter dimensional,biblical,hysterical, or just plain B.S. (I use the word intelligence cautiously.)
AND... just because we don't have the knowledge does not mean it doesn't exist. Is what we seem to see technology or a natural ability? there are a bunch of possibilities.

Your tax dollars are being spent to figure all this out! I want to see a alien.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Just a brief update on the Big Guff Phoenix Project.

I completed the fuselage sheeting the day before yesterday and I found an old tailwheel assembly probably from a long defunct WOT4 Foam-E so I fitted that as a non-steerable tailwheel.

I was persuaded to try some ZAP Thin CA by a modelshop proprietor and I've been very impressed by it. I had previously only used ZAP-A-Gap, the type with the green label. As stated above the 1mm balsa sheeting has rippled in some places and the joints in the fuselage sheeting have not met up. In most places I succeeded in pushing the sheets together and glueing them together with the thin cyano.

One of the advantages of a model as big as the Big Guff is that you can shove your arm deep into the fuselage if necessary. Yesterday afternoon found me with my left arm well inside the fuselage as I pushed two of the sheets into line. A quick application of the thin CA soon had them well glued together.

Unfortunately it had also glued my left index finger to the inside of the fuselage. I had some debonder but there was insufficient space for me to be able to put both arms inside the fuselage and squirt the debonder onto my finger. There was nothing for it but to remove my arm taking a fair amount of balsa sheeting with it. I have tried patching it with fine glass fibre mat and filler. Name:  redface.gif
Views: 331
Size:  1.0 KB

If that doesn't work I'll scarfe in some more balsa.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:50 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Just a brief update on the Big Guff Phoenix Project.

I completed the fuselage sheeting the day before yesterday and I found an old tailwheel assembly probably from a long defunct WOT4 Foam-E so I fitted that as a non-steerable tailwheel.

I was persuaded to try some ZAP Thin CA by a modelshop proprietor and I've been very impressed by it. I had previously only used ZAP-A-Gap, the type with the green label. As stated above the 1mm balsa sheeting has rippled in some places and the joints in the fuselage sheeting have not met up. In most places I succeeded in pushing the sheets together and glueing them together with the thin cyano.

One of the advantages of a model as big as the Big Guff is that you can shove your arm deep into the fuselage if necessary. Yesterday afternoon found me with my left arm well inside the fuselage as I pushed two of the sheets into line. A quick application of the thin CA soon had them well glued together.

Unfortunately it had also glued my left index finger to the inside of the fuselage. I had some debonder but there was insufficient space for me to be able to put both arms inside the fuselage and squirt the debonder onto my finger. There was nothing for it but to remove my arm taking a fair amount of balsa sheeting with it. I have tried patching it with fine glass fibre mat and filler. Attachment 2270388

If that doesn't work I'll scarfe in some more balsa.
balsa dust or baking soda makes a fine filler when thin CA is applied, fill the area with the dust or soda and drop the thin Ca into it and stand back the fumes will knock you out.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:56 AM
donnyman

David

Is there any UFO/UAP activity in your neck of the woods? if so how has the government reacted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.