Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-15-2021, 03:20 PM
ETpilot

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Donny, I know what you are going through. Moving is not an easy decision to make. I was there all of the beginning of this new year. Lots to consider. But my decision is made. Now I just move forward to get the move done. Best to hang on to your home now until you can sort all things out. And get better physically. That is one positive I have; good health. Iím still holding at 200 lbs. Iím now trying to get down to 190 lbs. All the clothes I have that didnít fit, they all fit now. acdii, you will feel so much better once you lose some excess weight. At our age it is a battle going down in weight. Flyer you too take care of yourself. You all take care.

Today my wife told me we got a letter from a developer. They want to buy part of the land. I think I know which part. We have a large open corner. Suitable for 3 maybe 4 homes. Something Iíve been toying with in my head. First I have to get there and stay there. Iím trying to get this move over by the end of the year. Still lots to do.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:07 AM
acdii

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

My weight loss has stalled at 233. I am taking in less than 1500 calories a day, yet my weight remains the same. Very frustrating. I'm doing everything right, reduced carbs down to less than 15 a day, my body is processing fat based on the ketone levels, yet, no weight loss.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 97 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you retaining water?
Old 07-16-2021, 09:34 AM
acdii

Not according to my bladder! LOL
Old 07-16-2021, 03:15 PM
ETpilot

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
My weight loss has stalled at 233. I am taking in less than 1500 calories a day, yet my weight remains the same. Very frustrating. I'm doing everything right, reduced carbs down to less than 15 a day, my body is processing fat based on the ketone levels, yet, no weight loss.
Don't get discouraged. I had the same thing happen. Iíd see a little progress then stalled at a weight. Right now Iím stalled right around 200 lbs. Go down a bit then go up a bit. Iím trying for 190 but stalled at 200. I thought I could just keep going down but no go. Just keep trying. The main thing is try not to go up in weight. I now may hit 203, 204. Then I rush to get back to the 200. Breaking into the steady 190ís is my next tough challenge. And it is very tough going down.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:24 PM
acdii

My ideal weight is supposed to be 160, so you can see how far I need to go, and only gone down ~15 pounds over 2 months.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:44 PM
FlyerInOKC

I remember what an old doctor once told me, he said: It took you how many years to put the weight on? What makes you think you can lose it few weeks and months?
Old 07-16-2021, 09:31 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Safe weight loss is considered to be around a pound per week, a touch more if very obese. 5 months to lose 20 lbs. is about right. If you are doing strength training, then the weight loss will be less because muscle is heavier than fat. Then it is more important to notice how much less one is able to pinch. For us older guys, it is necessary that we not only do aerobics training, but also weight training. It helps to boost hormone levels and turns on the fat burning engine. Plus, it mitigates the effects of arthritis, contrary to what our minds think.

If stagnant, it is amazing how much weight training helps. One is only competing with themselves, tire the muscle out but above all, don't do any harm. Injury takes recovery time, setting one back from progress. You are only competing against yourself. One can do more repetitions, so they don't strain but tire the muscle out.

When I had a bout with arthritis of the knee, a physical therapist MD helped me to know my limits, so I could safely recover. It took a couple months, but got back on track, didn't need knee surgery. I see people in nursing homes, because they did not take care of their health.

Stay safe, eat right, exercise smartly and consistently.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

I find movement helps my arthritis you move it or you lose it.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:29 AM
acdii

I have taken up bowling again, and after 4 weeks I am moving much easier, but still have back pains at the waist which makes it difficult to get the full fluid motion of laying down the ball smoothly. With all that and the diet, I would expect 1-2 pounds a week, but it hasn't happened, yet. What is interesting about it though, I know I have lost fat because I can no bend over and tie my shoes without gasping for breath, and that is one of my goals. I jut need to load up on IB and aleve and get off my ass now more.

I decided to take the Carf Extra 330L and put new servos in it, and put it all back together and fly the snitch. I was looking to sell it, but I need to figure out what planes to fly and what to museum. I have 13 planes in my trailer and fly 1 maybe 2 at the most every year. Thats the downside of liking the building more than the flying. I still have the test flight on the newly repaired and covered Chipmunk, and the maiden flight of the Liberty Sport, and Corsair to accomplish. I do know my biggest reason for not flying several of my planes, they are a PITA to assemble. This is why I am putting the CARF back together, one big plane to fly. I need to replace a few more servos on the p-47 and get that one finished, and I can alternate between the P-47 and the CARF. All the rest of the guys at the field bring one or two big planes and fly one. I come out and have two or three little planes and fly maybe one or two. The small planes are easy, but my eyes are having trouble seeing them now.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have taken up bowling again, and after 4 weeks I am moving much easier, but still have back pains at the waist which makes it difficult to get the full fluid motion of laying down the ball smoothly. With all that and the diet, I would expect 1-2 pounds a week, but it hasn't happened, yet. What is interesting about it though, I know I have lost fat because I can no bend over and tie my shoes without gasping for breath, and that is one of my goals. I jut need to load up on IB and aleve and get off my ass now more.
The BMI approach can be deceptive. One must choose common sense over other indicative methods. Some time back, may be 20 years ago, according to the Air Force TImes or similar publication, the US Air Force attempted to discharge a member before contract completion for being "overweight". He was a body builder, was lean but missed the BMI mark. I guess he wrote his congressman, but don't recall the outcome. After, the military developed a mark where when one missed BMI, used tape measure and calipers to estimate the body fat content.

I gather that you did lose body fat but gained strength, which can account for the "stagnation" in weight. Just keep plugging away, and you'll notice benefit. With body pains like that could be a warning that you are overdoing things, may have to find another sport less painful. This is why I don't jog anymore but ride bicycle instead. I've learned that pushing some limits especially the back is a no-no. Already had 6 herniation incidences over the past 30 years.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:51 AM
acdii

I have two back issues, the lower spine just above the hip bone has arthritis, and can get irritated at times, leading to sciatica and other pains, but the one that really bothers me is the mid chest level issue. I have bone deterioration about the 3rd rib up. It gets knocked out of alignment at times and leads to muscle spasms and chest pains until it can be popped back in. Because of it my upper back is very stiff and if I try to stretch too much I get some nasty cramps on the left side, the issue is on the right side, so I must be doing something that I can't tell to cause the left muscles to be the way they are. I should probably see a Chiropractor and will once this mask mandate crap is gone. I have been putting off getting my eyes checked and new glasses because of it. I cannot wear a mask, I get anxiety like you can't believe and hyper ventilate and feel like I'm underwater trying to breath. After all the whole point of getting vaccinated is so that I don't need to wear an ineffective mask in the first place.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

I jut need to load up on IB and aleve and get off my ass now more.
You want to watch the IB and Alieve they both cause Kidney damage, and I have the blood tests to prove it. I had to give up both and now use a little Voltaren when needed.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:32 PM
acdii

I do, I only take it when I know I will be straining myself, like on Wednesday when bowling. i use Voltaren myself, just before bed and wake up with knees that feel much better
Old 07-20-2021, 04:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

How would you like to pay for the bateries on this airplane?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57747128
Old 07-21-2021, 02:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I did not stay in England for as long as I'd planned so now I'm back in France and ready to start covering the fuselage and fin of the Big Guff. I have a number of choices.

I could cover it in Early Vintage Red Solartex like the flying surfaces of my Big Tomboy pictured below but I would not have enough material left over to cover an 88" (224 cms) Tomboy wing should I ever get round to building it. I have inherited the slotted trailing edge and some of the wing ribs from my Uncle Geoff who drew up the plan but who died young of cancer in 1962 without ever having seen his creation fly.

I have plenty of Dark Blue Solartex as well some Dark Green and what looks like Olive Drab Solartex but I also have a 1/4 scale DB Sport & Scale SE5 kit which I want to sell. Any takers? I'll probably sell the Dark Green Solartex with the kit.

I bought some Stinson Red Oratex specifically to cover the Big Guff. This is a sort of maroon which Frans and I used to cover his Junior 60, also pictured below, but I've gone off the colour!

I could give a nod in the direction of the Good Brothers and finish the fuselage and fin in Orange Solartex, I've plenty of that, or I could use tissue and dope but I haven't used those for over sixty years so I'll probably experiment on a smaller less important model.

I could order some Oratex Fokker Red from a shop in Belgium, Aerobertics, which sells it off the roll at a good price but I was always brought up to be careful with money! https://aerobertics.be/en_be/accesso...-paints/ora080 The model would then look something like my first Big Guff pictured below after the maiden flight and before the fire. Ten or twenty years ago I would have ordered the stuff regardless thinking that I could always use the excess on another model but at seventy-three there may not be sufficient time to build that many more models!

Decisions, decisions!

Old 07-21-2021, 05:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Why did you cut your trip short, COVID? With the new outbreaks we are wondering if our trip to England for September will go out the window.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Why did you cut your trip short, COVID? With the new outbreaks we are wondering if our trip to England for September will go out the window.
My mom had a group trip scheduled for this year to Europe that was canceled. It was up in the air for so long that we couldn't make our trip plans to Utah because she didn't know when it was going to happen, and by the time she found out they canceled it, it was too late for us to get a slot, all booked up.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No it wasn't Covid but Covid cost me an extra £137 to get back to France!
Old 07-21-2021, 10:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
No it wasn't Covid but Covid cost me an extra £137 to get back to France!
I take it the French immigration and custom agents have raised their bribe fees?!
Old 07-21-2021, 10:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I take it the French immigration and custom agents have raised their bribe fees?!

Actually it was the British Government handing out contracts to their pals in the private sector.

You can get a Covid test free, gratis and for nothing in both Great Britain and France, however, in order to have a certificate to show to the customs people you have to have the test done by a private company in the UK. As if the National Health Service didn't have printers!

On the outward journey I got a test and a certificate at the local pharmacy just 5 kms from my home, without charge.

Go figure.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:19 AM
acdii

Two famous words from the 1940's comes to mind

"Papers Please!"
Old 07-21-2021, 12:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Two famous words from the 1940's comes to mind

"Papers Please!"
I guess you never heard of the "Real ID" law or tried to travel outside the us.

On top of everything I just found out I was exposed to COVID Sunday, I was ushering at church.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 07-21-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:27 PM
acdii

Oh, I heard of Real ID alright, I have a CDL! I had to jump through hoops to get it renewed because of it. Showing an ID or passport is normal for international travel, but papers for a test? I feel sorry for those who have to travel back and forth on a constant basis and having to do the testing all the time. My sinus ache just thinking about it.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:10 PM
FlyerInOKC

My son holds a CDL with Haz Mat endorsement, I know of what you speak!
The following users liked this post:
acdii (07-21-2021)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.