Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-21-2021, 08:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Oh, I heard of Real ID alright, I have a CDL! I had to jump through hoops to get it renewed because of it. Showing an ID or passport is normal for international travel, but papers for a test? I feel sorry for those who have to travel back and forth on a constant basis and having to do the testing all the time. My sinus ache just thinking about it.
I think it's a way of reducing the spread of the disease at the border. If you don't have a certificate they wont let you in.

My van was one of the last vehicles off a very crowded ferry. I was at the quayside for an hour and a half before my papers were checked.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I've eventually and somewhat reluctantly decided to go for Solartex Orange. I had an expensive time in England. The cambelt tensioner failed on the van and I was lucky not to wreck the engine. I had had a new one fitted in 2017 but it was out of guarantee. This time we used genuine VW components. The old tensioner had only lasted 37,000 kms (less than 23,000 miles.) The repair cost me over 500, (583€ or $686 US.)

So having looked at my bank statement and my Solartex stocks I have decided to use the material that I have in stock. I found that I had two unopened 2-metre packs of Orange Solartex plus well over a metre of the same colour from a roll I had already used. In addition I have a 2-metre roll of Vintage Orange Solartex, so Orange it is with Antique Solartex flying surfaces.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:10 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 97 Likes on 92 Posts

I can relate the level of my hobby fund makes a lot of decisions for me too. You can't spend it if you haven't got it.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes and I've got a set of orange overalls to match!

Old 07-23-2021, 06:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I can relate the level of my hobby fund makes a lot of decisions for me too. You can't spend it if you haven't got it.
Didn't Muddy Waters right a song about it?

Old 07-23-2021, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

The plane will match the coveralls sounds like a plan! I do believe Muddy Waters had it right.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:32 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I pulled into the flying field yesterday afternoon to have a beer and to spend some time in the company of fellow enthusiasts. It was pretty windy so I chose not to fly. I parked my van next to a drop-head Vauxhall which must have arrived only seconds before I did. As the car was RHD I addressed the driver in English. His name is Allan and he's a "Mackem," a native of Sunderland in the north-east of England where there was once a thriving ship building industry.

Allen has lived in France for over sixteen years and lives in the closest house to the flying field. It's quite visible from the runway and we frequently hear his peacocks calling from his garden. Now it looks as if I've gained another trainee to teach Mode 1 to in adition to my British, Belgian and French trainees! Mode 1 is by far the most popular mode in France. AFAIK, I am the only Mode 2 pilot in the club which now has over thirty members.

For an explanation of the term "Mackem" see below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackem

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Does everyone in England retire to France?
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No, only about 150,000 of my countrymen live in France of whom 53,000 of us are retired.