Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 05:38 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, all scales result in a really nice aeroplane.
Having said that, the Senior is the one. has a fabulous feel to it.
If you want some fun build the wing flat, leave off the last couple rib sections (move the ailerons in accordingly) and double the size of the rudder cord.
It's a blast... and because its long coupled, it tracks great, feels rock in solid yaw.
Flat bottom wing/lifting stab makes will make your first couple of inverted passes a brown pant experience.
But once you understand that it needs plenty of down elevator to establish a pronounced tail-low inverted attitude, you can stay there all day.

If the world came to an end tomorrow and the few remaining people asked the remaining RC airplane designer to design them a general plane that could lift /carry heavy stuff, fly long distances with a small engine and was easy to build and learn to fly,
a Senior Telemaster is what would come off the drawing board.

Last edited by David Bathe; 08-31-2021 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:46 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Why is it so hard to find anyone to do work for you today? 5 tree companies sent a RFQ, 2 replied back. a dozen septic companies, 2 replied back, and have yet to show up. Good thing it isn't overflowing!
Old 08-31-2021, 06:28 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Why is it so hard to find anyone to do work for you today? 5 tree companies sent a RFQ, 2 replied back. a dozen septic companies, 2 replied back, and have yet to show up. Good thing it isn't overflowing!
When people get paid to not work, it's harder to convince them that work is what they should do.....

Last edited by Stikum; 08-31-2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2021, 05:18 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Last August (2020) I needed to have a tree removed from my back yard. Called 3 companies, 1 replied. He got my $2700. I'll call a company once, if they don't respond I just assume my money isn't good enough for them.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:14 PM
acdii

Finally had a Septic guy come out today. Ironically he is friends with the guy taking down my trees who also was out today. One tree down. 9 more to go. Have to have a core guy come out and take samples from around the back area to determine if it can support a leach field or if I am going to have to go the expensive route and have a mound put in. I hope not, it's $20K for one. I did budget for it, but would be nice to not have to pay that much for one.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

For some years now I have been using an ARTF electric foamy trainer called a "We Can Fly" in order to teach beginners how to fly. The We Can Fly is no longer available but Robbe has just brought out the same model under the name "Charter" in an attractive red, black and white scheme. I bought one on behalf of a friend and club colleage because there is no internet coverage where he lives. When we assembled it yesterday we found out that one wing was much thicker than the other. I have emailed the shop and am waiting for a reply.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:13 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure the cores are different and not just some strange alinement issue because of the dihedral brace?
Old 09-05-2021, 02:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by David Bathe
Are you sure the cores are different and not just some strange alinement issue because of the dihedral brace?
David, the port wing is at least 3mm (1/8") thicker at the root than the starboard wing. The undersurfaces are level with each other.

Well I flew the rebuilt Big Guff for the first time yesterday afternoon. I had balanced it at 40% of the wing root chord as suggested on the plan but it was too far back as evidenced by the steep take off. I managed a circuit and a good landing on the grass flying the model with very little throttle and full down trim. I will move the rx battery forward to bring the CG further forward.

Thanks to Guy Auvieux for building the tail surfaces for me and to Bertrand Viol and all of my collegues at Berry Marche Modelisme for helping me with the model yesterday.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Congratulations David!
Old 09-05-2021, 05:17 AM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great pics, your fortunate to have a photographer in the group. I have been trying to talk the wife into going to the field and snapping a few pictures since that is her hobby. Told her it would be something we could do together 😉. Not quite there yet 😏
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 06:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
David, the port wing is at least 3mm (1/8") thicker at the root than the starboard wing. The undersurfaces are level with each other.
Sounds like imperfections during the molding process. Wing when removed from the mold, the polystyrene beads kept expanding. The old Ace R/C half-A 17 inch per panel foam wings suffered similar occurrences, but not as drastic. Since the thicker wing panel is on the left side, perhaps may help counteract torque with increased lift, but then may also increase drag negating.

I guess if it flies good even with the defect, then it is more of a visual cosmetic issue. This is one thing good about kit building. One racked the wing ribs together if constant chord and hit them gently with a block of sandpaper. Then they were all uniform, even if made of Berkeley balsa.

(1959 Berkeley Impulse 46" wingspan single channel pylon racer flying surfaces shown)

Old 09-07-2021, 09:37 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup! Got all 3 flying today - actually, 4. Original 1973 Kadet flies with a Fox-40, Kadet Mk-II runs on a OS-40LA, Eaglet runs a OS-25FP and the Eagle has a OS-46SF driving her. All are on 72MHz.

GREAT aircraft, all.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:10 AM
acdii

Oh my. Stupid has just hit an all time high. I just read about a Rutgers student who was banned from all classes because he didn't get vaccinated. Can't log into his email, can't pay his tuition.

Seems like, well, we don't want your kind here in class, right?

Here's the STUPID part. The guy is 100% ONLINE from his home. Never steps foot on campus.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Oh my. Stupid has just hit an all time high. I just read about a Rutgers student who was banned from all classes because he didn't get vaccinated. Can't log into his email, can't pay his tuition.

Here's the STUPID part. The guy is 100% ONLINE from his home. Never steps foot on campus.
I can relate, I was working as a contractor for the VA Boston Healthcare System and had to get a yearly TB test even though I was in Oklahoma and would never set foot in the place.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:51 PM
acdii

Both fall into the WTH category.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Can't even blame the Dems the policy was put in place under the GOP control.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:02 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys its been a while since I've been here. So here is question I have a T.H. Kaos 40 ARF I know I hate ARF's and anything electric! 2 months ago I finally got the blasted thing to the club field here in Wichita Falls TX! (damn its hot down here!) She flew much better than I thought she would and this airplane had some style compared to the AFS out there! Well I went flying the next day and my pretty little Kaos ARF was Hijacked by a tree at the North end of the runwayI It wedged into the top of the tree and you could not see it from the ground very well! I came back the next day and I went and got some long sections of PVC pipe and couplers from a Big Box store! I put the pipe together and still couldn't get it out from the ground until this nice gentleman in truck stopped and asked if I needed help! He tried climbing into the tree and couldn't see it so he jumped down went and got his truck. He jumped into the back of his trump and got up on the roof of the cab and pushed my Kaos out of the tree, it came down crashing down towards the passenger side of his truck bouncing off the passenger side mirror and continuing on to the ground with a huge thump. I was glad to have it back but the tree destroyed the carb on the engine and put a nice gapping hole on the right side between two ribs. The Left side caught the mirror mirror and shattered two ribs and the sheeting all the way back to the center spar. The spar top and bottom did not break. the webbing between the ribs cracked. I have removed all of the rubble. I
I thought this airplane was the same as the Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 kit which I have. So I pulled out the ribs and made some half ribs on my scroll saw and soon found out that the kit wing is smaller in width than the ARF wing!. I talked to Tower Hobbies A.K.A , Horizion and asked if there where some plans out there for the Kaos ARF as I need to rebuild my wing.I basically got told that I have to wait until January to buy a new wing or I could buy one their other ARFS that they offer. It is such a shame that HH contiunes the same crappy service that Hobbicco did.
So does anybody out there have a Kaos 40 ARF wing just setting around. please let me know!
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 09-07-2021, 06:37 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
I thought this airplane was the same as the Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 kit which I have. So I pulled out the ribs and made some half ribs on my scroll saw and soon found out that the kit wing is smaller in width than the ARF wing!
That is interesting. Could it be that because the ARF is heavier, that they modified the wing area to reduce wing loading?

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
I talked to Tower Hobbies A.K.A , Horizon and asked if there where some plans out there for the Kaos ARF as I need to rebuild my wing. I basically got told that I have to wait until January to buy a new wing or I could buy one their other ARFS that they offer. It is such a shame that HH contiunes the same crappy service that Hobbicco did.
I gather that gone are the days where there was a US factory that made ARF's, and as such parts were readily available as previously. It seems that nowadays, factories overseas are contracted for a bulk run. If stocks run out, then depended on another bulk run, which possibly may never happen. Last I read, it was a factory making clothing of all things that was doing ARF manufacturing. Gone are the days of multiple factories making nothing but model aircraft stuff.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The road outside my house slopes downwards from a plateau then divides into a fork. If you take the left fork you go in the direction of the next village, Nouzerolles, but if you take the right fork the road continues downhill into the village itself. It is quite easy to end up driving faster than you intended owing to the continuous slope.

The authorities have recently installed a solar powered panel beside the road about a hundred metres from my front gate. This panel advises motorists of their speed as they aprroach. If they are driving at 50 kph or less, (about 30mph,) the numbers are in green but if they are travelling faster than than 50 kph the numbers are in red.

One evening last week I saw some of the village boys meet at the top of the slope with their bicycles. They then proceeded to ride down the road to see who could record the fastest speed!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-08-2021 at 05:44 AM.
skylark-flier (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 04:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have see a couple of those in a bedroom community here. They appear to be effective. How fast did the kids on bicycles go?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have see a couple of those in a bedroom community here. They appear to be effective. How fast did the kids on bicycles go?
I don't know, I didn't stop to look!
Old 09-08-2021, 06:53 AM
acdii

I know thats what I would be doing if I were a kid. Back then I had a 12 speed road bike and could easily keep up with the flow of traffic in Chicago. Add in a downhill, and yeah, 45-50 was achievable on that bike.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:32 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s nice that you Chicago kids had road bikes. Us kids from Brooklyn, NY had to play with skates. Free pair of roller skates when you bought a pair of shoes. Then we’d play snap the whip which got the end guy going pretty good. But best was hanging on to the electric buses going uphill. A good hand hold on the rear of the bus where the cable played out. Not seen by the driver. Then we’d skate downhill as fast as we could go. Pretty dangerous now that I think back on it. LOL. I SURVIVED.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:52 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mkjohnston, how about making a template with the half ribs that are showing on either side of where your replacing?🧐
Telemaster Sales UK (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:39 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The new "law" for living - thou shalt OBEY all the edicts, no matter how much or how little sense they make.

He didn't "obey".

Personal note - 22 years in uniform defending this country. Sometimes, I wonder why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.