Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 09-13-2021, 04:09 PM
biam

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David, thanks for the tutorial on radial engines. I never realized they rotated around a stationary crankshaft, learn something new everyday!
Mike, your right about the drive in reference, there’s enough videos on that site to last a week. 👍
Old 09-13-2021, 09:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by biam View Post
David, thanks for the tutorial on radial engines. I never realized they rotated around a stationary crankshaft, learn something new everyday!
Mike, your right about the drive in reference, there’s enough videos on that site to last a week. 👍
I forgot to mention that the forces produced by the rotary engines fitted to the Sopwith Camel made the aircraft turn much more rapidly to the right then to the left. This proved to be useful in combat because no German fighter of the time could turn as quickly to the right in a dog fight. With the arrival of the Fokker Triplane, the Germans had an aeroplane which could turn as sharply as a Camel but they were slower than a Camel in level flight and in a dive.

PS. Biam, a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft with the cylinders rotating around it. A radial engine has the crankshaft rotating inside a stationary crankcase which is bolted to the airframe.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-13-2021 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
biam (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM
Stikum

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
PS. Biam, a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft with the cylinders rotating around it. A radial engine has the crankshaft rotating inside a stationary crankcase which is bolted to the airframe.
And then there's the Wankel, with rotating combustion chambers (three of them)...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine
Old 09-14-2021, 12:26 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 104 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum View Post
And then there's the Wankel, with rotating combustion chambers (three of them)...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine
I had the OS version 1st generation. It ran great but spit out more fuel than it burned.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:26 PM
biam

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PS. Biam, a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft with the cylinders rotating around it. A radial engine has the crankshaft rotating inside a stationary crankcase which is bolted to the airframe.[/QUOTE]

David, thanks for setting me straight!
The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:30 PM
skylark-flier

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by biam View Post
David, thanks for setting me straight![/QUOTE]

DAMN!!! Y'learn something every day!!!!!!

Cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!