Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-15-2021, 04:54 AM
  #10101  
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)
 
aymodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
I particularly like the Hurricane Al, one of my all time favourites. Please provide details.
The Hurricane is just an old eFlite foamy. Nothing special. Its not a bad flyer, but I always seem to have bad luck with this particular bird, like the gear ripping out on landing or nosing over and breaking a prop. I also have had some of my best ever tail dragger landings with her too though.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:03 AM
  #10102  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Gentlemen

I was told, If you join the military be sure to get into a technical field and avoid the fighting end of the military get them to teach you something that can be useful to you when you get out, riflemen are not used in civilian life. why die or get maimed for a country that puts you in a diminished position.

I say this to say If our so called leaders had to physically lead in the battles they would put more thought into the waging of war, a bullet wound can encourage a lot of thought. I followed the advice and found out it was true. If they had to walk in the common mans shoes they would be careful to see the shoes were better made, so I decided not to put my life in jeopardy for those sitting in their ivory towers. If I am wrong then why are so many of our fighting men living on the streets in need of medical care and such, suffering?

The common man if not polluted by the politics of others for the most part is honest, kind, and will do good toward his fellow man.
More important is to remember WHY these men died, who profited? what good was done?

I am going to be chastised for what I have said but I could not contain my self. I am sorry if I have offended anyone.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:01 AM
  #10103  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,876
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

According to the French poet Paul Valéry:

"War is a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

That was certainly the case in 1914. The King of England, the Kaiser of Germany and the Czar of Russia were all cousins.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:30 AM
  #10104  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
According to the French poet Paul Valéry:

"War is a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

That was certainly the case in 1914. The King of England, the Kaiser of Germany and the Czar of Russia were all cousins.

Precisely! ................................ Not one of these "leaders" did a da--- thing for those that suffered for them.

The sad thing is TODAY, people are running in the streets putting them selves in jeopardy for some idiot that wont do a thing for them and watched from a safe place as they destroyed government property. The stupidity astounds me.

Last edited by donnyman; 11-15-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:53 AM
  #10105  
stingray67
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I just joined this group and I'm so old I can't even figure out how to post yet, so I'm only answering an existing post
Old 11-15-2021, 10:19 AM
  #10106  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,077
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

That is basically how you do it.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:22 AM
  #10107  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stingray67 View Post
I just joined this group and I'm so old I can't even figure out how to post yet, so I'm only answering an existing post
Welcome............ Just hang in there you'll get it all worked out soon. Look for the reply tab.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:17 AM
  #10108  
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)
 
aymodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Precisely! ................................ Not one of these "leaders" did a da--- thing for those that suffered for them.

The sad thing is TODAY, people are running in the streets putting them selves in jeopardy for some idiot that wont do a thing for them and watched from a safe place as they destroyed government property. The stupidity astounds me.
I find it so ironic that with all the talk of "America First" we have totally forgotten to put "Americans First". I don't care which side of the political divide you happen to stand on, we are all Americans and we should start out with a basic respect for each other. The whole point of "America" is that we are free to have our own ideas. So we should all be able disagree with someone else's POV but still respect them as a fellow citizen with the rights to think and believe whatever they might want to. But unfortunately, we continue to group ourselves into tribes with the notion that you are either totally with me or totally against me. And our so called leaders continue fan those flames for their own personal benefit. That's no what we are all about (or it least it isn't what we are supposed to be all about!!!).

BTW, in case I wasn't clear, both sides are equally guilty in this. I finally changed my party affiliation to "independent" a couple of years ago because I could no longer stand the rhetoric coming out of either party!
Old 11-15-2021, 11:41 AM
  #10109  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
I find it so ironic that with all the talk of "America First" we have totally forgotten to put "Americans First". I don't care which side of the political divide you happen to stand on, we are all Americans and we should start out with a basic respect for each other. The whole point of "America" is that we are free to have our own ideas. So we should all be able disagree with someone else's POV but still respect them as a fellow citizen with the rights to think and believe whatever they might want to. But unfortunately, we continue to group ourselves into tribes with the notion that you are either totally with me or totally against me. And our so called leaders continue fan those flames for their own personal benefit. That's no what we are all about (or it least it isn't what we are supposed to be all about!!!).

BTW, in case I wasn't clear, both sides are equally guilty in this. I finally changed my party affiliation to "independent" a couple of years ago because I could no longer stand the rhetoric coming out of either party!

I hear you! the key words ............. "so called leaders"
We are divided which makes me think of ..................... "conquer and divide"

Last edited by donnyman; 11-15-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:53 PM
  #10110  
skylark-flier
 
skylark-flier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, Luray
Posts: 2,191
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stingray67 View Post
I just joined this group and I'm so old I can't even figure out how to post yet, so I'm only answering an existing post
That's basically how you do it. Works EVERY time.

Welcome to the group!!
Old 11-15-2021, 01:38 PM
  #10111  
skylark-flier
 
skylark-flier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, Luray
Posts: 2,191
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

My friends, gentlemen - Being one of those who actually did wear the uniform for just over 2 decades, let me attempt to put just a bit of it into perspective - at least, my perspective.

True - "military arms" doesn't translate into much within civilian society. It translates, most effectively, into police work I guess.

However, there's an awful lot within the military world that doesn't translate hardly at all into the civilian world. I, myself, worked for 22 years as a Russian linguist in the Air Force - my job was to monitor everything (within my purview) the Soviets did. Just as an aside here, it's how I **KNOW** that there were once WMD in Iraq. They WERE there at one time. When you listen to your opponent as he communicates with his compatriots and superiors about what he's doing, what he's doing it with and where, you're most likely hearing a true rendition of what's going on in his world. That's how I *KNOW* they were once there. I did that. And, when I retired from the USAF I had just a bare few avenues available to me with my 22 years of training and experience - CIA, DIA or NSA. However, I chose none of them and started my life anew at 43 years old.

Anyway, back to the point of the matter. NOBODY in uniform cares one whit for the (any) individual in DC, their politics, their "agenda", any of it. When we joined, we all swore an oath (that never expires) to protect THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. It's nothing more than a piece of paper, but millions have given their lives to protect it - and for good reason. It's the entire basis of our society - it's the whole ball of wax, the holy grail, the beginning and ending of all things American. We're not protecting America (the country) as much as we're protecting the IDEA of America. We defend and are willing to die for a piece of paper, we salute a piece of cloth that represents that piece of paper and there are very few of us that are unwilling to do everything in our power to continue that - even at the age of 73, which is where I'm at right now.

And here's why; it's the greatest piece of paper ever written, short of the Bible (which we're also quite willing to die for). It's the guide to the greatest experiment ever attempted by mankind, the goal being for every man (and woman) to be able to live their own lives in the manner of their own choosing, to advance to any goal, to be free of any dictator, kind or potentate.

**I** am my own boss in America. I live my life as I please (within the constraints of that piece of paper, of course) and nobody has the right to tell me otherwise. That's the ideal, it's rarely achieved. But, that's the point of the whole exercise - we, Americans, have recognized the God-given right to be our own boss. NOBODY in history has ever recognized that right before. That's why millions have died for that piece of paper - it's unique, it's priceless.

And that, gentlemen, is why I take no offense to anything that was said by anyone here. That is why I wore that uniform, to protect your right (under the rules of that piece of paper) to speak your truth, as you will, as you should. That's the point of the whole exercise, your right, my right, to live, think and speak as we will.

It is said that a veteran is someone who, at one time, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including his life."

Yeah, I'm one of those, and I'm proud to admit that.
The following 3 users liked this post by skylark-flier:
biam (11-15-2021), Stikum (11-15-2021), warningshot (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 02:47 PM
  #10112  
Stikum
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , CA
Posts: 148
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skylark-flier View Post
My friends, gentlemen - Being one of those who actually did wear the uniform for just over 2 decades, let me attempt to put just a bit of it into perspective - at least, my perspective.

True - "military arms" doesn't translate into much within civilian society. It translates, most effectively, into police work I guess.

However, there's an awful lot within the military world that doesn't translate hardly at all into the civilian world. I, myself, worked for 22 years as a Russian linguist in the Air Force - my job was to monitor everything (within my purview) the Soviets did. Just as an aside here, it's how I **KNOW** that there were once WMD in Iraq. They WERE there at one time. When you listen to your opponent as he communicates with his compatriots and superiors about what he's doing, what he's doing it with and where, you're most likely hearing a true rendition of what's going on in his world. That's how I *KNOW* they were once there. I did that. And, when I retired from the USAF I had just a bare few avenues available to me with my 22 years of training and experience - CIA, DIA or NSA. However, I chose none of them and started my life anew at 43 years old.

Anyway, back to the point of the matter. NOBODY in uniform cares one whit for the (any) individual in DC, their politics, their "agenda", any of it. When we joined, we all swore an oath (that never expires) to protect THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. It's nothing more than a piece of paper, but millions have given their lives to protect it - and for good reason. It's the entire basis of our society - it's the whole ball of wax, the holy grail, the beginning and ending of all things American. We're not protecting America (the country) as much as we're protecting the IDEA of America. We defend and are willing to die for a piece of paper, we salute a piece of cloth that represents that piece of paper and there are very few of us that are unwilling to do everything in our power to continue that - even at the age of 73, which is where I'm at right now.

And here's why; it's the greatest piece of paper ever written, short of the Bible (which we're also quite willing to die for). It's the guide to the greatest experiment ever attempted by mankind, the goal being for every man (and woman) to be able to live their own lives in the manner of their own choosing, to advance to any goal, to be free of any dictator, kind or potentate.

**I** am my own boss in America. I live my life as I please (within the constraints of that piece of paper, of course) and nobody has the right to tell me otherwise. That's the ideal, it's rarely achieved. But, that's the point of the whole exercise - we, Americans, have recognized the God-given right to be our own boss. NOBODY in history has ever recognized that right before. That's why millions have died for that piece of paper - it's unique, it's priceless.

And that, gentlemen, is why I take no offense to anything that was said by anyone here. That is why I wore that uniform, to protect your right (under the rules of that piece of paper) to speak your truth, as you will, as you should. That's the point of the whole exercise, your right, my right, to live, think and speak as we will.

It is said that a veteran is someone who, at one time, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including his life."

Yeah, I'm one of those, and I'm proud to admit that.
Well said!
Old 11-15-2021, 06:14 PM
  #10113  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Yes well said. Skylark flyer

I spent only eight years doing the same as you. As a jet specialist working directly with the war machines. but your experiences in this NATION are somewhat different.
I have no regrets but I would not willingly die for that which isn't what they speak (say) "All men are created equal" as long as you ......................................
with out hiding in Canada when it was time to serve, My family served, voluntarily, many of our "leaders" cannot say that!

This subject is getting too close to the edge ................... I'm done!



Old 11-16-2021, 01:05 PM
  #10114  
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)
 
flyboy2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 593
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler View Post
I gather that from Thessalonians 4:16,17, those dead in Christ will arise first, then those of us still remaining in the last times with join up with them after.
The dead in Christ rise first because they have six feet further to go.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:23 AM
  #10115  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,876
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

In these troubled times perhaps you gentlemen might be interested in a little light-hearted nonsense I posted on a well-known social media website.

Well hello again dog lovers everywhere, it's time for more Tails From Tiko!

The picture below shows us arriving at the Toy Aeroplane Flying Field on Saturday afternoon. That's me in the co-pilot's seat safely strapped-in in my harness in case we have a frontal collision, not that David has ever had a car accident in over forty years of driving. It's quite good at the Toy Aeroplane Flying Field. Everybody loves me and strokes me and we get to go for a good walk off the lead around the perimeter of the flying field. There are some Charolais cattle in the next field. They seem to be very interested in me. I think that because I'm a white dog, they think that I'm a calf! I've been banned from the AGM though because other doggies will be there and I would feel obliged to show them who's boss.

David still takes me for two good walks a day and if it's not too wet we go to the football field where I am let off the lead so that I can have a good run around. Sometimes we go one and a half times around the football pitch before we go back home through the village. David lets me run off the lead on the very quiet road between the football pitch and the village until we get to the Polish gentleman's house at the high point of the village when he clips me back onto the harness because there's a big Border Collie just round the corner who barks at us even though he's on a chain. There is another man who takes his Chocolate Labrador for a walk sometimes at the same time as us. I growled and barked at him to warn him that he'd get what-for if he tried to attack my David!

There are lots of interesting smells for me on our walks especially in pipes which are in the drainage ditches and in the woods near the football field. One day I'd disappeared into the woods and smelt something very interesting so David had to call for me five times before I came back but his sense of smell is so poor that he cannot tell a Chardonnay from a Sauvignon Blanc!

I've also been helping David keep the house neat and tidy. I do this in several ways. Firstly, I am shedding my summer coat so there are a lot of white hairs all over the place so David has to sweep the floors and use the vaccuum cleaner every other day!

Secondly David used to throw scrap paper into the wood burner ready for lighting it in the evenings. He used to leave the doors open all day and amongst the paper were pieces which the butcher had used to wrap around meat. I soon found it and was licking it on the sitting room floor but I'd strewn lots of soot and cinders all over the place. David shouted at me and washed my ears which had gone grey! Now he keeps the woodburner doors shut!

He also used to leave a packet of butter on the work surface until I found it and was merrily eating it on the kitchen floor when I was discovered. David told me off and from then on he's kept the butter in a Tupperware pack which I can't open but the other day he was making himself a sausage sandwich. He had buttered two pieces of bread which he'd left on the worksurface while the sausages were grilling. Now David should not really eat sausages as he's a little overweight and takes pills to help with his blood pressure so while he went to have a look at his toy aeroplanes I took one of the pieces of bread and butter from the work surface and was eating it on the kitchen floor when he caught me. David shouted at me and tapped me on the nose but I had helped him maintain a healthy lifestyle because he now only had enough bread for one sausage!

I know he loves me really because he gave me the the other sausage to eat with my dinner the following night and when he'd finished the butter he gave me the packet to lisk. I do love butter so! Yum,yum, slurp, slurp, lick, lick!

We're off to David's friend Jean Francois for lunch. They're having duck. If I'm good maybe I'll get a bit.



The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 05:37 AM
  #10116  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,077
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

Hmm.. We know who is boss now and it isn't David!
Old 11-22-2021, 06:43 AM
  #10117  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,876
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Hmm.. We know who is boss now and it isn't David!
Maybe, but Jeff and I ate all of the duck so there!
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
  #10118  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

I trust you all celebrated a happy turkey day.
It is cold and wet here. We are still looking for a new home and cannot quite make up our minds. meanwhile it seems every large corporation is moving into this area or the ones That are here are expanding. The town of Taylor is all abuzz because the Samsung corp. is about to start construction on a new chip manufacturing site They will hire 1800 people. Applied materials has just doubled there site, (they build the chip making machines.) several more of my neighbors are selling out and the land across my fence has been purchased by a investment company and is making all the mobile homes leave, only one remains. the highway will get a toll road overpass all the way to the next town (traffic here is worse than Manhattan N.Y. cars for as far as the eye can see) another housing area is under construction which makes more than five underway Locally. covering hundreds of acres. Land now sells by the sq. foot. This place has gone berserk, I haven't mentioned half of what is happening.
I could enjoy it more if my prostate wasn't full of cancer. I'll get a cat scan Tuesday and radiology treatment soon after. Bummer!
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
  #10119  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,876
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

Best of luck with that Donny! We'll be rooting for you.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
  #10120  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,077
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
Best of luck with that Donny! We'll be rooting for you.
+1!
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
  #10121  
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)
 
aymodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hey Donny, sorry to hear the results came back bad, but have confidence that you can beat it! The docs are working wonders these days.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
  #10122  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,724
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Hi Donny, so sorry to hear that your results was not what we all were hoping for. I'll be keeping you in my prayers that it all works out in your favour.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
  #10123  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,052
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Thanks ...one and all!
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
  #10124  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,876
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

Our club's Annual General Meeting is scheduled for 10.00 this morning. I expect that it will be postponed.


View from my study window at 08.23 this morning, 28/11/2021. It has continued to snow heavily since then.
Old Today, 07:00 AM
  #10125  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,077
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

I didn't think anything would keep you guys from the food and wine!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.