Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-28-2021, 07:52 AM
  #10126  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,060
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

That stuff falling on the ground is the primary reason I do not care to move any further north. And it will keep a lot of people from doing a lot of things!
Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 AM
  #10127  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I didn't think anything would keep you guys from the food and wine!
The AGM was held as per schedule much to my surprise. We had no food just a little pétiant at the end of the proceedings. The latest Covid regulations make organising such events difficult.

I walked through the snow with the dog until one of the members picked us up. For the sake of excercise we walked the whole way back with the dog off the lead, thoroughly enjoying herself running through the fields. The delight she takes in simple things is very heartening.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:42 PM
  #10128  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,744
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Wow, you guys sure are determined. I hate that white fluffy stuff so no way would I be out in it. I congratulate you sir.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:04 AM
  #10129  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

My sister Sue has had to go into hospital. Hopefully they've been able to change the medication, or the dose. I think these things can take a while to fine tune.

I'm finding it difficult to decide what to do. Sue has suggested that I don't return "home" before Christmas so as not to put too big a load on my niece. I've pencilled in travelling back to England on 27th December. There won't be that many wanting to travel between Christmas and the New Year. However, there's a possibility that she may succomb to the illness beforehand in which case I'll have to change my plans. I'll keep you informed. Stressful times.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:02 AM
  #10130  
stingray67
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R C Boats

I'm new to forum and new to rc boating in general so forgive my ignorance. I have built a couple Dumas Chris Crafts and now I am attempting to make my own creation from scratch. I always wanted to make a Dumas Deep Vee but now that I can, they are gone. I had someone print a very similar hull in 24" size and gave me two electric motors from his kids power wheels jeep. I understand these motors are probably slow for this application but I can upgrade later. What I am trying to figure out after looking at the internet a lot is economical way to get from motor to prop. Seems a tube formed into the transom similar to the Chris Crafts would work but it looks like everyone uses stinger or strut drives. I don't know anybody locally involved in this hobby and the closest Hobby Store that might have knowledge is over 2 hour drive.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:15 AM
  #10131  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,744
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Oh dear, Telemaster I'm so very sorry to hear of this development, especially at this time of year. I'm quite sure we will be keeping you all in our prayers.

Last edited by karolh; 12-02-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:40 AM
  #10132  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,182
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stingray67 View Post
I'm new to forum and new to rc boating in general so forgive my ignorance. I have built a couple Dumas Chris Crafts and now I am attempting to make my own creation from scratch. I always wanted to make a Dumas Deep Vee but now that I can, they are gone. I had someone print a very similar hull in 24" size and gave me two electric motors from his kids power wheels jeep. I understand these motors are probably slow for this application but I can upgrade later. What I am trying to figure out after looking at the internet a lot is economical way to get from motor to prop. Seems a tube formed into the transom similar to the Chris Crafts would work but it looks like everyone uses stinger or strut drives. I don't know anybody locally involved in this hobby and the closest Hobby Store that might have knowledge is over 2 hour drive.
Hi Stingray! Sorry to break it to you but you are in the Airplane - fixed wing section of RCU. Even the floats on my Sopwith Baby aren't water tight.

I would recommend you make a post in the R/C Boating area. Welcome to the hobby!

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...discussion-77/

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 12-02-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:00 AM
  #10133  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

My father died on Christmas Eve 1982 Karol so Christmas has always been a double edged occasion ever since.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:54 PM
  #10134  
scottrc
 
scottrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A TREE, KS
Posts: 2,789
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
My father died on Christmas Eve 1982 Karol so Christmas has always been a double edged occasion ever since.
My father passed on the 23rd, daughter on the 26th, and both a cat and dog on Christmas Eve, so I tend to feel for you. My god son died on Memorial day, so I really am not keen on holidays in general. All year I have been caregiver to my 87 year old mother who has good days and bad days, so I hope she doesn't follow this holiday trend.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:35 AM
  #10135  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scottrc View Post
My father passed on the 23rd, daughter on the 26th, and both a cat and dog on Christmas Eve, so I tend to feel for you. My god son died on Memorial day, so I really am not keen on holidays in general. All year I have been caregiver to my 87 year old mother who has good days and bad days, so I hope she doesn't follow this holiday trend.

That's tough Scott.

Fortunately my sister has been released from hospital and she's now home and feeling better. She's even managing to eat solids again for the first time in weeks.

On the other hand my best friend has been admitted to hospital with severe stomach pains! The doctors are not quite sure what the problem is but don't think it's that serious. He's having a biopsy today.

As for me I'm getting all of my jabs done with a view to getting back to England before the end of the year, Covid regulations permitting.
The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:05 AM
  #10136  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,182
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

Good planning David. I got my booster before I left for the UK back in September.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:02 PM
  #10137  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,744
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Seems like with all the Covid variants around we are taking one step forward and two steps back in our fight against them.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:25 AM
  #10138  
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)
 
aymodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 416
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me at all. I suspect that we will be in for a very long run of mutations, outbreaks, booster shots, and overall disruption. But it will eventually burn itself out. The big fear is that it mutates into something even more virulent before it burns out though. That's why vaccines are so important.

I don't want to get political about this. In fact, I don't understand how vaccine's became such a political topic. Vaccine mandates have been around for a long time now, that's how we got rid of diseases like polio. Medical professionals have always had a long list of mandatory vaccines. My daughter even had to get a rabbis vaccine to get an after school job working in a kennel when she was in high school. Until recently, the ant-vax community was a tiny fringe group that had nothing to do with politics, but now its become just one more polarizing political topic being driven by rhetoric instead of hard facts.
The following 3 users liked this post by aymodeler:
biam (12-07-2021), Scorpionjack (12-18-2021), Telemaster Sales UK (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 06:28 AM
  #10139  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,182
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

Agreed! It took the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic two years to burn itself out.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:57 AM
  #10140  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,744
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
Honestly, this doesn't surprise me at all. I suspect that we will be in for a very long run of mutations, outbreaks, booster shots, and overall disruption. But it will eventually burn itself out. The big fear is that it mutates into something even more virulent before it burns out though. That's why vaccines are so important.

I don't want to get political about this. In fact, I don't understand how vaccine's became such a political topic. Vaccine mandates have been around for a long time now, that's how we got rid of diseases like polio. Medical professionals have always had a long list of mandatory vaccines. My daughter even had to get a rabbis vaccine to get an after school job working in a kennel when she was in high school. Until recently, the ant-vax community was a tiny fringe group that had nothing to do with politics, but now its become just one more polarizing political topic being driven by rhetoric instead of hard facts.
You have mirrored my sentiments exactly.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (12-07-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 11:16 PM
  #10141  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

My Carte de Sejour turned up yesterday so now I'm a legal immigrant!
The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 03:22 AM
  #10142  
skylark-flier
 
skylark-flier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, Luray
Posts: 2,198
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Congrats!!!!
And, just in time for Christmas!!!! Double congrats!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:00 AM
  #10143  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,182
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
My Carte de Sejour turned up yesterday so now I'm a legal immigrant!
I guess your club mates will have to stop calling you a wet back.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:31 PM
  #10144  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I saw this on-line. I found it interesting. Perhaps some of you gentlemen might find it interesting too.

John Gordon Fletcher, born in Dundee, Scotland, lived in France before the 1914-1918 War, apparently serving in the French Army before the war broke out. He joined the British Army in the Great War and after the war settled in Albert in Northern France where he worked in the aircraft factory at Meaulte. In 1921 he married a French girl. He was arrested by the Nazis in May 1942 and died in Auschwitz on 8th July 1942.

I know Albert and Meaulte well. Albert was the forward headquarters of the British Army on the Somme throughout most of the Great War and I have visited it many times when doing the Great War battlefields. There is still a big aircraft factory at Meaulte which makes parts for the Airbus. I have seen a "guppy," an Airbus modified to carry the wings of Airbuses, take off from the flying field by the factory and I believe that the German airforce may have occuppied the flying field briefly in 1918.

Must take the dog for a walk then get both of us some breakfast.

The article below published in Dundee's local paper, "The Courier," explains things better than I can.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...jhHPe6zRosxH5Q

Old 12-13-2021, 01:45 AM
  #10145  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I dislike ironing. I live by myself.

There is usually a pile of clean shirts and bedclothes waiting to be ironed in my living room. Early last Sunday morning I started ironing some shirts. Mostly I buy my shirts from Marks and Spencers, and working shirts from charity shops but having sold my house a few years ago and feeling well-wedged I bought a new genuine Viyella shirt. A Viyella shirt, made in England, can cost £80 (94€ or $106 US) or more.

As I proceeded with the ironing I noticed a large hole near one of the sleeves of the Viyella shirt. A mouse must have got into the house and taken the material to build it's nest! It must have been a very discerning mouse; it left all of the rest of the ironing untouched!



Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-13-2021 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:57 PM
  #10146  
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)
 
aymodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 416
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Ouch!
Old 12-13-2021, 04:43 PM
  #10147  
biam
 
biam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leadington Mo.
Posts: 294
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Now the mouse has a “Viyella nest”. Probably did it to attract a female mouse, come over to my new pad baby, only the best for you!😂
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:12 PM
  #10148  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 1,899
Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I now have some good quality rags for whiping the oil off my models at the end of a day's flying!

Has anybody got anything to say about John Fletcher, Post 10144? I expect that the French Resistance men approached him because he spoke English. Nevertheless a brave man.

The following users liked this post:
biam (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 05:30 AM
  #10149  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,182
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
I now have some good quality rags for whiping the oil off my models at the end of a day's flying!

Has anybody got anything to say about John Fletcher, Post 10144? I expect that the French Resistance men approached him because he spoke English. Nevertheless a brave man.
Guys like John Fletcher were a whole another breed. Men of his quality are rare! You should have kept the shirt to wear to the pub! Your friends would think you're broke and buy your drinks.
The following users liked this post:
biam (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 04:41 PM
  #10150  
biam
 
biam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leadington Mo.
Posts: 294
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
I now have some good quality rags for whiping the oil off my models at the end of a day's flying!

Has anybody got anything to say about John Fletcher, Post 10144? I expect that the French Resistance men approached him because he spoke English. Nevertheless a brave man.
appropriate use of what’s left of an expensive shirt considering the price of glow fuel 😏

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.