Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got the parts I need to convert the last four of six K&b 4012 (Marine) to 4011 today. Waiting since before Christmas, called Tuesday, not shipped, waiting on a NV that was supposed to be in stock. Told the to cancel that item, came just before noon. Conversions done, if I need a .40, I'm well set. (And I will, it's my preferred size.)

On the down side, with my eye problems, I like large computer monitors, have been using 27 inch, but I have three computers, two for playing with 3d computer graphics, one on line with nothing else in it. One of the graphics monitors gave up the ghost, but the other one has a 46 inch TV for a monitor, so that's how I think I'll replace the burned up one. Both graphics boxes will then have 46 inch, and the on line box will have the replaced 27 inch. Don't ever get old, it ain't worth it.

Rich.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I,m on my way to the Georgrtown TX. swap meet ..OH Happy days, love swap meets. I'll try to get pics. Time to stock up!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:04 AM
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CURTISSP40
Yes,I know,fuel mileage is not that good,but with the cheaper gas nowadays its not too bad,I get about 12 mpg now,using ethanol free gas.I found this van on Craigs list for $850,Had 75k original mikes on and it had been sitting outdoors (SC) for 10 years. I did all the refurbishing myself,incl; all new brakes,wheel,cyls,calipers,brake lines,fuel tank,tires,interior,floor,etc.The Seats were in great shape and the remaining interior was decent,had to add a radio.I also repainted it to its original black(It was In primer).it took me about three months to do this outside under my carport.(Feb-April)
It runs real good,did not do too much to the engine except had to replace the radiator,hoses,belts,added a few fuel filters in the lines too.I use it a least once a week to go flying. Field is about 12 miles from my house.
Looks like Gas prices ar on the way back up went to $173.9 here in AJ,AZ but I saw it was $189.9 at the circle K and quick trip already yesterday. Anyway U must still be work'n for a living. Bet the O'l Gezzers in your club are out there every day. Especially the ones still married after 40 years and retired. Mama can't stand having them around so tshe sends them out flying every day.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Here's my way to save gas money while on the way to the hobby shops 95 miles away (get about 39 mpg BTW).

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 01-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I see it climbing here, 2 weeks ago it was $1.59 but I paid $1.75 last night.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 AM

Nice looking bike George but my 84" wings would never fit in that trailer!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Add a wing rack to the trailer top Sorta like a Ski rack but built for your wing. But the there's the Fuse ????
Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Here's my way to save gas money while on the way to the hobby shops 95 miles away (get about 39 mpg BTW).
Yep i have strapped a small plane on mine to if its a geat day to ride . Small ones fit in the tour pack . joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2069140  
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM

I have strappeed one on mine or if real small fits in the tour pack.lol joe

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2069141  
Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM

Sorry for the double post RCU is having issues today with me posting anything .
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Add a wing rack to the trailer top Sorta like a Ski rack but built for your wing. But the there's the Fuse ????
When I built that Harbor Freight #90153 trailer kit, I did as they suggested and made stake cutouts in the 3/4" ply. I can remove the Sears X-Cargo box, build and bolt a longer ply box to carry .40 sized plane inside, plus my flight gear.

Originally Posted by joebahl
Yep I have strapped a small plane on mine to if its a great day to ride. Small ones fit in the tour pack. joe
Back in the late 1970's/early 1980's, while a college student, I'd strap 1/2-A planes to the back of my 1971 Honda CB100, travel through Honolulu up the Pali Highway to the Oahu's windward side, and fly at the public model plane field there. Put the wing upside down and fuselage on the seat carefully tied down, flight box on the package rack I had then.Still have the motorcycle.

Sorry for the double post RCU is having issues today with me posting anything.
joebahl, when that has happened, I just simply edited the second post deleting all content replaced with "(deleted)", reason "duplicate".
Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Yep i tried to delete it that way and it froze the screen ,like i said before this is the only site out of many i belong to that is filled with PC glitches . Gets old after a while. joe
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Yep i tried to delete it that way and it froze the screen ,like i said before this is the only site out of many i belong to that is filled with PC glitches . Gets old after a while. joe
I dunno, joebahl, the older I get, the more glitches I got, LOL.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM

A retired gentleman at one of the local clubs here staps his 1/4 scale airplanes backwards to the roof mounted luggage rack on his sedan. He lives within 5 miles of the field and none of the streets he uses has a speed limit higher than 35 so he has no problems.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turned 73 last November - I remember making rubber band powered stick models in the early 50's - first powered plane was a Bhul-Pup, don't remember the manufacturer. Most notible event was buying a K&B 29R to fly combat in the Nationals held at O'hare field, Chicago in the mid to late 50's. Engine had a problem from the day I bought it - took alot of ribbing from my McCoy friends. Sent it back to the factory with a letter stating my intention to use it in the nat's. K&B folks must have souped it up -when I got it back it screamed ---- did well in competition -3rd place!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

A retired gentleman at one of the local clubs here staps his 1/4 scale airplanes backwards to the roof mounted luggage rack on his sedan. He lives within 5 miles of the field and none of the streets he uses has a speed limit higher than 35 so he has no problems.
We had one in our club, a retired doctor, who used to strap a 1/3rd scale Stampe fuselage to the roof rack on his old Volkswagen Passat, until he finally saw sense and bought an old Ford Transit diesel van.

As a youth I used to cycle six miles to the flying field with the free flight models contained in a cardboard box strapped to my back. How many models could I get on the back of my old Triumph?

Name:	Bike at the Serbian Border.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	2069560  
Old 02-01-2015, 05:11 AM

Did that with a Reagle Eagle F-15 ducted fan. On the way home a guy pulled up along side of me and was pointing to my roof ... Well I just thought he was saying neet plane. well when I got home here was the F-15 hanging by one retract knife edge on the left side of the van. Might have not made another block or two. That plane is still in the basement awaiting Fan Replacement cause when starting it The starter probe jumped out of the screw head and into the fan As Bart would say " Crappity Crap Crap Crap "
Just goes ta show ya what a modeler will go through to fly.

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-01-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by petermacesi
Turned 73 last November - I remember making rubber band powered stick models in the early 50's - first powered plane was a Bhul-Pup, don't remember the manufacturer. Most notible event was buying a K&B 29R to fly combat in the Nationals held at O'hare field, Chicago in the mid to late 50's. Engine had a problem from the day I bought it - took alot of ribbing from my McCoy friends. Sent it back to the factory with a letter stating my intention to use it in the nat's. K&B folks must have souped it up -when I got it back it screamed ---- did well in competition -3rd place!

Welcome!
The K@B folks would not have been very smart not to fix you up, you provided them some good advertising. As I remember McCoy and Fox were the engines of choice back then with O.S. coming on strong. 3rd place isn't bad. you must be pretty good!.................OH! I got you by 5 months in the age department. (june)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:51 AM

Hi Guys!

The swap meet in Georgetown TX. went well, even with my house batteries failing me. good thing I had a spare. I forgot to use my camera so no pics.

It seems like 2 stroke fuel engines are on the way out. They are going cheap, I got 8 at exstremely good prices.

also got a set of N.I.B. BVM F-16 retracts for my Byron F-16 with the gear door actuator kit.

Model kits were plentiful of all types and ages someone sold a 8 foot fiberglass F-7-F kit, (Massive) Even two solid models sold at auction A B-52 and KC-135 $20 each.

As far as getting my birds to the field I could not do better than this 1978 ford van with a a 351 windsor for $400. I rebuilt the engine and had the transmission rebuilt (a story all it's own) And still under $1000. it gets 13 mpg and holds everything with room to spare, I used to sleep in it when out of town.

Name:	shop build 013.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	770.1 KB
ID:	2069584  
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by donnyman
Welcome!
The K@B folks would not have been very smart not to fix you up, you provided them some good advertising. As I remember McCoy and Fox were the engines of choice back then with O.S. coming on strong. 3rd place isn't bad. you must be pretty good!.................OH! I got you by 5 months in the age department. (june)
In '68 after my 9 year old son had trouble completing a loop in Control line ( a figure 9 most of the time). Walked into our faforate Hobby shop (ABC Hobbes Now defunct) and here was a Trainer 60 with K&B 61 6 channel FG Futaba radio all for $300.
Well the first 19 Take offs, if it got off the ground, were dead sticks. (Thanks for being so patient Mr Jim Wayner) as Jimmy Durante used to say "Where ever U are") anyway bought a ASP 61 & literally wore it out ... Both engines are sitting on the engine shelf in the basement in WI. That's my story and I'm stick'n too it.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hi Guys!

The swap meet in Georgetown TX. went well, even with my house batteries failing me. good thing I had a spare. I forgot to use my camera so no pics.

It seems like 2 stroke fuel engines are on the way out. They are going cheap, I got 8 at exstremely good prices.

also got a set of N.I.B. BVM F-16 retracts for my Byron F-16 with the gear door actuator kit.

Model kits were plentiful of all types and ages someone sold a 8 foot fiberglass F-7-F kit, (Massive) Even two solid models sold at auction A B-52 and KC-135 $20 each.

As far as getting my birds to the field I could not do better than this 1978 ford van with a a 351 windsor for $400. I rebuilt the engine and had the transmission rebuilt (a story all it's own) And still under $1000. it gets 13 mpg and holds everything with room to spare, I used to sleep in it when out of town.
Nice van. I have a 1995 Ford Econoline cargo that I use to haul my planes.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Nice van. I have a 1995 Ford Econoline cargo that I use to haul my planes.
And I know you are a happy camper. The van is all I need. But Thanks for being so kind, the van is a wreck! but what more does one need! I could have spent a lot more and it wouldn't haul any more or any better.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-31-2021)
Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 AM

I dunno, joebahl, the older I get, the more glitches I got, LOL.
Yep me to Ghost but we still can work harder than the young guys . lol
Old 02-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Yep me to Ghost but we still can work harder than the young guys . lol
Sometimes

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 PM

I just read the "where have all the builder gone?" thread ....very interesting and opinionated. several posters there have posted here and the similarities in the threads is interesting. several pictures submitted showed some real nice builds and craftmenship. But not much of a concensus as to what is going on with the decline in building/builders. I came away from the thread with a fear of not being able to find building materials in the near future. balsa, dope, 2 stroke fuel, components ETC. are disappearing real fast, and makes we think what the future holds. I don't see arf's as the cause or solution. And the builders ain't gone nowhere!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.