Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 02-15-2022, 10:46 AM

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hi David!............ good hearing from you. Yes ......... the Carribbean still looks good!

I don't have a good understanding of why people do what they do except I do believe without a solid mental standing of some sort one is susceptible to negative influences (I am being very diplomatic) weak foundations cause houses to fall.

As I type this, the hum of a soil coring machine is sounding in my ears from just across my south fence. It is my understanding some type of business park is under way, the odd thing is my daughter called from in front of a house for sale that I happened to be looking at on line at the same time, the first place both I and my wife have interest in. a realtor as been contacted. The coincidences are adding up.
There are no coincidences - just progression on a plan we don't comprehend.
The following users liked this post:
biam (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
As I type this, the hum of a soil coring machine is sounding in my ears from just across my south fence. It is my understanding some type of business park is under way, the odd thing is my daughter called from in front of a house for sale that I happened to be looking at on line at the same time, the first place both I and my wife have interest in. a realtor as been contacted. The coincidences are adding up.
That's good news! Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 02-17-2022, 12:37 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Final words on suicide rates before I move on to something more cheerful.

The four countries with lowest suicide rates are all Caribbean countries which were once British colonies. Jamaica, which was also once a British colony, also has a low suicide rate at 2.1 of its citizens taking there own lives per 100,000 inhabitants. This begs the question, "Why is the suicide rate over three times as high in the UK and nearly eight times higher in the USA compared with that of Jamaica?"

Even more intriguing to me is that the country with second-highest suicide rate is Guyana, also a former British colony in the tropics. Here the suicide rate is 40.3 per 100,000.

To be able to give an informed opinion on these matters one would need to know a great deal more about the history, socio-economic conditions and culture of these countries. Also what support, formal and informal, exists for mentally ill people.

A final note on the subject. Most suicides in the USA are disproportionately from men in the higher economic strata, e.g, doctors, lawyers, dentists and business executives. In the UK it's the exact obverse of the American situation, i.e, proportionately more men with low status, badly paid jobs take their own lives.

On to lighter matters. Did I tell you that I'd treated myself to a Laser V twin when I was last in England? I intend to build a 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane for it once I've repaired my BE2 and built the Flying Flea. https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product...triplane-plan/
Old 02-17-2022, 05:07 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

What no picture of the engine?!
Old 02-18-2022, 12:43 AM

Your wish is my command.

My New Laser 160 V Twin.

Last edited by David John Davis; 02-18-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:25 AM

Now I'm jealous! Beautiful engine! Even my text is green with envy!
Old 02-18-2022, 07:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A GENUINE PIECE OF JEWELRY !

I've not paid much attention to Laser engines before. Does the V-Twin indeed have fully separate intake and exhaust systems ? If so, that would effectively make it two engines on a common crankshaft.

I have an older Saito 80 Twin that has separate intake and exhaust. The instructions are vague on how to adjust needle valves, but I found that my best results were when I leaned out each cylinder while placing a finger in the exhaust plume and judging the temperature of the plume. Just don't get your finger too close, as it gets extremely hot as you lean the needle.

If Laser provides a better instruction, I'd like to learn about it.

Dick
Old 02-18-2022, 08:17 AM

Each cylinder of a Laser V twin has its own carburetter and its own silencer. The manufacturers recommend the use of two tanks or if only one tank is used, two clunks so that each carburetter receives its own fuel supply. The needles are set at the factory but may be fine tuned starting with the main needle on one cylinder and then adjusting the other when you are satisfied with the first. Having set the main needles you then adjust the slow-running needles. They also make an 80 single which uses the same components and they have just started to offer flat twins.

The main business of the factory is the production of parts for tools powered by compressed air so machines are not always available to make components for the model aeroplane engines. The 160 V Twin is not currently in production. I was lucky to get mine. It was built for their German agent but the poor man has had a stroke and is no longer able to continue working.

If you are interested in a specific engine, an email to Jonathan Harper will advise you as to it's availability. Welcome To Laser Engines

Old 02-18-2022, 09:34 AM

Great news!

I took the dog for her evening walk earlier this evening and when we were almost home, we saw a small flock of about fifty Common European Cranes flying north! Well north-west if you must be pedantic but they were definitely heading in a northerly direction back to their summer breeding grounds in Russia and Scandinavia. This advanced guard was followed by a bigger flock heading the same way.

If the cranes are heading north, can Spring be far behind?
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (03-03-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 09:47 AM

The machine work is fantastic!
Old 02-18-2022, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Each cylinder of a Laser V twin has its own carburetter and its own silencer. The manufacturers recommend the use of two tanks or if only one tank is used, two clunks so that each carburetter receives its own fuel supply. The needles are set at the factory but may be fine tuned starting with the main needle on one cylinder and then adjusting the other when you are satisfied with the first. Having set the main needles you then adjust the slow-running needles. They also make an 80 single which uses the same components and they have just started to offer flat twins.

The main business of the factory is the production of parts for tools powered by compressed air so machines are not always available to make components for the model aeroplane engines. The 160 V Twin is not currently in production. I was lucky to get mine. It was built for their German agent but the poor man has had a stroke and is no longer able to continue working.

If you are interested in a specific engine, an email to Jonathan Harper will advise you as to it's availability. Welcome To Laser Engines
That is a beautiful piece of engineering, but the thought of all the work needed to get it tuned right (and to keep it in tune) would scare me off. I know that for many, it is a total labor of love and I truly admire those who can wield magic with engines like these. For me, I will stick with my LiPo packs, chargers, and brushless outrunners.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by aymodeler
That is a beautiful piece of engineering, but the thought of all the work needed to get it tuned right (and to keep it in tune) would scare me off. I know that for many, it is a total labor of love and I truly admire those who can wield magic with engines like these. For me, I will stick with my LiPo packs, chargers, and brushless outrunners.
One of their single cylinder engines would suit you better!

Seriously, in my experience, once you've set up a Laser, you don't have to touch it again.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:16 PM

One of their single cylinder engines would suit you better!

Seriously, in my experience, once you've set up a Laser, you don't have to touch it again.
I played around with a lot of nitro engines when I was a kid, and when I decided to get back into the hobby as an adult, I started out heading down that route. I do appreciate the engineering and as I spent a lot of years twisting wrenches on my cars and consider myself reasonably competent mechanic. But once I discovered electric power for RC, I never looked back. I love the quiet, clean power, the reliability, and the fact that I can run them up in my basement.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:12 AM

Personally I prefer the steady beat of a well-tuned engine to the asthmatic wheeze of an electric motor and cleaning the models at the end of the day is all part of the experience.

The weather here is clear and cold with light winds. I am going to put on my red or orange heavyweight overall and go flying!

Apologies to all asthma suffers.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Warbirds don't go WEEEEEEE as they fly by!
Old 02-19-2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
Warbirds don't go WEEEEEEE as they fly by!
Yeah, I know the sound isn't the same ... But you would be surprised at just how much sound at speed is actually prop noise (in a former life I used to run a lot of acoustic tests on high speed prop concepts, we really struggled to get the prop induced noise down to levels required to meet Orange County CA limits). I'm not saying that it is the same, it is most definitely not, especially on the ground, but an electric warbird swinging a good sized prop doesn't actually sound like a little piggy going to market either

I totally get it though, and if I ever do get around to building my Nosen p-51, I'll probably opt for a gasser engine. But for the .46 - .60 sized sport planes I am building now, I'll stick with electric.

p.s.; I will also confess that I mostly fly foamies these days. Just toss them in the car and then toss them in the air ... I know, lazy mans flying
Old 02-20-2022, 07:56 AM

My 125 powered Mustang with a Scimitar has an awesome doppler effect on low passes. That is a sound you cannot get when the motor goes WEEEEE. The combination of exhaust pulses and prop noise on those passes puts a big smile on my face, especially as it echoes off a barn wall.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:00 PM

Recent storms in England have destroyed a gate guardian.

https://www.key.aero/article/storm-e...Q-99SvgPuINMNA
Old 02-21-2022, 06:02 AM

From the looks of the rot it was just a matter of time. Didn't know the cockpit and nose were plywood. Then again same company that built the Mosquito.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:25 PM

On the weekend of 5th-6th March our club will be holding a static display in a local village hall. I am in the process of repairing the BE2e for the event. We are contacting other clubs to see whether they'd like to participate. I'll be sure to post some pictures.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:12 AM

Sounds like fun!
Old 02-23-2022, 06:56 AM

On the weekend of 5th-6th March our club will be holding a static display in a local village hall. I am in the process of repairing the BE2e for the event. We are contacting other clubs to see whether they'd like to participate. I'll be sure to post some pictures.
Don't forget to pay tribute to Hazel SIG on the 6th. Her 100th birthday party.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:56 PM

Wednesday 23rd February turned out to be a fine day here in central France, 14C and light winds. Ten or twelve of us turned up at the field including Erwan and two of his three sons. Erwan lives and works in Paris so only puts in an appearance occasionally. He usually flies old patternships and he's one of the best pilots in the club. His second son, Hubert, has built a small scale Bird of Time fitted with an electric motor which he flies with great competence. Doubtless his father helped him with the project. They also brought along a well-flown ARTF trainer which Hubert proceeded to fly in inverted circuits, something I'm incapable of doing! He is twelve years old!

While I was preparing my model for flight there was a sudden cry of surprise and when I looked up I saw an electric powered glider spinning in. It had had a mid-air with a Baron! The Baron had already hit the ground but part of it's wing as well as other bits of confetti continued to flutter down in the light airs.

It's the first mid-air I've seen since I moved to France in 2015.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:06 AM

At least it wasn't your Baron!
Old 02-24-2022, 08:22 AM

I've had three mid airs.

On the first occasion I was flying an ARTF Citabria. There was only one other model in the sky a Flair Cub. I didn't think that they were so close together! I was in front and below the Cub when I decided to do a vertical climb. His propeller took off my tailplane and the Cub continued to fly on with the banded on wing slightly dislodged!

On the second occasion I was flying a Flair Hooligan, wish I still had it! Several of us were in the air flying right-hand circuits. My Hooligan ploughed straight into the back of a colleague's brand new and expensive ARTF which was on its maiden flight! Hooligan by name...

The third mid air was between my Austrian Magnatilla and a clubmate's Flair Puppeteer. Semi scale models of the Fokker Eindekker and the Sopwith Pup. Several friends urged us to dogfight above the trenches! It's impossible to keep an eye on two models at the same time of course. A quick glance to see where he his and by the time you get there he's not there anymore! My undercarriage clipped the top of his wing after a frontal approach and dislodged one of his ailerons. The pilot managed to land the Puppeteer without further damage but I still claimed a "victory!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.