Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 02-24-2022, 08:34 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Never had a mid air but did lose a wing. I knocked a drone out of the sky once too, never even touched it, just the disturbance of the plane flying by at high speed was enough to flip it and send it straight down. Never fly a drone at the edge of a runway!
Old 02-25-2022, 06:18 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one mid-air not too long after I got back into the hobby as an adult. I was flying a Hanger-9 Alpha trainer in the pattern and somehow got tangled with someone flying one of those little foamy profile 3D planes. He came up under me and clipped the landing gear on my Alpha and busted into a hundred pieces. The Alpha shrugged a little bit and went on flying with no damage.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts

Goes to show you how disposable ARFs and RTFs are these days. Not much to pick up after a crash.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:25 AM
CptDan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm back, had to quit flying because of tremors in my right hand about 2010. Born in 47 so that qualifies to fart dust, I guess. What got me back as I went fishing at a local lake here in NorCal and caught nothing. As I was leaving, I heard that recognizable glow engine sound. I saw a motorhome that has a few planes parked near it so I stopped to talk to the pilot. That's all it took. I'm sitting here in my den with 5 parkflyer sized airplanes all dusted off and ready to rip. Been quite a few changes in Radios and frequencies so I'm again on the learning curve. Ready to have fun again. Started in about 1962 flying U-control. Got back into RC in early 2000.
The following users liked this post:
Sub Chaser (03-21-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 11:13 AM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Goes to show you how disposable ARFs and RTFs are these days. Not much to pick up after a crash.
Yeah. Cheap to buy though and depending on the plane, cheap to repair sometimes too. I have Freewing Rebel EDF foamy that has had a few "hard" landings. A field repair with a bit of tape got her back in the air for a few more sessions. Then I picked up a new bare fuselage and move all the other bits over and she is as good as new!

I actually enjoy building more than flying, so I end up with a lot of time and "emotional" investment in the planes that I build. Consequently, I end up flying cheap(ish) foamies since I have no such attachment.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can understand that. I always saw a crash as a hanger opening. Did you ever finish your Cessna 182?
Old 02-25-2022, 03:42 PM
aymodeler

I can understand that. I always saw a crash as a hanger opening. Did you ever finish your Cessna 182?
Unfortunately no. I took a break from the hobby for a bit to get back into woodworking (I started making toys for my new grandson), then I ran into some health issues (all resolved now). So other than lurking around a few websites , I have not been very active in the hobby for the last few years. I only went out flying once in 2020 and not at all last year. I plan to retire this summer so I will have more time to get back into both building and flying. And I still have it on the building board ... every time I walk by I keep saying to myself that I need to get back at it!
Old 02-25-2022, 04:04 PM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by CptDan
Well, I'm back, had to quit flying because of tremors in my right hand about 2010. Born in 47 so that qualifies to fart dust, I guess. What got me back as I went fishing at a local lake here in NorCal and caught nothing. As I was leaving, I heard that recognizable glow engine sound. I saw a motorhome that has a few planes parked near it so I stopped to talk to the pilot. That's all it took. I'm sitting here in my den with 5 parkflyer sized airplanes all dusted off and ready to rip. Been quite a few changes in Radios and frequencies so I'm again on the learning curve. Ready to have fun again. Started in about 1962 flying U-control. Got back into RC in early 2000.
I just posted about how I let life get in the way these last few years myself. Now that I read your story I am even more inspired to get back at too!
Old 02-26-2022, 11:39 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I have not owned a television for at least ten years, however, when I was in England a few weeks ago, I was watching a quiz show on a friend's television set in which four minor personalities I'd never heard of were asked a series of general knowledge questions. The last round concerned the USA. One of the questions was, "Where is the Golden Gate Bridge?" Contestants were then invited to place a marker on a map of the USA where they thought the Golden Gate Bridge was. I found myself shouting at the television, "San Francisco!" "Northern California!" "It connects San Francisco to Oakland!" One of them got it right, the others placed their markers all over the map and when all of the scores were added up, one of the contestants didn't even score zero!

This set me thinking.

1. Am I cleverer than most or do I just have a better memory?
2. Is the educational system worse than it was when I was at school or do they teach them computer programming at the expense of subjects like geography?

I suspect that I must have known the location of the Golden Gate Bridge when I was at the most fifteen years old, quite possibly when I was much younger and geography was my second-worst subject at grammar school!

Sunday 27th February has dawned clear and cold without a breath of wind. There is a two-hour radio programme which starts at 07.00 every Sunday morning on France Musique featuring the music of JS Bach. I enjoy Bach's music so I won't be taking the dog for her walk until it's over. She's nudging me with her nose as I type this! After her walk I'm going flying!

PS. I saw an interview of the Australian comedian Jim Jeffries on YouTube in which he berated Americans for not knowing much about anything outside the USA, then the interviewer asked him, "Do you know the capital of Georgia?"

I thought, "I know this. Tbilisi!"

Have a nice day gentlemen and get those models into the air if you can!

Flicker (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 11:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by David John Davis
This set me thinking... 2. Is the educational system worse than it was when I was at school or do they teach them computer programming at the expense of subjects like geography?
I seriously doubt they are even teaching elemental think skills like computer programming.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I seriously doubt they are even teaching elemental think skills like computer programming.
My 8 year old is learning basic programming in an after school program. He is 8 years old.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:01 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

My 8 year old is learning basic programming in an after school program. He is 8 years old.
Most 8 year olds are 8 years old.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:08 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum
Most 8 year olds are 8 years old.
The Department of Redundancy Department

Old 03-02-2022, 03:28 PM
FlyerInOKC

I meant to say he is in the 3rd grade. The ironic part is Oklahoma is in the basement when comes to rating the states by education quality.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:24 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

8 years old is about the starting age where a child is mature enough to learn to play a small stringed instrument like a ukulele or a wind instrument like a baroque recorder (BTDT as teacher). To an earlier age, a recorder is a whistle.

Over at Hip Pocket Aeronautics has an archive of old out-of-print model magazines, Like Air Trails. I find various stories about aviation then very enlightening. Most interesting for example is the article in May 1942 Air Trails, Page 14, titled, Thin Air Fighter by John R. Hoyt. It speaks of ceiling limitations where special pressurized and heated flight suits are mandatory at 41,000 feet and beyond. Thus, many of the high altitude fighters of the time were practically limited to 38,000 feet. It goes into the practical aspects with example illustrations of what a pilot could face in combat. An unpressurized body's blood can boil at 60,000 feet!

Interspersed with model airplane articles had these other information articles inserted. No doubt such articles were enlightening to the youth who read them, as well as the younger men, not to mention also others. From what I understand, the schooling of children then was vastly superior to our current instruction, reading levels and math skills were higher.

The model hobby back then was considered as a training ground for future aircraft mechanics, servicing personnel, design engineers and pilots. The training process starts at an early age. School shops with practical hand-on in high school like automotive, wood/carpentry, electric, metal, agriculture and etc. shops helped the youth to find out their skills, interests that build for skills, etc., to prepare them for the working world. I've seen a disappearance of these programs in a number of schools, where now the emphasis seems to be toward college preparatory. Yet, not all have the aptitudes or interests to pursue these.

About the only way for youth to develop these skills is to grow up on a farm or have a father who is a handyman at home. Just for amusement, I am including a couple clips of ads from the then prominent America's Hobby Center (AHC). These a half-A and A kit and engine combos from 1953. I think I would have enjoyed being a young man back then. (I wasn't even born yet. )

AHC ad clip of combos from Sept. 1953 Air Trails magazine. $7 then is about $70 now.

Another AHC ad clip of combos from Sept. 1953 Air Trails magazine. $10 then is about $100 now.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:45 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

G. GHOSTLER

You hit on a very important truth. I grew up in the era you spoke to and it prepared me for things I had no idea even existed. The teaching methods today are controlled by the cost, teachers have to pay out of pocket for school supplies from the low salaries they receive. this is a real sore spot for me especially when I see billions of our tax dollars are wasted on governmental spending when our schools are literally falling apart. I was shocked when I use cursive text and the younger generation cannot read it or count our currency.

Many parents today can't teach much because they haven't been taught much themselves, have you noticed how selfish people are? it's a me first society that is in a state of degeneration. America in many ways is on a downslope of mediocracy, God only knows how it ends.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-03-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Unfortunately I must agree Donny.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:57 AM
acdii

Parents can't teach because if they do the teachers get on their cases and cause all kinds of trouble. I taught my daughter math, the teacher didn't like my method because it went against her method. My daughter write in Cursive and was yelled at by the teacher for doing so. My wife talked to the teacher because she knew I would probably get banned or worse if I "talked" to her.

She is a junior in HS and still has not been taught how to use a ruler.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:19 AM
David John Davis

I have bored the whole world by telling everybody that a man with the same name as me was killed by Baron Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron and the most successful fighter pilot of the 1914-1918 War.

A few years ago I employed a man to research my namesake. From public records he found out that David Davies's (same name different spelling) father had written to the War Office in December 1918, a month after the war had ended, to ask whether there was any news of his son who had been reported missing in April 1917. I received a photocopy of Mr Davies's hand written letter. The spelling was correct as was the grammar. David Davies's father was a coal miner.

Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad. We must be mad if we do not get the basics right.
Flicker (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:19 AM
Stikum

I have been a high school teacher for the last 26 years. I teach Business and Mathematics courses, so at least a few graduates can both read a tape measure and count change back without a calculator....

Public schools have lost track of foundations. Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic are not emphasized enough, so we can broaden the school experience. We have students in Advanced Algebra who don't know their times tables - some can't even add two-digit numbers. Ninth-grade students average 4th grade reading level. The High School exit exam went away - too tough. The movie Idiocracy is coming true.

I fought the good fight, but I'm retiring after summer school this year. I'll find more productive ways to use my time.
David John Davis (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:36 AM
acdii

This is what happens when Administrators with zero teaching experience set the rules in the classroom. Too much emphasis of passing a test, they teach to pass a test, not teach to educate.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:08 PM
David John Davis

For years the English educational system had two levels of qualification in secondary education: the Ordinary Level Certificate of Education and the Advanced Level Certificate of Education, known as O Levels and A Levels for short.

I used to be a careers adviser at a girls' school in London. This school was the second best publicly funded girls' school in England. The Careers Teacher was also the Head of the French Department. Her girls used to study old O Level French papers from the 1960s. They were much more difficult than the contemporary A Level exams.

I rest my case.

Last edited by David John Davis; 03-03-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:24 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It saddens me to read that our nation is producing idiots.

I am happy that my children are more proficient than I in the area of learning basics skills. the truth be told I was a slow learner and did not grasp the basics until later on in life but I did have a good foundation on which to build.

The A.H.C. AD Ghostler posted shows the Spitzy .o45 engine which was my first two stroker I now have two, also several OK Cubs.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:45 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
This is what happens when Administrators with zero teaching experience set the rules in the classroom. Too much emphasis of passing a test, they teach to pass a test, not teach to educate.
This is what happens when politicians make rules and administrators go along to keep their jobs.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Stikum

This is what happens when politicians make rules and administrators go along to keep their jobs.
Sad, but the worse the school performs, the more money it gets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.