Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-18-2022, 04:54 AM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

There is snow on the ground here this morning, and not a dusting but at least an inch.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

LOL ouch. Greg from Heli Direct in Muncie area posted a bunch of snow pics. No thankeee
Old 04-18-2022, 05:12 AM
acdii

To think, Saturday I was out cutting grass. Yesterday I cut down a bunch of trees too. Wake up this morning, all the grass is snow covered as well as the roof.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 250 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
To think, Saturday I was out cutting grass. Yesterday I cut down a bunch of trees too. Wake up this morning, all the grass is snow covered as well as the roof.
That is mother nature's way of saying you should have gone flying instead!
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (04-18-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

I have just returned from the flying field. For some weeks I have been practising low level flying as this skill is important in the first and last flying round of La Coupe Des Barons, i.e, the Caisse Baguettes and Le Limbo. I am pleased to report that I have the engine in my grey Baron, an OS 52FS, running beautifully. I tried two propellers this afternoon a 12x6 and a 12x4. I think that the 12x4 was the better propeller for flying at slow speed and low altitude But I will experiment with propellers for the high-speed events. Any suggestions? While I was flying I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was a newish member of the called Alain who teases me about having won the four-stroke class at La Coupe Des Barons last year. He calls me "The World Champion!"

He had two one-metre high polystyrene sticks in his hands together with their wooden bases. He indicated that he wanted to erect them on the glider strip next to our runway. I climbed to altitude to allow him to do this safely then on the next pass I smashed one of the sticks to pieces! That left me with one to aim at. The next two passes were close but no cigar. Someone else ran out and set up a second stick and I knocked that to pieces too! Trouble was I was flying so slowly with the engine on tick-over and the wheels on the ground that when my propeller touched the polystyrene stick it stopped the engine completely!

Nevertheless I was pretty happy with my flying, the performace of the model and engine.

I intend to recover the wing of the grey model for the competition just to make it look smart. I am awaiting the delivery of some Ukrainian cockades from Pyramid Models for this year's event.

My Reserve Baron in the British markings is not so easy to fly as the grey one because I reduced the dihedral of the wing to make the model more responsive. Not a good idea! Nevertheless, this was the Baron which won the four-stroke class last year.
Flicker (04-21-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
Old 04-20-2022, 08:17 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes it was fun! I have never been so well-prepared for La Coupe Des Barons before so I hope to do well in the competition in June. I trust that I haven't peaked too early! I plan to fit an after-market silencer to the OS 52 to gain a little more power if the budget will stand it.

I am lying in bed with a cup of tea beside me as I type this on my laptop, which is why this post will be under my real name not TSUK! I'm waiting for the sun to rise before taking the dog for her walk. I flew the Senior Telemaster last Sunday incidentally. It is in serious need of an overhaul but I have too many other projects to contend with for the moment. Today for example, will be spent replacing the exhaust on the van.

Last edited by David John Davis; 04-20-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

What happened to the exhaust on the van old age or did it get snagged on something? Since the auto manufacturers switched to stainless steel over mild steel you don't see as many muffler/exhaust shops any more. The stainless steel exhaust systems hold up a lot better and for a much longer time.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 04-21-2022 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:45 AM
acdii

No kidding, our 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis still has the original exhaust.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hmm... Does this sound familiar or what?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/726-feral...111142732.html
Old 04-21-2022, 05:47 AM
acdii

Wild bacon!
Old 04-21-2022, 07:52 AM
David John Davis

The van has covered 416,000 kms since new.(258,000 miles.) It's twenty-three years old. The exhaust which was fitted has rusted and I cannot have the emissions tested until it's replaced. My tame tractor engineer was not available today. We intend to fit the new exhaust tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

I new exhaust will definitely help with passing an emissions test. Also it won't hurt to cheat the passengers out of monoxide poisoning.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:33 PM
David John Davis

We finally fitted the exhaust yesterday. We started at 08.30 and we completed the job by 10.15. I have an appointment to have the emissions checked at 10.40 today. With a brand new CAT and recent fuel filter it should pass. I am planning on having the seat repaired as I will be using the van to go back home to England if and when the house sells.

The weather forecast for the weekend is not good but I hope to have the opportunity to make the final adjustments to the throttle and slow speed mixture settings on each of the Barons.

There have been some private enquiries from people who post on this site about my sister's health. I managed to talk to her on Messenger a couple of nights ago. She will start her tenth course of chemotherapy next Thursday. She is in good spirits and is doing a little gardening, planting summer flowering bulbs. She gets tired easily but has been told to rest as much as possible. I plan to be back in England for her birthday on 2nd June.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good news all way around!
Old 04-23-2022, 07:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Good news all way around!
Thank you Mike.

The van passed it's emissions test today and I now have the engines in my Barons functioning perfectly. I have emailed the organisers of La Coupe Des Barons and have suggested that they might care to put all of the four strokes into the same group. The sound of ten single cylinder four strokes in the air at the same time would be something worth hearing!
Old 04-23-2022, 08:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by telemaster sales uk
thank you mike.

The van passed it's emissions test today and i now have the engines in my barons functioning perfectly. I have emailed the organisers of la coupe des barons and have suggested that they might care to put all of the four strokes into the same group. The sound of ten single cylinder four strokes in the air at the same time would be something worth hearing!
Agreed!
Old 04-23-2022, 07:22 PM
acdii

For the first time, and never would have thought I would do this, ever, but bought season tickets for our local AHL team. I always liked hockey but I don't care for any other sport, except bowling, but thats a game I play, not something I watch others play. Tonight was my wifes birthday and the company she works for has 6 box seats and a once per season suite access. Well no one used the Suite this season, so she got to use it for her birthday. We have been to quite a few games starting in 2019, then with the Vid, no games until 21 season, and once the face diaper mandates were dropped, we got to go again.

The suite was pretty nice, the view of the entire rink was great, and so I looked up what tickets cost for the back row just under where we were, and 3 seats were available and affordable so I am now a season ticket holder.

Best part, tonight the Ice Hogs Clinched for the playoffs. We had a blast. I also got free tickets to the last two games of the regular season, going again tomorrow night to watch them play against Iowa. The last game is against the Wolves. The very first game I got to see was against the Wolves, and the Hogs won.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:01 AM
David John Davis

Default Tails of Tiko

Good Day Gentlemen

Ever since I acquired my Swiss Shepherd, Tiko, I have posted little stories about her on a well-known social media website reflecting events which have occurred in our lives together. I pretend to be the dog actually typing the stories and I often post first thing on a Sunday morning while listening to "Le Bach du Dimanche" a two-hour radio programme featuring the music of Johan Sebastian Bach (1685-1750.) Sometimes the presenter plays derivatives of Bach's music like Jacques Loussier's jazz interpretations or the compositions of Bach's sons. In my posts i have referred to the composer as JS Bark to continue the doggy theme! A girl I used to work with has suggested that I contact a publisher and have the stories illustrated in a book for children.

My latest oeuvre is below. Perhaps it might amuse you.

Hello there dog lovers everywhere it's time for more Tails of Tiko!

I have managed to get my paws on the computer while My David listens to his JS Bark music programme as he does from 07.00-09.00 every Sunday morning which delays our morning walk and my breakfast! However, I musn't complain, I must be the luckiest dog in all of France! My David is very kind to me, he takes me for two walks everyday unless it's raining heavily and he gives me two meals on a daily basis, tinned meat and croquettes! Yum yum!

Spring has come to La Creuse and the ditches at the side of the roads are blooming with wild flowers. Our Standard Walk takes us towards the centre of the village then up a little road to an even smaller road with only one house on it unless you count the house on the junction which is a holiday home anyway so there's little chance of a car driving down that little road. The road must be at least two hundred metres long so My David lets me off the lead so that I can run about a bit. Sometimes we meet the lady who lives there. She makes a great fuss of me and calls me her "bébé!" I wonder whether she'd be so kind to me if she realised that I do my poos in the grass verges outside her house!

There is a large pond in her garden and an overflow pipe runs under the road in a conduit to an even bigger pond some distance away on the other side of the road. The pond in the garden must be full of frogs because at this time of the year you can easily hear them croaking. They are really noisy! I wonder how the lady manages to get any sleep. I suppose that double glazing helps.

There a quite a few dogs in the village which I've already told you about. There is the Fat Terrier, the Other Terrier, the Chocolate Labrador, the Annoying Toy Poodle, the Spaniel and the Big Border Collie. Most of them keep their distance from me except the Big Border Collie who is usually chained up or out on a walk with his owner on the lead.

Well last Friday night I discovered another dog! It was getting dark but not yet dead of night, My David had just finished talking to Miss Blue Eyes on Messenger and I was looking out of the French doors when I saw a white dog with a big black nose just the other side of the door, in fact he looked rather like me. I was not going to stand for another dog trying to get into our house so I growled at him. He growled back! I bared my teeth. He did the same! I started barking at him and would you believe it, the cheeky dog barked back! By now I was jumping up and down determined to get at him! My David was laughing like a drain but I didn't think that there was anything to laugh about after all we were about to be invaded by another dog! My David opened the door and I shot out at my best speed which is really quick but the White Dog must have been even faster than me because he was nowhere to be seen even though I charged about the garden as fast as I could and even ran up and down the road on the other side of the hedge. At least I'd frightened him away! My David was still laughing when he called me back into the house. I still didn't understand why he was so amused but I got a dog biscuit for my trouble.

That's about it so bow wow for now.

Tiko

Such a shame that my late best friend Michael Harker is no longer with us, he could have illustrated the stories perfectly but 11th September this year is the twentieth anniversary of his death. I'll have to finish his Flying Flea before then.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:43 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Hockey? I love hockey!

acdii (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 06:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I would keep that trophy hidden Andy! The owner is bound to come looking for it!
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
BarracudaHockey (04-24-2022), David John Davis (04-24-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 02:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

My Galaxy Models Mystic starts to take shape.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking plane David!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:19 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I plan to finish it in a similar scheme to this one. I have already had Cloud Models permission to replicate it.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I own a number of items produced in various parts of the world. My van is German as is my stove, oven and dishwasher. My hi-fi was made in England and many of my model aeroplane engines were made in Japan or Taiwan though I have others which were made in China, Italy, Germany and England. My computer was made in China.

In view of recent events in Eastern Europe I started thinking about Russia as an economic power and then I wondered, "Do I own anything which was made in Russia?" The answer is "Yes," but it is not a recent purchase. When I was a youth, well over fifty years ago, I bought a pair of pliers from a market stall. It was sometime later before I noticed "USSR" stamped on them. They were cheap and not well-finished but otherwise the quality is excellent and they have never let me down when I needed a pair of pliers of that size.

In the 1990s Russian MDS engines were imported into England and initially they were popular because they were cheap. I observed many owners having trouble with them and decided not to invest in one myself. There are those who swear by them but most owners swore at them!

I once had the opportunity to visit the Irvine factory in London. I saw boxes upon boxes of Russian model aeroplane engines, not MDS, I have forgotten the name of the manufacturer, and I asked whether Irvine proposed to sell them. "Certainly not" was the reply!

Anybody else own anything Russsian?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.