Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 06-04-2022, 01:36 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the thread Mike!

A few pictures of our "interclubs" on 22nd May culminating in my Big Guff in flight. http://berrymarchemodelisme.free.fr/...b%20MP%204.mp4

If you see a big white furry dog in any of the pictures, she's mine!
Old 06-05-2022, 04:46 AM
donnyman

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

mkjohnston .............. welcome aboard, Your story is familiar to me Tell us more, reading and looking at pictures of others is very enjoyable. The Kadet is a excellent choice for a beginner somehow I have managed to accumulate plans for the various sizes of it, all good smooth flyers with conservative power. for some reason I don't completely understand I haven't flown anything for quite sometime now but I can rarely enter my shop without twiddling with something on one of of my birds. In post 10598 that gull wing thing I posted it has been basically finished for years and it is just collecting dust I have no desire to fly it. This is it.

Over ten years old and never flown
this picture is 10 yrs old. still got it and the plans. I am considering offering it to the local club for auction. The hair on my head is a lot whiter.

I can remember when I could only dream of even getting close to something like this much less owning it. I built it between several other builds ......... crazy!

FlyerInOKC
You do excellent work Donny!
Thank you! I wish I could do better. You ain't bad yourself!
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (06-23-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 06:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 251 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm a piker by comparision!
Old 06-05-2022, 03:43 PM
donnyman

While looking through my picture file I saw this and thought you guys would be amused.

more than I can handle

I did not care for the way it flew
Old 06-05-2022, 05:08 PM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

How can if get enough thrust with most of the prop being taken up by the cowl? Only the tips would give it enough thrust. Bet there is a crap ton of turbulence behind that prop.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
How can if get enough thrust with most of the prop being taken up by the cowl? Only the tips would give it enough thrust. Bet there is a crap ton of turbulence behind that prop.
There's more to the picture than simply horsepower. For example, a 0.25 BHP Brown Jr. ignition engine turning a 14 inch prop at 6,000 RPM was able to power an 8 foot wingspan free flight. A .15 engine putting out 0.25 BHP turning an 8 inch prop at 14,000 RPM (or Schneurle .09 same HP turning a 7" prop at 18,000 RPM) would never be able to cut it. That is why HP alone without considering putting the wind out where it does the most good is not a good gauge.

Sceptre Flight AU: Brown Junior Engine Test (Feb 1957 MAN)

This is why there still is a place for the older, cross scavenge engines manufactured prior to the 1980's. Most of my engines are cross scavenged. Most cross scavenged were basically torque engines, able to turn larger diameter props albeit at lower RPM's, where their HP peaked out. This is why Bill Winter, long time magazine editor latest with Model Aviation back in the late 1970's decried all the manufacturers discontinuing their cross scavenged for modern Schneurle. He liked to fly bulkier, slower flying airplanes like Buzzard Bombshells and other old time crates. The smaller props didn't put the wind outside the fuselage where it did its best.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Good Day Gentlemen!

On 27th May I flew from Limoges to Manchester to celebrate my sister's seventy-second birthday on 2nd June. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last October. My sister's birthday always coincides with the Queen's Official Birthday but this year was the seventieth anniversay of the Queen's coronation so even more special. I had to remove my shoes and belt at the airport, take the laptop out of its case and put my mobile phone in a seperate tray, followed by my bag containing enough clothes for a week in a third tray.

I had previously ordered a Laser 100 for a club colleague because it is difficult to import Lasers into the EU since the Brexit. It duly arrived at the friends' house where I was staying. On the return trip Manchester Airport was packed with people wanting to fly off somewhere. I put my belt, shoes, laptop and mobile phone on two trays followed by my bag on a third one. The first two trays got through without a problem but my bag was being retained while people who were behind me in the queue were collecting their luggage. I approached the desk and asked two lads of Indian descent what the hold up was.They were wearing a uniform but I did not notice whether they were customs officers or security. They were no more than twenty-five years old. They politely asked me what was in the bag. I replied, "Clothes, razor, wasbag, that sort of thing." Then I suddenly remembered the engine, "...oh, and a model aeroplane engine!"

"A model aeroplane engine?"

"Yes it's a 16cc four-stroke.I had it sent to me direct from the factory while I was in England."

"A four-stroke! How big a model will it fly?"

"Well that depends upon the model of course but it could fly a model with an eight foot wingspan quite easily."

"Any tools?"

"No."

We were getting on splendidly when we were interrupted by a Nigerian woman probably their boss.

"WHAT IS GOING ON?" she demanded.

"This gentleman has a new model aeroplane engine in a box in his bag."

"WHAT IS A MODEL AEROPLANE ENGINE?"

"It is used to power an aircraft which is too small to support a human being," I replied. Then I added, " I like to build model aeroplanes and fly them by remote control."

She ordered one of the two lads to fetch my pack and to remove the box. She opened the box, some oil had spilled out onto the bubble wrap around the engine. Lasers always run up their engines to make sure they work correctly before despatch. "WHAT IS THIS?" she demanded. I said, "I think it's oil." "FETCH ME A SCRAPER!" she ordered. She took a sample of the oil, took it to some sort of machine to test it for explosives or drugs I assume, then went back to her underlings and said, "OK LET HIM HAVE IT."

And so I got onto the aircraft with no further trouble and Guy got his engine yesterday. I expect that the lady was under stress, if not, I'd hate to meet her in a bad mood!

PS. I'd forgotten that you get several Allen keys with every Laser engine sold but they never noticed them but smuggling drugs inside model aeroplane engines, now there's an idea!

PPS. Picture of my sister Sue with her grandchildren taken on her birthday attached.

The following 2 users liked this post by Telemaster Sales UK:
Flicker (06-23-2022), GallopingGhostler (06-08-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 12:10 PM
donnyman

I have wondered about the same thing but I haven't seen or heard any negatives. I thought it needed more prop also. The plane took off and flew like a kite. it seemed to float at low speed, (to me very unimpressive) the take off was extremely short and slow and I do not believe it would loop from level flight. Now if it flew the way it did because of the small prop to cowl relationship ??? a subject I cannot speak to. It would make a interesting study. It surely has enough wing area.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:29 PM
donnyman

G. Ghostler
Good info! ........... very interesting.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:59 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Good Day Gentlemen!

On 27th May I flew from Limoges to Manchester to celebrate my sister's seventy-second birthday on 2nd June. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last October. My sister's birthday always coincides with the Queen's Official Birthday but this year was the seventieth anniversay of the Queen's coronation so even more special. I had to remove my shoes and belt at the airport, take the laptop out of its case and put my mobile phone in a seperate tray, followed by my bag containing enough clothes for a week in a third tray.

I had previously ordered a Laser 100 for a club colleague because it is difficult to import Lasers into the EU since the Brexit. It duly arrived at the friends' house where I was staying. On the return trip Manchester Airport was packed with people wanting to fly off somewhere. I put my belt, shoes, laptop and mobile phone on two trays followed by my bag on a third one. The first two trays got through without a problem but my bag was being retained while people who were behind me in the queue were collecting their luggage. I approached the desk and asked two lads of Indian descent what the hold up was.They were wearing a uniform but I did not notice whether they were customs officers or security. They were no more than twenty-five years old. They politely asked me what was in the bag. I replied, "Clothes, razor, wasbag, that sort of thing." Then I suddenly remembered the engine, "...oh, and a model aeroplane engine!"

"A model aeroplane engine?"

"Yes it's a 16cc four-stroke.I had it sent to me direct from the factory while I was in England."

"A four-stroke! How big a model will it fly?"

"Well that depends upon the model of course but it could fly a model with an eight foot wingspan quite easily."

"Any tools?"

"No."

We were getting on splendidly when we were interrupted by a Nigerian woman probably their boss.

"WHAT IS GOING ON?" she demanded.

"This gentleman has a new model aeroplane engine in a box in his bag."

"WHAT IS A MODEL AEROPLANE ENGINE?"

"It is used to power an aircraft which is too small to support a human being," I replied. Then I added, " I like to build model aeroplanes and fly them by remote control."

She ordered one of the two lads to fetch my pack and to remove the box. She opened the box, some oil had spilled out onto the bubble wrap around the engine. Lasers always run up their engines to make sure they work correctly before despatch. "WHAT IS THIS?" she demanded. I said, "I think it's oil." "FETCH ME A SCRAPER!" she ordered. She took a sample of the oil, took it to some sort of machine to test it for explosives or drugs I assume, then went back to her underlings and said, "OK LET HIM HAVE IT."

And so I got onto the aircraft with no further trouble and Guy got his engine yesterday. I expect that the lady was under stress, if not, I'd hate to meet her in a bad mood!

PS. I'd forgotten that you get several Allen keys with every Laser engine sold but they never noticed them but smuggling drugs inside model aeroplane engines, now there's an idea!

PPS. Picture of my sister Sue with her grandchildren taken on her birthday attached.

I guess she had you pegged as a suspicious character!
David John Davis (06-06-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 05:24 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your sister is looking good David.
Good you and your engine made it through security. My buddy races RC cars and says his pistol grip transmitter gets a lot of attention.
Telemaster Sales UK (06-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:22 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Donnyman, don't get into a staring contest with that airplane!
You ain't gonna win.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:12 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Donnyman, don't get into a staring contest with that airplane!
You ain't gonna win.
If you are referring to the tri-plane I agree, but no swet that plane isn't mine. the owner is in the picture.
Look at these scratch built birds. These where at Waco TEX. in 2011.

The guy on the left is called b1 bomber bob the plane is scratch built, and was under powered.
The following 2 users liked this post by donnyman:
David John Davis (06-09-2022), Flicker (06-23-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Nice!
Old 06-09-2022, 09:03 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
If you are referring to the tri-plane I agree, but no swet that plane isn't mine. the owner is in the picture.
Look at these scratch built birds. These where at Waco TEX. in 2011.

The guy on the left is called b1 bomber bob the plane is scratch built, and was under powered.
Two very fine models. An incredible standard of workmanship.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:52 AM
donnyman

Those birds from the Waco meet were built by gentlemen known for large birds, that bomber was one of three. A b1 bomber was in the works but turned out to be to heavy to be success. there were several other very nice birds at that meet I will post them soon.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

His building bench must be huge!
Old 06-10-2022, 07:44 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
His building bench must be huge!
about the size of his garage +
Old 06-10-2022, 08:01 AM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

I bet if I took a pic right now of what my building benches look like, at least one of you would come over and beat me with a bat. Been so busy with work and around the house, and been using the main bench for repairs on the truck and equipment, as well as my tool bench for grinding that everything is a mess. It will take me 2 full weekends to clean and reorganize everything, but would need a few cabinets under the bench to do it.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

The pres. of our club here is a welding contractor, built a couple large WW-2 multi engine bombers, one was a B-17. Good number of folk here live on the outskirts of town with an acre or more size lot. They got better than a garage, barns to do their builds.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

I bet if I took a pic right now of what my building benches look like, at least one of you would come over and beat me with a bat. Been so busy with work and around the house, and been using the main bench for repairs on the truck and equipment, as well as my tool bench for grinding that everything is a mess. It will take me 2 full weekends to clean and reorganize everything, but would need a few cabinets under the bench to do it.
Hmm... I'll bet I know someone with a bench in the same condition!
Old 06-10-2022, 04:06 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I like that B-58! That's not a plane you see modeled very much!
Old 06-10-2022, 04:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

I know, i just saw the real Hustler at Dayton a few weeks ago, that's such a cool model!
Old 06-11-2022, 05:40 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hmm... I'll bet I know someone with a bench in the same condition!
You can say that again, I have finally gotten to the point where I can actually reach the far end of my shop but little to no bench space.
Here is some more eye candy for you, once again the same warbird meet in Waco Tex.

One of many

flawless

F-14 on display W/twin turbines

some of the models flown
Flicker (06-23-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 05:49 AM
donnyman

I didn't think these pictures would load, I have more pic's of several meets here in TEX. I can only afford to look and take pictures, I am looking for the pictures of Bomber field In Monaville TEX. At the B-17 gathering. you won't believe the action.

Last edited by donnyman; 06-11-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.