Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 08:51 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I did CBD and found that it depends on where you get it on how well it works and it is expensive for what you get. One also has to be careful if they get random drug testing because, even though they claim THC free, some do still have enough to trigger a false alert in a drug test. I have some CDB Daily cream. Reminds me of Noxzema from when I got sunburned as a kid. It's topical and does seem to help, but 1.7 ounces is expensive and doesn't go very far.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I work for a Federal contractor so CBD is out for me. I remember back in the day my father used DMSO but it had drawbacks. I don't think they even sell it anymore.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:30 AM
acdii

You can still get DMSO, through vet supply. We used it on our horses It freezes at something like 60*.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:08 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have had to change my plans about visiting Cocklebarrow Farm Vintage Model Fly-In because of profiteering on the part of the ferry company. £615 for a double crossing indeed! That's 725€ or $728 US.

In July and August schools are closed and families often go on motoring holidays to warmer European countries. It introduces the children to different cultures. Consequently ferry companies plying between England and the Continent are in a position to increase their prices because of higher demand. Fortunately for me the Cocklebarrow event is held three times a year in July, August and September or early October. This year the final event is being held on 25th September. At that time of the year ferry prices are much more reasonable. I'll go then.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:12 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think diet is a big help with your wellbeing. I started taking in a lot more ruffage and it really helps the ole plumbing. I try to stay active but it isn't easy in this heat. Just going out in the car to run a quick errand is enough to trigger my asthma and other lung issues.
Yes, diet is very important, also no life weakening habits like smoking, excessive imbibing, keeping out of debt, and keeping busy, etc.

Regarding heat, local gym, Planet Fitness (although there are others) charges including taxes and annual membership is about $16.00 US per month. It is only a couple miles from where I live. They have all the machines, plus the latest so are of low impact compared with the ones 30 years ago, plus fully air conditioned. Lately it has been 100 Deg F (38 C) during the day, not conducive for seniors to be out. (When I was younger, didn't mind the heat.) Strength training within reasonable limits helps to keeps the hormones balanced. Aerobics helps to keep the circulatory system healthy.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:15 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I made it back to the oven in Texas. Oh my gosh what a temperature difference. Twenty three hours and fifteen minutes driving just me and one dog. Only stopped for gas and necessities. To think, I have to do this a couple of more times.

Since I retired I’ve always kept physically active. This farm in Texas gives me much to do. Plus I did maintenance for those in need. Flying and aircraft maintenance kept me active. I did gain weight. I got to 235 and really started feeling bad. So a while back I started to lose weight. My goal was 200, but I kept going. I’m now steady at 192 and feeling good. I just turned 79 and about 2 years back I started on high blood pressure medication. Plus Osteo Bi-Flex as recommended by FlyerinOKC.

I feel good except for this heat. So I’ll try the cold in PA. It is close to Brooklyn, NY where I grew up, so visits to family. I’ve been too busy to mess with RC. I still have not visited the RC club up there. No time to fly foamies on the new property. Someday I’ll get back to it. This move has been more than I expected.
The following users liked this post:
GallopingGhostler (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 06:21 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The highest weight I've ever been was 225. I weighed myself this morning and I was at 158. I'm trying to stay between 155 and 160. I changed what I was eating, and quit eating so much of it! My knees appreciate it!
GallopingGhostler (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 12:34 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This has always been one of my favorite Waylon Jennings songs. I thought I'd share it with my friends over here (and the rest of you, too! ).

Last edited by flyboy2610; 07-16-2022 at 12:37 PM.
David John Davis (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 10:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Talking of losing weight, we've had a new member join our club, Jean-Guy who used to fly several years ago. He is the baker in the next village, Lourdouiex St Michel. Last Sunday he brought a lot of bread and cakes to the flying field. Traditional French bread only lasts for a few hours after it's baked that's why there are still village bakers in France despite bakery departments in the supermarkets. After six or eight hours the bread becomes hard and inedible so I can understand why he brought to the club the loaves he'd baked that day but was unable to sell. The cakes are another matter! They would have been fine in the refridgerator. Nevertheless we all tucked in heartily.

If this continues we are all going to be as fat as pigs!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-16-2022 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:59 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ah!! Bread, a weakness of mine. The good stuff is also the bad stuff.

Now I know why my bread turns hard after a while. Out of the oven; oh gosh. A little butter or olive oil and a hint of salt. Too busy to bake these days.

flyboy, that is a good weight reduction. I have a large frame so I think 180-190 is a good range for me.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Just a little addendum about British cars. In 2002 I watched my best friend die of leukaemia. I was in a good job in those days so resolved to buy a brand new car while i could afford one. It remains the only new car I've ever bought. It was a Rover 75 estate car or station wagon. It was not very fast being powered by a 2litre BMW diesel engine but it was pretty reliable and very comfortable. I kept it for thirteen years. I put two clutches into it in 130,000 miles. On the other hand the brakes were on the same discs as when it left the factory. Both say something about my driving!

Old 07-17-2022, 03:46 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It was a Rover 75 estate car or station wagon. It was not very fast being powered by a 2litre BMW diesel engine but it was pretty reliable and very comfortable. I kept it for thirteen years. I put two clutches into it in 130,000 miles. On the other hand the brakes were on the same discs as when it left the factory. Both say something about my driving!
That means you knew how to use downshifting the manual transmission to act as an engine brake, reducing the need for normal wheel brake use. Also, even in higher gears, a manual transmission does a better job of slowing during say, reduction in speeds on the roadway. Could this have been been through experience say, driving a lorry?

During Covid, picked up a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT used with 40k miles on it, for only $16k US plus tax and license. Now they are going for $13k more with 50k or more miles on them. This has leather seats, navigation, heated steering wheel and seats, all electric doors, a step above the cheaper models most get.

I was interested in getting a late model Mercedes Metris mini-van (size of a Chevy Astrovan), but glad now I didn't. Because of the inter-country trade fiascos, parts for European cars have become harder to obtain and more expensive. Plus, seeing what was done during big city rioting, they were targeting luxury vehicles. There have been instances of robbers following people driving expensive cars home, then robbing them. Sometimes it is best not to get caught with the big star on your bonnet.

One US talk show host was discussing the issue and showed a well known actress driving a 16-yo Chrysler PT Cruiser with faded paint and dents to shop in the Los Angeles suburbia.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:02 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

...and Mick Jagger who has a chateau about 75 miles (126kms) away from here used to drive an old Peugeot 504 in order to travel incognito. The 504 was made between 1968 and 1983 so at first no-one noticed Jagger driving about. In recent years people would have noticed the car and said, "Look at that old 504! Heavens that's Mick Jagger driving it!"

I believe that he now drives something a little more modern!

Last edited by David John Davis; 07-17-2022 at 04:05 AM.
GallopingGhostler (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 07:34 AM
acdii

Vehicle prices are ridiculous. I bought a 2012 F350 back in 2019 for $32K. I can now turn around and sell it, with 12K more miles on it, for $34K. I just finished up removing the bed and repairing all the rust damage, so in a sense has a new bed on it. Unfortunately, the lower trim paint does not match the original, its a bit brighter. What I was planning to do before tearing the bed off, was order a replacement for both trucks, built and ordered an F350 identical to my F150 except for color since no longer available. That would replace both trucks, cost me less per month in both truck payments, insurance, and licensing, to about $500 a month. Best I could do is X plan on it, but then it turns out it wont be scheduled to build until maybe September. I looked for a used late model, and they are all selling AT or ABOVE original MSRP. Then it turns out the one feature that is the reason I ordered a Platinum model, the Multicontour seats, which are fully adjustable back from lumbar to shoulders, and massage too, were deleted from all Platinum, Limited and King Ranch Ultimate packages, with only a $300 credit. I changed the order to a Lariat Ultimate with Baja interior, its the light tan as I hate black interiors, so ordinary, and bland. That will save me roughly $3,000 off MSRP. Now the truck Might get built end of October, if at all.

Since I have a trip planned, and the rust on the bed is critical to towing, meaning there is instability, I had no choice but to tear into the bed. Well it is done now, just finishing up the 5th wheel install since the new crossmembers have to be drilled for the mount, and also found out the original mount was not meant for this year truck, I had to get new ones. That should be done today as well as the front bumper. It was rust ugly with huge patches of rust all over it, so it should look a lot better. The problem I now have is the lower trim color does not match the oem even though its the correct color, and the King Ranch trim uses wheel arch flares that match the lower body color and now those don't match and I will have to paint them too.

I think what I might do is once our trip is done, put the truck up for sale, ask $35K for it and see what I can get, then stick that money in the bank for other uses.

Achh was going to upload a picture of the work but getting security token errors.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:45 AM
acdii

Couldnt upload direct, so posted it in another forum and copied it here.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:05 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks good to me!
Old 07-17-2022, 08:08 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
Looks good to me!
...and me!
Old 07-17-2022, 08:36 AM
acdii

Thanks. That pinstripe on the truck are actually two color decals, each one costs over $34, there are 4 on the bed. I bought color matched red paint for $40, and painted it on instead. Looks like the original, but its baked in.

Heres the thread if you want to see all the work involved. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-begin-2.html

Old 07-17-2022, 09:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice job!
Old 07-18-2022, 04:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am not a great builder and only an average pilot. Oh I have passed some certificates and can fly some aerobatic manouevres but if I have any claim to a skill in the world of r/c flight it is in teaching elderly beginners how to fly to A Certificate standard, something which I've done over the last thirty years or so. I have always impressed upon my charges the importance of checking that the ailerons, elevator and rudder are moving in the correct direction and that the rates are in the appropriate position just before you advance that throttle and take off.

One Sunday, a couple of weeks ago I had been busy teaching two beginners how to fly at my local club. I had also spent some time in my workshop teaching one of them how to build. I'd taken my ARTF Laser 70 powered Acrowot with me to the field as well as the club's trainer.

I had been having some problems with the throttle control on the Acrowot. Basically if I pulled the throttle lever below half way the engine would stop and all of the travel of the throttle arm seemed to happen only after the halfway position was reached on the transmitter, a Spektrum DX9. I concluded that I'd accidentally done something to the throttle channel programming and being hopeless with computers, on the Saturday night I put the model onto a new memory and sure enough the throttle control worked normally.

Having taken up the beginners on the buddy box I decided to fly the Acrowot. I set the throttle cut and started the engine which ticked over like the proverbial Swiss watch. I waggled the sticks about and carried the model to the runway. One more stir on the sticks and I pushed the throttle forward. It veered to the left, I put in right rudder and it spun round in a left-hand circle before hitting the grass alongside the runway. This stopped the engine. I retrieved the model and found out that the rudder was reversed. Not only the rudder, the elevator was reversed too! I sorted those out but wait there's more...

I started the engine, walked down to the runway, gave all of the controls a proper check this time and took off. The model dropped its right-hand wing slightly. I fed in left aileron. The model twitched violently to the left then to the right as I over-corrected. With my heart pounding I gained altitude and I spent the rest of the flight just breathing on the aileron stick to get the model to turn. I had set neither rates nor differential! Unfortunately for me there were three other pilots in the air at that time. Two were flying electric models and were soon down but the third was the best pilot in the club putting one of his old patternships through the schedule. I parked my model at a good altitude waiting for him to land, then I manged to land successfully. Subsequently, diffential and rates have been programmed in!

Now what was the expression? Prior planning and preparation prevent poor performance?

Old 07-18-2022, 08:43 PM
lrrambo
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 71, getting back into RC again for the 3rd time.

Attached a photo of the trainer I learned to fly on for the 2nd time in 2003. Still have it! Stored inside an A/C home in Phoenix, AZ. Only changes are now a Saito 180, right side wing repairs and updating the Futaba 7C PCM with li-poly batteries. OF course I have inspected and reinforced the firewall, wing saddle and tail, both vertical and horizontal stabilizers. No crashes only a slight mishap with the safety fence. Tightened all the Monokote. Renewing my AMA license, they still have my old number! Any suggestions on the receiver li-poly battery? Just had eyes done, now 20/10. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:50 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Welcome!

I miss Phoenix (my wife's hometown) It seems once into r/c it never truly leaves your system ........ ENJOY!
Old 07-19-2022, 03:58 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
And some of you old farts can run circles around me too! Some days I feel like I'm 90. Arthritis sucks.
At 81 I still enjoy my morning bicycle rides, but can truthfully say that old age can be a real pain in the butt and other places too. Being involved in this hobby is a blessing and sure helps to keep things in balance.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by lrrambo
Attached a photo of the trainer I learned to fly on for the 2nd time in 2003. Still have it! Stored inside an A/C home in Phoenix, AZ. Only changes are now a Saito 180, right side wing repairs and updating the Futaba 7C PCM with li-poly batteries. OF course I have inspected and reinforced the firewall, wing saddle and tail, both vertical and horizontal stabilizers. No crashes only a slight mishap with the safety fence. Tightened all the Monokote. Renewing my AMA license, they still have my old number! Any suggestions on the receiver li-poly battery? Just had eyes done, now 20/10. Thanks in advance.
Beautiful bird! Any truth to the story it got hot enough to start melting the asphalt roads in Phoenix?

Mike
lrrambo (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 07:44 AM
lrrambo
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot enough to melt asphalt? Depends on the formula. Home Depot stuff almost never cures. City of Phoenix repairs don't melt. Thanks on the comment on the Ultra Stick, loved it's flight abilities with the Saito 150, hoping for better with the Saito 180.
Airplane is heavy but tough. Memory serves me it flies without any bad surprises. Have to get a separate DVD drive to practice on Realflight simulator before I risk the Ultra Stick.

Last edited by lrrambo; 07-19-2022 at 07:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.