Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:34 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Little compilation of various models flying at our club's site at various times earlier in the year, note the bare trees, made by my Belgian friend and clubmate Frans Cooremans.

The battered old trainer performing rolls at 0.11 is being flown by a twelve year-old kid!

The shoulder wing monoplanes are all Barons, an iconic French trainer.

Your humble servant's ARTF Acrowot practising landing approaches appears at 2.48, it is powered by a Laser 70 four-stroke, and my own Baron, powered by an OS 48 Surpass, puts in an appearence at 4.06, note the British roundels!

The following users liked this post:
mkjohnston (08-13-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 04:20 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Very entertaining video TMS UK.....thanks for sharing it with us
Old 08-10-2022, 05:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

An excellent video David!
Old 08-11-2022, 07:23 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

With a hint of Monty Python, has the model aeroplane shops in UK turned woke?

Old 08-16-2022, 07:25 AM
David John Davis

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Some of the finest insults in the English language.

1. "He had delusions of adequacy ” Walter Kerr
2. "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”- Winston Churchill
3. "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure. - Clarence Darrow
4. "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”-William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)
5. "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"- Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)
6. "Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it.” - Moses Hadas
7. "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” - Mark Twain
8. "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.” - Oscar Wilde
9. "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one.” -George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
10. "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one.” - Winston Churchill, in response
11. "I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here” - Stephen Bishop
12. "He is a self-made man and worships his creator.” - John Bright
13. "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial.” - Irvin S. Cobb
14. "He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others.” - Samuel Johnson
15. "He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up. - Paul Keating
16. "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him.” - Forrest Tucker
17. "Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?” - Mark Twain
18. "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.” - Mae West
19. "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.” - Oscar Wilde
20. "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination.” - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
21. "He has Van Gogh's ear for music.” - Billy Wilder
22. "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But I'm afraid this wasn't it.” - Groucho Marx
23. The exchange between Winston Churchill & Lady Astor: She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."
24. "He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know." - Abraham Lincoln
25. "There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure." -- Jack E. Leonard
26. "They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge." -- Thomas Brackett Reed
27. "He inherited some good instincts from his Quaker forebears, but by diligent hard work, he overcame them." -- James Reston (about Richard Nixon) —Robert L Truesdell
The following 2 users liked this post by David John Davis:
biam (08-16-2022), Flicker (09-29-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 09:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

I love each and every one, just brilliant David!
Old 08-16-2022, 02:03 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi David;

Just plane loved your 'finest insults list', and made a copy for future reference and use. And I agree wid above comment; 'Yes! they are Brilliant!.

+, I also thank you for your videos, they are brillliant too. Best regards from hot'n'humid Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:36 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That Finest insult list was the best, had me laughing out loud a lot!👍
bisco (08-18-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 01:57 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Found this in: Stunt Hangar: Re Humor section? Reply #658 on August 15, 2022
GRAMMAR LESSON: Is it "complete", "finished", or "completely finished"?

No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words - "Complete" or "Finished". In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: 'How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.'

Here is his astute answer: "When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

He won a trip around the world and a case of 25 year old Scotch.
The following 3 users liked this post by GallopingGhostler:
bisco (08-19-2022), Flicker (09-29-2022), Telemaster Sales UK (08-19-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Default Life sucks today!

Our 3 month old grandson was here on Monday for us to babysit. He got sick Tuesday and went to the ER, its COVID! He is doing good now. Wife got sick Wednesday and tested negative Thursday but positive on Friday. I got sick last night and I'm positive today. This could affect my motivation to build this weekend.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:11 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Ick. So baby brought you the Vid. That sucks. Thankfully this latest go around is mild, you will be OK in a day or two. Been there, Done that. My wife was directly exposed two weeks ago and didn't know until 2 days later, but none of us got sick, probably because we are naturally immune to it now, and the more we get exposed, the longer the immunity goes on since it acts like a regeneration. Won't be too much longer that it will be considered nothing more than the common cold.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:19 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Our 3 month old grandson was here on Monday for us to babysit. He got sick Tuesday and went to the ER, its COVID! He is doing good now. Wife got sick Wednesday and tested negative Thursday but positive on Friday. I got sick last night and I'm positive today. This could affect my motivation to build this weekend.
sorry to hear it! i hope it isn't too serious for you.

that is one of my concerns, three grandsons under five, and two of them start school in the next few weeks, no mask or distance requirements anymore.
when we have them, we try to stay outside, and open all the windows with fans. but kids have a way of climbing all over you, coughing and sneezing
Old 08-20-2022, 07:20 AM
bisco

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
that was brilliant! i just told my wife, and she couldn't stop laughing
Old 08-20-2022, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well the baby is doing good, I worry about him. My fever broke last night so that helps. Head feels like a bass drum with someone beating on it. Still, I'm not in the hospital so things could be a lot worse. I agree with acdii I think eventually COVID will be like the yearly Flu outbreak. I had to postpone my Pulmonologist appoint and the scheduler said they had a lot of people cancelling/rebooking with COVID. Misery loves company! My major complaint is I feel too crappy to build. ​​​​​​​ I need to rebuild the elevator bar it binds too much to work properly. I plan on cutting it off and starting over.
bisco (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 08:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bisco
sorry to hear it! i hope it isn't too serious for you.

that is one of my concerns, three grandsons under five, and two of them start school in the next few weeks, no mask or distance requirements anymore.
when we have them, we try to stay outside, and open all the windows with fans. but kids have a way of climbing all over you, coughing and sneezing

Carrier monkeys!! Thats what my wife calls kids starting school. This year I am making both kids load up on Vitamin D, Vitamin B+ Complex and Zinc every morning. Once the unwashed meet up and gather, thats when the colds and stuff spread and the vitamin/mineral combo helps build up immunity. When I got the last round of Vid, I doubled up and was back to normal within 2 days. Thankfully both are in high school and most high schoolers have a hygiene regiment and are less likely to be carriers.
bisco (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 08:55 AM
bisco

our 6 month old grandson had it earlier this summer, along with the rest of the family. fortunately, they all recovered in a week or two, and the only lasting effects so far is our daughter in law left with a lot of joint pain. seems to be slowly getting better though, and her sense of smell finally came back.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:46 AM
RyanNX211

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this and thought of our friend David living in France.

Study the picture first and then read the story.

This actually happened to an Englishman in France who was totally drunk.

A French policeman stopped an Englishman's car and asks if he has been drinking.

With great difficulty ( being totally as pissed as a fart ), the Englishman admits that he has been drinking all day, that his daughter got married that morning, and that he drank champagne and a few bottles of wine at the reception, and many single malts scotches thereafter.

Quite upset, the policeman proceeds to alcohol-test (breath test) the Englishman and verifies that he is indeed totally sloshed out of his head.

He asks the Englishman if he knows why, under French Law, he is going to be arrested.

The Englishman answers with a bit of humour.

"No sir, I do not! But while we're asking questions, do you realize that this is a British car and that my wife is driving on the other side?"
pics won’t attach
Old 08-20-2022, 05:08 PM
RyanNX211

Default From Ohio

I saw this and thought of our friend David living in France.

Study the picture first and then read the story.

This actually happened to an Englishman in France who was totally drunk.

A French policeman stopped an Englishman's car and asks if he has been drinking.

With great difficulty ( being totally as pissed as a fart ), the Englishman admits that he has been drinking all day, that his daughter got married that morning, and that he drank champagne and a few bottles of wine at the reception, and many single malts scotches thereafter.

Quite upset, the policeman proceeds to alcohol-test (breath test) the Englishman and verifies that he is indeed totally sloshed out of his head.

He asks the Englishman if he knows why, under French Law, he is going to be arrested.

The Englishman answers with a bit of humour.

"No sir, I do not! But while we're asking questions, do you realize that this is a British car and that my wife is driving on the other side?"
I actually drive a RHD vehicle here in the States (JDM Toyota). Despite my best efforts, no one really notices; they're all too focused on their cellphones. I park it on the street because I can enter an exit from the clean sidewalk in Winter months. On one frosty day in February I received an ominous text message from my neighbor: Please look outside. I replied that I was out of town. I had taken my V70R (which has also been hit by those who insist on texting and driving/including a neighbor who backed in to me) to a swap meet about 70 miles away. Thirty minutes later she said that the car was surrounded by four police cruisers and two fire trucks. They had responded to a 911 call about an incapacitated driver.
The following Monday I went to the police station to apologize. I asked if I should remove the monkey and they said: Leave the monkey in the car. It turned out that it was a fellow pilot from my company in town for simulator training who placed the call. Unfortunately, they no longer had his name.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:10 PM
RyanNX211

Originally Posted by RyanNX211
I actually drive a RHD vehicle here in the States (JDM Toyota). Despite my best efforts, no one really notices; they're all too focused on their cellphones. I park it on the street because I can enter an exit from the clean sidewalk in Winter months. On one frosty day in February I received an ominous text message from my neighbor: Please look outside. I replied that I was out of town. I had taken my V70R (which has also been hit by those who insist on texting and driving/including a neighbor who backed in to me) to a swap meet about 70 miles away. Thirty minutes later she said that the car was surrounded by four police cruisers and two fire trucks. They had responded to a 911 call about an incapacitated driver.
The following Monday I went to the police station to apologize. I asked if I should remove the monkey and they said: Leave the monkey in the car. It turned out that it was a fellow pilot from my company in town for simulator training who placed the call. Unfortunately, they no longer had his name.
Third attempt at photos.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:15 PM
RyanNX211

Frustrating!

He's looking for a name. Those used thus far have been too controversial

I keep getting asked "what does your plate mean?"
Old 08-20-2022, 05:45 PM
bisco

tell him to pull it up over his nose
Old 08-20-2022, 06:42 PM
RyanNX211

Originally Posted by bisco
tell him to pull it up over his nose
you tell him
Old 08-20-2022, 10:26 PM
David John Davis

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

We were having a drink in the clubhouse a few weeks ago when one of my French colleagues mentioned that there are a surprising number of nations where cars drive on the left and where consequently the steering wheel is on the right.

These are the countries that I can remember: Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand, Guyana, Jamaica, Barbados, and several other former British colonies in the Caribbean. All of these countries were once part of the British Empire but in addition Thailand and Japan drive on the left.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:36 AM
RyanNX211

Originally Posted by David John Davis
We were having a drink in the clubhouse a few weeks ago when one of my French colleagues mentioned that there are a surprising number of nations where cars drive on the left and where consequently the steering wheel is on the right.

These are the countries that I can remember: Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand, Guyana, Jamaica, Barbados, and several other former British colonies in the Caribbean. All of these countries were once part of the British Empire but in addition Thailand and Japan drive on the left.

Sweden and Newfoundland used to as well.
in the US Virgin Islands they drive on the left but all of the cars are LHD.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

...and South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Kenya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.