Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 09-09-2022, 10:13 PM
David John Davis

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Has anyone heard from David? It must be tough with his family emergency and now with the Queen's passing to complicate matters.
I had intended to cross to England on 18th September but my brother-in-law urged me to come sooner so I booked a flight for 15th but as a result of a further exchange of emails I have decided to drive the two tonner up to Calais today and to take a ferry first thing tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to such a long drive. I should be back "home" for Sunday evening.

I have lost hundreds in cancelled ferries and flights but some things are more important than money.

It seems strange to wake up and not have the dog bothering me to take her for a walk. She is in (very expensive) kennels until 21st when my Belgian friends, Frans and Ann will take her for and look after her until I come back. I do not anticipate returning to France before October given the three-week delay between a death and a cremation in my hometown.

As for the Queen, she seemed to be a nice lady but I have been a small "r" republican for at least sixty years so her death has not affected me emotionally. There is an amusing video featuring one of her security detail doing the rounds on a well-known social media site. I'll tell you all about it when I have more time.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:44 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Life is good, I bought gas at $2.99 a gallon.
My fill from last week.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 258 Likes on 227 Posts

Makes my 2013 Escape look really good! (25.6 mpg) I downsized when I bought this SUV and haven't regretted it yet. I can still haul a 96" one piece wing too.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:36 AM
mgnostic

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

acdii that looks about like the price we are paying locally for the good stuff-no ethanol. I might get close to what Flyer is paying if I use my purchase points at the local grocery store. Not a fan of ethanol laced gasoline. I think the only people it really helped is the corn lobby.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:55 AM
acdii

Yep, thats all it is really good for, though it is a better oxygenator than MTBE.

I filled up again yesterday, Cost me $134 for 30 gallons. The pump price was $2.01 higher than 87 gas. $5.19 vs $3.18. However, 2 miles from my house, 87 is $4.09, and Diesel $4.74. Since I use a discount card for diesel that is only good at truck stops, I get to see the huge markups that truck stops along major routes have. These truck stops have truckers by the balls and take full advantage of it too. Considering I got an 84 cent discount per gallon, those without discount programs pay through the nose. Costs .33 cents per mile to drive the truck. Big hit on the pocketbook, and I don't do much over 400 miles a week, so imagine the hit those who drive far more miles and fewer MPG.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:15 AM
mgnostic

I recently picked up a beater Mustang for $500. I'll have closer to $1000 in it by the time I do the needed repairs but at 10 MPG better than the truck it won't take long to justify. The only down side is that even with the back seat folded down it still isn't much of an airplane hauler. I expect to drive it for a few years and then pass it on to the next grandchild to get his drivers license.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:33 AM
acdii

I'm in the process of buying a wood pellet stove for the house. I installed a smaller one last year in a converted garage, which was the original garage converted into a room, but no HVAC and it is right off the kitchen. I had a garage heater installed, but the exhaust B vent rotted out from condensation. Propane is expensive, 800 gallons as damn near $2400, and we usually fill it twice. Last year I burned roughly a ton and a half of pellets, $225 a ton. Our propane use went down quite a bit too, so adding a second larger one in the basement should offset propane use by quite a bit, hoping to get through winter on one fill using 3-4 tons of pellets. The hard part is getting the venting. IT costs almost as much as the stove! Contemplating whether to use a liner, or regular 5' sections. I did find a rays special at menards, $110 for a 4" x 20' liner, but its an 8 hour trip to get it and its one of those you have to buy in person, they wont ship it. But, that is $300 less than the kit and available now, not near the end of October.

$4800 vs $900. I think the stoves will pay for themselves in just a couple years.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:42 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I recently picked up a beater Mustang for $500. I'll have closer to $1000 in it by the time I do the needed repairs but at 10 MPG better than the truck it won't take long to justify.
Congrats on the Mustang buy.

Originally Posted by mgnostic
The only down side is that even with the back seat folded down it still isn't much of an airplane hauler. I expect to drive it for a few years and then pass it on to the next grandchild to get his drivers license.
Back in the early 1980's, I had a 1974 Ford Pinto, the year they came out with the heavier duty bumpers front and rear, and modified gas tank not integrated into the trunk floor and additional measures to prevent the differential from puncturing it. I've seen some of the electric powered vehicle fire videos, those lithium batteries are basically an incendiary bomb with no easy escape, a throwback to the early Pintos. They don't have a lipo safe for those.

Anyway, I did a lot of half-A flying then, a lot easier to put a 40" wingspan airplane wing and fuselage in the trunk with a medium size flight box, quart of half-A fuel.

It didn't meet the manly requirements of a 4 channel .40 sized aircraft, in a few places got chased away because like in Flight of the Phoenix, I was perceived to be playing with toy airplanes. But, before national park bans, I'd fly alone in open areas and have myself a blast.

Much of the electric stuff today is in the size category of the half-A's of yesterday, but now they put more powerful electric motors, have more control over the aircraft.

I guess that the Mustang will do as long as you stay with the small size of airplanes (no quarter scale).
Old 09-13-2022, 08:04 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Congrats on the Mustang buy.

Back in the early 1980's, I had a 1974 Ford Pinto, the year they came out with the heavier duty bumpers front and rear, and modified gas tank not integrated into the trunk floor and additional measures to prevent the differential from puncturing it. I've seen some of the electric powered vehicle fire videos, those lithium batteries are basically an incendiary bomb with no easy escape, a throwback to the early Pintos. They don't have a lipo safe for those.

Anyway, I did a lot of half-A flying then, a lot easier to put a 40" wingspan airplane wing and fuselage in the trunk with a medium size flight box, quart of half-A fuel.

It didn't meet the manly requirements of a 4 channel .40 sized aircraft, in a few places got chased away because like in Flight of the Phoenix, I was perceived to be playing with toy airplanes. But, before national park bans, I'd fly alone in open areas and have myself a blast.

Much of the electric stuff today is in the size category of the half-A's of yesterday, but now they put more powerful electric motors, have more control over the aircraft.

I guess that the Mustang will do as long as you stay with the small size of airplanes (no quarter scale).
When I was learning to fly I managed to cram a .40 size trainer and an instructor into an Austin Healy Sprite. It can be done, I've just gotten lazy in my old age. I still fly some Half A. In my club I'm the oddball who flies everything but 3-D.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:17 AM
donnyman

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Hello gentlemen!
No I am not dead yet just preoccupied with lifes little hassles. I still haven't found a place to live and most of the people looking at my estate want to low ball me and they represent some very large companies. my radiation therapy is over but I am still having reactions from it, and it appears a form of chemical therapy will be with me for a few more years (if I live long enough) I could go on with this moaning and groaning but what the heck. Even the Government is checking me for agent orange damage.

Several years back I blew a hole in the side of my boats engine and had to work at the mariner to help pay for a new long engine block
which led me into fixing small engines, boats and cars the boat engines was fun but the cars was where the money was, I bought and sold cars at a feverish pace, one car sale paid my rent for a year, I really did not get to register any of them before they sold. the one I was using sold so fast after I put a coat of paint on it the guy drove it home wet before the paint fully dried. All but three of these vehicles were Mustangs and I bought and sold a LOT of them One of my favorite vehicles.

Now I am selling off most of my modelling gear, I had little idea how much stuff I had accumulated but it has to go!

Last edited by donnyman; 09-15-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm glad to hear you are still around and kicking Donny! I recently reorganized my hobby stuff and was surprised by how much I have. Balsa took up most of a 15" X20" X 50" Christmas tree bag, I won't need to be buying much in the future. All of my unassembled kits are on an overhead storage shelf in the garage with the corresponding replacement fiberglass parts in the attic. I prefer fiberglass pants and cowlings over the plastic in the kits. I find them to be a bit more forgiving in a hard landing. All the little bits, pieces, and hardware are sorted into bins with little drawers awaiting labeling. Here is a picture of my hobby closet. The big tub on the bottom is engines, the table against the back is one of the two card tables I like to build on. You can't see the sides but there is more stuff neatly stacked there. The two shoe boxes on the bottom shelf hold cut parts for the Ryan SC I am working on and some larger hand tools. Now I can easily find stuff and don't need to shoot down building time searching. I still have a little more work to do in the garage, I never found the Sullivan control horns I was looking for so I must have more stuff squirreled away somewhere, probably in a couple of kit boxes I have investigated yet.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:47 PM
David John Davis

Just a note to say that my sister, Susan Jane Fraser, died at about 19.00 BST yesterday at Shrewsbury Hospice, Shropshire, England of pancreatic cancer. She had been taken there from her home by special ambulance about six hours earlier. Her daughter was with her at the time of her death. My brother-in-law and I, having spent most of the afternoon sitting with her, arrived just too late to see her alive.

I would like to express my gratitude to the staff of Shropshire Community NHS Trust and the staff of Shrewsbury Hospice for the excellent care my sister received throughout her illness.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

May Susan rest in peace. Please accept my condolences for you and the family.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:37 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sincerest condolences to you and your family on your loss David. May the happy moments you both shared keep you strong.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:02 AM
GallopingGhostler

David, my condolences in the untimely passing of your sister Susan. May the Lord give you and your family the wisdom and grace to be able to place her to rest and to settle her estate.

If she knew the Lord, then those of us who know Him as well will see her again yet future.
Originally Posted by 1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 World English Bible British Ed.
For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with Godís trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:08 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Born in 1955 like many...
The 1st plane I saw my dad fly was a Livewire Cruiser.
After that, a Dale Root Little Freak, Dale Root Ascender. He built a Jerry Nelson Sultan but shortly thereafter, had to leave the hobby.
I now am trying to get into the hobby. Still have my dad's Sultan. I'll fly it...one day.
The following 3 users liked this post by mightyhorn:
GallopingGhostler (09-16-2022), mgnostic (09-17-2022), skylark-flier (09-22-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 09:53 PM
David John Davis

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen. I am currently staying with my brother-in-law Ian in order to provide him with some support. The funeral will take place on 26th September.
GallopingGhostler (09-16-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 12:28 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by mightyhorn
Welcome to the thread, mightyhorn. A few of us here were born around the same time you were, self included.

The 1st plane I saw my dad fly was a Livewire Cruiser. After that, a Dale Root Little Freak, Dale Root Ascender.
Most of us are familiar with the Livewire, but the Little Freak is a little known one to me, but found it.

Outerzone Plan #2145: 42in Little Freak 27 by Dale Root, Air Trails Annual December 1954

Outerzone clipping from magazine article, used a Cox .049 Thermal Hopper for power.

The Freak seems to be a nice small field sport plane, would be at home today.

He built a Jerry Nelson Sultan but shortly thereafter, had to leave the hobby.
Sultan seems to be a nice low wing stunt ship. Outerzone Plan# 1255: 66in Sultan by Jerry Nelson, American Modeler April 1963

Outerzone photo clipped from magazine article.

I now am trying to get into the hobby. Still have my dad's Sultan. I'll fly it...one day.
Again, welcome to the thread. Please post about any other planes you build and fly, too, and we're all ears on any stories you have to tell along with other things you'd like to share.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:27 AM
donnyman

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

The 1st plane I saw my dad fly was a Livewire Cruiser.
After that, a Dale Root Little Freak, Dale Root Ascender. He built a Jerry Nelson Sultan but shortly thereafter, had to leave the hobby.
Welcome aboard!
I was thinking you would be in high cotton about getting back into the hobby if you were closer to me I am getting out of the hobby (for the most part) and could save you a bunch of bucks. That sultan is my kinda bird, Nice lines, but it does not appear to be a trainer.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:45 PM
acdii

Hey David, For your Sister

David John Davis (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 01:47 PM
acdii

Well, just spent a good 6 hours repairing the torn up shingles on the roof that the insurance company refused to replace the entire roof over even though the shingles have a LOT of hail damage too. I still have at least another 6 hours of work up there to repair some torn ones, but the large sections that were torn out have been replaced.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:28 PM
David John Davis

She's beyond all troubles now.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:33 PM
David John Davis

Born in 1955 like many....
1955! "Tha's nobbut a lad!" as they say in Yorkshire!
Old 09-18-2022, 05:29 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by David John Davis
1955! "Tha's nobbut a lad!" as they say in Yorkshire!
I told the equivalent of that to a 50 YO (1972) the other day!
Old 09-22-2022, 08:22 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Just a note to say that my sister, Susan Jane Fraser, died at about 19.00 BST yesterday at Shrewsbury Hospice, Shropshire, England of pancreatic cancer. She had been taken there from her home by special ambulance about six hours earlier. Her daughter was with her at the time of her death. My brother-in-law and I, having spent most of the afternoon sitting with her, arrived just too late to see her alive.

I would like to express my gratitude to the staff of Shropshire Community NHS Trust and the staff of Shrewsbury Hospice for the excellent care my sister received throughout her illness.
David, you and your family have my most sincere condolences on the loss of your sister. My best and most humble prayers go with you.
(haven't been online lately, just saw this)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.