Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 06-06-2023, 06:46 AM
  #11401  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,138
Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Nice flying.
Not when the S60 went behind a tree! Did you notice that sudden burst of throttle?
Old 06-06-2023, 09:29 AM
  #11402  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

My Opinion is when you go home with the airplane(s) in relatively in the same condition you arrived in it was a good flight.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
HangarRash (06-06-2023), Telemaster Sales UK (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 06:52 PM
  #11403  
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita Falls,TX, TX
Posts: 489
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Hi Mike, Ive talked to you before and i live about 2 hours to south of you on I-44. Are there any RC hobby shops left in okc that sell nitro fuel? I was buying some down in fort worth and I was there a few months back and they didnt have any! I am going to call them in couple of weeks and see if they have gotten any in! The shop look like it been hit by a hurricane as they had very little of parts left! it was pretty said to see!
Michael Johnston
Old 06-06-2023, 07:13 PM
  #11404  
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita Falls,TX, TX
Posts: 489
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check out my latest Garage find

I was at my RC club meeting last month and it was they said that one of the old timers who had recently had brain cancer was selling his RC airplanes real cheap. I ended up buying two airplanes from him with both engines slightly froze up. This is an old GP big stick 40 size plane i think as that what the manual said that came with it. I took the engine out and put in my new OS 46 AX! I took out to the field and have been fly at least once a week for the last month!
I took the Thunder Tiger 46 out and mounted it on my test stand and oiled it up with Marvel air tool oil. I then heated the engine up with my heat gun and it loosened up! I then filled my fuel tank up and applied power to the glow pug and it fired right up on the first flip with my electric starter. I ran a whole tank of fuel thru and it was just purring like all my OS engines do!

Old 06-06-2023, 08:20 PM
  #11405  
David John Davis
Senior Member
 
David John Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 294
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

I'm a great admirer of Thunder Tiger engines. I have a PRO 46 in the club's Boomerang trainer, a 91 FS in a Senior Telemaster and a 54 FS in the missing Ukrainian Baron as well as another 91 FS currently unemployed. They all run splendidly.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:44 AM
  #11406  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi Mike, Ive talked to you before and i live about 2 hours to south of you on I-44. Are there any RC hobby shops left in okc that sell nitro fuel? I was buying some down in fort worth and I was there a few months back and they didnt have any! I am going to call them in couple of weeks and see if they have gotten any in! The shop look like it been hit by a hurricane as they had very little of parts left! it was pretty said to see!
Michael Johnston
Originally Posted by mkjohnston
I was at my RC club meeting last month and it was they said that one of the old timers who had recently had brain cancer was selling his RC airplanes real cheap. I ended up buying two airplanes from him with both engines slightly froze up. This is an old GP big stick 40 size plane i think as that what the manual said that came with it. I took the engine out and put in my new OS 46 AX! I took out to the field and have been fly at least once a week for the last month!
I took the Thunder Tiger 46 out and mounted it on my test stand and oiled it up with Marvel air tool oil. I then heated the engine up with my heat gun and it loosened up! I then filled my fuel tank up and applied power to the glow pug and it fired right up on the first flip with my electric starter. I ran a whole tank of fuel thru and it was just purring like all my OS engines do!
Sadly, I must report the only place you may find fuel is Hobby Town in Norman, and I would call first. It's own by a R/C pilot. The 2 car racing stores are all electric and there are no airplane shops left. I have a TT .46 and except for replacing the original carb (it was stripped when I bought it) I have had no problems with it.
Mike
Old 06-07-2023, 06:21 PM
  #11407  
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita Falls,TX, TX
Posts: 489
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I remember back in the 1970's where you could get a Thunder Tiger 19 for $19.99 from Hobby Shack! I remember my mentor telling me years back that He and big John his flying buddy bought one and tried it out. He said they started it up and there was no difference between wide open throttle and idle. He did say it was quite a power house that you couldn't get it idle at all! He always called them Thunder Chickens. ha
Btw Mike, Thank you for the update on the hobby shop status in OKC, I will have to find that hobby town in Norman if I come up there in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by mkjohnston; 06-07-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:05 PM
  #11408  
David John Davis
Senior Member
 
David John Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 294
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

We spent a couple of hours yesterday looking for the Ukrainian Baron without success, then Benoit fired up his "paramoteur," whatever they are in English, and he found it immediately! It had crashed into the other side of the hedge which separated two fields. Frans and I had been within two metres of it without realising! The wing is in two pieces and the tail is loose on the fuselage mount but the fuselage itself seems to be sound. I had made the longerons out of basswood rather than balsa so that may be the reason why it survived.

I have not yet examined the wreckage to see what caused the crash. Photo to follow. The engine seems to be sound. The propeller isn't broken.

We are off to La Coupe tomorrow with Bertie Baron!
Old 06-07-2023, 07:12 PM
  #11409  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Good flying!
Old 06-07-2023, 11:58 PM
  #11410  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,138
Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

My Ukrainian Baron as recovered. A group of ants had made their home in the fuselage.




Old 06-08-2023, 04:41 AM
  #11411  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

the ants moved in because they thought it was one sweet bird!
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (06-08-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 02:52 PM
  #11412  
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)
 
flyboy2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 705
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

That poor pilot really does have ants in his pants! (A slang term for being impatient and in a hurry.)
Old 06-11-2023, 12:49 AM
  #11413  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,138
Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts
Unhappy La Coupe Des Barons 2023.

I'm afraid that I didn't do at all well this year and have probably finished dead last from a field of about seventy pilots who turned up.

The Ukarinian Baron being hors de combat I was forced to use my British Baron which is a bit less stable with a reduced wing area. Frans, Tiko and I drove down to the flying field on the Friday, a four and a half hour drive, and camped in tents overnight. It rained a lot but the tents were water proof.

We were drawn in the last group along with three other four stroke users. The first round involves hitting one-metre high balsa wood sticks . We were all in the air when two of the other Barons hit the ground. We were told to fly high to allow a couple of lads to retrieve the crashed models. I was some distance downwind when my Baron seemed to fall out of control and hit the ground. We recovered it, found nothing untoward so I'm quite prepared to admit to pilot error, I even used a different transmitter to the one I had used with the Ukrainian Baron. We repaired it, wonderful stuff cyano, but we were too late to enter the second round. So having crashed two Barons in ten days I felt rather demoralised so I decided to pack up and go home. Arrived home four hours later very tired.

Next year I plan to enter a Baron powered by a Laser 50 but I don't like driving long distances these days. We'll see.
The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 06:56 AM
  #11414  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Just not your year, it happens. Still it's better than staying home twiddling your thumbs!
The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 09:23 AM
  #11415  
David John Davis
Senior Member
 
David John Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 294
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Just not your year, it happens. Still it's better than staying home twiddling your thumbs!
Oh that never happens! There are always models to build and repair, gardens to work in, books to read, music to listen to, meals to cook, housework to do, friends to visit, and guitars to play!

Ps. I did not finish in last position, I was the second to last of the pilots who turned up. The other guy crashed on take-off! Then there were several who didn't turn up at all including the Jacquot brothers who are always up there or thereabouts. They were included in the fifteen or twenty who did not turn up at all! Mind you the weather forecast was poor.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:53 AM
  #11416  
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)
 
flyboy2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 705
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Some days you're the windshield. Some days you're the bug.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:01 AM
  #11417  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

David
I have been reading your adventure and it felt very familiar to me. I built a Royal B-25 with Wankel engines everyone said the Wankels would not produce enough power to fly the B-25, As usual I ignored them and proceeded, the maiden flight proved the Wankel to have more than enough power as the plane jumped off the ground and was capable of a pretty good stunt pattern, so much so my push rods (Nyrods) buckled and I had to fly at a much reduced power level or the controls would not deflect in the air stream. with the push rods replaced with dowels things looked good. so I prepared for a up coming scale contest and Test flight number seven occurred without incident until it entered the glide path to land and the test pilot shouted he lost aileron control then elevator, the bird was on a good glide path but a little fast and impacted nose down and sprayed balsa, engines and fuel for at least fifty feet the B-25 was now history. I still have the Engines but never built another B-25. Though I have everything needed. This has occurred more than once for me and I now will shut my plans down if more than two negative events happen with any plane in the same day. I found a bad battery cell in the B-25 flight pack.

The Ukraine baron looked like it clipped something with the wing tip which folded the wing, minimal damage! You will fare better next year!
Old 06-12-2023, 07:23 AM
  #11418  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,138
Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

While I was finishing second to last in the competition, Frans was filming!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SDY...sBue11ea2/view
Old 06-12-2023, 07:34 AM
  #11419  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
While I was finishing second to last in the competition, Frans was filming!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SDY...sBue11ea2/view
Had to request access was denied entry.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:38 AM
  #11420  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Flyer
I saw on the P-38 brotherhood thread you had some machine guns made by "Rosaminiature" If so how was the detail I am thinking of ordering 1/4 scale ma duces from them instead of molding my own. can I get a picture of yours?
Old 06-12-2023, 12:12 PM
  #11421  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,167
Received 275 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
Flyer
I saw on the P-38 brotherhood thread you had some machine guns made by "Rosaminiature" If so how was the detail I am thinking of ordering 1/4 scale ma duces from them instead of molding my own. can I get a picture of yours?
Donny, mine were WWI for a DR.1. The products look just like what you see on the site, here is a link:

https://rosaminiatures.squarespace.com/
Old 06-12-2023, 02:49 PM
  #11422  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Donny, mine were WWI for a DR.1. The products look just like what you see on the site, here is a link:

https://rosaminiatures.squarespace.com/
Thanks
the picture of the m2 is of poor quality and from what I can see it is not the a/c version so I think I will just mold my own.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:06 PM
  #11423  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,357
Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

I finally got up enough nerve to climb the stairs to my shop, it was a bit hairy but I made it. all my fears dissipated, no damage from the storm but I am not sure why the circuit breaker for the room tripped

The parts for my wifes clothes washer arrived a few minutes ago and it looks like I saved us a couple thousand bucks not having to replace the machine. I guess the storm fried the circuit board, the replacement board seems fine. the storm cost us a few pennies but now I watch a 85 inch TV the sad part is the remote control is so small it is hard to use and this "smart" TV menu stuff suck!
Old 06-13-2023, 07:33 AM
  #11424  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,603
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
I finally got up enough nerve to climb the stairs to my shop, it was a bit hairy but I made it. all my fears dissipated, no damage from the storm but I am not sure why the circuit breaker for the room tripped

The parts for my wifes clothes washer arrived a few minutes ago and it looks like I saved us a couple thousand bucks not having to replace the machine. I guess the storm fried the circuit board, the replacement board seems fine. the storm cost us a few pennies but now I watch a 85 inch TV the sad part is the remote control is so small it is hard to use and this "smart" TV menu stuff suck!
It's good that you could repair the drier. It seems like a lot of brand name appliances have the same parts under different labels. If you are willing to search the parts are often out there
Old 06-13-2023, 08:59 AM
  #11425  
Telemaster Sales UK
 
Telemaster Sales UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Measnes, La Creuse, France.
Posts: 2,138
Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mgnostic
It's good that you could repair the drier. It seems like a lot of brand name appliances have the same parts under different labels. If you are willing to search the parts are often out there
I know what you mean!

I had a brand new kitchen installed in my house when I bought it. All of the appliances, including the gas hob, were by the German electronics company Bosch. I found myself continually burning dinners because I could never get the simmer low enough. Then I stumbled across a video on YouTube in which an Irishman explained how to reduce the heat of the gas at the lowest setting. This simply involved removing the nobs and the rubber seals below them then moving a screw to reduce the flow of gas. In fifteen minutes I'd got them all working perfectly.

The thing was that the irishman's hob was a cheap and cheerful thing but under the hood it was exactly the same as mine. I'd paid through the nose for some black paint and a Bosch sticker!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.