Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 06-13-2023, 10:36 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 247 Likes on 221 Posts

I worked on my own appliances for years most major appliance manufacturers get parts from the same part manufacturers. That said the quality and how heavy duty the parts used vary by brand and model.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:17 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I worked on my own appliances for years most major appliance manufacturers get parts from the same part manufacturers. That said the quality and how heavy duty the parts used vary by brand and model.
10 years ago, the thermal fuse on my Kenmore gas dryer shut it down. Plus, the automatic temperature control was bad. I found out it was manufactured by Whirlpool and stenciled as Kenmore.

Replaced the main computer board (a component on the board had fried), thermal fuse and thoroughly cleaned the lint dust throughout. Lint accumulation was the thermal fuse blow cause. It is now 22 years old and still works like new.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

This subject got me thinking, I have buying most of my appliance parts from the same local independent parts house since 1981 (they opened in 1974). The whole time the store has stayed in the same old brick building in the middle of a residential area with same two guys have working the parts counter, we are growing old together!
Old 06-14-2023, 05:43 AM
donnyman

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

I just got off the phone speaking to the company that sent me the control board for our washing machine, the board failed and locked the machine up. Close examination showed a component had been cut open, as it turned out that component controlled the drain pump and caused the problem. Another board is on it's way. they told me to keep the board they sent, I think I can make repairs.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:05 AM
pawfectiongroomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's wonderful to see someone appreciating the roots of our beloved hobby and inviting fellow enthusiasts to share their memories and experiences. As you rightly pointed out, the advancements in our hobby have been remarkable over the years, but it's essential to remember where it all began.

The nostalgia of the 1940s brings back memories of the glue we used, the horsehide type, and the introduction of the cellulose type that came in a bottle with a cork. It's amazing to reflect on how far we've come since then. Building models that wouldn't fly was a common challenge, but it was all part of the learning process that shaped us as enthusiasts.

Lawn darts and chuck gliders hold a special place in our hearts, as they allowed us to experience the joy of flight even with the simplest of designs. Thinking back to those moments, we felt like true aviators, perhaps even akin to legendary figures like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. And yes, who could forget the iconic characters such as Don Winslow of the Coast Guard or Sky King? They added an extra layer of inspiration and excitement to our aviation dreams.

Control-line flying was undoubtedly at the pinnacle during those years, and radio control seemed like a mystical realm reserved for the fortunate few. Radio sets were heavy, and gas tubes were the norm. Helicopters and jets were distant dreams, and flight times of just five minutes seemed like an impossible feat.

This thread that you've created serves as a gathering place for those of us who have experienced the golden era of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. It's a place where we can relive and share our memories, creating an atmosphere of camaraderie and nostalgia. By bringing together enthusiasts from different generations, we can celebrate the journey of our hobby, from its humble beginnings to the incredible advancements of today.

So, let's take a seat and share our stories and recollections. Let's revel in the memories of the models we built, the challenges we faced, and the joy we experienced in those bygone eras. Together, we can create a space where the spirit of old-time aviation thrives, and the bonds among fellow enthusiasts grow stronger. Here's to the good times and the enduring spirit of our cherished hobby!
Old 06-14-2023, 07:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by pawfectiongroomer
It's wonderful to see someone appreciating the roots of our beloved hobby and inviting fellow enthusiasts to share their memories and experiences. As you rightly pointed out, the advancements in our hobby have been remarkable over the years, but it's essential to remember where it all began.

The nostalgia of the 1940s brings back memories of the glue we used, the horsehide type, and the introduction of the cellulose type that came in a bottle with a cork. It's amazing to reflect on how far we've come since then. Building models that wouldn't fly was a common challenge, but it was all part of the learning process that shaped us as enthusiasts.

Lawn darts and chuck gliders hold a special place in our hearts, as they allowed us to experience the joy of flight even with the simplest of designs. Thinking back to those moments, we felt like true aviators, perhaps even akin to legendary figures like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. And yes, who could forget the iconic characters such as Don Winslow of the Coast Guard or Sky King? They added an extra layer of inspiration and excitement to our aviation dreams.

Control-line flying was undoubtedly at the pinnacle during those years, and radio control seemed like a mystical realm reserved for the fortunate few. Radio sets were heavy, and gas tubes were the norm. Helicopters and jets were distant dreams, and flight times of just five minutes seemed like an impossible feat.

This thread that you've created serves as a gathering place for those of us who have experienced the golden era of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. It's a place where we can relive and share our memories, creating an atmosphere of camaraderie and nostalgia. By bringing together enthusiasts from different generations, we can celebrate the journey of our hobby, from its humble beginnings to the incredible advancements of today.

So, let's take a seat and share our stories and recollections. Let's revel in the memories of the models we built, the challenges we faced, and the joy we experienced in those bygone eras. Together, we can create a space where the spirit of old-time aviation thrives, and the bonds among fellow enthusiasts grow stronger. Here's to the good times and the enduring spirit of our cherished hobby!
You forgot to mention the average age is 3 days older than dirt!
Old 06-14-2023, 07:23 AM
mgnostic

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I just got off the phone speaking to the company that sent me the control board for our washing machine, the board failed and locked the machine up. Close examination showed a component had been cut open, as it turned out that component controlled the drain pump and caused the problem. Another board is on it's way. they told me to keep the board they sent, I think I can make repairs.
I think a lot of times it is cheaper for the company to eat the cost of a small component than to pay for shipping it back.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:58 PM
donnyman

Pawfectiongroomer

YEA! what you said. Welcome!!!!
Old 06-14-2023, 05:50 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I think a lot of times it is cheaper for the company to eat the cost of a small component than to pay for shipping it back.
Well considering, it was a used part so you know they didn't have much tied up in it and what they charged me they didn't have to much of a cost to eat.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Welcome to the forum Pawfectiongroomer! You can groom my dog anytime!

Personally, I never liked control-line models. I built a few but much preferred free flight models in the Fifties and Sixties, radio control being out of reach at that time financially. Being a Shropshire Lad there was plenty of space for us to fly in! I only fly r/c now. At seventy-five I can no longer chase free flight models nor climb trees to rescue them.

I see you live in London. Where do you fly from?

Old 06-15-2023, 07:10 AM
mgnostic

It's interesting how some dogs totally adapt to the flying field. I went to a fun fly last weekend and there were at least a half dozen dogs. They were all remarkably chill despite the crowds and some fairly loud and smoky 3-D fliers. My kid's border collie couldn't have handled it.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:20 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just for Giggles!

The following users liked this post:
bisco (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:04 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Finally got the video sorted out not that there's much footage of my flying skills or lack thereof!

Some nice footage of the dog and the sfumato effect is probably due to moisture entering the camera lens.

My body language in the end says it all!

Please bear in mind that Frans's first language is not English.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:10 AM
guapoman2000

Mr. Davis,
Nice Video and seems like a lot a FUN at your RC Club.
Cheers,
Carlos
Old 06-16-2023, 03:36 AM
guapoman2000

Mr. Davis,
I too have a World War One (WW1) German RC FLAIR MAGNATILLA!
It is a terrific flying model and performs some mild Acro!
Some pictures!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Airplane-Model

Old 06-16-2023, 04:27 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I used to have one which I finished in Austrian colours.

Ps. La Coupe Des Barons is held much further south than here and several clubs send their pilots to participate. Normally about seventy entrants turn up but this year only forty-nine because of a poor weather forecast.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

In spite of the weather it looks like fun was had by all. I'm glad you are able to go a just a but envious!

Mike
Old 06-16-2023, 04:19 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Many Thanx for your Barons Video David, Great Job!

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
In spite of the weather it looks like fun was had by all. I'm glad you are able to go a just a but envious!

Mike

Hi David;

Greetings to you from ever warm. and getting real hot Wickenburg, Arizona.

As usual, I always watch your Barons' videos, and really enjoy same. Was that really a relative of Mr. Spock at the meet, did he fly? I was amazed at the variety of colour schemes presented by the fliers, all different themes on the same canvas.

Will close for now, again many thanx for your video efforts and sharing them with the rest'o'da'woild, I/we surely appreciate your work, best regards,

Joe Nagy. [79 nest month, & happily destroying balsa wood for over 72 years now; a lifetime in the hobby, damn but I love it!!]
Old 06-16-2023, 09:13 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Mr Spock's relative, Alain Crosset, flew the 224 Baron which you may see at 08.23. I believe he builds a new Baron every year. Two years ago he turned up with an extremely attractive lady who launched the model for him. That year his model was finished in Brazilian colours: yellow, blue and green so I assume that his companion must have been from Brazil. I believe that he was the first to crash his Baron this year. I saw it on the ground totally beyond economical repair.

The modern version of the event was founded by Vincent Saffiotti who flies the No 1 Baron in Japanese colours. He adopts the persona of a fictitious Japanese fighter ace, Tomio Harachi, who I believe featured in an American TV series set in the Pacific during the Second World War. The overall winner of La Coupe Des Barons 2023 was Christian Bolis who is a good friend of Vincent and flies the No 2 Baron. His model, finished to represent an American Pacific Theatre fighter, features rounded off wing tips and tail surfaces similar to the Chance Vought Corsair. You are allowed to alter the shape of the wing and tail provided a Clark Y aerofoil is retained and the wing and tail surfaces are within 10% of the original.

Both of the fuselages of my Barons survived the crashes. I put this down to my having used basswood for the longerons instead of balsa. I may build another wing for the British Baron. If I do, I will increase its wing span by 10% to make up for the extra weight of the longerons and four stroke engine and restore the stock dihedral. I plan to go to next year's Coupe but I think that event will be my last. I hate driving long distances these days. By the same token I am planning to drive to England in August to participate in a vintage flying event. I expect that that will be my last visit to England by road, though I may liquify some assets and buy a car rather more comfortable than my old van!

The official video and photographs of the event have not been released yet. I will post a link to them once they are available.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Happy Father's Day you bums!
mgnostic (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 07:18 AM
guapoman2000

mgnostic (06-18-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 03:15 PM
donnyman

I've Been yappin about my wife's clothes washer which appears to be back on line now that the second control board is installed.
a thought came to me about my wife's clothes dryer, it's gas and the heat flame would only come on for a few seconds before it shut down so we were ready to buy another machine for 600 bucks but the repairman checked the outside vent and came back with a huge ball of lint and the dryer is working like a champ.. now I knew that the vent needed cleaning but it slipped my mind and the heat sensors shut the machine down, just like my air conditioner shut down because my water drain clogged, the repairman cleaned it and things are cooling down again so like G Ghostler said in post 11427, check those vents and drains, I'd be 120 dollars richer if I had...................................... Them pancakes look mighty good!

belated Happy pappy day!

Last edited by donnyman; 06-19-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:20 PM
bisco

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

and a potential fire source
Old 06-20-2023, 02:23 PM
donnyman

I have been lurking in the Outerzone free plan site, they have downloads of books for free, some of you guys was speaking of books, it might interest you to check the OZ site. I've downloaded three books with loads of scale drawing data.....check it out!

The VA has made me a official disabled vet, I even get disabled vet license plates which are cheaper and make some benefits available to me. my home search and purchase will be a bit easier. The amount of paperwork was hard to believe but is now worth it. My son has joined the hunt for a home a reasonable distance from Little Rock Arkansas so his commute to work will be less. we will share the house with him until we find our own. Gotta be close to relatives now that we are old.
bisco (06-20-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:54 AM
mgnostic

Hippocketaeronautics.com has quite a good selection of both books and magazines. The plan selection pretty much parallels OZ but there is a lot more in the way of other printed materials.
I gotta agree, having family close by has it's perks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.