Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 08-08-2023, 07:57 AM
  #11551  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,084
Received 258 Likes on 227 Posts
Default

Thanks for checking in with us old curmudgeons! We'll overlook your wet behind the ears age. I would recommend getting him active in the refurnishing and possibly introduce him to building his own. There a a number of places you can short kits for acceptable trainers like https://www.balsaworkbench.com and https://store.laser-design-services.com and plans galore free to download from https://outerzone.co.uk you can them printed locally at Office Depot, Staples, and local blueprint shops.
Mike
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 09:18 AM
  #11552  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Good see you back online Donny! How is the cancer fight and home search coming along?
HI! The cancer is not showing itself the needles in my butt is seeing to that. Now house hunting Is a pain (we maybe to persnickety) we always find things we do not like and at $300,000+ we wont accept any bull or neighbors close by. so the answer is SLOW.
The following 3 users liked this post by donnyman:
easystar123 (08-25-2023), scottrc (08-10-2023), Telemaster Sales UK (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 09:32 AM
  #11553  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Flicker

You look real cool with that outfit and bike, be careful on it, my son is tuning one of his bikes now.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:04 AM
  #11554  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DugoutMyOSnitroAfter19yrs
Im not 50+, I just wanted to say yall old school community are awesome. When I saw them ripping around in the sky by the Iola old car grounds. That was the very well groomed runway. Local nitro flyer spot. Id ride my bike there every week when they got together.
just to watch was awesome. To see the different models that took flight.
The regulars even brought a two radio trainer and taught me how. With as much grass cutting money I could get they all brought components and we built my own. Life goes by too fast but Im currently refurbishing that plane and look forward to my son being able to take flight. Hes going to learn on a nitro first.
thank you all part of the hobby community.
Welcome to the fold! My son learned on a nitro bird and we had many hours of fun. A lot of time has gone by and I am leaving the greater part of this hobby so I have a bunch of stuff to let go but have trouble getting to it due to my wobbly body. If you will please fill out you the rest of you avatar info so we know where you reside, you may have neighbors here.
we don't give a cup of beans about how old one is as long as they are respectful of others

WELCOME!
The following 2 users liked this post by donnyman:
easystar123 (08-09-2023), Telemaster Sales UK (08-08-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:57 AM
  #11555  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

I have been supervising and paying for the restoration of my daughters mobile home, the heat is fearsome and I can't stay out in it too long it drains my strength real fast.
we expect the work to be completed on Monday (14 AUG) but little things keep popping up delaying the process. It will be sold as soon as possible. preparing to move to my new home if I ever find one.


Old 08-13-2023, 07:44 AM
  #11556  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

I don't envy you. It looks like you are running about as hot as we are in north Texas. It's been running 105+ for most of the last month. I live next to an irrigated hayfield so as soon as it cools off enough to do anything outside the mosquitos are swarming.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:28 AM
  #11557  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I don't envy you. It looks like you are running about as hot as we are in north Texas. It's been running 105+ for most of the last month. I live next to an irrigated hayfield so as soon as it cools off enough to do anything outside the mosquitos are swarming.
I do not envy you the mosquitos for sure. It is so dry the soil here has huge cracks opening up and nothing is growing even the slab of my home is shifting and doors wont latch. by After noon time we expect at least 105 but it is generally hotter. every day a wild fire is reported, many acres have been scorched I am glad my fields have been cut and harvested But I am worried the hay bales may flame up. I have a pile of dead tree limbs to burn but not until after a good rain. I hope this winter isn't as cold as the last my trees wont tolerate it.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:39 AM
  #11558  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,084
Received 258 Likes on 227 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I don't envy you. It looks like you are running about as hot as we are in north Texas. It's been running 105+ for most of the last month. I live next to an irrigated hayfield so as soon as it cools off enough to do anything outside the mosquitos are swarming.
They make a organic garlic concentrate you mix with water and a bit of soap and spray on the yard it works for 6 weeks or until it rains. I have tried it really works, the smell is gone on less than an hour. The mosquitos won't come near it and it safe for humans and pets.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:21 AM
  #11559  
Clean
 
Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kearney, MO
Posts: 1,504
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

It was an active weekend in Kansas City. Not so much yesterday unless you count watching rain gauges explode, we got 5 inches at my house. But we celebrated National Model Aviation day had a good sized group of modelers, some guests and prospects though I've seen more in previous years (mostly from the posts, always busy) and I actually got the time to go play. Set several models out but ended up just playing with my SPAD Ultra Spad Stick with TGY 52 on it. Photographer took some pretty good pictures of it out on a Bomb Run.



And back in from the sorty.



Even though I had no takers on Control Line training time, I flew my SPAD BustaHOR a bit.






It was 90+ and humid at the field but we had a pretty good time, drank a bunch of water and had a bunch of flying.
More pictures of better looking planes are available at :
and

Spent a good bit of time, draggin, dropping and arranging photos BUT it just stuck em up full size. Hmmmmm, sorry bout that.



Last edited by Clean; 08-14-2023 at 05:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clean:
GallopingGhostler (08-17-2023), mgnostic (08-14-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 01:44 AM
  #11560  
David John Davis
Senior Member
 
David John Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 270
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

I drove back to England on Sunday. I am going to fly at the Cocklebarrow Farm Vintage Fly-In on Sunday 20th August. Pictures to follow.
The following users liked this post:
easystar123 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:18 AM
  #11561  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,084
Received 258 Likes on 227 Posts
Default

Good luck David!
Old 08-17-2023, 08:30 AM
  #11562  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by David John Davis
I drove back to England on Sunday. I am going to fly at the Cocklebarrow Farm Vintage Fly-In on Sunday 20th August. Pictures to follow.
Have fun at Cocklebarrow. I've seen a few videos of the event. It looks like a relaxed fun event.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:54 AM
  #11563  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Donnyman or Flier in OKC, any chance that either of you are going to make it to the swap meet in Allen, Tx this weekend?
Old 08-17-2023, 01:37 PM
  #11564  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,084
Received 258 Likes on 227 Posts
Default

Matt, thanks for asking but I won't be able to go. I think I mentioned No.3 son and wife have a second child (a boy and soon to be No. 5 grandson) due on Dec. 23rd. Well, No.1 son and his wife are both 44 yrs old and have announced they are expecting their first child late February 2024! He is a chip off the old block my father was just short of 40 when I was born and I have a younger brother who came 2 years later!
The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (08-17-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 10:05 AM
  #11565  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Matt, thanks for asking but I won't be able to go. I think I mentioned No.3 son and wife have a second child (a boy and soon to be No. 5 grandson) due on Dec. 23rd. Well, No.1 son and his wife are both 44 yrs old and have announced they are expecting their first child late February 2024! He is a chip off the old block my father was just short of 40 when I was born and I have a younger brother who came 2 years later!
I hear ya. Dad was 40 when I was born and my paternal grandfather was 80. That was a little uncommon back then but it doesn't seem unusual these days.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:37 AM
  #11566  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mgnostic
Donnyman or Flier in OKC, any chance that either of you are going to make it to the swap meet in Allen, Tx this weekend?
I would truly enjoy a swapmeet but my condition wouldn't allow it. and since I no longer subscribe to the AMA my access to when these events take place is lost to me.
If I could go it would help me sell off some of this stuff from my down sizing. Hopefully I will be able in the near future.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:56 PM
  #11567  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

The swap meet was pretty nice. At least what I was present for. I got there in time to put a half dozen planes in the auction and pick up some smalls. So I mostly accomplished what I was going for but I missed the best of the early bargains due to getting stuck in traffic. Even on a Saturday morning it took over an hour to cover 25 miles between Denton and McKinney. The Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex is spreading faster than the road system can manage. Urban sprawl at its worst.
Donny, what I have seen lately is a couple of folks who have advertised their surplus hobby stuff as a single collection, all one price, take it or leave it. You will get a few tire kickers and low ballers but usually somebody takes it.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:02 AM
  #11568  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

I would have enjoyed the swap meet also but couldn't have carried much to it. As far as traffic is concerned I try to travel in the early hours when traffic is light and use the back roads as much as I can. traffic in this once was small town is unbelievable due to he growth rate now that Tesla and Samsung are buying and building everywhere. Over sixty large companies are due to move into this area one of them just purchased 262 acres down the street from me. We are selling our property and moving away.

I may offer to sell out wholesale but I will lose my shirt for sure, I have more stuff than the average hobby shop.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:45 AM
  #11569  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
I would have enjoyed the swap meet also but couldn't have carried much to it. As far as traffic is concerned I try to travel in the early hours when traffic is light and use the back roads as much as I can. traffic in this once was small town is unbelievable due to he growth rate now that Tesla and Samsung are buying and building everywhere. Over sixty large companies are due to move into this area one of them just purchased 262 acres down the street from me. We are selling our property and moving away.

I may offer to sell out wholesale but I will lose my shirt for sure, I have more stuff than the average hobby shop.
I can't really blame you for selling and moving. Even without Tesla, Austin was already growing faster than the infrastructure can cope with. One of my nieces works for TXDOT and she lived on the west side of Austin. With the onset of Covid she started working from home and has continued to do so. Since then, she sold her property at a considerable profit and now lives in North Texas. She still has to go to Austin once a month or so but prefers to be closer to family and away from big city. I don't think she misses it much.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:30 PM
  #11570  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

we left Austin over thirty years ago and moved east knowing this was the only direction Austin could expand and Austin tried but was halted by the courts because they were not providing city services, Manor (the town I am in) and pflugerville convinced the local homeowners to join their ETJ'S which blocked Austin from annexing this corridor. (HWY 290E)

This town only had a yellow blinking traffic light controlling two lanes of traffic but now has at least ten full traffic lights to control six lanes of traffic. and has expanded with many housing areas of 450 homes with elementary and high schools that looks like the Olympic stadium not to long ago we could not afford a swimming pool. commercial properties is gobbling up the real estate. I got lost one evening when I did not recognize the HWY I was on for quite a distance though In my mind I knew I hadn't made any wrong turns the closer I got to home the more I recognized my surroundings. The size of the commercial properties is scary, across the street from our flying field a commercial operation built Humongous buildings on at least 100 acres this place is looking like Chicago. My son and daughter have moved to Arkansas so we are looking for a home there also.

Last edited by donnyman; 08-20-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:12 AM
  #11571  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 1,560
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
we left Austin over thirty years ago and moved east knowing this was the only direction Austin could expand and Austin tried but was halted by the courts because they were not providing city services, Manor (the town I am in) and pflugerville convinced the local homeowners to join their ETJ'S which blocked Austin from annexing this corridor. (HWY 290E)

This town only had a yellow blinking traffic light controlling two lanes of traffic but now has at least ten full traffic lights to control six lanes of traffic. and has expanded with many housing areas of 450 homes with elementary and high schools that looks like the Olympic stadium not to long ago we could not afford a swimming pool. commercial properties is gobbling up the real estate. I got lost one evening when I did not recognize the HWY I was on for quite a distance though In my mind I knew I hadn't made any wrong turns the closer I got to home the more I recognized my surroundings. The size of the commercial properties is scary, across the street from our flying field a commercial operation built Humongous buildings on at least 100 acres this place is looking like Chicago. My son and daughter have moved to Arkansas so we are looking for a home there also.
We are lucky in that when the Jaycees turned over the parkland where our flying field is located there was a provision that the flying field would be preserved. We are on the backside of a large park on the boundary between the park and a small lake so we are fairly well protected from developers. Our biggest risk in that regard is the frisbee golfers who have a tendency to cluelessly walk out in front of the runway.
I've noticed that a couple of some of the small towns have been pushing their city limits out as far as they can to beat Wichita Falls to the punch. They are trying to catch as many of the Mc Mansions and ranchettes in their tax base as they can. Of course if we ever lose Shepard Airforce Base this part of the world would shrivel like a grape on a hot rock.
What you describe about manor pretty much sums up what has happened with the small towns on the north side of Dallas-Ft. Worth.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:43 PM
  #11572  
donnyman
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,353
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
Default


This is the Tesla factory in Austin Texas, It is supposed to get it's own housing area. another is supposed to be built across the highway on the right, connected by a tunnel. Rumor has it ten of these will fit into the new Samsung building which I have to admit is Humongous but I will believe that when I see it. If all this does not collapse China's chip making day's is limited.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:58 PM
  #11573  
David John Davis
Senior Member
 
David John Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 270
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Flight of my Big Guff at the vintage fly-in at Cocklebarrow Farm, Gloucestershire, England, 20th August 2023. It was rather windy.

The following 3 users liked this post by David John Davis:
easystar123 (08-25-2023), Flicker (10-02-2023), HangarRash (08-24-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 01:10 AM
  #11574  
easystar123
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kilrea, County Derry, N.Ireland. United Kingdom
Posts: 178
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Flight of my Big Guff at the vintage fly-in at Cocklebarrow Farm, Gloucestershire, England, 20th August 2023. It was rather windy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35kRwvRQVI
Very nice flight David. Great sounding engine and a majestic looking plane. I enjoyed watching this.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:16 AM
  #11575  
easystar123
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kilrea, County Derry, N.Ireland. United Kingdom
Posts: 178
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Nice picture don't you think.


Brilliant picture.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.