Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-30-2023, 05:54 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 247 Likes on 221 Posts

Tiko, you go girl! Nice collection of airplanes!
Old 12-01-2023, 12:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

I tried to attach a brief video of the Radio Queen and my Super 60 in flight but without success. The video was taken on the Radio Queen's maiden flight before all of the alterations mentioned in Post 11869 had been put into effect. It was not pleasant to fly. if I increased power more than one or two clicks the model would climb alarmingly, if I reduced power I had no steering! Currently it's a lovely old model to fly and I look forward to seeing it fly again when Frans returns from Belgium on Monday.

Temperatures just above freezing are forecast for the next few days so I don't think I'll be flying much. I'll be concentrating on working on a rather more aerobatic project pictured below.

However, I had no trouble putting the video on RC Groups so if you click on the link and scroll down to Report 8, you should be able to see it. Please make allowances for English not being Frans's first language.

P.S The Keil Kraft Super 60 probably taught more British people to fly r/c than any other model up until the 1980s when models with foam veneered wings became popular and these were followed by ARTFs and foamies. Mine is the three-channel version, I may build an aileron wing for it one day if I live long enough!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-Radio-Queens

Galaxy Models Mystic awaiting the installation of the engine and radio. I made a horlicks of painting the canopy. I'll have to send off for another one and ask one of my more artistic clubmates to paint it for me!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-01-2023 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, have you gone over to the dark side and bought an ARF or did the covering just come out that good?
Old 12-01-2023, 05:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No it's a kit covered in a new type of film I'm using marketed by the Czech company Kavan. it's alright once you get used to it. I expect that it's made in China.

I've lost the banner again!
Old 12-01-2023, 06:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Some of the China-kote is pretty good stuff! Where did you get the covering? I'm starting to think half the battle of this hobby is finding sources of good quality supplies.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 12-01-2023 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:11 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I bought it from a company called Weymuller which is located in the north-east of France near the German border. I have always had good service from them. If I order stuff from them it's delivered to my door within three days, usually with two.

I bought the Mystic from Pegasus Models in England. It costs £185 (215€ or $234US) which is not too bad these days for a 74" (1.88 metre) kit.

I still don't have the banner so cannot provide links.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have heard good things about Pegasus Models.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:38 AM
mgnostic

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm starting to think half the battle of this hobby is finding sources of good quality supplies.
When has it not been? Even in the glory days you had to live close to a big city to have a well stocked hobby shop. Even then you would still have to order something once in a while, especially if you were doing something beyond a run of the mill sport plane. Of course there was the pleasure of drooling over a Sig or Tower catalogue.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mgnostic
When has it not been? Even in the glory days you had to live close to a big city to have a well stocked hobby shop. Even then you would still have to order something once in a while, especially if you were doing something beyond a run of the mill sport plane. Of course there was the pleasure of drooling over a Sig or Tower catalogue.
Sig and Tower catalogue RC Builder/Pilot p*rn!
Old 12-01-2023, 09:31 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Got the banner back this morning!

Weymuller are here: https://www.weymuller.fr/

I phoned Pegasus Models yesterday to order a new cockpit canopy. They are out of stock but they're ordering some more. They have my postal address on their records so I must have ordered the kit from France. I thought that I had picked it up on one of my jaunts to England! The shipping must have been pretty reasonable. Their website is here: https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/prod...=RC%20Aircraft

Once I have finished covering the ailerons I will need to hinge all of the control surfaces. If I were to build another one I would build, cover and hinge the the tail surfaces first before gluing them to the fuselage, ARTF style. As things are I will be dancing with a 5ft (1.55 metre) long fuselage trying to line up the hinges! At least that's something I can do in the warm!

Last edited by David John Davis; 12-02-2023 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Extra information
The following users liked this post:
shortround91 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 03:51 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Tiko and I were out in the garden sawing logs earlier this morning when we heard the distinctive cry of the Common European Crane flying south to their wintering grounds in Southern Spain and North Africa. They're very late this year, we used to see flocks of thousands of birds in flight every October but I've only seen a few hundred this year. Maybe they took a different route this year and the ones I'm seeing are just the rearguard.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:31 AM
shortround91

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone else here flying a Habu 50mm SS that keeps having issues of adhesive failure where the airframe is epoxied at the intake area?? My second one failed 2 days ago, was it an ugly landing yes however no damage to the rest of the plane at all of course other than breaking in half again. Easy fix but this is my second in a row that’s failed in the exact same area. I did put it back in totally stock form 3s using 2200 50-100c Spektrum packs. Here’s pics of where it breaks and a overview of the jet after the repair

Old 12-02-2023, 08:31 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Tiko and I were out in the garden sawing logs earlier this morning when we heard the distinctive cry of the Common European Crane flying south to their wintering grounds in Southern Spain and North Africa. They're very late this year, we used to see flocks of thousands of birds in flight every October but I've only seen a few hundred this year. Maybe they took a different route this year and the ones I'm seeing are just the rearguard.
We get that in Texas as well. Some years we see a lot of geese, other not so many. It's the same with monarch butterflies.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:19 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I've used Hobby King's "China-kote" and it was decent covering material, easier to work with than Monokote, has better stretch around curves, remains tight longer, plus looks decent. Bought it in longer lengths (5 meters?). But I hope they have come up with better stuff. Afterall, I was using Monokote back in early 1970's. That was the day when they didn't have the special hand held sealing irons yet. Instructions showed how to use a standard clothes iron.

That I did, but being ligher, the sealing irons made it easier. However when I couldn't find my iron, the clothes iron filled in nicely. (Just keep it clean. Remember, "Happy wife, happy life."
Old 12-06-2023, 07:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I had arranged or my Belgian protegé Frans Cooremans to come to the flying field yesterday afternoon to fly his Radio Queen, a vintage model and a replica of the first model aircraft to cross the English Channel. There was absolutely no wind and the temperature was a very reasonable 7C. I turned up with two models of my own, an ARTF Acrowot and an ARTF Super Frontier Senior trainer which is an ARTF SIG Kadet Senior clone. No sign of Frans so I rigged the Frontier and tried to start the engine, a new Laser 80 which has had three or four trouble-free flights to its credit. At first turn of the starter lots of unburnt fuel was ejected from the silencer. I found this strange as the Laser silencer isn't pressurised. Perhaps I'd over-choked it. Eventually I got the engine to start but it wouldn't pick up whatever adjustments I made.

With two electric flyers observing proceedings, there were only three of us there, I gave up on the trainer and started the Laser 70 in the Acrowot. I took off and climbed to altitude, I was trying to find out how to fly the model inverted. In fact I just had to flip the model onto its back and take my hands off the sticks. I set the model up for a landing, the approach was impeccable... until I hit a tree on the other side of the road! Depth perception has never been my strongest suit! After twenty minutes of looking in the wrong trees we found the fuselage on the ground. All of the underside sheeting was ripped away and the tailplane is a mess. I can't comment on the damage to the wing because it's still fifty feet up in a tree! I'll have to wait for a gale! Teach me to fly ARTFs!

That's the third Acrowot I've damaged in landing accidents. The first two which were kit-built models, were damaged when I landed them too quickly, not realising that an Acrowot is capable of flying both slowly and quickly.

I now only have four models in flying condition: two trainers and two vintage models. Perhaps I ought to stick to that sort of model! ☹️

Frans never turned up at all which was a shame because flying coditions would have been ideal for a vintage model.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:30 PM
FlyerInOKC

Don't think of it as a crash thick of it as freeing up limited hanger space!
Telemaster Sales UK (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:23 AM
mgnostic

My local flying field has "that" tree. It has eaten so many airplanes that we make an effort to point it out to newcomers so that they can avoid it. If you are a little low and too far to port it will grab your airplane as you come in to land.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 338 Likes on 270 Posts

Yep, the Whomping Willow

GallopingGhostler (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:34 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The Kite Eating Tree.
https://artinsights.com/charles-schu...-series-chomp/
Old 12-13-2023, 09:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It's a shame that I never got round to photographing the Acrowot's wing in the tree before the wind blew it down. It looked quite colourful amongst the bare branches.

I have been getting on with the Mystic and repairing the club's trainer, a Seagull Boomerang, pictures below.

Still some more to do.

This is what I started with.

Only the glue joints had sprung. With a little cleaning up and some clamps I've glued everything together using cyano.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, you guys need to quit feeding the trees!
Old 12-13-2023, 09:56 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No I was too late taking back control when the Boomerang struck the turf. I may replace the engine with something more powerful. With a fully sheeted wing, the Boomerang is quite heavy.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

No I was too late taking back control when the Boomerang struck the turf. I may replace the engine with something more powerful. With a fully sheeted wing, the Boomerang is quite heavy.
What size were you thinking of?
Old 12-13-2023, 11:27 AM
easystar123

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Hope you get the Boomerang fixed and flying again David. It's a great trainer.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:23 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What size were you thinking of?
It's a toss up between my Enya 50 and my Irvine 52. I love them both and hate to think of them in the paws of ham-fisted beginners. Having said that with the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO the Boomerang requires a long take off run so teaching beginners to take off could be difficult.

Oh and Aidan, I'll get it flying again, no two ways about that. I'd get it flying before Christmas if I were teetotal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.